Microsoft: Hardware Failures Are "Well Behind Us"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft: Hardware Failures Are "Well Behind Us"

Is the legacy of the Red Ring of Death and E47 hardware failures really behind Microsoft? Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg thinks so.

Last week numbers from a Game Informer survey revealed that Xbox 360 hardware failures - specifically the infamous Red Ring of Death - are astoundingly common, with more than half of the surveyed subscribers reporting to have experienced a console dying on them. Regardless of the veracity of the numbers, it is something of a sad state of affairs when having your console die on you is simply something you expect as a 360 owner.

Microsoft gave a pretty plain PR type response to the survey a few days ago, but now the company's Xbox Live and Xbox 360 director of project management, Aaron Greenberg, has spoken up, and he seems to think that hardware failures are a legacy that Microsoft has managed to shake.

"I can tell you the consoles we're making today have lower-heat chips and better cooling, and we're seeing fantastic quality in those consoles today," Greenberg told GameSpot. "That said, I know people have had issues with systems, which were bought earlier in the life cycle, and that's part of the reason why we implemented our unprecedented three-year warranty for anyone who gets the three red-ring flashing light error or the E74 error."

With everything that Microsoft has done to deal with the problem and everything it presently is doing, Greenberg thinks that the company has accomplished enough to ditch the stigma of the RroD. "So I think we've made it clear we stand by the quality of our product, and we will make it right by fixing the problem at no extra cost to you," Greenberg said. "But at the same time, we've been working hard to make improvements in the products we're currently making, so I really feel like most of this is well behind us."

What say you, 360 owners? Do you feel like the whole hardware failure thing is behind Microsoft, or, more importantly, behind you when your console breaks? I don't think this is a legacy Microsoft is going to shed for a long time coming. As long as people own 360s that break - and plenty do - hardware failures will be a problem.

I'd say that's pretty sound. My replacement console hasn't broke, and I don't expect it to.

Oh, and I predict a flamewar! Then again, I don't exactly need a crystal ball for that do I?

My replacement console broke, and apparently it wasn't warrenteed for more than a year, i had to get it fixed through the internet, and now my disk drive is on top of the box, looks terrible but works fine.

What say me? Well, I'm glad that they put this all behind them. Too bad people who bought release consoles can't "put it behind them". Really, this was a dumb thing for them to say. Maybe something more along the lines of "we will always be commited to bringing consumers the best machine for their money, and now we are at a point where we have optimized our system to address the needs of consumers", not just sweeping things under the rug.

It isn't well behind you, MS. There are too many people who have experienced or will experience problems for it to be behind you. You are not going to just wash your hands of the legacy of RROD so easily. Also, don't think the consumers are stupid and won't be watching your next console with telescopic vision for flaws.

This is probably the one thing that is keeping me from wanting to buy one. It's just too unnerving.

My console broke, 4 times, but they were all early life-cycle consoles. The one I've had now, has been running strong for....over a year now.

I just jynxed my self, but it doesn't matter with the recent price drops.

Similar to what chronobreak said, this may be "well behind" MS, but it is far from over for 360 owners who own an older version of the console (such as myself), with no warranty anymore, in constant fear of the three red lights. I've been lucky so far, *knocks on wood*, but it could still easily happen. If/when it does, I am screwed and will have to go buy another one. MS won't do anything to rectify it, because it's "well behind them."

you know as much as people rag on Sony for things, that statement from m$ was an even bigger dick move than Sony has ever pulled

the way i read it was

"those of you who bought it early when it was broken are suckers, it works fine now so buy to get a proper working."

*Sneezes* Ahchbullshit

Blah blah we've put holes in it to make it less like a microwave blah.

I don't think they'll lose the stigma until at least the next console generation, when they can prove that they can design a console that works properly from the very beginning. They've done a pretty good job of mitigating the problem, but I think people will be pretty suspicious of getting the next Xbox at release. At least, I know I will.

I know I have heard so much about the RroD, but to be truthful it has never happened to me and I have played for a full 25 hours before. I do feel for those that did get a RroD.

It's not like Microsoft is announcing the warranty is over. What they should be saying is that consumers can buy with confidence that the issue has been resolved.

I don't get how people still want to pick a fight with Microsoft over this. They are spending metric shit-tons of money to support that warranty. Think of how much of their profit they are throwing away. Seriously, if you wanted to see some Microsoft seppuku, here it is. If you still aren't satisfied... I don't know what to tell you. You will never be satisfied.

My XBox has never failed me, so I don't really care. My friend has RRoDed twice. Both times he got a replacement for free, and seemed pretty happy with the way it was handled. Granted, he was pissed that it happened twice, but what can you do?

I'm still building my catapult for when my third 360 fails. The warranty's long gone, so I'll just send it flying in the general direction of Microsoft HQ with a 54.2% sign on it.

My console got the red ring of death, but within a week I heard a shiny FREE new one to play with and overheat. They may have hardware problems, but at least they recognize it and not be complete douchebags over it.

I've had my 360 for going on two years now, with constant "abuse." I know that if it does crap out on me, Microsoft will have my back (assuming this is within a year). Less can be said about my PS2 that failed days after its 90-day warrantee and I had to fix it myself.

Oh the teases.

To be fair, I've never met anyone and don't personally know anyone (in real life that is), that has ever had trouble with a 360...well my mate's got robbed, but that hardly counts...

Still, of all my consoles, I like my PS3 best...and my PS3 died on me last Christmas, outside of warranty and all I had to do was pay for the courier (E15.60) not so rough, and had my new (admittedly refurbished PS3 though with a larger hard-drive) in less than a week . If the MS returns is that good or better then I can't see the issue. It's inconvenient sure, but then again I had a Wii, PC and 360 to play with, so I might not be a good sample.

Anyone ever tried to return something to say...Creative...or Sharp? Samsung? Outside of warranty? Please, even of it was their fault, you'd be laughed at. Although I'm sure they'd laugh callowly and hollowly as it's clear the person on the other end of the phone is really having as much fun as you, except they're paid minium wage....

Ooops...I sort of wandered there...oh well...

My first never RRoD'd, the disk reader shat itself instead. Still, the #2 engine's still puttering along, though the warranty runs out soon...

I honestly doubt that Microsoft has seen the last of Mr. E74, and I really can't think they're fooling themselves, much less anyone else. Still, so long as they'll actually fix it when the smug little jerk garrotes yet another hapless console in the line of duty, it's the best we can hope for.

Symp4thy:
Similar to what chronobreak said, this may be "well behind" MS, but it is far from over for 360 owners who own an older version of the console (such as myself), with no warranty anymore, in constant fear of the three red lights. I've been lucky so far, *knocks on wood*, but it could still easily happen. If/when it does, I am screwed and will have to go buy another one. MS won't do anything to rectify it, because it's "well behind them."

RRoD is covered on all consoles regardless of whether or not the original warrenty has expired. I had a launch day console RRoD on me late may of this year and wasn't charged a dime for repairs. Same applies to E74 errors. What isn't covered is other problems like disc read errors, broken fans, etc.

OT:No it will never be truly behind M$ because even if newer models have a 100% success rate people will still remember and bash the 360 for failing. Thats just the way stuff like this works. It's the same reason people make statements like the PS3 having no games. Sure now thats not the case but people still think back to when it did in fact have very few exclusives and they translate that to today even if it's no longer true.

My question is just when they fixed that because I bought mine a little less than a year ago and want to know if it's in the risky batches or in a good one.

Bigeyez:

Symp4thy:

RRoD is covered on all consoles regardless of whether or not the original warrenty has expired. I had a launch day console RRoD on me late may of this year and wasn't charged a dime for repairs. Same applies to E74 errors. What isn't covered is other problems like disc read errors, broken fans, etc.

Oh...well then I guess I eat my words and retract my previous statement. That's good to know. Thanks. That actually puts my mind at ease. Hooray Microsoft!

This is probably why I don't do PR, I would have liked the release to be.

"That was ridiculous and we all know it, from now on we can assure you we're so terrified of this happening again that you'll probably see service and reliance improve to preposterous levels just to overcompensate."

But then that would be too good to be true. Bottom line is that mine Rrod'd, then did it again a week after they fixed it, they fixed it again, but now I don't really care anymore. I can live without an Xbox, and whilst I don't intend to hold any grudges with Microsoft, I will be living without an Xbox for many years now.

When my Xbox 360 breaks down for the third time I expect to get my box back in chrome.

Just some visual guarantee that "oh we did fix it this time," not "Well we came close this time. We'll try again in the next couple of months."

Bigeyez:

Can you point to a source for this? I can't find anything that says the retroactive 3 year warranty for older consoles were extended again. I was well under the understanding that if you bought a launch console, your time was up a while ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

cleverlymadeup:
you know as much as people rag on Sony for things, that statement from m$ was an even bigger dick move than Sony has ever pulled

the way i read it was

"those of you who bought it early when it was broken are suckers, it works fine now so buy to get a proper working."

This.

The Bandit:
My XBox has never failed me, so I don't really care. My friend has RRoDed twice. Both times he got a replacement for free, and seemed pretty happy with the way it was handled. Granted, he was pissed that it happened twice, but what can you do?

Ah, gee I unno, ignore said console.

APPCRASH:
My console got the red ring of death, but within a week I heard a shiny FREE new one to play with and overheat. They may have hardware problems, but at least they recognize it and not be complete douchebags over it.

It took a class action lawsuit to get them to recognize it and do something about it. That's pretty douche-y if you ask me.

chronobreak:

Bigeyez:

Can you point to a source for this? I can't find anything that says the retroactive 3 year warranty for older consoles were extended again. I was well under the understanding that if you bought a launch console, your time was up a while ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

Well I'm the source since it happened to me. =p I had a 360 bought on launch. The Original warrenty expired years ago, it RRoDed this past May. I called M$ thinking that i would have to pay for the repair and they told me RRoD was covered for all xbox 360s, even mine which was bought at launch. After that I simply went to xbox.com/support entered my consoles serial number, and put in a service repair request. Entered my problem as being RRoD and thats that. Got the box shipped here and back for free, didn't pay a cent.

If you want go ahead and check it out for yourself. Unless things have changed since this past May all xboxes are covered.

GM: Car Crashes Are "Well Behind Us"

Wall Street: Stock Declines Are "Well Behind Us"

North Korea: Political Trials Are "Well Behind Us"

.....I think you get my opinion on this.

Generic_Dave:

Anyone ever tried to return something to say...Creative...or Sharp? Samsung? Outside of warranty? Please, even of it was their fault, you'd be laughed at. Although I'm sure they'd laugh callowly and hollowly as it's clear the person on the other end of the phone is really having as much fun as you, except they're paid minium wage....

actually they extended the warranty to avoid being sued and having the problem really blown out into the open. by saying they are extending the warranty they can side step a very public, disgraceful and expensive class action lawsuit that they would lose and probly have t recall and replace all the 360s or something similar

Bigeyez:
Well I'm the source since it happened to me. =p I had a 360 bought on launch. The Original warrenty expired years ago, it RRoDed this past May. I called M$ thinking that i would have to pay for the repair and they told me RRoD was covered for all xbox 360s, even mine which was bought at launch. After that I simply went to xbox.com/support entered my consoles serial number, and put in a service repair request. Entered my problem as being RRoD and thats that. Got the box shipped here and back for free, didn't pay a cent.

If you want go ahead and check it out for yourself. Unless things have changed since this past May all xboxes are covered.

Well, that's pretty spiffy. Still, I'm just going by their official statements, but it sounds like they gave you a break, or at the least did not even check the dates/care, but it worked out well for you. I hope things go as well for me if mine ever decides to go loopy on me.

I've never heard of anybody with a console from 2007 and up getting a RRoD. It's just that people can't see that things have changed. Like it was said earlier, it's not true anymore that the Xbox breaks all the time, and it's not true anymore that PS3 got nothing to play except MGS4. I've had two Xbox 360 and played both of them very exhaustively (some would say excessively), and none got a RRoD (Gave the first one to my brother and bought a 60go).

However, I agree that what Greenberg is insulting to those who still have older versions of the console and who will have to deal with their customer support. It's not because we've got a good warranty that we want to use it... Nobody likes buying broken stuff, nobody likes waiting for the repaired Xbox to get back to them and nobody ever likes having to speak to customer support on the phone after being put on hold for twenty minutes.

Isn't this like the 2nd or 3rd time they've...'fixed' the problem? I'm thinking this is one of those moments we'll all be able to look back on and chuckle. Especially around the time they announce the 12 or 13th final fix. Or...did he mispeak, and mean to say 'Hardware failures define us.'

how many times are they going to 'fix' this?
I think the success of the 360 is a testament that people will buy a poor product if it is cheap enough.

Yay! Assuming this is true (hell of an assumption), that means when I do go out and get one, I won't get a buggy one but rather a nice, shiny, R-RoD-less machine. Thanks Microsoft!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.