Nintendo Files Patent for Wii Football Controller

Nintendo Files Patent for Wii Football Controller

Nintendo is apparently working on a "soft football controller" for the Wii that will take football videogames to a whole new level of realism and living room furniture to a whole new level of broken.

I don't actually own a Wii but I love it nonetheless, mainly for the way it's able to turn random household objects into integral parts of the gaming experience. Who knew that a bathroom scale would become the biggest thing in game controllers since the D-pad? Or that designing new and interesting ways to turn Wii Remotes into weapons of minor destruction would become a sort of meta-game in itself?

The latest evolution of that design philosophy may soon be upon us: The "soft football controller," a patent application for which was recently filed by Howard Cheng, vice president of R&D at Nintendo of America. The device appears to be essentially a Nerf football with a slot for a Wii Remote and a hand strap so you don't accidentally knock over lamps more than once or twice a day.

The unit will work with a conventional Wii Remote to determine throwing action as well as side-to-side and jumping motions for when you absolutely, positively do not want to be turned into a smear by that 350-pound defensive tackle, while running speed in the game will apparently be determined by "jogging motions" made by the player. It also has provisions for the Nunchuk to "improve the controller's sensitivity," as well as the Wii Motion Plus, which will "detect orientation and improve ability to recognize actions."

The ball itself may be soft but after reflecting upon my own social situation and how the members of that group would react to the presence of a squishy football videogame controller, I foresee trouble nonetheless. "Trouble," as in trips to the emergency room and possibly divorce court.

No word on when we might see this pretend pigskin hit the market, but given that it's little more than a dangerous idea at this point, it'll be a long while yet - giving you the time you'll need to save up for the inevitable trip to Ikea.

Source: Siliconera

Well, that's all well and good, but the only problem won't be trips over the footstool and to A&E, but the fact that for many of us that isn't a football, which is kind of a bummer.

Why not just take patent on every form of sport gear for the Wii? With what's happening with Nintendo however, it doesn't seem impossible that they'll do.

Hopefully this will make future Madden games more fun.

Hopefully...

I would onlay play that game if i had to actually tackle the player. Nothing better than de-cleating some kid who thinks hes Deon Sanders. Whats next the soccer ball? Ill wait patiently for the Wii Cricket Bat...

this is almost as pointless as the saddle peripheral

You mean American football controller. Real football is what you guys call SOCCER

with all these ever more immersive gadgets to simulate playing recreational sports with friends; it makes me wonder why people dont just play recreational sports with friends

Well, this is not going to end well...

MetaKnight19:

More pointless, in my opinion. Where most people don't have easy access to a horse, anyone can get a football for what, $15?

This is all very nice, but why not just play football?

That patent won't fly in the UK. I don't see any football controller, all I see is a guy watching TV, badly doing ballet and holding an egg.

I think this is probably more of a 'just-in-case' patent. What if EA filed the patent, made the controller and made millions on it. Nintendo would be looking at themselves saying 'Why didn't we think of that?'

bernthalbob616:

MetaKnight19:

More pointless, in my opinion. Where most people don't have easy access to a horse, anyone can get a football for what, $15?

Not everyone in this world has friends, you know.

Anyways, it's just another thing i won't buy.

Jamash:
That patent won't fly in the UK.

Sure it would. You'd just have to rename it the Wii Rugby Controller.

I thought EA Sports would do something like this, but Nintendo? Just what are they planning?

bernthalbob616:

MetaKnight19:

i see your point.

In b4 Wii Lacrosse and Wii Rugby. (it's almost guaranteed.

Mr. Fister:

Jamash:
That patent won't fly in the UK.

Sure it would. You'd just have to rename it the Wii Rugby Controller.

I thought EA Sports would do something like this, but Nintendo? Just what are they planning?

All I see is a peripheral. Sony has a crap load of these, but I never usually see them hit the news, only every now and then. The chances of this coming is as probable as the saddle hitting retail. You'll probably never see it again.

Wii should just patent a door that goes outside already.

Oh wait...

so? that sounds like a not compleatly retarted idea. like the saddle was.

So if you're going to buy a nerf Wii football... why not play real football... outside...

Nintendo REALLY need to get a new artist for their Patent applications. I mean those things are important so get someone who can draw.

bernthalbob616:

MetaKnight19:

By that logic, why play sports games at all?
Or life sims etc

Oh, American football football... Well completly lost interest now, I can't even play NFL on my DS so I'm not gonna try with the wii..

Whats wrong with a normal football? You know, the round ones.

Froobyx:
Oh, American football football...

Whats wrong with a normal football? You know, the round ones.

Nobody knows.

As for the Wii, until there's physical feedback (like vibration) then motion controls aren't as good as they can be.

I love how people freak out about every time something is patented (especially from Nintendo for some reason), conveniently forgetting that one of the reasons you hold a patent on something is so that if someone wants to create something you have the rights to, you can get royalties in exchange for allowing them to build such a thing. Again. They just have the patent, they don't have so much as a prototype of the damn thing.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.