The Path Developer Teases New Project

The Path Developer Teases New Project

Indie studio Tale of Tales has teased its follow up to critically acclaimed title The Path, with an image of its lead character.

Tales of Tales garnered a lot of attention with their recent release The Path, a vivid retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, which experimented with narrative structure and eschewed the normal victory conditions of videogames. Tale of Tales's next project should be equally interested, as it focuses on the biblical character Salome, who was responsible for the death of John the Baptist and is seen in Christian tradition as a symbol of the dangers of female seductiveness.

Salome as a character has been depicted in a number of different ways over the years, ranging from a young woman manipulated by her mother to a crazed necrophiliac temptress in a play by Oscar Wilde.

Tale of Tales's project, tentatively titled Fatale, will apparently try and address all of these different interpretations, and to that end they enlisted the help of Takayoshi Sato, whose guiding hand helped shape Silent Hill 1 & 2, to model the lead character:

"Sato's Salome is all of these women. She's not a classic beauty. But very pretty nonetheless. She doesn't wear lot of clothing after having danced away her veils. But her nakedness feels natural in the cool night breeze. The abundance of jewellery on her body is at once arrogant and innocent. She's attractive but there is nothing obscene about her. Her sensuality is that of a virgin. Her skin is telling us that our touch will corrupt her. She challenges us. She confuses us."

As confusing as this sounds, this kind of metaphorical storytelling is what Tale of Tales do, as anyone who has played The Path can attest to. Sato's Salome can be seen to the right, and a larger version of it can be seen here.

I loved the path. Cant wait for whatever is next.

I think of all the oversexualized female depictions in other video games, and I look at this and say "This is so much more beautiful."

I'm really looking forward to this game (almost wrote "gem"). <3

While I enjoyed The Path, I sort of hated his follow up, the one with the old lady walking through a cemetery. Felt like it might as well have been a short film, it did nothing with the strengths of the medium.

Hopefully this will be better.

"Sato's Salome is all of these women. She's not a classic beauty. But very pretty nonetheless. She doesn't wear lot of clothing after having danced away her veils. But her nakedness feels natural in the cool night breeze. The abundance of jewellery on her body is at once arrogant and innocent. She's attractive but there is nothing obscene about her. Her sensuality is that of a virgin. Her skin is telling us that our touch will corrupt her. She challenges us. She confuses us."

If they pull this off, it's yet another feather in the 'Games as art' cap, which can't be a bad thing by any means.

necrophiliac?that should be a,how do I put this,Interesting thing in the game.

personally I've never heard of this path game of which you speak

What is with the hype over this developer. The path was literally you using like 7 different characters to walk around for hours doing nothing, then you might get a "spooky" cutscene and then you win. Sure the atmosphere is great, and I commend them on that. However, you can't have atmosphere and no gameplay, or a real story, or any real goal either. You just dick around for a while hoping to get a cutscene that lets you know that you finally died and you can go play a fun game.

Sounds like they are still too high minded to make an actual game. Never mind though, eh.

AgentNein:
While I enjoyed The Path, I sort of hated his follow up, the one with the old lady walking through a cemetery. Felt like it might as well have been a short film, it did nothing with the strengths of the medium.

They made them in reverse order, but that's sorta Samyn's style. Content over design and all that. The Path was a huge improvement in terms of actually being an interesting game for those folks.

This is one of those things that can turn into an amazing experience or it can end up being a piece of... poop.

Well...they did make the path. If anyone can make a sex figure become art, it would be them.

Halfbreed13:
What is with the hype over this developer. The path was literally you using like 7 different characters to walk around for hours doing nothing, then you might get a "spooky" cutscene and then you win. Sure the atmosphere is great, and I commend them on that. However, you can't have atmosphere and no gameplay, or a real story, or any real goal either. You just dick around for a while hoping to get a cutscene that lets you know that you finally died and you can go play a fun game.

Its not really ment to be viewed as a game. The gameplay is just a way to make a multy leveled story, that cant be done in a movie.

wrecker77:

Halfbreed13:

Its not really ment to be viewed as a game. The gameplay is just a way to make a multy leveled story, that cant be done in a movie.

Not a game? Really? Should it be my new frisbee? 10 bucks is a bit steep for a coaster.
Even if that was true, the story was so obscure and unintelligble that it is not even worth it.

Sounds great, shame we in the US won't see the whole version. Let us know how it is across the pond, eh?

L.B. Jeffries:

AgentNein:

They made them in reverse order, but that's sorta Samyn's style. Content over design and all that. The Path was a huge improvement in terms of actually being an interesting game for those folks.

Odd, not sure where I got the idea it was the other way around.

I guess I'm okay with the notion of content over design, I just feel like the design (when it comes to this particular medium) should at best reinforce the content. I'm fairly sure that was even what he was going for with The Cemetery (think that's the correct title?) but it just didn't come through for me. Never got the feeling that I could empathize (any moreso)with this old hobbly woman, rather I felt like I was behind the old hobbly woman in line or something.

Of course now that I realize that The Path came after The Cemetery, I feel he's gotten a much better handle on incorporating the two!

Halfbreed13:

wrecker77:

Halfbreed13:

Not a game? Really? Should it be my new frisbee? 10 bucks is a bit steep for a coaster.
Even if that was true, the story was so obscure and unintelligble that it is not even worth it.

I didnt say its NOT a game.

Watch these videos and beleive me, you will have a new outlook on the game. I was like you and didnt like the game, untill I started to understand the metaphores.

EDIT: also their is no phisical copy of the game so I hope you like using your computor as a coaster.

Hm... never heard of The Path. But, looking at the game's homepage, I saw a quote from Arendt's review of the game, so I might check it out some time.

Florion:
I think of all the oversexualized female depictions in other video games, and I look at this and say "This is so much more beautiful."

It's a healthy break, all other games try to bring sexyness to the foreground, this game says hey well if you want but you only get that as a by product of her beauty..

wrecker77:

Halfbreed13:

wrecker77:

Halfbreed13:

Watch these videos and beleive me, you will have a new outlook on the game. I was like you and didnt like the game, untill I started to understand the metaphores.

EDIT: also their is no phisical copy of the game so I hope you like using your computor as a coaster.

I am watching their videos, but I still stand by the fact that playing a game for an hour (which it took me) to find one "wolf" drenched in metaphore that takes another hour to sort through in your head, does not make a good game. Maybe it is artsy and deep and everything, but it seems to try to hard.

It is like how when in school, you had to analyze every single thing on every page until you hated the book. It got to the point where you knew that the author did not mentally insert fifteen foreshadowing items into ten pages. In the path, it is the reverse where the creators [i]did[i/] intend to have so much representation that it isn't even fun to try and figure it all out.
(maybe my analogy didn't work but I hope you get the general idea)

Halfbreed13:

wrecker77:

Halfbreed13:

wrecker77:

Halfbreed13:

I am watching their videos, but I still stand by the fact that playing a game for an hour (which it took me) to find one "wolf" drenched in metaphore that takes another hour to sort through in your head, does not make a good game. Maybe it is artsy and deep and everything, but it seems to try to hard.

It is like how when in school, you had to analyze every single thing on every page until you hated the book. It got to the point where you knew that the author did not mentally insert fifteen foreshadowing items into ten pages. In the path, it is the reverse where the creators [i]did[i/] intend to have so much representation that it isn't even fun to try and figure it all out.
(maybe my analogy didn't work but I hope you get the general idea)

I say agree to disagree theres no point arguing over whether you enjoyed the game or not its personal opinion.

My view on the path is it was quite weak in gameplay but the fabulous music score and sound effects and the general feeling of hopelessness travelling around the forest made up for it.

But to be honest you have to really get engrossed in thestory to appreciate it it isvery deep and the story can be interpreted in many ways.

Ive never been more terrified playing a game before the creators let the viewers imagination fill out thegaps.

And the moreactiveand open the mind the more grusome the image.

wrecker77:

Halfbreed13:

wrecker77:

Halfbreed13:

Thanks for linking that video! I didn't know it was out there; I played the Path and really enjoyed the experience, but wasn't exactly sure what to take from it.

It's a difficult piece to understand if you're not used to very symbolic art, or an art game created to function more as art than as a game. You can't, absolutely can't judge it from the point of view of fun, because that's not how it's meant to be experienced. You don't even have a right to say it's "bad" or "good" until you understand what it means - sure, you can say you didn't enjoy it, because you felt that it was too inaccessible, but it's not the most intelligent opinion.

nilcypher:

While at the same time that guy thought all of that I merely thought "she's going to be in a video game without such a huge rack!"

Amnestic:

If they pull this off, it's yet another feather in the 'Games as art' cap, which can't be a bad thing by any means.

yeah, I hate the people who argue that games aren't art, I mean, sure its pretentious as all hell but hey, an new title other than the 'murder simultion' title, bring on the art.

I got The Path. I would have played it for longer than 15 minutea if only there were a way to turn off the unsubtle backgound music. Who knows, maybe one day I'll go through the sound files and see if I can erase the music. That said, I still find myself looking forward to their next project. If they had a little extra capital under their belt it would be a good game for consoles.

So this sounds like it'll be The Path, but with a different character.

If they actually made the multimedia presentation known as "The Path" into a cohesive game, I might be more excited it. The music was awesome however.

Halfbreed13:
(lots of ranting about The Path)

The fact that you're constantly referring to it as a game leads me to believe you're going into it with completely the wrong expectations. It's not a game, it's... a hybrid of an exploration tool and an interactive storytelling medium. I don't mean to be rude but you really need to adjust your expectations or just give it a rest, because your current moan is roughly equivalent to bitching about a kettle that doesn't make toasted sandwiches.

So, with that aside... I actually just got The Path this past week and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It made me think a lot, which is something I've been missing out on with my habit of mindlessly playing plastic guitar games. I've been looking at their other stuff with intent to buy, so I guess this will be another on the same list.

Okay well I played it again after a three months and with sound volume turned to low I found myself enjoying it, and this time around the repetitive music didn't detract any from the experience. Maybe I'm just in a different head space who knows.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.