Twitter Denied "Tweet" Trademark

Twitter Denied "Tweet" Trademark

In a bid to "protect" a term that has been indelibly linked with the popular microblogging site, Twitter recently attempted to trademark the term "tweet," only to have the US Patent and Trademark Office turn them down.

Was Twitter's request shot down because "tweet" is such a common term and the idea of trademarking it is ridiculous? Nope, turns out three other companies who exist purely to create programs that rely on Twitter's API are already battling it out for the "tweet" trademark.

Tweetmarks, Cotweet and Tweetphoto are all working to nab legal rights to a word that, a few years ago, had no real non-avian meaning, and the USPTO apparently feels that Twitter is a bit too late to a party that would not exist if it hadn't created an entirely new definition for the verb form of "tweet" to begin with.

Until such a time as this debacle is straightened out, the USPTO has officially recommended that all small birds remain silent, lest they incur retroactive penalties from lawsuits that may or may not exist at some indeterminate point in the future.

(Image)

And to think, I'm one of the few people who still doesn't know what the fucking point of Twitter is...

I think it's a bit ridiculous to try to copyright such a common word.

Whistler777:
And to think, I'm one of the few people who still doesn't know what the fucking point of Twitter is...

Weeeell, in recent news... the word 'Edge'.

Was Twitter's request shot down because "tweet" is such a common term and the idea of trademarking it is ridiculous?

That was what I thought as soon as I read the headline, and I was going to channel my anger into a single, epic post. But no such luck.
OT- I would think that Twitter should get it, they coined the term (at least I think).

So when one of these twats patent tweets what will Tweeters be renamed?

Miniaturised electromagneticly motivated sound wave creating oscillation based cones?

Whistler777:

Don't worry I'm with you here, I really would rather not know when you are going to the bathroom.

Tweet should be reserved for the sound a bird makes.

So we copyright common words in the English language? What's next, we can copyright ideologies?

I once had a quick look at one person's Twitter page and instantly hit by how bad it looked. Disregarding the fact that most information presented on the site is both useless and boring, it also strikes me as being poorly designed and layed out.

This just in, a new tweet about tweets in the legal system, tweets are going to be trademarked, or tweetmarked!
I couldn't resist a Smurf-like joke, no matter how horribly lame it was, it burned my brain now let it burn your eyes!

Interesting...wait no...it's not. I don't really use twitter, nor do I care what words they own.

Fat Man Spoon:

Whistler777:

Weeeell, in recent news... the word 'Edge'.

Edge? Do tell me what you're talking about.

There seems to be no length that people will go to in order to copyright meaningless verbs/nouns.

I can pretty much summarise 'my status' as "DOING SOD ALL" most the times.

Humanity is stupid as is, and acts like this make us plain retarded. Trademarking a word, a single word that has existed for hundreds or thousands of years before the company thought of trademarking it, is fucking lame, and should be punishable by death for attempting.

I hate Twitter. I really do.
I don't care when you are taking a shit. I really don't.

Glerken:
I hate Twitter. I really do.
I don't care when you are taking a shit. I really don't.

You've obviously never even seen a good twitter account. No one actually posts that.

I am thoroughly against twitter and just about all social networking sites. There is no usefulnes to them beyond having a popularity contest online and for weird screwed up people to stalk you.

On the whole trademarking thing what the hell is up with people trying to trademark everything? Pretty soon you are gonna have to pay royalties to speak a sentence.

TheTygerfire:
You've obviously never even seen a good twitter account.

There's no such thing.

Never used it, what exactly is the different between that and facebook status messages?

Oh god, are they taking a lesson from Tim Langdell?

So they're wasting tons of money to trademark a word? Yikes.

I do believe this calls for an...

Good, the english language shouldn't be copyrighted.

Maybe they'll go with my suggestion finally: "Twits."

Wow I need to post some rudimentary commentary on why it is okay(and normal) to patent normal words in the english language. But alas I don't feel motivated. One would think twitter would be on top of things but I guess not...

There's a big difference between trademarking and copyrighting.

That said, I think Twitter should file on all the other apps trying for it with prior art or whatever the trademark equiv is. At least if they can't have it, they ought to be able to make sure noone else does either. ><

But it was a gross oversight to have gone so long without doing basic stuff like this.

DaxStrife:

Twats fits the consumer base better.

Khell_Sennet:

DaxStrife:

Twats fits the consumer base better.

Just in "social networking sites promote narcissism"...Twats it is.

But I still feel bad for them, they had to trademark a common word only to find out that they had made it so popular, to the point of someone else going for it first...ouch.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper:

Whistler777:
Edge? Do tell me what you're talking about.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/6301-Experienced-Points-EDGE-of-Asshattery

Reading articles like that makes me far more angry than I should be at 7AM. I need to go over to CCP and ask if I can borrow their Unholy Rage hammer.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.