PS3 Slim Install Times Shorter Than PS3 Fat's

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PS3 Slim Install Times Shorter Than PS3 Fat's

Not only is the PS3 Slim smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the PS3 "Phat," it's also a bit quicker - installing games 20% faster than its bigger brother.

Digital Foundry has a video up showing a side-by-side comparison between the PS3 Slim and the old PS3 as they both tackle the notorious Devil May Cry 4 installation. The PS3 Slim turns a better time, finishing three minutes before its elder brother. Granted, three minutes shorter still results in an eighteen-minute install time, but shorter is shorter, no?

The installs required by some PS3 games are one of the more frequent complaints levied at Sony's consoles, since the idea of an "installation" tends to be what puts many console gamers away from running games on the PC - with a console, they think, it should just be pick up, put in, and play.

While these complaints are still valid - this is just a reduction, not an elimination - it's nice to see Sony moving to address them. So the PS3 Slim is cheaper, smaller, and quicker - what's not to love? Now if only they'd bring backwards compatibility back, we'd have ourselves one damn fine machine.

(Via VG247)

Well it's good that the slim is addressing this issue. I believe that one of the install times for MGS4 (1st install) was worse than DMC4 but I could be wrong.

CantFaketheFunk:
Now if only they'd bring backwards compatibility back, we'd have ourselves one damn fine machine.

Really as someone who has a BC PS3 you don't want it, especially if you have a HDTV.
See since the majority of PS2 games were made to fit SDTV's the PS3 won't fit it to your screen (which can cause burn in mind you). Also on some games the sound quality is worse than on a PS2.
For example I was playing RE4 on my PS3 for a bit and the sound was jumpy and... I'm not sure how to describe it. You know when the sound just blasts out a kinda static noise? That's the sound it made.

So all in all, if Sony addresses these issues with BC on the PS3 then you're demand will seem right to me, but since these flaws are so (to me) irritating I don't see why people want BC.

Side note: Really? Bitches love Sanskrit?

I would comment, but that "Bitches love Sanskirt" has me in stiches.

We showed that the disk speed didn't seem to make a difference with install times, so it seems that they changed something in the OS or their API to speed up the install process.

But if it was as easy as software, then you'd think it would be patched into the older PS3s. Oddly limited disk bus speed maybe?

Edit: Faster Blu-Ray read speeds?

I'm buying a PS3 in a month and couldnt really decide which one to buy but this article convinced me to get a slim one

I never really understood everyone's problem with installs. You need to wait for about 20 minutes, ONE time, OH MY GOOOOOOOD.

Xbox 360 is my main console, but on the occasions I used my PS3 the installs never bothered me. Though thanks to the KONZUL WUR mentality Xbox 360 fans constantly feel the need to point out that they don't need to install their games.

Who really cares, does it really matter? No it doesn't.

But at least this gives Sony another FEATURE box to put on the PS3 Slim packaging "FASTER LOAD TIMES!".

Good job on trimming the last panel, because otherwise... well, you know what would have happened.

Anyway, good news for PS3 owners.

Installing games is far better than streaming of the disc

scotth266:
Good job on trimming the last panel, because otherwise... well, you know what would have happened.

It would have been too small to be readable :P

scotth266:

That would have been savage. Funny strip though, I still don't think they're the best, but I at least consider them to be good now.

CantFaketheFunk:

scotth266:

It would have been too small to be readable :P

Damn, that's a 20 on a stealth check! Nice save Funk :P

I never really understood the fervor over the install times specifically: the people complaining about it must never have owned a computer or something. If the installs don't DO anything though, that would be something to be a little irked about.

yeah i've always wondered why people complain about a one time install, it's not as if you have to do it every time you want to play, only the first time you insert the game. you only do it more if you delete the info off your hard drive

still it's cool they sped up the install times

damnit, stop telling me how good the new one is and how chap it is when it came out weeks after i got my fat one...

at least mine looks better! screw you all you slim people, im fat!

That's awesome! Now lets try to get rid of installs altogether next time.

hey i use the load time to read the games manual , grab a snack and hit the head b4 i sit and play so the load time is a non issue

Whoa. When did they put this into the slim?

Seems like another selling point to me.

I guess being primarily a PC gamer I don't really see the problem with installs.

Does it really matter? All you have to do is put in the disk, hit "X", it installs, then you play. Its not rocket science, and only a small wait.

They could watch TV or something...

Angron:
damnit, stop telling me how good the new one is and how chap it is when it came out weeks after i got my fat one...

Yeah, I know the feeling. I got one of the ridiculously priced 60GB ones. Now Sony's got a 120GB, slim, fast-installing PS3 out at HALF the price.

Then I remember mine has full backwards compatibility, and realize it was all worth it. :)

As for install times, oh well, I just go do something else.

I don't really care about loading times, I just leave the game to install and go get food or something for 10min and its normally done.

On backwards compatibility and the HDD: I have the original 60gb with backwards compatibility and I've put in a 200gb HDD into it. So I wont be getting a Slim then :)

Something I always wondered is why I need to install downloaded demos on the PS3 but not the exact same demo on the 360.

Hey hey on the title, have some manners. It's not fat, it's just... Big boned?

I own one of 'em fatties, but I might consider buying the new one, just for the fuck of it.

Does anyone know if Sony's using SATA2 drives in the Slims, rather than SATA1's? Cause, that could be the reason.

I wonder why it is faster, since it is obviously not hard drive speed, as you guys showed. Maybe a faster BluRay drive? since the phat PS3 has what? a 1x or 2x drive? Not exactly speedy.
But I wasn't really bugged by install times anyway, since I play a lot of PC games, I'm used to it.

Why does everone hate instalising, I dont really mind it, its not like that 18 minutes coulsnt be used to be on the escapist, I just let the thing install while I surf the web and listen to music.

Cryo84R:
Something I always wondered is why I need to install downloaded demos on the PS3 but not the exact same demo on the 360.

Ditto.

Maybe, they figure, ya know... You want that demo, just to save it. And send it to a friend. Or stare at the install package. DEFINITELY not because you want to play it.

Honestly, it might be that the installer is smaller than the install (compression, whatnot), and they're trying to be flexible so that you can keep lots of demos local, then install them one at a time. Then delete it and start the next. Better storage management?

I still find it annoying. Kind of like the 20 gazillion button clicks and "No, really, I want to..." prompts to get something to download in the background. Another case where, maybe, they think you're going to say, "Actually, I WOULD like to sit here and stare at the download progress instead of continuing to browse the store. How thoughtful of you!"

EDIT: Why is anyone defending installs, as if they were a bonus? Yes, I realize there are benefits to the installs. No, 20 minutes is not the end of the world. But in an ideal case, they wouldn't be there at all, and the in game load times wouldn't suffer, because Sony decided to use a mature optical technology that had actually surpassed the bandwidth of the older, less-capacious optical medium (meaning, had they waited for 4X BD drives to be available for their purposes, instead of using something that has barely more bandwidth than a 6X DVD drive). Instead, we got bleeding-edge tech, and for all its wonderful aspects, installs to make up for its shoddy bandwidth are not good things. They're annoyances. Why is it such a bad thing to complain about annoyances?

By reacting to every complaint (even from fellow owners) as if they were a raging fanboy from the other side latching onto all your precious console's faults and trying to prove that the other was better, you yourself turn into nothing other than a blathering fanboy. Why can't owners have nitpicks? I paid for the **** thing, I feel we've earned some right to critique it. This is not a war; we are not "providing the other side ammunition". The only way to win this stupid game is not to play.

MK Tha Rebel:

Angron:

Yeah, I know the feeling. I got one of the ridiculously priced 60GB ones. Now Sony's got a 120GB, slim, fast-installing PS3 out at HALF the price.

Then I remember mine has full backwards compatibility, and realize it was all worth it. :)

damn even ur 1 up on me, i dont even get backwards compatability ;)

Geoffrey42:

By reacting to every complaint (even from fellow owners) as if they were a raging fanboy from the other side latching onto all your precious console's faults and trying to prove that the other was better, you yourself turn into nothing other than a blathering fanboy. Why can't owners have nitpicks? I paid for the **** thing, I feel we've earned some right to critique it. This is not a war; we are not "providing the other side ammunition". The only way to win this stupid game is not to play.

I wonder if saying "Like marriage?" to that in indirect speech makes it any less weird.

My older, larger and less attractive PS3 is jealous of the younger, prettier model with a memory that hasn't been ruined by menopause. :(
(Edit: Actually, what the hell am I talking about. I obviously didn't get enough sleep yesterday. My PS3 is way prettier than that young twit.)

also, Sanskrit plz. <3 Or Bengali is pretty too.

Angron:

MK Tha Rebel:

Angron:

Wait, AT ALL? I'm pretty sure the fat 80GB gets SOME because of software updates or something. Sony has a site you can go to to check which games work with which model PS3.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I heard it was the other way around.

You can never really trust the internets...

Anyway, I don't really care about my load times, hell, it gives me time to warm my waffles

scotth266:
I never really understood the fervor over the install times specifically: the people complaining about it must never have owned a computer or something. If the installs don't DO anything though, that would be something to be a little irked about.

Installation makes some games load faster, but that isn't always a good thing.

I remember when I use to have dial-up internet. It was slow, but I managed. Then I got Comcast cable. I became comfortable with it, but now when I sit in front of a computer with dial-up, I feel as if its utterly unbearable.

A few weeks ago, me and a few friends were taking turns playing Street Fighter IV on the Xbox 360. The guy I played with though was so use to ps3 installations that he found the 360 load times unbearable....even though the fights took maybe just 7-15 seconds to load...

Frank_Sinatra_:

CantFaketheFunk:
Now if only they'd bring backwards compatibility back, we'd have ourselves one damn fine machine.

Really as someone who has a BC PS3 you don't want it, especially if you have a HDTV.
See since the majority of PS2 games were made to fit SDTV's the PS3 won't fit it to your screen

Change the settings on your TV.

harhol:

Frank_Sinatra_:

CantFaketheFunk:

See since the majority of PS2 games were made to fit SDTV's the PS3 won't fit it to your screen

Change the settings on your TV.

I did and:
A.) That can cause burn in faster.
B.) Didn't really help there were sill some black bars.

I guess this sounds like a good buying point for it. Saving space helps as well.

MK Tha Rebel:

Angron:

MK Tha Rebel:

Angron:

Wait, AT ALL? I'm pretty sure the fat 80GB gets SOME because of software updates or something. Sony has a site you can go to to check which games work with which model PS3.

well yeh, it has the PS1 compatability, not the PS2...but i dont own that many PS1 games i want to replay :P

im not bothered about it anyway, I still have my PS2 out :P

Angron:

MK Tha Rebel:

Angron:

MK Tha Rebel:

Angron:

well yeh, it has the PS1 compatability, not the PS2...but i dont own that many PS1 games i want to replay :P

im not bothered about it anyway, I still have my PS2 out :P

Oh, well in that case you're set. I mean, certain PS2 games play on the PS3 (according to the website anyway) because they did something to the software. But since you've got a PS2, you're set. You're not missing anything by not playing PS2 games on a PS3.

EDIT: Oh cool, 300th post!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.