Rob Zombie Remaking The Blob, Sans Blob

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rob Zombie Remaking The Blob, Sans Blob

Fresh off the debatable success of his remake of Halloween 2, musician-turned-filmmaker Rob Zombie has announced plans to remake The Blob, only without "a big red blobby thing."

"My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing, that's the first thing I want to change," Zombie told Variety. "That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now. I have a totally different take, one that's pretty dark."

While some would argue that a crucial part of The Blob is the actual "blob" itself, Zombie argues that the film is less about an evil creature and more about ideas.

"I intend to make it scary, and the great thing is, I have the freedom once again to take it in any crazy direction I want to. Even more than Halloween, where I had to deal with accepted iconic characters like Michael Myers and Laurie Strode. The Blob is more concept than specific storyline with characters, so I can go nuts with it."

I almost wish news posts had echo effects so I could just loop Rob Zombie saying "so I can go nuts with it" over and over and over again. That makes about as much sense as the rest of this idea.

(Image)

How the hell do you make a Blob movie without the blob?
Why can't Hollywood just leave the classics alone, and come up with original ideas? *GASP!* I would be scared then!

We can only hope it involves giant Pepperami as shown in the image provided.

The old Blob is pretty lul-worthy so I'll be interested to see how the hell it could be "dark" without being absolutely silly.

I think Mr. Zombie has a good handle on what's required. If I wanted to watch the Blob with a giant Blob, I'd watch the original which, as he says, looks a bit naff today.

I'm sure he'll do well by it, I've been mostly impressed by his film output so far.

As long as it's as laugh-out-loud bad as his 'The Crow' script, this should be a treat.

Well line this up next to all his other films i didnt watch or kinda laughed at.

The Halloween remake wasn't great but at least it had Michael Myers in it.

So, when is the release of Mr. Zombie's Blobless The Blob? (Or perhaps I should restate the movie's title as, The?) And is his next project a remake of Lassie without the rather corny dog?

/facepalm If you want to remake something, fine. Remake it, even modernise it if you think that'd help. If you're not going to use the original premise, though, I think you'd be better off working on a whole new project instead of leeching off an old property.

-- Steve

Oh Rob Zombie, why don't you go and play in the sand with Uwe Bol.

Rob Zombie, the Uwe Boll of horror movies.

There can't be many franchises left that he hasn't ruined yet, can there?

Although to be fair, I can think of a few ideas for the blob that are more than just a blob, but still keeping the 'blobbyness' of the blob. It makes sense to me...

WTF is up with that picture? It looks like a giant snowball holding a huge stick of beef jerky.

Ok just by reading that I went to youtube to watch the 1980s trailer of the blob. DAMN that's some scary shit right there. Now it's another f*ckin remake!? WHAT THE HELL!!!! Heres a thought STOP MAKING HORROR MOVIES (in general). That way we can watch the good stuff and not pay money to watch remakes, crappy sequels, or dumb originals. F*ck! Let's try Sci-Fi movies/shows "Knowing" was good (at least I think that was a sci-fi........ oh well) and Warehouse 13 on syfy is great it comes next to NCIS on my list!

paypuh:
WTF is up with that picture? It looks like a giant snowball holding a huge stick of beef jerky.

We're now trying to make horror movies a little more kid friendly so they can build an "immune" system to watch Bloody, gory, and bad horror films. OH WAIT IM THING OF GOOSEBUMPS SILLY ME!!!!!

j0z:
How the hell do you make a Blob movie without the blob?
Why can't Hollywood just leave the classics alone, and come up with original ideas? *GASP!* I would be scared then!

true that home skillet. variety is the spice of life! why can't we come up with anything original these days?

I hate Rob Zombie.

OptimusHagrid:

Hey! Someone should totally make a horror movie a giant, sentient pepperami. those things things are psychotic in the ads, it makes prefect sense.

Anton P. Nym:
So, when is the release of Mr. Zombie's Blobless The Blob? (Or perhaps I should restate the movie's title as, The?) And is his next project a remake of Lassie without the rather corny dog?

/facepalm If you want to remake something, fine. Remake it, even modernise it if you think that'd help. If you're not going to use the original premise, though, I think you'd be better off working on a whole new project instead of leeching off an old property.

-- Steve

Pretty much this, I can deal with re-makes if their good or they're creative but this sounds rather dumb.

I'm always ok with remakes, but this makes no sense what-so-ever.

Soulwolf:
The Halloween remake wasn't great but at least it had Michael Myers in it.

cept for the backstory of Michael it was pretty much a shot for shot remake of the original

anyways i think everyone is missing what he's saying, he's NOT saying there will be no blob, he's saying the one we think of, which frankly is overly cheesy and bad, is NOT going to be in the movie, he's going to have something else

The man who managed to lobotomize Halloween is at it again. Why couldn't he just stick with his (somewhat) original flicks?

If you remake The Blob without the fucking Blob, then it's not really a remake now is it?

Hmm...I can't really say that a blobless "The Blob" wouldn't work. Ive never seen the original movie. I'm curious, who has both watched the original, and thinks that a blobless version can't be done?

With Rob Zombie directing, I'm going to go ahead and call it now..

The "blob" is going to be a large fat man made of Mucus that looks like a psychotic circus clown...

or it is going to be irradiated Sperm that multiplied out of control into a "blob" of super jizz that kills everything it comes in contact with ("Owww it stings so bad!!!! my eyes!!")

Well I for one am glad he is working on this, because it means he DIDNT get the job to direct the new Conan movie, and I think we can all agree that we can accept sacrificing the blob property in the name of good.

"so I can go nuts with it"

Damning words. Just making a film because you want to go nuts with it dosen't mean everyone else will like it. Least this summer had some decent films at long last.

Casual Shinji:
Oh Rob Zombie, why don't you go and play in the sand with Uwe Bol.

They would make a Dead Space movie.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Hybridwolf:
"so I can go nuts with it"

Damning words. Just making a film because you want to go nuts with it dosen't mean everyone else will like it. Least this summer had some decent films at long last.

That quote is EXACTLY why I believe the new 'blob' will be made of a mass of living sperm.

Huzzah! I beat The News Room on this article by 32 minutes!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.134505#3031224

Still, doesn't change the fact that it's going to burn.

Cool, a rob zombie makeover of a cult classic is always a great idea.

Fiskmasen:
The man who managed to lobotomize Halloween is at it again. Why couldn't he just stick with his (somewhat) original flicks?

right cause adding more story to the movie is a bad thing

you do realize it was mostly a shot for shot remake with extra stuff added to it

I actually enjoyed his Halloween remakes. The Blob used to be one of my favorite horror movies when I was a kid. I'd be interested to see how he can pull it off without an actual blob.

He has a good point, & I see no reason that he certainly wont be able to make a mind-f'k movie out of it. Whether itl be good or not, though, is another matter

Ok, if Rob Zombie is so obsessed with not being constrained by the source material, why does he keep making remakes?!

If he's going to make a movie with a non-blob, why call it The Blob? Someone else already made this point elsewhere, but the only reason to call it "The Blob" is to bank on the success of the original. A lot of lame movies have gone completely off in left field and had nothing in common with the original save for the precious money-making name.

Rob Zombie needs to stop with the remaking if he's just going to fuck with the original material, and get rid of the people, objects, or places that made the movie great.

My guess is the blob is going to look like some kind of horrible amalgamation of corpses crawling around.

Either way, I wish the guy would just go back to writing music instead. He's cool to listen to when he talks about horror films since he knows his shit, but when it comes to MAKING movies...not so much. Plus, all he does is remakes.

Just make music dammit.

Arrers:

OptimusHagrid:

Hey! Someone should totally make a horror movie a giant, sentient pepperami. those things things are psychotic in the ads, it makes prefect sense.

You wouldn't sell a single ticket. A horror movie based around Pepperami? Even Cyborg-Ninja-Jesus would be too scared to watch that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here