Typhoon Delays Deconstruction of Gundam Statue

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Typhoon Delays Deconstruction of Gundam Statue

The months-long saga of Japan and its life-size Gundam statue was to come to an end today - but deconstruction was delayed due to a typhoon. At least, that's what the Japanese want us to think.

We've been dutifully reporting on Bandai's life-size Gundam statue celebrating the franchise's 30th anniversary from the beginning to completion to the most badass wedding ceremony ever, but the story looks like it will at last be coming to an end - deconstruction was scheduled to begin today, as the statue's time to stand guard over Odaiba, Japan, was up.

Or was it? According to CrunchGear, the planned deconstruction has been put off for at least a few days thanks to rather unpleasant weather (specifically, a nasty typhoon). This leads me to one of two interpretations: One, this so-called "typhoon" is actually just cover for its first operational test. Two, this is a sign from The Powers That Be that this statue should be left standing at all costs. Have you learned nothing from the historical Kamikaze, Japan?!

Alas, one can only imagine that deconstruction will proceed as planned once the weather clears up. The statue's ultimate fate is in doubt, but it's strange to imagine that after spending so much time and money building the thing, it would just be scrapped. So perhaps the story isn't quite over just yet.

Maybe while they're taking it apart, somebody will pose the thing into the famous Last Shooting scene from the final battle in the original Mobile Suit Gundam. I mean, if you're going to be taking off its head and arms anyway...

Somehow this reminds me of the egyptian Futurama episode:
"I demand a statue of me a billion cubits high so I can be remembered for all enternity!"

*Builds the statues, reaching through the atmosphere*

"Eh, it's big alright...but i'm thinking maybe too big? Tear it down and start again; and this time, don't embaress yourselves!"

Also, why are they taking it down? Seems like a good tourist attraction.

Il give them £500 and my brother for it!

Why in the hell would you take it apart after putting so much effort into putting it up?

30 years from now kids could be learning about historical landmarks, and the teacher would be like:

Teacher: Kids, who can tell me where this statue is from?

Kid 1: Japan!

Teacher: Very good! Have a toffee.

Kid 2: It's a gundam!

Teacher: Ahh, but what type of gundam? And what timeline? And when was it made?

I forgot to say, the teacher's name is John Funk. It's my story, get your own.

Oh come on! The thing is like a Japanese Eiffel Tower. Why would they destroy it?

Well if the typhoon gets severe enough it may excelerate the deconstruction, and without having to pay someone to do it.

They're not taking ti down, it's going to fly off. Or something. I'm not into Gundam, but this is awesome.

Nimbus:
Oh come on! The thing is like a Japanese Eiffel Tower. Why would they destroy it?

Because they already have a Japanese Eiffel Tower, the Tokyo Tower is a blatant rip off and not as interesting as this Gundam haha!

Typhoon. Sure. Clearly the program developed to give it sentience just needs a few more days to boot up. And then...

ah, the japanese; only they would erect a massive statue of an anime robot, then take it down again for no good reason. it's two very pointless acts rolled into one...
god, i love 'em

I mysread the title as "Tycoon".

Damn buisnessmen and their giant Gundams.

In this time, I must fly to japan and steal it! I will rule the world!

OT: I don't really see a reason they are taking it down.

This is kinda like the Rocky statue that use to be in Philadelphia. As to whether they should take it down or not depends on who's paying for it. If Bandai spent the time and money putting it up on their property, then it should be the company's decision. If the government of Japan is spending the money for maintenance and field testing, then maybe America doesn't need to be Japan's military anymore.

There is no reason why this needs to stop existing.

Why can't they just move it to a Japanese theme park or something?

That robot will be fully operational (Heavy Breathing) within a week and it will set to destroy the world! Just like in Red Alert 3! The Empire of the Rising Sun will destroy us all!

How does a Typhoon PREVENT someting coming apart? Ironic.

The shouldn't take it down.
And it's funny, I was listening to the song "Pruit Igoe and Prophecies" by The Philip Glass Ensemble from the Watchmen, and I got to the part in the article that said that the powers that be obviously don't want it taken down, and just then I looked over at the picture. It was just so damn epic.

You cannot destroy it. It will not allow it.

1: why would they do that?!

2: see 1

3: I'm glad for the "typhoon"

4 see 2

This is a little off topic, but that thing looks so badass while it's lit up at night. (Although it's badass during the day too.)

ChromeAlchemist:
Why in the hell would you take it apart after putting so much effort into putting it up?

Nimbus:

TheNumber1Zero:

To answer everyone's question: they are taking it apart so they can transport it inconspicuously. They can't let other people see them install the actual weapons and ruining their plan for world domination.

randommaster:

ChromeAlchemist:

Nimbus:

TheNumber1Zero:

To answer everyone's question: they are taking it apart so they can transport it inconspicuously. They can't let other people see them install the actual weapons and ruining their plan for world domination.

Makes sense. I'll serve them for a spell, but I will have that Gundam, mark my words.

Mezzamine:
Typhoon. Sure. Clearly the program developed to give it sentience just needs a few more days to boot up. And then...

Your thinking of Mobile Dolls, the RX-78-2 Gundam is a piloted machine. The red section as actually an escape vessel containing the cockpit, the 'Core Fighter' The top half of Gundam is ejected and the Core Fighter thrusts out and it returns to plane mode.

The reason for this was because the original Gundam was Modular, the Corefighter could be used by Guncannon and Guntank as well, even though Amuro rarely used either the true use was recording the pilots data for future GM use (GM is the grunt suit of the federation)

Um...

In other news, one of the other attacks Japan has made is a 'Good Gundam Game for the PS3' And I actually mean good, it's like they fixed everything that was broken in crossfire.

ChromeAlchemist:

randommaster:

ChromeAlchemist:

Nimbus:

TheNumber1Zero:

Makes sense. I'll serve them for a spell, but I will have that Gundam, mark my words.

It would be super ironic if we had a Gundam story play out, but have Japan's role reversed. I with you if there is the possibility for super irony.

Onmi:

Mezzamine:

Your thinking of Mobile Dolls, the RX-78-2 Gundam is a piloted machine. The red section as actually an escape vessel containing the cockpit, the 'Core Fighter' The top half of Gundam is ejected and the Core Fighter thrusts out and it returns to plane mode.

The reason for this was because the original Gundam was Modular, the Corefighter could be used by Guncannon and Guntank as well, even though Amuro rarely used either the true use was recording the pilots data for future GM use (GM is the grunt suit of the federation)

Um...

In other news, one of the other attacks Japan has made is a 'Good Gundam Game for the PS3' And I actually mean good, it's like they fixed everything that was broken in crossfire.

This pleases me. I'm going to hassle my housemate to buy it.

randommaster:

ChromeAlchemist:

randommaster:

ChromeAlchemist:

Nimbus:

TheNumber1Zero:

It would be super ironic if we had a Gundam story play out, but have Japan's role reversed. I with you if there is the possibility for super irony.

When you're with me, there isn't a possibility of any other kind of irony.

ChromeAlchemist:

randommaster:

ChromeAlchemist:

randommaster:

ChromeAlchemist:

Nimbus:

TheNumber1Zero:

When you're with me, there isn't a possibility of any other kind of irony.

I could misspell it and we could have supper irony.

Thank you, God! :)

Just don't go typhooning people to death over it, plz.

ChromeAlchemist:

Onmi:

Mezzamine:

Um...

Just hope it comes out in english, Paranoia dictates that Bandai won't actually give us a Gundam Game if it's good, but check it out here.

Crossfire Wishes it had this Frame rate

Keep in mind the guy playing kinda sucks.

ChromeAlchemist:

So is there a legitimate reason for taking the thing down?

Statue of Liberty be damned...Japan has a GUNDAM!

It doesn't look structurally fit to stand through Japan's annual weather. Better to put it down before it gets thrown across Japan and takes an eye out.

hansari:

ChromeAlchemist:

Bandai only put it up to celebrate the 30th anniversary, the Japanese Gundam probably has a problem with it (Not as much problem as Australia is going to have at the 4oth anniversary where they will want to reinact the colony drop on Sydney)

Want something to unnerve you? Tomino was reported complaining because he wanted a fully functional gundam and not just a statue.

Onmi:

ChromeAlchemist:

Onmi:

Mezzamine:

Um...

Just hope it comes out in english, Paranoia dictates that Bandai won't actually give us a Gundam Game if it's good, but check it out here.

Crossfire Wishes it had this Frame rate

Keep in mind the guy playing kinda sucks.

Pfft, we don't let silly things like language get in our way. I've got like six Japanese games on my Wii, he's got I think 3. Unless it's heavily story driven?

They are probably going to move it around for advertisement.

Onmi:

hansari:

ChromeAlchemist:

Bandai only put it up to celebrate the 30th anniversary, the Japanese Gundam probably has a problem with it (Not as much problem as Australia is going to have at the 4oth anniversary where they will want to reinact the colony drop on Sydney)

Want something to unnerve you? Tomino was reported complaining because he wanted a fully functional gundam and not just a statue.

You meant government, right?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or