PS3 Enters the Third Dimension

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PS3 Enters the Third Dimension

A software update due sometime next year will add 3D functionality to a number of PS3 games.

Remember back in the day when ex-PlayStation head honcho Ken Kutaragi declared the impossible when he said that the "PS3 concept" is in 4D? I don't think anybody ever figured out what he really meant by that, but if he wanted the PS3 to output games in four-dimensions, well, at least we're making some progress here. Sony confirmed rumors from a couple days ago and revealed some new tech at a trade show recently - a 3D mode for existing PS3 games that, you guessed it, lets you play them in 3D.

Wipeout HD was on display with the 3D rigged up, and Engadget seemed to be particularly enamored with it. I can see 3D working great for quite a few games - God of War 3 in 3D? That'd be particularly gnarly.

The technology will come as part of a firmware update due next year. Which means you get the functionality for free, provided you've got a 200+ Hz TV (any will do apparently, not just a Sony set) and a pair of stereoscopic glasses lying around. And I know you stole those from the movie theater after seeing Up in 3D. Don't try to fool me, thief.

Which games the 3D will support remains something of a question. Engadget reported that all PS3 games would support the technology, which seemed a bit far fetched to me. Joystiq's now got the word from Sony that the company is "conducting a technological investigation" on whether it's possible to get every PS3 game in 3D. The company also remarked that "there is no plan for the market launch of this at this time," so maybe don't count on this hitting in early 2010.

If this is done right, that will be the end of the console war, and possibly the generation.

If it's done wrong...well, look what happened with the Wii.

And I actually stole my glasses from a showing of Chicken Little way back when.

Oh, yeah, God of War in 3D... More like - God of War - Headacke in 3 Minutes.

Because we just sold 'em HDTVs and now need to make them replace 'em again, eh?

HT_Black:
If this is done right, that will be the end of the console war, and possibly the generation.

What? You mean if they screw up they'll become insanely successful and profitable? I really doubt that, 3D doesn't seem like something that'll have much impact in the market because it's really just there for the novelty factor, it doesn't really make things better. A full 3D projection like the holodeck, sure, that could work because it lets you change your point of view easily but just the same image with some added eyestrain? No way.

SKATE2 had a 3D mode but it was only Anaglyphic rather than Polarisation.
How many people are going to have a 2000Hz TV and why does it need to be that high since 3D displays 2 images are they suggesting that each game is going to run 2000FPS (1000 for each eye)
Otherwise this is a worse than NVIDIA's Steroscopic technology since it works with any PC game and only requires a 120Hz Display.
Also this was already a news story on this site

jamesworkshop:
How many people are going to have a 2000Hz TV and why does it need to be that high since 3D displays 2 images are they suggesting that each game is going to run 2000FPS (1000 for each eye)
Otherwise this is a worse than NVIDIA's Steroscopic technology since it works with any PC game and only requires a 120Hz Display.

Not the other news story was a rumor, this is fact.

If they get this working properly my hats off to sony, if not, well... fuck off.

HT_Black:

Errr... no.

While it's neat, there are several factors to take note of. Namely, the need for a new TV, and you also have to wear the glasses. I can't see without wearing my OWN glasses, so I wouldn't be able to do this even if I tried. And even if I could take off my glasses, there's still the matter of the new TV I'd have to get, which costs more money than the console itself.

So while it's cool to have 3D functionality, I don't think that it's going to be a significant boost to PS3 sales. Besides, the console makers rip each other off shamelessly, so we'll see 3D Wii and 360 games being produced shortly.

Onmi:

jamesworkshop:

Not the other news story was a rumor, this is fact.

If they get this working properly my hats off to sony, if not, well... fuck off.

Considering the RSX was made by Nvidia and they have there own steroscopic technology it would not surprise me to find out that Nvidia is helping them with this.

Gunpei Yokoi faked his death and switched sides?

Virtual Boy was only a setback?

The man was great, R.I.P. Gunpei Yokoi-san.

Wait. This may sound dumb but what exactly will this do to the colors? I won't have watch everything in a red/blue color stain will I? And what happens if you break or lose the glasses? Your pretty much fucked.

HT_Black:

What, a controller-waved lightsaber?

so basically an extra 2000$ for 3D :/

"If he wanted the PS3 to output games in four-dimensions, well, at least we're making some progress here."

Time is a dimension so games are already 3D and this will bring us up to 4D. Now we wait for 5D TV; that's the tough one.

If they do 3D properly with the Wand then it could be truly impressive, unfortunatly maybe 1 dev will get the idea and it probably wont make it.

Cool, makes me want a PS3 even more!

This sounds nice but to me it is another gimmick by a game developer.

I stole my 3D glasses from Spy Kids 3 thank you very much.

This seems pretty cool but I'm not sure if it will work.

This seems a bit too gimmicky for me. I don't particularly enjoy movies in 3D and don't believe I will enjoy playing games in those ridiculous glasses any better. I will especially dislike it when the first batch of 3D-only games come out. But I'll give it a shot nonetheless.

If it works it could be really interesting. They should really put some effort in this though, and avoid a 'gimmick' status with the tech.

A 2000+ Hz TV? That won't piss off everyone with the latest and most expensive 100 - 400 HZ TV's you can get now.

Keane Ng:
Remember back in the day when ex-PlayStation head honcho Ken Kutaragi declared the impossible when he said that the "PS3 concept" is in 4D?

Aren't games already in 4D? I mean, they have 3D environments and they of course have the fourth dimension, otherwise nothing in the game would move.

i like the sound that was so fantastic.

The Ab Rocket

Gah, I'm feeling woozy thinking about how bad they are going to over do it.

Keane Ng:
PS3 Enters the Third Dimension provided you've got a 2000+ Hz TV

is this right, 2000?

cause i just brought a 200Hz TV and my mate thought i was jokeing, he didnt think they went that high...so am I safe and its an error or am will i need 10 of these TVS :P

It will be disorientating and head ache inducing if your head is angled slightly, from what i can get from these details. So you would have to be up right and straight in front of the TV if you want it to be optimal and not like that.
This is an assumption that it will be like the IMAX (darling harbor by the way, biggest screen in the southern hemisphere!) that i have been to. As the description here is similar to how that screen's 3d works...

Also didn't Nvidea(?) do something like this already? but aims to not have these set backs...
other than the fact that it costs heaps.

I thought you could download a certain programm for pc, with which you can play games like L4d with 3D glasses.

Ummmm.... Keane, you made a mistake, it's not a 2000Hz HDTV you need, just a 200Hz. I was suspicious because I've never even heard of a TV running faster than 200Hz. So it's not like we'll all need some mythical TV that doesn't exist yet, most of the current high end sets will do just fine.

I'm happy, this was just the excuse I need to buy a 200Hz tv, I better start saving.

HT_Black:

Nobody, but nobody, has done 3D right yet, so I doubt they will on this either. Personally, I just hope they keep it as optional, and don't start making games in 3-d as a default. I find it distracting and useless.

Keane Ng:
*snip*

Okay not really however now that you bring this up all I can think of is

I really hope it doesn't end up like that.

well i think it will be brilliant. But i would need a new TV and i'd have to either wear my contact lenses and the 3-D glasses, or wear 2 pairs of glasses, which would be a bit crap.

Well with the recent advances in 3-D technology it is not surprise some one is trying this. It will most likely be just a gimmick for a while though. A very cool gimmick but but a gimmick non the less, however hopefully once we get used to the idea of 3-D it will just become a step forward. Movies are likely to have a lot more 3-D now too, might be like the advent of colour or might end up like smell-o-vision but only time will tell there.

Considering this is what waggle and motion tech really needs to succeed (give me a reason to dodge!), I was wondering why Nintendo didn't do it. Now hopefully we'll see games that are truely immersive...

If this has anything to do with red/blue 3D then I'm out.

If it's Real-D or similar technology then one more motivation to buy an overprized console, yay!

Games in 3D = awesome.

HT_Black:

So if it succeeds, it will put Sony ahead in sales.

And if it fails...it will put Sony ahead in sales? Cool. By the way, NVIDIA says hi. I don't even have the money for that, so god knows I won't have the money for a PS3, 3D glasses, a 2000+hz T.V. and games.

Voodoomancer:
If this has anything to do with red/blue 3D then I'm out.

If it's Real-D or similar technology then one more motivation to buy an overprized console, yay!

Games in 3D = awesome.

No, stereoscopic glasses are completely different, check them out.

Either way, it's nice to have, but I would probably buy 3D glasses on the PC before I buy them on the PS3.

Why are all the game companies developing their 3D stuff already? I don't think its very cost effective seeing as most of the 2000+ Hz TVs are so expensive.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here