Bangladeshi Paper Confirms Moon Landings as Genuine

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bangladeshi Paper Confirms Moon Landings as Genuine

A Bangladeshi newspaper issued an apology and retraction this week after claiming that the moon landing had been a hoax.

Isn't the Onion great? It's really funny satire and immensely slick presentation, to the point where, if you didn't know it was fake, you'd think it was real. Which is exactly what happened to Bangladeshi paper Daily Manab Zamin, when they published a story based on an Onion article in which Neil Armstong claimed that the moon landing was an elaborate hoax.

Once it was pointed out that the Onion was a satire site, they quickly issued this statement:

"We thought it was true so we printed it without checking... We didn't know the Onion was not a real news site. We've since learned that the fun site runs false and juicy reports based on a historic incident. The Moon landing one was such a story, which received numerous hits on the internet. The truth is that Neil Armstrong never gave such an interview. It was made up. We are sorry for publishing the report without checking the information."

While it's easy to mock the paper for not knowing that the Onion was fictional, you have to give them credit for issuing the retraction.

Source: io9

Oh woah.

...How can you seriously take an online news site called Onion seriously?

LOL tut tut... they need to check their sources a little better.

This kinda shows what a sorry state current news media is in. Everyone has an agenda, and they report facts that they have either not confirmed, or they just publish false or misleading information.
I don't think that the Bangldishy newspaper had an agenda when they published it, but still... FACT CHECKERS PEOPLE!

Hah! Well at least they posted a retraction.

I bet the guys at The Onion are laughing their arses off at this.

Good thing they didn't say it to Buzz Aldrin

Takoto:
Oh woah.

I wonder about that too.

Going on the Onion site right now shows you articles such as "Loser Senior Takes Loser Freshman Under His Wing" right on the front page.

That's hilariously awesome... or awesomely hilarious. I can't decide.

Reminds me of that time a guy tricked this news center into thinking that crash scenes from LOST was actual last minute footage from a real plane crash.

Dumb news people...

Yeah it does take a certain type of publication to issue an apology, so all is well. The Onion is done very well though, I'm not surprised.

This still isn't even close to the Spanish news Monkey Island grog debacle. "I did some research on SCUMM, it seems to be some kind of alcohol delivery service" Oh god, that was classic...

come on, its called "The Onion". Its named after a nasty skin-colored vegetable that smells so bad it makes people cry.

Amazing. Someone took the Onion seriously...and not only realized it, but apologized?

Kudos, indeed.

j0z:
LOL tut tut... they need to check their sources a little better.

This kinda shows what a sorry state current news media is in. Everyone has an agenda, and they report facts that they have either not confirmed, or they just publish false or misleading information.
I don't think that the Bangldishy newspaper had an agenda when they published it, but still... FACT CHECKERS PEOPLE!

The news media has always been like this.

The_root_of_all_evil:

HAHAHAHA, "Eye Of The Tiger" just ran through my mind.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I want to give Buzz a high-five for punching that guy. Maybe it's just my great respect for astronauts and hatred for moon-landing deniers speaking, but that guy had it coming.

On topic, someone took The Onion seriously? Isn't the name kind of a giveaway?

This is almost as bad as prime time news stating Beer Pong passed STDs because some twit put it on a Wikipedia article.

LOL!

That's great. The newspaper should have the editor fired for not checking out the source!

I love the Onion.

Let's not forget these were Bangladeshi news men (and women) who probably had never heard of the Onion before (Is the Onion well known outside of the west?). Good on them for retracting it and admitting there mistake so publicly. They've learned their lesson and can now move on.

A random person:
On topic, someone took The Onion seriously? Isn't the name kind of a giveaway?

notoriouslynx:
come on, its called "The Onion". Its named after a nasty skin-colored vegetable that smells so bad it makes people cry.

Takoto:

Bangladeshi newspaper. They probably translated the title but didn't understand the connotations; besides, it's not like western publishers haven't made the same mistake. All fairness granted, they should've investigated further, but they probably didn't notice the Onion's clever use of tone and language choices to highlight the parody due to translation. Also, the Onion's layout and presentation is almost spot-on for a high-quality commercial news site.

Take that, falsified news! Bangladeshi just put you in your place!

Interesting, this is the same Onion article from the Onion newspaper I picked up this week. How vaguely coincidental. Though perhaps they rushed the story out of excitement of the prospect that, if America was not the first country on the moon and no one else did, perhaps Bangladesh could be first! The correction was a serious blow to the Bangladesh Space Administration's morale, to be sure.

ChromeAlchemist:
Yeah it does take a certain type of publication to issue an apology, so all is well. The Onion is done very well though, I'm not surprised.

This still isn't even close to the Spanish news Monkey Island grog debacle. "I did some research on SCUMM, it seems to be some kind of alcohol delivery service" Oh god, that was classic...

This has happened before in China, but it was even worse because they just lifted the entire article instead of writing anything on their own. If I remember correctly the article was about the U.S. wanting to move Congress because the senators and representatives didn't like the scenery.

deadman91:
Let's not forget these were Bangladeshi news men (and women) who probably had never heard of the Onion before (Is the Onion well known outside of the west?). Good on them for retracting it and admitting there mistake so publicly. They've learned their lesson and can now move on.

BobisOnlyBob:

Bangladeshi newspaper. They probably translated the title but didn't understand the connotations; besides, it's not like western publishers haven't made the same mistake. All fairness granted, they should've investigated further, but they probably didn't notice the Onion's clever use of tone and language choices to highlight the parody due to translation. Also, the Onion's layout and presentation is almost spot-on for a high-quality commercial news site.

It's happened in the U.S. as well. One of my college professors said that when they were working for the postal service one guy came running into the building in a panic because The Onion had run an article saying that the postal service in the U.S. would be discontinued.

If I may, the onion is a lie.

deadman91:
Good on them for retracting it and admitting there mistake so publicly.

Why are we giving a newspaper credit for admitting their mistakes? Newspapers are supposed to provide fact, i.e. news. If they make a mistake, they're obligated to correct it.

We shouldn't give a newspaper credit for doing what they're supposed to do. We should just be outraged if they don't.

Hahahaha

And the Real Lunar Landing conspiracy pulls the wool over the publics eye again.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN PEOPLE! YOUR CHILDHOOD WAS A LIIIEE!

TsunamiWombat:
And the Real Lunar Landing conspiracy pulls the wool over the publics eye again.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN PEOPLE! YOUR CHILDHOOD WAS A LIIIEE!

Dear god. You aren't serious, are you?

I find it hilarious that news agencies across the world have been fooled by blatant satire so many times.

The Onion

Fucking geniuses, they are.

LETS GIVE THREE CHEERS FOR JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY!!!
HIP,HIP, HOORAY! HIP, HIP, HOORAY! HIP, HIP, HOORAY!

The_root_of_all_evil:

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Don't. Fuck. With. Old. People.

The first time I stumbled upon the Onion I was laughing so hard I was in tears. That's probably how they came up with the name.

paragon1:
LETS GIVE THREE CHEERS FOR JOURNALISTIC INTEGRITY!!!
HIP,HIP, HOORAY! HIP, HIP, HOORAY! HIP, HIP, HOORAY!

Hooray!

This Just In

Onion Trolls Bengladesh

that's awesome.

Takoto:
Oh woah.

They tricked me too, the first onion newspaper I saw had the guy from the Soprano's shot dead at a restaurant because a fan wasn't happy with how it ended. It seemed realistic enough at the time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here