Russian Priest Pitches Idea for a Religious MMOG

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Russian Priest Pitches Idea for a Religious MMOG

The Russian Orthodox Church has received what is probably the first and only pitch for a videogame it will ever get in the form of a design document whipped up by a priest with an idea for a religious MMOG.

You can't say that World of Warcraft doesn't have religion in it. Those who would say the act of playing the game has spiritual dimensions aside, you've got Paladins who worship the Holy Light, Druids who worship nature, Mages who are into the arcane, not to mention your Priests, who are just straight up spiritual by definition. But imagine a game where religion isn't just some lore background that explains the history of your class, but an actual theme that an MMOG revolves around.

That's what the idea behind the game one Father Maxim of the Russian Orthodox Church has pitched. The priest apparently submitted a design document to a Moscow branch of the church hoping to get them interested in backing the project, which will be an MMOG in which you're rewarded for doing good deeds but "suffer hardships" for going against the faith. Progress in the game, apparently, is measured by how well you can obey the Ten Commandments.

"Young people spend their time in a virtual world, and it'll be better if they spiritually develop instead of 'shooting and killing," Father Maxim said.

And like any role-playing game, there are player classes. Male characters can choose to become seminarians, priests or bishops, while female characters can be sisters of mercy, nuns, and even rank up to become mother superiors. Apparently you can also choose to go either the secular path or live within the church.

Sounds like a real grind, but hey, that's an MMOG for you.

[Via GameCulture]

That's the problem with "religious" games. They see the world ONE way and the only way to succeed in their game is to follow their ONE way. It's inherently flawed.

But this one says you can walk a secular path, so maybe they might have a good approach to this one.

It...sounds interesting to say the least. Will it be successful? Probably not.

...Also, I find it funny that a guy wanting to make a religious MMOG is named Maxim.

Well, I don't suppose it could be worse that WoW.

Also could be pretty funny to see what a couple of 4channers would do if they got on the game.

Well, if you get to play as the guy in the picture, I'm sold.

Let me guess, the Secular path ends with your character being in Hell, and way more weak than the priests.

I'm just going out there to say this is a really, really, really terrible idea.

Hmmm... I was hoping it would have other religions in it too, instead of being an overly biased Christian game... And have all the different religions fighting eachother...

That sounds like a very boring and bad game.

Mezzamine:

Well, if you play WoW...

Awsome, I want to be a level 60 cardinal. I have the power to bless holy water, preside over a marriage, vote in the Vatican council and I have the saving roll cover up church sex scandals.

.....In all reality, this sounds kinda strange, but hey it could work. The concept its self sounds interesting, but it would be cool to include other religions, after all Buddists have a +2 mana regeneration rate.

I actually think this could work. Not many people would buy it and it would get bumrushed by people like 4chan (if they can organise themselves anymore) but hell It sounds not bad for a religious game I guess.

It's not the first time that Russian Priests have been involved though

The_root_of_all_evil:

For some reason this makes me think of that preist in World War Z

Sorry for the double post

I guess it's good for kids who's very religous parents don't let him play games.

Hmmm, still what would be the primary game mechanic? I mean for regular MMOGs its killing people.

Mezzamine:

That's a Paladin art picture from Warcraft, wearing the Alliance level 60 Plate PvP set no less so...yeah. You might not be able to look that badass in game but you can get pretty close.

Frankly? This sounds like it's going to crash and burn. Badly.

"Young people spend their time in a virtual world, and it'll be better if they spiritually develop instead of 'shooting and killing,"

Doing good deeds in a game help you spiritually develop? That's...well I find that odd personally. Personally I thought being educated in philosophy and looking at the world I lived in helped me spiritually develop, but hey, what do I know?

To be fair, it's not a terrible idea, and hey it might get people interested in religion. However, there are hundreds of religions in the world, so I'm sure that someone's going to call offense to the idea.

Also, the Rabbi class will be overpowered.

IxionIndustries:
Hmmm... I was hoping it would have other religions in it too, instead of being an overly biased Christian game... And have all the different religions fighting eachother...

We already do, most people call that real life.

I see a problem with a player base that might include other Faiths than just Christianity.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Right, but he partakes in the "shooting and killing," which apparently means Father Grigori would have a helluva time trying to create a powerful avatar.

It doesn't like a bad idea...if you have an open enough mind to accept it, which isn't the case for most people, especially gamers.

if you want an mmo for religion go to sl, altho you will probably be bombarded with a rain of penises, you could still make your own lil church there just dont ask what ppl are doing in the back room

It's an interesting idea, though I would rather have an Old-Testement-style game. Think about it: you've got mad prophets, God's wrath smiting left and right, armies on the march...the Old-Testement would make an awesome game.

Modern religion, maybe not so much. We'll see how it goes.

At least there's some interest in trying something new...I can't imagine any other religion considering something like this (in an official form anyway).

I mightn't agree with the sentiments involved in the game, but if you could make "doing good deeds" without murdering "enemies" along the way and it still be a compelling game, well then surely there would be something to learn from.

Though it'll never get made in any real form and even if it did it would probably (definitely?) be awful...I mean most licenced games suck...but a game on licence from religion...the interference level would be sky high...I mean when you consider these guys are kinda like "God's" editor (I don't know about orthodoxy but I know that Catholicism only uses about 14% of the bible in sermons)...I doubt they'd have any issue slamming down on a foolish developer...

Sparrow Tag:

Seriously?
It's inherently worse than WoW.

What would you even do in the game, anyway?
Doesn't look like you'll be fighting demons because there's no "killing."
So you...preach?
Give sermons?
Pray?

That's exciting as hell, sign me up.

I expect if it gets made, there'll be maybe twenty people who actually play it, and ten of them will just be trolls.

MaxTheReaper:

Sparrow Tag:

Seriously?
It's inherently worse than WoW.

What would you even do in the game, anyway?
Doesn't look like you'll be fighting demons because there's no "killing."
So you...preach?
Give sermons?
Pray?

That's exciting as hell, sign me up.

I expect if it gets made, there'll be maybe twenty people who actually play it, and ten of them will just be trolls.

WoW is boring as hellfire though. Honestly, I think this game would be more interesting if not just for the laughs.

Didn't they try this with the Left Behind series?

Sparrow Tag:

WoW is boring as hellfire though. Honestly, I think this game would be more interesting if not just for the laughs.

The people were what made WoW interesting for me.
People who are fanatic enough to buy and play a game wherein, presumably, nothing interesting happens, just because it's religious, probably won't be great conversation.
"Hey how is every--"
"ALL HAIL [WHOEVER], THE ONE TRUE GOD!"
"NO FUCK YOU [WHOEVER Y] IS THE TRUE GOD!"
"Okay I'm just gonna go...now."

MaxTheReaper:

Sparrow Tag:

The people were what made WoW interesting for me.
People who are fanatic enough to buy and play a game wherein, presumably, nothing interesting happens, just because it's religious, probably won't be great conversation.
"Hey how is every--"
"ALL HAIL [WHOEVER], THE ONE TRUE GOD!"
"NO FUCK YOU [WHOEVER Y] IS THE TRUE GOD!"
"Okay I'm just gonna go...now."

Did religion wrong you in some way? You do realise that litterally no Christians or Jews are like that, right? Others, I have no clue of.

Now i'm not religeous, but i do think that this idea sounds quie good...in a strange way...

Sparrow Tag:

Did religion wrong you in some way? You do realise that literally no Christians or Jews are like that, right? Others, I have no clue of.

Like I said: Maybe ten people will play.
I'm fully aware that most religious people are normal.
Hell, most people are normal.

But every group has fanatics.
Also, not "literally."
Some are.

Orange Monkey:
Hmmm, still what would be the primary game mechanic? I mean for regular MMOGs its killing people.

not killing people?, you sit there, buy new spells and choose not to attack anything (Y)

No one wants to do good deeds, especially in games, where, when boredom strikes, slaughters tend to be a regular occurance.

You're looking at the final boss, dawgs.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here