Dragon Age: Origins and Choice 2.0

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Dragon Age: Origins may be the first game to not only make its moral decisions hard, but to make them count.

Huh, well glad it doesn't look so clear cut, hopefully most of the game will be shades of grey like this.

Sounds awesome. I hadn't really been too interested in Dragon Age: Origins as I heard mention it looked a bit meh~ but if they have that kind of decision consistently I may need to reassess.

Sigh. So many good games coming up, so little time...

This is my one word reaction: SOLD.

Holy crap, that's a good scenario. I think I'd go Chaotic Good on my partners, killing them, taking the urn and using it to cast hope on the people (while using a bit of the ashes to heal the king). Perhaps the game even lets you lie and say your partners were killed during a battle.

If they are actually going to try to put full thought into actions, and making it such a big deal as they are, it might be worth a try. I've just kinda put it aside, but now I'm rethinking that if they actually do pull through with it.

That sounds like it'll work out great. And keep things in the grey area is what'll stand it out better, than say Fallout 3 or Mass Effect. Give the choice, but make it not cut and dry.

Meh.

Seriously, so many other games have described story elements like that, some even done it better. Yet when it comes to the crunch, it's not all they crack it up to be.

Wow, this sounds really interesting, this senerio alone made my head spin. Hell I love RPG's, but I have no clue how I would handle this situation.

Holy shit, BioWare.

I think I just got jerked from "fan" to "fanboy" in nothing flat.

Must...worship...BioWare...

I have been ignoring Dragon Age for a while now, but i must say, this little tidbit did perk my ears... I mean, the people who write for the Escapist have always had a view that is alot more sobering, and so much less about hype in the past, that when one of them comes out and openly praises a game element in this manner, it is smart to pay attention.

Still, there a a handful of good games coming out that are already stretching the boundaries of my wallet, and i dont know if i am going to get to all of them.... Maybe i can just buy each separately, filling out that gamestop survey each time, praying to win one of those $500 gift cards...

Too...much...moral...ambiguity...*head explodes*

So glad I pre-ordered this sucker last weekend. Since I'm getting the ps3 version, I'll have an extra two weeks or so to play the hell out of Borderlands.

Knowing that there is moral choices in this game, I declare Yahtzee MUST review this, simply so we know how he feels about this moral choice system.

I better be able to take magical urn of immortality instead of leave/destroy. I'd like not dying very much.

I'm planning on getting this anyway, but this put it near the top of my holiday list.

One word:

Awesome.

There is no way this game is not going to blow me away.

Spoiler tags?

...sounds cool. But I wanted to get it anyway.

Hey question, can you possibly convince your party members that taking the Urn with you and using it's powers to aid your army in defeating your enemy, then returning it?

I mean it's simply saying "Lets take this tool with us, use it for good and right, and then return it to it's place of worship.

ok, i'm buying it, i am so goddamn buying this

Ah Bioware, nicely able to see beyond "good" and "evil".

That's an improvement over what they had, but the fantastical-quest context somehow makes the situation less compelling.

-- Alex

Ah yes! Now I can murder everyone in new and exciting ways, excellent.

-Joe

two.......more.........mont...hs.

Susan Arendt:

Dragon Age: Origins may be the first game to not only make its moral decisions hard, but to make them count.

So like The Witcher?

KarumaK:
I better be able to take magical urn of immortality instead of leave/destroy. I'd like not dying very much.

This was my first thought upon hearing the situation, so I was disappointed that it was never mentioned.

Susan Arendt:

...you too Susan?

Peter Molyneux has let us done so many times.... please don't just raise our hopes.

Sounds good, if anyone can finally give us some good choices to make in games, it's Bioware. I've long since given up hope of getting anything but black and white choices from Lionhead....

So basically they're trying to do what The Witcher already did extremely well. I wish them the best.

This game just keeps getting better everytime they bring out some news...well i'm glad it's doing well.The toolset is also bound to give some really good stuff...Bioware rocks!!!

hansari:
Peter Molyneux has let us done so many times.... please don't just raise our hopes.

Hey, it's your own fault for beliveing him more than once. Also, Bioware has a far better track record than Molyneux :)

Yes yes yes! Moral ambiguity! Grey! Sweet, delicious grey! Yet another reason for me to love BioWare!

Fanboyism aside, that particular scenario sounds absolutely brilliant. For the record, I think the Baldur's Gate series did handle the moral choices very well, but they had nothing on this. This sounds like it's going to be a very, very good game. I just wonder if it will live up to its claim to being the spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate.

If it does, I'm going to have to upgrade my PC.

I cannot wait for this game! A couple of days ago I was all "meh" about this game, now I've seen the previews and I'm giddy like a schoolgirl!

*Teehee*

Finally, some real moral choices in gaming.

Susan Arendt:

First game to make their moral decisions count? I believe fallout one and two did that long before any bioware rpg.

It'll be interesting to see how this game turns out.

BioWare's done well with the more nuanced of moral choice systems. KOTOR was probably the most clear cut good/evil divide, but that was because they were working within an established mythology and the Jedi/Sith thing is fairly obvious. But I thought they did a good job in Mass Effect:

And now there's all the talk about your choices being reflected in ME2. So I think BioWare knows what they're doing. I'm psyched for Dragon Age and excited to relive my Baldur's Gate experiences on a new console.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.