Okami Sequel Okamiden Confirmed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Okami Sequel Okamiden Confirmed

Capcom has confirmed rumors, announcing a portable sequel to cult hit Okami - Okamiden: Chiisaki Taiyo for the Nintendo DS, starring wolf-god-puppy Chibiterasu as he paints his way through the stylized feudal Japan of the first game.

Last week, rumors started circulating following the discovery that Capcom had registered the name Okamiden, spurring hope that fans of the beloved cult hit Okami might have a sequel on their hands. Earlier today, we saw Famitsu scans that appeared to show a new Okami game for the DS. Now, we have confirmation: The two games are one and the same, as Okamiden: Chiisaki Taiyo will be debuting at the Tokyo Game Show at the end of the month, translates 1UP.

Okamiden (the full title translates to something like "Okami Legends: Little Sun") will be produced by Motohide Eshiro of the Ace Attorney series, and directed by Kuniomi Matsushita, who worked on the Dino Crisis game and directed the well-received Wii port of the original Okami. Given that the stylus controls of the DS seem to be a perfect fit for the paintbrush-themed gameplay of Okami, it was really a no-brainer to put the new game on Nintendo's handheld, explained Matsushita:

"As you know, Okami's visuals and game system are extremely unique," he said. "The original idea was to take what makes this game special and expose it to more people. That was why we chose the Nintendo DS -- being on a portable system will allow people to easily pick up and play it, and you can also use the touch pen as a brush."

Okamiden will not start Amaterasu, the goddess-in-wolf-form heroine of the first game, but it will take place in the heavily stylized fantasy feudal Japan of the first game. The player will play as Chibiterasu ("chibi" being Japanese for "small" or "diminutive,") an entity that reportedly resembles a puppy version of Amaterasu's wolf form. Whether or not he (or is it she?) was the offspring of the goddess was still a "secret," said Eshiro, though he did say that though the wolf-pup would have access to most of the abilities the elder divinity had in Okami.

The demons defeated by Amaterasu in the first game have returned to stir up trouble, and it's up to Chibiterasu to set things back to normal. As before, the gameplay will be centered around the use of the magical brush, painting on the screen with the stylus to solve puzzles and defeat enemies. A new aspect of the game will be its partners, who will work together with Chibiterasu as the game progresses.

"The basic theme of returning life and nature to the world is the same as in Okami," Eshiro said. "What's different is that the relationship with your partners will be given just as much weight storywise. The themes are the same, but the nuances are different."

Okami is truly beloved by most of those who have played it (all thirty-eight of them) so this can only come as good news for fans of the first game. We'll find out more about Okamiden when it makes its debut at the Tokyo Game Show.

But yes. More Okami, starring a wolf-god puppy? Sign me up. (That sound you hear is likely Escapist Senior Editor Susan Arendt "awwwww"ing.)

^.^ I loved that game, and recently my DS has just been collecting dust. I can't wait.

I'm looking forward to this. I've only been playing the Wii, while I've ignored my DS.

Soooo... is Clover in the picture at all?

Asciotes:
^.^ I loved that game, and recently my DS has just been collecting dust. I can't wait.

Wow, that's impressive. I don't think I've ever gone outside without the thing.

Great, this is brilliant! I didn't think we'd be seeing a sequel, considering the sales of the previous game, but I'm glad to see Capcom showing some fan service ^_^

whoo hooo^^ i loved the fist game and can't wait to see the second one

For once I can see the crappy stylus getting some use, thanks to this game. Leave it to Capcom to impress me day after day. I'm actually looking forward to this.

i'm still skeptical. Chibiterasu is an astoundingly stupid name.

Eric the Orange:
Soooo... is Clover in the picture at all?

nope, they're too busy trying to make bayonetta not look horrible on the PS3.

Okamiden (the full title translates to something like "Okami Legends: Little Sun")

I will never understand how that works.

pimppeter2:

Okamiden (the full title translates to something like "Okami Legends: Little Sun")

I will never understand how that works.

Okami Den (for Densetsu, "Legends"): Chiisaki (Small/Little) Taiyo (Sun).

If it offers me another well-balanced 60+ hour action-adventure game full of challenging combat, clever puzzles, and beautiful aesthetics I can't wait.

This, and scribblenauts will keep my DS from death by dust. Always thought okami would have been great with the DS stylist.

But maybe this time they won't make it as long as 'war and peace'. It started to groan on me when i got to the underwater dragon city. GEEEEEZ that game was long.

As much as I love Okami, I'm not sure a sequel is a wise idea, even less if it's on the DS. The stylus might be the ideal way to use the Brush, but could a true Okami experience really be delivered on a handheld system? I want to believe that it'll be an amazing success, but I'll remain skeptical until we know more.

This news has absolutely made my day. I love Capcom.

My heart is racing, I'm so excited.

CantFaketheFunk:
Okami is truly beloved by most of those who have played it (all thirty-eight of them)

I lol'd, that made my evening since Lynn loves Okami.

Great! Now I have to buy a DS.

YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Sadly, I've played Okami on the Wii but I've never finished it and that really disappoints me. It was a very beautiful game, and the wiimote was perfect for the game, making slashes and slices every which way.

Even more sad, I hardly play my DS anyway, so I probably won't pick this up anyway. Though I will force my friend to, so I can mooch off him and play it myself.

its.... beautiful...

Awesome, but I don't have a DS.....

dammit

CoverYourHead:
Great! Now I have to buy a DS.

Same here...

ugh...

Jumplion:

Sadly, I've played Okami on the Wii but I've never finished it and that really disappoints me. It was a very beautiful game, and the wiimote was perfect for the game, making slashes and slices every which way.

Even more sad, I hardly play my DS anyway, so I probably won't pick this up anyway. Though I will force my friend to, so I can mooch off him and play it myself.

But if you already have a DS...nevermind.

Anyway as someone who never really got into Okami (yeah I know, shame on me) I think this would be a good way for me to make up for that since I like my DS a lot and have been searching for more games for it that grab my attention and don't have a mind-numbing difficulty curve (Contra 4 being an exception) or are too short.

YES! DO WANT!!!

But I hope to God that Platinum/Clover is somehow involved, although I doubt they will, this is Capcom after all.

But if we get a solid sequel to one of the 50 best games ever then I'll be content.

CantFaketheFunk:
...starring wolf-god-puppy Chibiterasu as he paints his way...

As she paints her way, actually. Amaterasu is the sun goddess of Shinto religion. An error in the translation made everyone confuse her gender, since there is no difference in the word/kanji for god or goddess. She's a girl, though. Rest assured.

Heres hoping all the DS games I want/plan to get don't kill my DS before this comes out. That honor needs to be saved now.

AceDiamond:

Jumplion:

But if you already have a DS...nevermind.

Anyway as someone who never really got into Okami (yeah I know, shame on me) I think this would be a good way for me to make up for that since I like my DS a lot and have been searching for more games for it that grab my attention and don't have a mind-numbing difficulty curve (Contra 4 being an exception) or are too short.

Weird logic, I know, though mainly it's because I don't want to buy something that I know I'll drop in a few weeks >_< that's what happens with most Nintendo games I own, I play them for a week or two and then drop it. It annoys me greatly, though the one game that I've played forever is Elite Beat Agents (FUCK YOU IniS FOR NOT MAKING ELITE BEAT AGENTS 2!!!! *starts humming Mama Mia, a perfect song for EBA*)

Michael_McCloud:

CantFaketheFunk:
...starring wolf-god-puppy Chibiterasu as he paints his way...

As she paints her way, actually. Amaterasu is the sun goddess of Shinto religion. An error in the translation made everyone confuse her gender, since there is no difference in the word/kanji for god or goddess. She's a girl, though. Rest assured.

I know Amaterasu was female - I suppose it's fair to presume Chibiterasu will be the same.

Yes, finally! All my dreams have come...wait, before I start sheding rainbow tears of joy, I have to know whether the fine folks at Clover will be involved. As much as I love Okami, I don't trust a sequel without the original creative minds behind it.

Okami was sheer genius,and in my honest opinion,the DS version will be about hyperboleillionth(yahtzee's going to kill me for that.) times better than any other console it could ever be on.EVER.Hopefully they make the movement system well.If not,It will be a riminder of what could have been.(Although even with a bunk movement system,I'd still play it.I'm just a mindless consumer like that.)

Fingers crossed. I hope this will be awesome. I loved Okami and I'd be crushed if this ruins the series (series of two :P).
Who thinks they'll market an Okami paint brush shaped stylus?

I'm not surprised by this.

Honestly even the original Okami would have lent itself greatly to a touch-screen/stylus system had it been readily available at the time.

This is just natural progression.

I loved that for the Wii!!!!!! lotza smilez!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)!!!!!!

This reminds me: I really need to play Okami already.

ChromeAlchemist:

Asciotes:

Wow, that's impressive. I don't think I've ever gone outside without the thing.

i can tell you i havent, its like my pacemaker.
okami for the ds looks awesome, i had seen the okami for the ps2 but never got to play it, so just like with the upcomming Kingdom Hearts 365/2 Days, ill probbly get it cuz its so far the only game in its series(you know there will be more) accesable to me.
Edit: forgot about the Okami re-make for the wii, sry. but 365/2 is the only one on a nintendo syestem so my post is still valid!!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here