MvC2 Combo Compilation Will Make You Feel Inadequate

Pages PREV 1 2

Pretty good, though I'm still more impressed by other games' combo videos (particularly Fate/Unlimited Codes and Devil May Cry 3). Maybe I'm too used to getting my ass kicked at this one.

theultimateend:

Especially some of those combos that were essentially three to four button combos repeated infinitely. I'm sure it takes talent but overall it just felt like he was doing combos to characters that weren't being played (for the exception of one scene when the other one appears to move).

That's what the definition of a combo is, though. Once it begins, the player getting hit by it can't do anything at all to prevent being hit by all the hits that come after it. Well, unless the game has something specifically designed to stop it, like Guilty Gear's bursts or KI's combo breakers for instance.

But yes, MvC2 is rather notorious for the sheer amount of infinites the game has. When even Dan has an infinite, you know something must've gone wrong.

Yeah, I'm gonna sound 'bah, young people today' here, but I grew up on Streetfighter II, and a 5 hit combo was a mark of honour, heh. I'm really not knocking the guy's skills, in the video, but unless you're deeply into these games, you can't tell the difference between a well crafted combo played skillfully and an auto 'super combo' just set off with a couple of button presses that results in 50+ hits.

I still maintain, (heresy incoming), that Street Fighter II and it's various versions has not been beaten. The very nature of its limited move sets, although of course it was fairly complex for its time, means it was fairly pick up and play, but more importantly, you could reasonably predict your opponents attacks, and defend and counterattack. When someone has 50 or more moves to choose from, half of which fill the screen with lava, lightning or killer bees, it's kinda hard to have a suitable defence.

I'm also with 'Woe is you' when he says -

That's what the definition of a combo is, though. Once it begins, the player getting hit by it can't do anything at all to prevent being hit by all the hits that come after it.

But yes, MvC2 is rather notorious for the sheer amount of infinites the game has. When even Dan has an infinite, you know something must've gone wrong.[/quote]

Edited a little for space :)

But yes, the moment an infinite combo is available, playing against cheap players turns it into 'who can get the first hit off'.

Personally my greatest moment was with Streetfighter II when McD's had the UK champion in challenging all comers and I lost, but I did manage to take round 2 off him with Zangief :D, and he then got all cheap with the jumping vertical kick that's so hard to get past with the hiruste russkie.

WOW thats some crazy hits! reminded me of DMC 4 and MK4

Woe Is You:

theultimateend:

Especially some of those combos that were essentially three to four button combos repeated infinitely. I'm sure it takes talent but overall it just felt like he was doing combos to characters that weren't being played (for the exception of one scene when the other one appears to move).

That's what the definition of a combo is, though. Once it begins, the player getting hit by it can't do anything at all to prevent being hit by all the hits that come after it. Well, unless the game has something specifically designed to stop it, like Guilty Gear's bursts or KI's combo breakers for instance.

But yes, MvC2 is rather notorious for the sheer amount of infinites the game has. When even Dan has an infinite, you know something must've gone wrong.

Well I meant they weren't moving at all, you can usually catch attempts to jump or counter in some fashion.

But yeah overall it just gets boring when its punch, hadokuken, punch, hadokuken, punch, kick, punch, hadokuken (repeat till your balls descend).

In particular the cable combo where he just tosses the grenade then hits tosses the grenade then hits, rinse and repeat then almost miss with finisher.

Great; another thing I can feel inadequate at.

Well there goes my random vs. mode button bashing out the window

damn that guy knows his stuff

MvC was never known as the paragon of balanced gaming. Of all the fighting franchises, DOA is still probably the best and most balanced.

Oh, and corner-spamming infinite juggles? Yeah, thats not good - thats just "I got the first hit and now am going to exploit an oversight."

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here