Bangladeshi Paper Confirms Moon Landings as Genuine

Pages PREV 1 2

This reminds me of how the NASA lost the origonal flim of the moonlanding. "we taped over it, sorry"

back on topic
its quite a big problem now is news "reporters" claiming something they herd to be "the fact" without checking the sorce out or getting any facts to back it up.

somekindarobot:

TsunamiWombat:
And the Real Lunar Landing conspiracy pulls the wool over the publics eye again.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN PEOPLE! YOUR CHILDHOOD WAS A LIIIEE!

Dear god. You aren't serious, are you?

I think he is speaking of the conspiracy to prove the staged lunar landing is a hoax, and that we actually landed on the moon.

The Onion is still America's finest news source.

Krakyn:

deadman91:
Good on them for retracting it and admitting there mistake so publicly.

Why are we giving a newspaper credit for admitting their mistakes? Newspapers are supposed to provide fact, i.e. news. If they make a mistake, they're obligated to correct it.

We shouldn't give a newspaper credit for doing what they're supposed to do. We should just be outraged if they don't.

We should, but mostly we're not. Lies get published everyday, and they get accepted as fact, and maybe, if the lie is caught there's a retraction on page 59Z for the front page bull they posted two months earlier. Which no-one ever sees...others...well other lies get published and no-one ever apologises...(WMD's in Iraq, I'm looking at you.)...

The Onion is probably shitting bricks with laughter by now.

Overlord2702:
This reminds me of how the NASA lost the origonal flim of the moonlanding. "we taped over it, sorry"

back on topic
its quite a big problem now is news "reporters" claiming something they herd to be "the fact" without checking the sorce out or getting any facts to back it up.

True, they did lose the telemetry tapes from the first moon landing. But not any of the subsequent landings.

And, yeah, this makes me wonder what other "sources" modern journalism uses.

This is what happens when Journalists don't check their sources, you know, like they're supposed to do.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Good thing they didn't say it to Buzz Aldrin

as awesome as that was, to be fair the guy was also harassing Buzz at that point and wouldn't leave him alone.

still doesn't beat how awesome it was tho

somekindarobot:
Bangladesh Space Administration's morale, to be sure.

Bangladesh Administration of Some Aluminium Foil?

Buzz Aldrin punching a guy while a boom operator stares with disinterest

Old or not, the guy is still former military. Any doubts he could hold his own in a fight?

(P.S. They are fake, guys! THAT'S RIGHT.)

The_root_of_all_evil:

HE got to meet Buzz Aldrin, and I didn't? Buzz could beat me unconscious three times in a row if it met I got to meet him. Seriously, he could. Are you reading this, Buzz?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Buzz Aldrin did not step onto the moon. The moon rose up to meet Buzz Aldrin's foot.

Because he's BUZZ FREAKIN' ALDRIN.

More on-topic: I could understand how a foreign press agency could get this confused. After all, one of our news outlets is named after a small member of the Canidae family, so why wouldn't one be named after a vegetable?

The fact that they retracted and apologized is excellent and speaks well for Bangladesh's media, though. There's plenty of newspapers over here in the U.S. who wouldn't have.

nilcypher:
While it's easy to mock the paper for not knowing that the Onion was fictional, you have to give them credit for issuing the retraction.

Which is more than any American newspaper would do, outside of modest corrections.

No, wait. I'm thinking of Fox News, and they don't have a newspaper.

NeutralDrow:
Amazing. Someone took the Onion seriously...and not only realized it, but apologized?

Kudos, indeed.

Yeah, they deserve a hell of a lot of credit for knowing when they fucked up, and even issuing an apology.

I want that newspaper running my government.

Gotta love the Onion!

I have always wondered why they called it the Onion...

The prestigious Bangladeshi Paper got something WRONG?? But it's so well known and admired all across the globe!!!

Reminds me of that episode of South Park where the internet went down for a couple of weeks and CNN reported that they couldn't report any news because there was no internet.

Takoto:
Oh woah.

...How can you seriously take an online news site called Onion seriously?

Onions may be one of the more serious vegetables in Bangladesh.

Wait, wait, wait...

False and juicy news reports? Really?

This isn't the first time people have fallen for the Onion, the worst I saw was when Apple revealed their Macbook Wheel (a laptop with no keyboard but a Ipod style click wheel) and there were people on youtube saying amazing things.

"Oh man when does this come out! I think I might get this!" -Apple fanboy

"I think they might have gone too far..." -Apple..er...enthusiast

"That looks pretty cool" -You get my point

Seriously people fall of the dumbest crap.

At least they admitted they were wrong, unlike some media outlets I can think of.

This just shows that the Onion is really good at their job.

Actually that's pretty funny that someone believed it like that. I love the Onion.

TsunamiWombat:
And the Real Lunar Landing conspiracy pulls the wool over the publics eye again.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN PEOPLE! YOUR CHILDHOOD WAS A LIIIEE!

The Iraqi Space Fleet was the first to the moon!

On topic, I think the fact that the newspaper apologized speaks something about the Bangledeshi media, versus our own here in America.

It's a good thing they apologized. I've been paranoid about the 'moon landing' since '69 >:O

To the tenth power.

LOL... wouldnt be the first time I hear something like this though.

In a foum I frequent, used by fellow students of my university someone provided an april fools article telling about some "strange creature" that appeared in one of the bathrooms. A few people said they saw it and that there was a big fuss... a couple of weeks later it hits the newspapers.

None of the same wording, but oh so funny.

It was supposed to be some sort of mutant rat.

A few people lost their jobs.

nilcypher:

"We thought it was true so we printed it without checking... "

Little known fact. This is exactly how Fox news functions.

The Onion goes so cartoonily over the top, I can't believe they would catch anyone out on that. Maybe some Bangladeshi guys who barely speak English... but that's it.

you gotta love the Onion ha ha ha..

Wizzie:

Takoto:
Oh woah.

...How can you seriously take an online news site called Onion seriously?

Onions may be one of the more serious vegetables in Bangladesh.

This made me laugh heartily. Dunno if it's something in my fizzy drinks, but I thought that line was really amusing.

deadman91:
(Is the Onion well known outside of the west?)

And here I thought every single onion in the world was grown in Vidalia, Georgia...

somekindarobot:
Interesting, this is the same Onion article from the Onion newspaper I picked up this week. How vaguely coincidental. Though perhaps they rushed the story out of excitement of the prospect that, if America was not the first country on the moon and no one else did, perhaps Bangladesh could be first! The correction was a serious blow to the Bangladesh Space Administration's morale, to be sure.

There were (officially) six manned flights to the moon. I don't think I've ever met a moon landing conspiracy theorist who didn't think that at least one of them was genuine.

Ciarog:

somekindarobot:
Interesting, this is the same Onion article from the Onion newspaper I picked up this week. How vaguely coincidental. Though perhaps they rushed the story out of excitement of the prospect that, if America was not the first country on the moon and no one else did, perhaps Bangladesh could be first! The correction was a serious blow to the Bangladesh Space Administration's morale, to be sure.

There were (officially) six manned flights to the moon. I don't think I've ever met a moon landing conspiracy theorist who didn't think that at least one of them was genuine.

You'd be surprised what some conspiracy theorists think.

Seriously I'm still unemployed and idiots like them are making thousands. Where is the justice.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here