Update: Who's Leading the Console War in Europe?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Who's Leading the Console War in Europe?

At GamesCom last month, Sony claimed it had moved 10 million PS3s in Europe days after Microsoft announced it had sold 9 million Xbox 360s. But now, Microsoft's Chris Lewis says that the 360 still maintains a lead of one million units over rival Sony.

I imagine it was quite embarrassing for Microsoft to find that, only days after its proud announcement that it had sold 9 million 360s in the PAL territories, competitor Sony countered with the claim that it had an install base of 10 million in the same region. After all, the 360 has been enjoying the benefits of its year-long head start over the PS3, and has been leading everywhere that isn't Japan - so this was a bit of an "egg on your face" for the Redmond-based software giant.

So really, it's no surprise that the company is looking to set the record straight (to take them at their word - if you're feeling cynical, this could be them just putting some spin on things). Speaking to MCV, Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis said that the disparity was a result of how Sony and Microsoft counted their figures. In fact, said Lewis, the 360 still had a healthy 1m lead over its competitor:

"We count installed base differently to them," he added.

"We count the number of units in the hands of consumers. We are committed to continuing that momentum - not only in places like the UK, France and Germany. Continued growth in all parts of Europe is integral to winning [against PS3] overall."

I guess the implication there is supposed to be that Sony... doesn't count the number of units in the hands of consumers? I suppose they could always be counting the number of consoles shipped to retailers, so the 10m claim would include consoles in homes as well as consoles sitting on store shelves. It's certainly not impossible, and the idea of the PS3 passing the 360 in Europe with so little fanfare does seem unlikely, but...

...well, it's enough to make one wonder, isn't it?

Update: As Joystiq points out, this might not be about counting numbers differently as it is about how both companies count different countries as part of different regions: "SCEE pools its population from Europe, Australiasia and other territories outside of Japan, the rest of Asia and North America. Microsoft EMEA combines figures from Europe, the Middle East and Africa."

That makes a lot more sense, actually.

Why are these guy always casually smiling in those pictures?

They should be wearing war-paint and roaring to the camera.

I have never paid attention to sales figures and I'm not starting now!

We count the number of units in the hands of consumers. We are committed to continuing that momentum - not only in places like the UK, France and Germany. Continued growth in all parts of Europe is integral to winning [against PS3] overall."

Yeah. Amount of units in the hands of consumers. You know, DISCOUNTING Red Ringed 360's.

And meanwhile the Wii is cracking a whip over this guy's head while he's trying to take Sony down a notch.

Oh, the joys of Console politics.

That seems a bit odd.
I hope to see an update on this, and who actually sold more units.
Not that I care either way, but I am curious, especially after these announcements.

Here's how the console war will end for this generation in the eyes of gamers (not the casual idiots)
PS3
PC
Wii

The reason?

360 - Came out first, and has the best games for the lowest console price.
PS3 - Second Best games, overpriced console and were asses to the customer.
PC - Niche market.
Wii - The start of the end of gaming

PC is leading the console war.

Casual Shinji:

That would be way too honest for them...

buy teh haloz:

We count the number of units in the hands of consumers. We are committed to continuing that momentum - not only in places like the UK, France and Germany. Continued growth in all parts of Europe is integral to winning [against PS3] overall."

Yeah. Amount of units in the hands of consumers. You know, DISCOUNTING Red Ringed 360's.

I hope they do discount them, though it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't, it'd certainly make their sales look better.
Also, I know of quite a few people, myself included, who've bought two 360s because their first one died of something that wasn't the red ring of death.

HG131:
Here's how the console war will end for this generation in the eyes of gamers (not the casual idiots)
PS3
PC
Wii

The reason?

PC - Niche market.

you should know by now that fun will always conquer a good game, even if the gamplay is less the Wii will win.(as it is winning now)

after that 360/pc/ps3.

Casual Shinji:

I would much prefer that to this damn creepy pedo-smile.
All these guys make me think of like a creepy touchy uncle who wants you to sit on their laps and wriggle a little...

It's long been established that Sony and Microsoft count their userbases differently, in different regions.

Its pretty obvious that the big N is owning then with console sales in both handheld and home console...........but seriously who the f*ck cares?

2 million PS3s sitting on shelves throughout Europe? Seems possible.

HG131:
PS3
PC
Wii

The reason?

To bad their hardware was garbage and they treated their customers like guinea pigs.

I personally don't care who's leading the console wars. I have a Ps3 and a PC and I'm happy.

CantFaketheFunk:

"We count installed base differently to them," he added.

"We count the number of units in the hands of consumers. We are committed to continuing that momentum - not only in places like the UK, France and Germany. Continued growth in all parts of Europe is integral to winning [against PS3] overall."

wow talk about drinking the corporate kool-aid

so what he's saying is that there are over 2 million PS3's sitting on the shelves in stores and such?

seriously i want to know what he's smoking and where i can get some cause you HAVE to be high and it must be really good to actually think that

i've heard some stupid m$ pr in the past but really that takes the cake

PS3 would have a lot sitting around, with the ps3 slim coming out people would be holding out for it to launch instead. Plus if Sony is counting all their fresh shipments of the PS3 slims that would easily give them the numbers even though nobody has them yet.

PC Gaming is Hardly a niche at all is is a very big player, its just not a visible player because its more vaporous (No one company that you identify as being it, unlike sony, Nintendo and MS) Steam has 20 million accounts, XBox Live has 17 million

AdambotLive:
PC is leading the console war.

No it isn't... it's not a console.

Oh come on who cares...everyone should play what he likes...

It's true. Some companies count number of product shipped as essentially the same as number of product sold to consumer as they get paid whether it's in someones house or sitting in a Game warehouse for example.

It's the old we sell more than you merrigoround. My guess is Microsoft count the warranty replacements for bricked 360's as a unit sold. So one sold, bricked then replaced equates to two in their eyes.

Whilst Sony count all the ones they've shipped as units sold, meaning both brands have sold 'more' consoles.

I wonder the actual factual not marketing spun sales figures are.

HG131:
PC-larger market than Xbox and Playstation Brands combined, but too fragmented to brag about it...
PS3
Wii

Made a little correction there for you...

The PC gaming market is not nearly as large as the console market.

HG131:
PS3
PC
Wii

The reason?

PC - Niche market.

Nah, see this is where your wrong.

It Will be
Ps3
Wii

Reason?
Ps3 - will be on the market for 10+ years, they released 1 year after 360, but each year, they sell the same number of units, as the 360 1 year ago. Thus, in the 10+ year product life cycle the PS3 Will eventually close the gap, by running longer.

360 - Microsoft will probably announce a new xbox next year. Then about a year or 2 later, the new Xbox will be released, and all the 360's will be discontinued. Thus allowing the Ps3 to close theg ap.

Wii - Who cares about this guy? Its soooooo last generation anyways, why are we even putting it in with this generation? What is this a sega genesis? Its already reached market saturation!

I didn't include the PC, because the PC isn't a console. If I did include it on this list, it would be #1. Cause through thick or thin, the PC has remained longer then any of the other consoles. ;)

Cryo84R:
The PC gaming market is not nearly as large as the console market.

TBH thats only true for the english speaking countrys like USA and UK the rest of europe (especially Germany) and most of Asia, PC is really the dominant platform.

Maybe Mr Chris Lewis is making up excuses so Bill Gates doesn't lock him in the naughty cuboard.

Who's leading? Obviously the Wii. Let's not forget that whether MS or Sony beats the other they're still far behind the Wii.

HG131:
PS3
PC
Wii

The reason?

PC - Niche market.

I've got an article for you.

Pendragon9:

HG131:
PS3
PC
Wii

The reason?

To bad their hardware was garbage and they treated their customers like guinea pigs.

I personally don't care who's leading the console wars. I have a Ps3 and a PC and I'm happy.

Exactly my thoughts. I doubt people will look back at the 360 without remembering the RROD.

cleverlymadeup:

Ok, first off: the dollar sign? That isn't a letter.

Also, your constant references to "corporate kool-aid" are starting to sound vaguely trollish. This dude is an employee of the company, probably a PR guy: it's his job to spin the facts in favor of his side. Just like Sony's and Nintendo's PR guys do. It's a universal practice.

The update to the story would seem to suggest that Sony isn't even counting the same way Microsoft is, so there's no real way to determine who is "winning" until the companies release the numbers for specific regions, under specific criteria.

EDIT: Whoops, said the same thing twice by accident. Fixed.

Ooh, it has a lead, who gives a shit (except for the companies)? It doesn't make a console better, it just means that more people buy it. Just because a console is selling less doesn't make it worse, and it's the same no matter who's in the lead

The funniest thing about this is both lose money on every sale.
PS3 and XBOX have bad business models.

PC wins on sales, easily :X Take that Wii! *maniacle laughter*

CantFaketheFunk:
SCEE pools its population from Europe, Australiasia and other...

Wait a minute. Australiasia?! What sort of sinister alliance is this?!!!

hansari:

CantFaketheFunk:
SCEE pools its population from Europe, Australiasia and other...

Wait a minute. Australiasia?! What sort of sinister alliance is this?!!!

Australia/Malaysia

scotth266:

cleverlymadeup:

Ok, first off: the dollar sign? That isn't a letter.

Also, your constant references to "corporate kool-aid" are starting to sound vaguely trollish. This dude is an employee of the company, probably a PR guy: it's his job to spin the facts in favor of his side. Just like Sony's and Nintendo's PR guys do. It's a universal practice.

maybe because that's the saying, why not look up what "drinking the kool-aid" means, it is not trollish and frankly very fitting in this instance, even with the update

as for calling the m$ with the dollar sign it's well deserved since they really care more about their money than the customer, especially when execs recently came out and said the equivalent of "if you wanted a working xbox buy a new one cause they old ones are really messed up"

The update to the story would seem to suggest that Sony isn't even counting the same way Microsoft is, so there's no real way to determine who is "winning" until the companies release the numbers for specific regions, under specific criteria.

EDIT: Whoops, said the same thing twice by accident. Fixed.

still even with the update that's a 2 million discrepancy, which i find kinda hard to swallow. even with taking out Australia, you wouldn't lose all that many especially not enough to cover 2 million. they also aren't saying specially where things are being pooled from cause i do believe asia is covered twice in there

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here