Wii Games Get Better In 2009

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wii Games Get Better In 2009

Gamers love to rag on the Wii for its large complement of "shovelware" titles, but the truth is that its games are getting better - as the average review score for the Wii took a large swing upward in 2009.

In case you haven't noticed, the Wii is in the lead this console generation by a pretty wide margin. And as with the PS2 before it, the large number of games developed for the system results in a comparatively large number of crappy games. In 2008, the average Wii game score was 60%, compared with 68% for the PS3 and 66% for the Xbox 360. So is it any wonder that core gamers love to rag on the console with the inferior games?

It might be harder to keep doing that, though. EEDAR's Divnich Debrief took a look at the average scores for the three consoles, and found that in 2009, the Wii's average had jumped to 66%, while the 360's moved up to 67% and the PS3 fell a fraction of a percent. A 6% leap might not sound like such a big deal, but in the middle of a console cycle a jump of that magnitude is unprecedented, says Jesse Divnich: "Nevertheless, no console over the last 10 years has ever produced this much of a shift in their aggregated quality score in the middle of a cycle."

So what's the explanation, here? Are reviewers grading Wii games on a curve, now? "Oh, it's good - for a Wii game." Is the Motion-Plus making that big of a difference? Or, as Divnich posits, "it could be possible that developers finally 'get' the Wii." Mandatory waggle segments may be less clunky and more seamlessly integrated as developers get accustomed to the technology.

Whatever the cause, the Wii is finally performing at the rate of its brethren in this iteration of the console wars, though it seems unlikely that core gamers will stop bashing it anytime soon.

Good to see improvement. Hopefully, we get some titles that will actually cause some "hardcore" gamers (who bash the Wii for it's lack of graphics power) to go "Damn, I wish I had a Wii." And maybe I'll finally be able to pull out the Wii in our house and get the layer of dust off it.

Let's hope this means they're finally making games that don't put me to sleep.

Well, that's good to hear. 'Course people are still gonna say that the Wii games are 'worse...' by 2%.

JRCB:
And maybe I'll finally be able to pull out the Wii in our house and get the layer of dust off it.

I agree entirely, if girls in the house didn't use the Wii Fit mine would have been a complete waste of money. As it is, it was just a complete waste of my money.

Also the fact that the Wii is so goddamn prevalent in so many homes, probably means that developers are more willing to put enough money into better ports and more intuitive controls for original games. There's a lot of them in homes out there, so a big hit on a Wii can sell more than one on the 360 and PS3 combined. Still, I really can't see my PS3 or 360 being replaced (I only have two sockets spare for consoles) so it will always be a case of extension leads and half-love for my Wii.

I think it's because the fad of wiggle controls is wearing off, and the only people still playing Wiis are those who either see its' potential as a gaming device and the potential of developers to make decent games.

Flying-Emu will be pleased.

It also goes to show you that the average quality of games for each system is relatively the same. Unless that HALF A PERCENTAGE POINT means a whole lot to you, nobody should be able to say anymore: "Yeah man, INSERT SYSTEM HERE totally has the best games!"

I'd still like to see how he accumulated his data, just for curiosity's sake.

TheGreenManalishi:
I think it's because the fad of wiggle controls is wearing off, and the only people still playing Wiis are those who either see its' potential as a gaming device and the potential of developers to make decent games.

My buddy and I still play on his Wii fairly often, as it's really good for most sporting games(we play a lot of Tiger Woods because we're both too poor to actually hit the links right now). Sure it's not as good for, say, FPS games, but it's good for having a few people over and just doing something stupid for a hour or so.

Little King's Story on Wii is a fantastic game. Much better than it's closest recent equivalent, Overlord on the 360, so a "good for the Wii" bias is total BS in that example at least.

I think this is because developers are finally taking the system seriously. It isn't that gimmicky thing with the wiggle-stick any more. This thing is a relevant console, and great games can be made for it. I'm really looking forward to this holiday season, as well as early 2010 for great Wii releases.

Awesome. At least its improving now. Last year was a shitty year for the Wii anyway, but at least 2009 is treating the Wii better.

I am still waiting for a game for the wii that has story. I play mine when my mom or friends or such come over and we want a party game but I have yet to see a wii game with a indepth story. Hopefully when Fragile finally hits the US it will be as good as I have heard on the story front.

I think the Wii does have its uses as a get friends together and play wii sports etc. and it does have some pretty good games for that but otherwise I will stick to playing my ps2, ps3 and xbox 360 games for stories.

Yeah cause ratings are always really accurate, sure, ok.

CantFaketheFunk:
Whatever the cause, the Wii is finally performing at the rate of its brethren in this iteration of the console wars...

Positive reviews for Wii games are worthless if no one is buying Wii games.

Has there been a shift lately about how often the Wii is actually being played? I recall it being the least played console of two generations...

Pendragon9:
Let's hope this means they're finally making games that don't put me to sleep.

If I did something wrong with the quote I'm sorry but I'm going to say.

I hope they do make those games; cause right now I feel the Wii is just a skinnier lunch box Nintendo made.

But the Wii already has good games. Granted this is a good thing.

hansari:

CantFaketheFunk:
Whatever the cause, the Wii is finally performing at the rate of its brethren in this iteration of the console wars...

Positive reviews for Wii games are worthless if no one is buying Wii games.

Has there been a shift lately about how often the Wii is actually being played? I recall it being the least played console of two generations...

Don't confuse how many hours are spent playing with how many games are being played. It just happens that Wii owners don't bother spending all their free time hunkered over the little box. Not necessarily a bad thing.

The figures on tie ratio show that the PS3 just barely passed the Wii in April. And that was while PS3 sales were slowing and Wii sales were climbing. Since the tie ratio is how many games divided by number of units sold, slowing console sales naturally increases your tie ratio (as it did for the PS3) while increasing console sales should actually diminish your tie ratio unless everybody who picks up a console is also buying about the same number of games as everybody else already has.. either that, or the current owners are picking up games at an increasing pace -- which seems to be what's happening.

Predicted timeline of events (this was made just before the launch of the Wii):
-Wii is insanely popular at launch due to innovative titles.
-Wii popularity continues as various classic Nintendo IPs are released.
-Massive lull in new titles due to developers not having a clue what to do with the console. Wii popularity declines.
-Some more decent titles are released that essentially copycat gimmicks. Wii gains some popularity. (this is that spike in popularity)
-More sameyness. Wii popularity declines a lot. (this is where we are right now)
-Developers start to catch on, near miraculous innovation. Wii popularity skyrockets.
-Nintendo rides the gravy train of innovation for a while.
-Wii popularity declines just in time for 8th console generation.

Those last three are purely theoretical. If that first surge in innovation doesn't happen, the Wii will tank entirely.

So, they're finally getting rid of the controller.

About time if you ask me.

Still not buying one, or playing the dusty one sitting in my living room that my family stopped playing after they realized it's a gimmick that gets old fast. Most of its good games are all remakes.

I'm completely happy with my PC, ps3 combo.

Sad that people still think that the toy named after what my 2 year old calls piss is a game console.

I hope the Wii's games are going to get better. I have my Wii above my 360 collecting dust... and I feel sorry for it.
Come on, Nintendo. You can do it. New, good games... NOW!

Kiutu:

To be fair they are pretty accurate.

What great joke... You ever tried being comedian.. Srsly, Wii games getting better... Ahahaa!

Vanguard_Ex:

Kiutu:

If you mean for Wii games, you could be right since I dont pay close attention to Wii anymore. If you mean in general, I dont think so.

Kiutu:

Vanguard_Ex:

Kiutu:

If you mean for Wii games, you could be right since I dont pay close attention to Wii anymore. If you mean in general, I dont think so.

I don't know for Wii games, I don't give two shits about the Wii myself. Actually I might switch to your side for this one. I would like to know how and where they get these 'ratings'.

It does have good games, it's just that their drowned in loads and loads of shovelware. That's what was keeping the average rating down. The good ratings from good games were cancelled out by crap ratings from crappy shovelware. It's a shame really.

Well the holiday hasn't started yet, and that's when all the good PS3 and Xbox 360 games come out (and after all the delays, this includes the beginning of 2010), I'll be impressed if these scores remain the same through the end of the year.

CantFaketheFunk:

So what's the explanation, here? Are reviewers grading Wii games on a curve, now? "Oh, it's good - for a Wii game." Is the Motion-Plus making that big of a difference? Or, as Divnich posits, "it could be possible that developers finally 'get' the Wii." Mandatory waggle segments may be less clunky and more seamlessly integrated as developers get accustomed to the technology.

my guess is Divnich has it right, although we'll find out how much developers have really learned once Red Steel 2 comes out.

Or, as Divnich posits, "it could be possible that developers finally 'get' the Wii." Mandatory waggle segments may be less clunky and more seamlessly integrated as developers get accustomed to the technology.

Cursed Mountain is one of the few titles to get motion controls. It has a really interesting situation where you have to do ritualistic hand gestures to free the spirits you encounter and oddly enough... it's really immersive. It's feels like you're actually doing something significant. Twilight Princess is one of the many titles that had it wrong.

midpipps:
I am still waiting for a game for the wii that has story. I play mine when my mom or friends or such come over and we want a party game but I have yet to see a wii game with a indepth story.

Speaking of Cursed Mountain... ;-)

I was a little hesitant about getting the game because the reviews are modest scores (but they praise everything that I find lacking in most games). However, it's doing something that needed to be done for the Wii... mature gaming. It's not mature because it has loads of violence and nudity. It's mature because it doesn't cater to a child's intellect.

I have to warn you though, it's not an action game. It's a slower paced adventure. I really liked Endless Ocean for it's relaxing pace and this game feels the same. Many of the reviews claimed that gamers would have to get used to running everywhere, but I'm finding it quite enjoyable to just walk (hike) and treat it like a realistic experience. I only run when the ghosts are chasing me. ;-)

I think I'm about half way through, but it's been really good so far. It's based on Tibetan lore and feels very rich in setting. Play it at night in the dark. Good stuff.

Kiutu:

If anything, I'd say they've become 'less accurate' if the Wii appears to be catching up to its superiors. Either that or whatever study is showing this data is completely off its nut.

CantFaketheFunk:
Are reviewers grading Wii games on a curve, now? "Oh, it's good - for a Wii game."

This seems to be it considering I'm missing all those supposedly great titles that would influence such a come back.

... That said, it's also true that the words "good for a wii game" are becoming more and more common on Wii games' reviews these days. It's kinda like reviewers have accepted the limited potential of the Wii and condescendingly scaled their expectations accordingly. Kind of like you congratulate a retarded kid for finishing a race, even if it takes him twice the time everybody else would...

Cryo84R:
Sad that people still think that the toy named after what my 2 year old calls piss is a game console.

This confuses me. Google is your friend in this case.

1. an object designed for children to play with, such as a doll or model car
2. an object that adults use for entertainment rather than for a serious purpose:

Unless getting headshots is serious business for you, your PS3/360/games console is a toy. It might be able to do other things, but it's first port of call as a games console is that it plays games. Ergo, it's a toy. No clue what the Wii must be playing if they aren't games though, guess you've got me there, I guess it isn't a games console. >_>

scotth266:
Flying-Emu will be pleased.

Oh snap! He got called out!

And such. If you're implying what I think you are, that pisses him off actually, he would disagree.

Echolocating:

Snip

Cursed mountain actually sounds pretty interesting may have to look and see if I can find it around here. I had not even heard of this game which brings me to probably the biggest qualm with wii. There is so much junk coming out it is hard to sift through to find the gems that are not AAA and marketing is pretty much nonexistant for anything other then nintendo or ea games which is sad because I am sure there are some better games that just skip by without anyone noticing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here