Hunt Ghosts in Real Life With Ghostwire and the DSi

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hunt Ghosts in Real Life With Ghostwire and the DSi

It's one thing for a game to bring you face-to-face with ghosts in a spooky alternate reality. It's another thing entirely for a game to bring you face-to-face with ghosts in real life.

It's a shame that potentially innovative technology often gets wasted on "gimmicky" addons - for every game that takes genuine advantage of the DS' touch screen or the Wii Remote, there are ten that replace mindless button-mashing with mindless screen-tapping or remote-waggling.

And then there are games like Ghostwire. Ghostwire is unique because its DS-specific gameplay doesn't revolve around the touch screen - it revolves around the built-in camera and microphone on the DSi. Effectively, the DSi becomes some sort of supernatural tool that enables the player to commune directly with the world of ghosts.

I doubt that it'll play anywhere as seamlessly as it looks in the trailer, but it's certainly one hell of a cool idea. This sort of "augmented reality" gameplay seems to be making very tiny inroads, a bit at a time, and the more I think about it, the more I become convinced that this could be the closest we get to the whole "virtual reality" concept that was all the rage a few decades ago.

If nothing else, you have to give the developers credit for trying something new, no?

(Penny-Arcade)

This is kinda cool. I might pick it up.

Weird... and cool at the same time..

Hmm, if it turns out good I might get a DSi.

no, ghosts dont exist.

Im still struggling to understand how it works ... Do you just wander around taking photos till you find a ghost then talk to it? If someone can explain it to me, Id be very thankful (I dont have sound so thats main reason I couldnt understand).

And who else was saying in their minds "Yoinks, Raggy its a Gh-gh-gh-ghost."

Or was it just me?

Looks pretty good, could be entertaining for awhile, and im still waiting for virtual reality >.>

Stupid and neat at the same time.

I'm firmly convinced that my basement is haunted. Can it perform impromptu exorsisms? THAT would be a nifty travel feature.

Cool Idea, gonna sell well but shame i ain't got a DSi
Retro DS FTW

Unreliable:
no, ghosts dont exist.

And the earth was flat until a few hundred years ago.

Pretty original stuff.

"Some say you're a medium. "Well, if you truly are a medium, then you'll let me talk to my dead wife!"

A lifetime supply of toffee for whoever gets that without googling!

CantFaketheFunk:
snip

Is it being sold as an actual ghost hunting device or is it a game where the object is to find DSi generated ghosts?

Ugh. Yeah, DSi. No thanks. Another lame gimmick...

I'll stick to the normal DS, thank you.

*goes back to Devil Survivor*

Cell phones that can be used as X ray machines. DSIs that are better PKE meters than the Ghostbusters had. I wonder how long before there is some app that can change my 360 into a fully functioning transforming robot?

Technology rules!!!!!

Nitpicker of the Wastes:
I'm firmly convinced that my basement is haunted. Can it perform impromptu exorsisms? THAT would be a nifty travel feature.

Join the club

Here's why it won't work:

The DS/DSi have horrible lighting in outdoor environments unless you have the lighting set to max, and even then it's somewhat bearable, thus restricting me to play mostly inside my home.

So unless my house can have 30 different ghosts over the course of time, seeing Nearly Headless Nick in my living room every time gets old.

this looks pretty badass. who cares if ghosts arent real, i can just scare the kids who live across the road from me.

this is possibly the most origanal idea for a game in a while.

Unreliable:
no, ghosts dont exist.

*kicks* Shush, it's a game.

I do worry that it's prime targetting for the "GAMES ARE EVIL" brigade though.

ChromeAlchemist:

And the earth was flat until a few hundred years ago.

*KLAXON*
Oh, Chrome, People believed in a spherical earth as far back as 4000 BC

The_root_of_all_evil:

How so?

The Shade:

The_root_of_all_evil:

How so?

You've got your kids going out looking for spirits and you think parents aren't going to be screaming about how "THE EVIL GAMES ARE CORRUPTING MY CHILDREN WITH THEIR EVIL SPIRITS"?

I'd be surprised if FOX news didn't do an article on games and the occult as soon as they hear of this game.

The_root_of_all_evil:
You've got your kids going out looking for spirits and you think parents aren't going to be screaming about how "THE EVIL GAMES ARE CORRUPTING MY CHILDREN WITH THEIR EVIL SPIRITS"?

I'd be surprised if FOX news didn't do an article on games and the occult as soon as they hear of this game.

Perhaps. Either way, we know what must be done - FOX News must never get word of this game.

Quickly! To the scheming room!

Sounds like something fun to do at a party

I don't know what to think actually. If it turns out ghosts dont exsist, do you get a refund?

THATS AS SCARY AS HELL! lol

ChromeAlchemist:

Unreliable:
no, ghosts dont exist.

"Some say you're a medium. "Well, if you truly are a medium, then you'll let me talk to my dead wife!"

I'm just guessing since it has been a long time since I saw the show. But due to the use of the word Medium i'd guess it was fromt he series "Medium".

Sure I can find ghosts with this doodad, but can I bust them?

Nitpicker of the Wastes:

Which basement? <_< >_>

That would be a really cool game if it worked exactly like in the video. I don't know much about the DSi but I sort of doubt it.

Fat Man Spoon:

Nitpicker of the Wastes:

Which basement? <_< >_>

Oh, the one with the satanic markings, and the headless goat... I think I left my Dreamcast down there...

A funny idea, although I laugh very hard at the people that believe this actually works.

I honestly wonder where this trend of "augmented reality" games are leading us...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... euh
eh
erhm

GH-gh-gh-GHOST!

Anyway cool I s'ppose

Izerous:

ChromeAlchemist:

Unreliable:
no, ghosts dont exist.

I'm just guessing since it has been a long time since I saw the show. But due to the use of the word Medium i'd guess it was fromt he series "Medium".

Incorrect. You'd think that. But you would be wrong. Try again? I'll give out a hint

It's not going to be real ghosts. Maybe you can find remnants of one soul who was there before (as I don't know the scientific term for a ghost [electric signature?]) But it is just a game that just puts a ghost at random places (or not) in the picture. I mean, you can talk to it, BY PRESSING BUTTONS. I doubt that the designers learned how to put ghostspeak into a game and make it come out as a beep that ghosts are supposedly supposed to recognize as "How can I help you?"

Also doubt that real ghosts could reply back through the game.

Other things that say this ain't real - INVENTORY AND DATA.
They could've actually made me believe it was real if it wasn't for giving the ghost a digital book and knowing exactly who the ghost was.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here