The Week In Review

The Week In Review

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the international edition of the Week in Review... señoras y caballeros, recepción a la edición internacional de la semana en la revisión.

Mechwarrior Vs Attorneys: FIGHT!

IGN has been broadsided by a cease & desist attack from Robotech creator Harmony Gold over a promotional trailer for the recently announced MechWarrior game. Harmony Gold's issue seems to be the use of certain designs "borrowed" from Robotech/Macross when MechWarrior was getting its start as a tabletop wargame back in the early 80s. It's been years since any fan has even seen one of these designs,as the game's creator FASA stopped using them to prevent potentially devastating lawsuits. But here's the thing, the new game is supposed to be set during the Third Succession War, which people more interested in these things than I am inform me is when these particular types of mech roamed the earth. Can a compromise be reached with Harmony Gold, or is the new game finished before it's even begun? (link)

OnLive Goes Kind of Live!

OnLive, the service that - if you believe the hype - may just spell doom for the console giants has entered a state that has certain characteristics of an open beta. Those who applied ahead of time got a free pass in, but according to a post on the OnLive blog, there are a handful of keys left to the beta that are on a first come, first served basis. Of course, by the time you read this, they might all have gone, so you better hurry up.

Go! RUN! THEY'RE COMING! FLEE FOR YOUR LIVES! Sorry about that...flashbacks... (link)

Evil Genius Bashes Video Games

There are two kinds of people that design giant robots: videogame designers and diabolic masterminds. After Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino's comments, it's clear that he's not the former. In Tomino's mind, games are little more than brightly-colored wastes of electricity with no lasting cultural significance. In his defense, he sees a correlation between games and his own industry: "People working on CG have become caught up with how to use these tools, but do not give a thought on creating content that will be relevant 10 years from now," Tomino said. "As long as we remember to ask ourselves the question, I believe that a hint towards the next step can be seen" (link)

Langdell Quits IGDA

Tim Langdell has quit his position on the board of directors of the IGDA, pre-empting his possible expulsion. Langdell has been accused of using his position in the IGDA as a weapon against anyone who dared to use the name "Edge". Langdell issued a statement claiming that he had the best interests of the organization at heart and that his departure was not an admission of wrongdoing. Regardless of what his reasons might be, Langdell's detractors must be pretty pleased right now. (double link!)

Move Over Goofy, We've Got Captain America Now

Finally, probably the biggest news of the week is that the ever-so-wholesome Disney has bought comic-book giant Marvel. We must now prepare ourselves for the announcements that the Jonas Brothers will be joining the Avengers and the Punisher will be getting a new sidekick in the form of Hannah Montana. Of course it also means that Deadpool might be in the next Kingdom Hearts, so it's not all bad... (link)

You know this is pretty useful for someone like me who likes to keep up with the news but is often asleep when it's updated.

In order of relevance

Fuck Harmony Gold, Okay then, He's wrong about Video Games but his criticisims on the industry aren't wrong, Haha! We all know Wolverine will crossover first.

Pfft.

When it comes to Harmony Gold I'd imagine their issue is that they haven't been making much money off their properties for a while. They are after a quick payday without any other way to get it. They had plenty of oppertunities to defend their copyright, and they never used them so as far as I'm concerned Mechwarrior is fine.

Besides as I understand things Harmony Gold owns the rights to Robotech which is actually a combination of several unrelated Japanese works combined into a single work. Something possible because of the same artists.

I really have no bloody idea how they heck they are going to work this one out given the fact that the same images they are defending have been used in places other than Robotech. Macross for example went on to form it's own universe of sequels which have no connection to Robotech at all.

-

As far as Disney goes [shrugs] I personally cannot see how they are going to be able to deal with the 'M' rated properties in a way that will keep the fans happy, unless they wind up putting Marvel under one of their sub companies.

As far as Kingdom Hearts goes, I can't see them using the Marvel characters for that while keeping the franchise's atmosphere what it is now.

-

People are already talking about the problems inherant in Disney and Warner Brothers controlling pretty much all animation/comics between them. I am waiting for the inevitable merger. :)

>>>----Therumancer--->

Mechwarrior Vs Attorneys: FIGHT!

If I don't get to play a Warhammer I'll be very upset.

OnLive Goes Kind of Live!

Eh, so-so. I'd be surprised if it did kill consoles, but I wish them every success in bringing more competition to the table. Competition breeds progression which can only be good.

Evil Genius Bashes Video Games

He may have created one of my favourite anime series of all time, but I'm afraid I (unsurprisingly) have to disagree with him.

Langdell Quits IGDA

Awesome. It's about time. Now hopefully he'll fall into the same category as Sarah Palin as a non-entity who people need to stop paying attention to.

Move Over Goofy, We've Got Captain America Now

Spiderman as a Kingdom Hearts summon please.

If you'd like to find out more about the history of the enmity between FASA and Harmony Gold (and also Playmates), check out

http://www.terrania.us/journal/2009/09/harmony-gold-vs-battletech-second.html

I go into detail drawn from the public legal documents relating to the matter.

I really hope OnLive fails.

This week in review thing is kind of useful. I can't wait for Kingdom Hearts 3: Wolverines revenge. Oh, and screw Langdell, he can go die in a fire.

Harmony Gold can kiss my ass until the finish The Sentinels. I signed the petition.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here