Batman: Arkham Asylum Batarang Fails to Impress

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Batman: Arkham Asylum Batarang Fails to Impress

Batman: Arkham Asylum is a hit in all ways but one: The Collector's Edition Batarang is a cheap piece of crap.

A lot of eyes lit up when Eidos announced that the Collector's Edition of Batman: Arkham Asylum would include a full-sized Batarang. The $100 price tag threw a bit of cold water on the news, but hey, it's a Batarang!

Except it's not really a Batarang at all, it's a cheap hunk of badly-scratched, molded plastic glued to a stand. The scratches are apparently intentional, to give it a degree of authenticity by making it look as though the Caped Crusader himself has used it extensively in his never-ending war against crime; unfortunately, as one observer noted, it looks less like battle scars and more like somebody dragged it behind a car for an hour. Michael Thompson of Ars Technica noted that some of the scratches actually reveal white plastic underneath.

Perhaps even more disappointing, it can't actually be removed from the stand without breaking something. Not that you'd necessarily want to use it to fight crime with but let's be honest here: No nerd in good standing wants a Batarang he can't pick up and wave around every now and then.

Complaints have started to pop up across the internet, including on the official Eidos forums, where at least one user is trying to drum up support for a refund or replacement. The problem, of course, is that once the box is opened and it's discovered that the Batarang isn't quite up to snuff, any opportunity to take it back is gone because retailers, by and large, won't accept returns on opened software.

This wouldn't be such a big deal if the Collector's Edition was priced $10 more than the standard release, but for a $40 hike it tends to sting a bit. Opinions will vary, of course, and you may be more or less satisfied with it than the next guy. Bottom line is this: If you're not 100 percent sure that you want this thing, check it out in the store before you cart the box home. You might save yourself a few bucks.

(Image courtesy Ars Technica.)

well.... people should know it wouldn't be that good.. i doubt i'll even get the game though, so, i can't comment. bad edios, bad.

This just in: Collectors editions are never worth it.

Buyer beware is all I can really say to this. Sucks to be them =(

In Eidos eyes it worked as a cash in. And it worked cause people bought the obvious cash in. So you deserve that piece of plastic.

YOU FOOLS!

May this be a lesson.

Well that, along with MW2 has crushed my dream of fighting crime in the dark

eoin90210:

Haha, the Ultimate Collector edition combination!

This yet again proves that Special editions are not worth it!

ehhh at least the game is good

Shapsters:

eoin90210:

Tell that to my cat who still has a crink in her neck

I LOVE Eidos! After the debacles of Kane and Lynch and Tomb Raider: Underworld they finally put out a decent title... and they still manage to screw something up by making a cheap ass collectors item.

PedroSteckecilo:
I LOVE Eidos! After the debacles of Kane and Lynch and Tomb Raider: Underworld they finally put out a decent title... and they still manage to screw something up by making a cheap ass collectors item.

They never cease to underwhelm me

Credge:

My pre-order of Assassin's Creed 2: Black Edition (UK exclusive bitches) frowns upon your shenanigans.

Amnestic:

Credge:

My pre-order of Assassin's Creed 2: Black Edition (UK exclusive bitches) frowns upon your shenanigans.

You can get it in Ireland so suck it!

I want one just so I have a reason to complain. Too damn expensive though.

In the UK retailers have to give you a refund if you take it back. The law is very vague in that it says anything to be refunded must be brought back in reasonable time, without defining reasonable time. Trading standard are not be impressed to hear refunds refused after 24 hours on videogames, even pc games.

It's always worked for me just to be stubborn but polite, managers quickly cave in if you refuse to go away.

Amnestic:

Credge:

Wait till you find out that the action figure comes broken.

oliveira8:

Amnestic:

Credge:

With tentacles

And people complained that the Batarang from CE is too dangerous for a toy...

Sucks that great developers like Rocksteady get their game's image tarnished by shitty publishers like Eidos.

The article pretty much kills my brothers dreams.

eoin90210:

oliveira8:

Amnestic:

Credge:

With tentacles

That's the Japanese version.

/snark

eoin90210:

Amnestic:

Credge:

Fine, fine. Great Britain exclusive then.

I got the CE, and I'm not that upset about the Batarang. I knew that it was going to be a cheap piece of plastic when the price of the CE was announced as $100. That is pricey, even for a collector's edition, but when you factor in that the game is $60, plus it comes with a bonus DVD, a leather journal, and DLC, the Batarang probably only accounts for about $15-20 of the CE price. You won't get a museum-quality replica for that much. Sucks that I can't take it off the stand though; I was expecting to at least be able to do that.

Full disclosure: I was not going to get the CE, but I had $80 worth of GameStop gift cards so I figured "What the Hell?" My opinion might be different if I had paid $100 out-of-pocket as opposed to only $20. But then again, it's Batarang: even a cheap plastic one is pretty cool to have on your shelf (at least it's a decent size and weight).

HENCE Why you NEVER, EVER Buy collectors editions unless you know for a FACT Its worth it.

My cousin got Red faction Guerilla Collecters Edition. The walker wasnt even lifesize. What a rip-off.

While I think the overall quality of the batarang should have been higher, I can understand it not detaching from the stand. Here in the U.S. people will sue a company for any reason. So if the Batarang came off the stand and little Johnny threw it and damaged something (or someone) it would take about 5 seconds for someone to file a lawsuit against Eidos, DC Comics, and anyone else they think they could milk a few million dollars out of.

Also, from the listing on Amazon it did state that the stand was attached, so it was not a shock to me when I ordered it.

The Battarang was never the main draw for the CE. The CE also comes with a leatherbound full color book thats a Journal of one of the psychiatrists at Arkham. That book probably accounted for 30 dollars.

At least the batarang is kinda cool for a Collector's Edition collectible..

I still have all these stupid one-legged dwarfen thief miniatures...

the batarang isn't that bad, the case for the game is huge, i was pretty shocked by the size of it.

i just laugh at the people who think it would be a metal batarang for that price, $100 wouldn't even cover just the batarang let alone the game and all the extras

I'm a sucker for CEs and the only bad one I've ever run into was Half-Life 2. Which, from what I can see, was kind of like Arkham Asylum: Great game, shitty extras. Overall, though, I love 'em.

i wanst planning to get the collectors edition, so ive just saved myself a few pounds by reading this

Amnestic:

eoin90210:

oliveira8:

Amnestic:

Credge:

With tentacles

That's the Japanese version.

/snark

eoin90210:

Amnestic:

Credge:

Fine, fine. Great Britain exclusive then.

Crap If I was one of those IRA twats you'd be dead right now for saying that Ireland was part of Great Britain

Malygris:
I'm a sucker for CEs

Me too MW2 hardened edition FTW!

Didnt people learn after the shitty Master chief helmet? Special addition just gets you a metal case nothing more.

Is anyone really surprised? C'mon, Collector's Edition merch is almost always poorly made.

Shapsters:

eoin90210:

Fallout 3 was. And anything that comes in a steel book 'cause they sexy. Also the Russian special editions of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are mental. Apart from that I agree.

Hahahahahaha suckas! Collector's editions are very rarely worth it. Although I find it funny that Eidos got people all excited about the Batarang and the thing is a piece of crap.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.