Final Fantasy XIII Release Date Confirmed

Final Fantasy XIII Release Date Confirmed

Fasten your unnecessary and gratuitous belts, people: Final Fantasy XIII will be hitting Japan on December 17th, and coming to the West by Spring 2010 - hopefully.

Square-Enix president Yoichi Wada took a break out of his busy Dragon Quest IX schedule to announce at a Final Fantasy XIII event that the latest title in the company's flagship JRPG series would be hitting Japanese PS3s on December 17th. Apparently, Japanese gamers have something to put on their wish lists for the holidays ... or whatever the Japanese equivalent is, anyway.

The game will retail for 8,800 yen, or $95/£58, which means that shelling out the cash for the next installment of pretty boys with improbable hair and improbable swords jumping around improbably might just feel like taking a Meteor to your bank account. There will also be a special FF13 hardware bundle, said Kaz Hirai, though information on pricing (or indeed, anything beyond "there will be a bundle") has yet to be announced. It will also be exclusive to the PS3 in Japan, though will be coming to Microsoft's 360 as well as Sony's machine when it hits in the West.

The big question now, of course, is when will it hit in the West? Previously, the game's producer Yoshinori Kitase had mentioned that the game was on track for Spring 2010, and that seems to still be the case - 1UP reports that Square-Enix intends to bring the game across the Pacific no later than "six to eight months" after its launch in Japan. Which seems a bit more like "spring to summer 2010" to me.

Either way, a release date in the West should be due shortly: "We plan to announce the Western release timing of Final Fantasy XIII in the very near future," said a Squeenix rep to Edge.

CantFaketheFunk:
Either way, a release date in the West should be due shortly: "We plan to announce the Western release timing of Final Fantasy XIII in the very near future," said a rep

Did they say anything about the "graphics being downgraded for 360" rumor?

Glad we now have a timeline on this. I'm gonna go put down my pre-order (because I'm an addict) as soon as they set an actual date and book some time off so I can play this for a week.

hansari:

CantFaketheFunk:
Either way, a release date in the West should be due shortly: "We plan to announce the Western release timing of Final Fantasy XIII in the very near future," said a rep

Did they say anything about the "graphics being downgraded for 360" rumor?

I believe that was rectified when they announced the 360 version will have three discs.

It's going on sale for the equivalent of £58?! I don't know much about the Japanese market, but don't we generally end up paying more than them for games anyway? This is rather worrying...

On the brightside! No delays as of yet.

CantFaketheFunk:
The game will retail for 8,800 yen, or $95/£58,

$95!!! Is this for real?!

I was gonna preorder this and surprise my sis, but come on!!!

CantFaketheFunk:
-snip-
hitting Japanese PS3s on December 17th.

So still nothing about the 360 release date? :|
Oh well, it's only a slight interest I have, not the end of the world.

Blargh. $95 tag leaves a bit of a bitter taste. Holding off on that purchase.

Crimsane:
Blargh. $95 tag leaves a bit of a bitter taste. Holding off on that purchase.

I'm hoping they'll drop it once a release date is given for the West...I mean Square probably thinks its Japanese fans are loyal enough to pay it...

thinking when FFXIII comes out itll be the game that makes me finally buy a next gen console. that and a sly wee bit of assassins creed 2...

I'm pretty sure I've seen games listed for around that while I was in Japan... I'm pretty sure that'll be specific for over there - more so, since the Japanese market is going to be a much bigger target than the Western market.

getting. that. game.

Wha-? Is 8,800 yen the standard price for a new release in Japan? The converted price seems ridiculous (even for an 8 disc 360 release), although I think prices in Japan are quite high generally. If not, then I'll...I'll...blame Activision for making the world a marginally more expensive place for all of us.

*Rages impotently at corporate greed*

I may even have a PS3 by then, so I'm looking forward to this game.

If that game is almost a hundred bucks in the US, I won't buy it. As hooked to the FF franchise as I am, no game is worth that much, ever.

$95, well I missed that! I may need to wait for some used copies to pop up.

Well XII didn't really knock my socks off, and it's not looking like XIII will either. I don't know if I would pay $95 though. At least it's not too long of a wait.

daz_O_O:
I don't know much about the Japanese market, but don't we generally end up paying more than them for games anyway?

Games in Japan usually cost significantly more than in the US.

e.g. Dragon Quest 9 recently went on sale for ¥5980 ($65), and it's only a DS game.

...anyway, only three months to go! Can't wait for this. Don't really care about the high price with a game this huge. Yeah I'm probably a braindead consumer who's begging to be ripped off, but it's FINAL FUCKING FANTASY!

harhol:

daz_O_O:
I don't know much about the Japanese market, but don't we generally end up paying more than them for games anyway?

Games in Japan usually cost significantly more than in the US.

e.g. Dragon Quest 9 recently went on sale for ¥5980 ($65), and it's only a DS game.

...anyway, only three months to go! Can't wait for this. Don't really care about the high price with a game this huge. Yeah I'm probably a braindead consumer who's begging to be ripped off, but it's FINAL FUCKING FANTASY!

Ah OK, that's put my mind at ease, though as a UK citizen I'm still braced for that £50 price tag games seem to be striving towards these days...

Then again I've been the first to roll over and accept it, with The Beatles: Rock Band arriving at my home tomorrow for £150 and Modern Warfare 2 on pre-order...
I have a feeling the next few months (moving out, starting uni) are going to be one hell of an experience for me.

hansari:

CantFaketheFunk:
The game will retail for 8,800 yen, or $95/£58,

$95!!! Is this for real?!

I was gonna preorder this and surprise my sis, but come on!!!

Japan joined our club of expensive games too?
Looks like America is the only one getting them cheap now. When will you join us?

FloodOne:
If that game is almost a hundred bucks in the US, I won't buy it. As hooked to the FF franchise as I am, no game is worth that much, ever.

THIS. That said- I am glad that this game is FINALLY getting a fixed release date sometime soon. There's been delay after delay on this one and I'm glad to see I might be able to see FF13 in my gaming future.

Wow. Seriously. That kind of price tag is really something.
This was a title I was planning on getting new, early on. I'm definitely going to have to wait for a while before I go for that one. I can't afford regular game prices new, let alone that kind of increase.

Oh no... don't tell me other developers are going the same route as Acti-bloody-vision and selling games at a premium price too... if this happens in this generation of consoles, I'm going to start calling for a general strike against all game developers who attempt this. seriously, no way am I going to buy a game for £58!

95 dollars my ass. No game is ever worth that kind of money. I'll just wait for a year or so after the release in Canada and it'll drop down considerably. I just hope that this game comes close to the hype.

Ninety-five dollars?

I'm sorry, but that game had better be one of the best games ever if I'm going to shell out THAT much money for it. I'm hoping that this is just the price for the CE, and that someone misspoke.

Of course, even if it IS $95, I'll wait for the price to drop to at LEAST $70 and check out loads of reviews before making my purchase.

Looks like I'll be waiting until Dec. 18th to fly back to the US for winter break.

And that price is about normal for a PS3 game in Japan. Preordering can get it for about 8000 yen, which is what I'll be doing.

Whoa nelly. This better give me a braingasm for thirty hours straight if it costs that much dinero.

something to waste christmas cash on, hoorah!

This will be awesome.

But if it's going to take that long for an aussie release then I might even import it. Does anyone know if the Japanese version will have an English dialogue option?

Sheesh, if the company could send me a sub version and a PS3 on my birthday...

This is bullshit!!! If it comes in the spring (i'm assuming that is Australia's Autumn (how awesome is the word 'autumn'?) then I won't be able to get it as a gift for 9 months (both my b'day and chriustmas are in Aussie Summer (winter for the yanks))

You people do realize that the game won't be $95 in America, and it's just that price in Japan, right?

Well it's about time.

the hairstyles are not as improbable this time around. it's definitely no FFVII or a Zell from VIII but its atleast managable

traceur_:
Does anyone know if the Japanese version will have an English dialogue option?

Zero chance of that happening, basically.

Simalacrum:
Oh no... don't tell me other developers are going the same route as Acti-bloody-vision and selling games at a premium price too... if this happens in this generation of consoles, I'm going to start calling for a general strike against all game developers who attempt this. seriously, no way am I going to buy a game for £58!

My thoughts exactly.
Looks like £55 quid will be the new typical release price for high profile games over the next year or two until some developer decides to up the price again.

Even with 2 jobs, £55 is hardly pennies for me, its gonna take a lot of saving for me to afford all the games I want in 2009/10.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.