How to Build the Most Intense Big Daddy Costume Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Remember that guy who made those super-impressive replicas of the Portal gun and Little Sister syringe? He decided to step up his game and make a Big Daddy costume, and he's ready to teach you how to make your own, if you've got seven weeks to spare.

Propmaker Harrison Krix does not joke around when it comes to making real-life replicas of famous videogame objects. His Portal gun and Little Sister ADAM syringe were impressive enough, but Krix has really outdone himself this time around with his Big Daddy costume for Dragon*Con 2009, a project which took Krix a cool seven weeks and a whole lot of labor.

Anyway, if you've got the time and materials to spare, Krix has a detailed step-by-step documentation of how the project came together. It started with blueprints, which Krix prepared from the 2K Bioshock artbooks, and then went in steps, from the main body to the helmet dome to the drill arm to the dome cage and then finishing touches.

The main body was built from insulation and expanding foam, stretch fabric, fiberglass resin and more. The dome was actually built from a security camera dome (those ominous looking black half-spheres you see in department store ceilings) with the portholes made with silcone. As for the drill, you've got matteboard, aluminum rod, foam, fiberglass resin and a DeWalt 12V cordless drill to make the thing actually spin. Yes, the drill arm works. What the hell.

All in all, Krix says the thing weighs around 50 or 60 pounds. Without the arms he could manage walking with ease, but with them attached he could only stand in place for about 30 minutes at a time. Walking outside in the Atlanta heat, he says, "bordered on suicide." There's a reason they call it Hotlanta, man.

(Image)

Holy COW!

I would love the drill someone something with that on!
Or just go on a plain rampage and stalk little girls...

Pure, utter, undeniable awesomeness.

That would be a perfect Halloween costume.

Good Gravy...

This guy should receive some kind of award.

O_________O

this is so much win, i dont know words suiting to describe it....

He should've put more frame into the limbs to at least give the illusion that the form underneath was that of a hulking behemoth.

Still, awesome effort.

olee12343:

If that knocked on my door ever, i'd really shite meself.

It looks fantastic!

That would have been so useful for this contest that I made so many Bioshock big daddy jokes about.

http://www.chainleader.com/TalkBack/Comments?talk_back_header_id=6617819&articleid=ca6674817&article_id=6674817

I am both highly amused and immensely terrified at the same time.

I wonder how that guy's gonna top this little wonder...

I totally want one of these things... now how do I steal one of those security camera domes? now that would be the ULTIMATE heist.

Harrison Krix's costume is always better than yours, so don't even try.

Whenever someone slates the gaming community, I just think of masters of their art, and feel secure in my nerdiness.

That would be awesome to greet people trick or treating with.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same dude that made the bulletproof body armor in his garage made this.

Wait, this guy was at Dragoncon? I LIVE NEAR THIS GENIUS!?

olee12343:

Most definetely

Aardvark:
He should've put more frame into the limbs to at least give the illusion that the form underneath was that of a hulking behemoth.

Still, awesome effort.

So true. When I think of Big Daddy, I think of huge motherfucker. The limbs were too wrinkly, and didn't appear to be fully filled.

SharPhoe:
I am both highly amused and immensely terrified at the same time.

I wonder how that guy's gonna top this little wonder...

For all we know, he's probably building a real fucking Gravity Gun or something of equal awesomeness.

JimmyBassatti:

Aardvark:

Still, awesome effort.

So true. When I think of Big Daddy, I think of huge motherfucker. The limbs were too wrinkly, and didn't appear to be fully filled.

Do you know enough Kung Fu to beat... Big Daddy?

Cool as heck.

Keane Ng:

Remember that guy who made those super-impressive replicas of the Portal gun and Little Sister syringe? He decided to step up his game and make a Big Daddy costume, and he's ready to teach you how to make your own, if you've got seven months to spare.

Propmaker Harrison Krix does not joke around when it comes to making real-life replicas of famous videogame objects. His Portal gun and Little Sister ADAM syringe were impressive enough, but Krix has really outdone himself this time around with his Big Daddy costume for Dragon*Con 2009, a project which took Krix a whopping seven months and a whole lot of labor.

Anyway, if you've got the time and materials to spare, Krix has a detailed step-by-step documentation of how the project came together. It started with blueprints, which Krix prepared from the 2K Bioshock artbooks, and then went in steps, from the main body to the helmet dome to the drill arm to the dome cage and then finishing touches.

The main body was built from insulation and expanding foam, stretch fabric, fiberglass resin and more. The dome was actually built from a security camera dome (those ominous looking black half-spheres you see in department store ceilings) with the portholes made with silcone. As for the drill, you've got matteboard, aluminum rod, foam, fiberglass resin and a DeWalt 12V cordless drill to make the thing actually spin. Yes, the drill arm works. What the hell.

All in all, Krix says the thing weighs around 50 or 60 pounds. Without the arms he could manage walking with ease, but with them attached he could only stand in place for about 30 minutes at a time. Walking outside in the Atlanta heat, he says, "bordered on suicide." There's a reason they call it Hotlanta, man.

(Image)

Sounds like a kinky costume, "Whose your daddy?!?"

Holy lords of Kobol and the Cylon God that is amazing!

This guy really goes need an award.

Pretty fucking cool.

Too bad he can't move too well in it but at least he can hang it up and be like "Yeah, I went toe-to-toe with that thing. It wasn't too bad after I pulled that drill out of my arm."

That guy should get a trophy for that. I've never seen that sort of time or detail put into a costume of any kind

BobisOnlyBob:

JimmyBassatti:

Aardvark:

Still, awesome effort.

Yeah, he's one person. All the other Big Daddies fill the suit. I'd rather have seen one that looked like a regular Big Daddy. And, if we decide to go into canon, It couldn't have been Jack, as he does not get to use the drill bit arm. But, then again, he does use a Rosie version (Or so we assume; 2k could have just used a Rosie helmet model you have to collect. We'll never really know.)

WOW! Did you see that? I mean those chairs must have been stacked at least twenty high!

And the bioshock costume was pretty sweet too.

NO JUST KIDDING. I.Want.That.

The only way that costume gets any cooler is if he had a horn or something in there that he could use to bellow while he tromps down the halls of a convention hall.

JRCB:
That would be awesome to greet people trick or treating with.

Agreed. That'll teach the little brats a lesson...

Kids - "Trick or tr..."
You - "BLAAAAAH!" *powers up drill*
Kids - "AAAAAAAAAAHHH"
You - *laughs*

*Thump!,Thump!, Thump!*

"Lets go find an Angel"

That thing is sending shivers down my spine...

That was the first game I bought thinking "I can take this on the hardest difficulty". Turns out the big man in the diving suit who follow little girls around don't like getting shot with pellets by a insane drug addict. Life lesson learned.

Seems a little...awkward...but who I am to nitpick? This thing is awesome on a bun. Made of metal, that happens to stalk protect little girls.

That would be an awesome Halloween costume...

I know what I want to be this Halloween...

This man now has unlimited permission to shout "Whose your daddy?!" and "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" at will.

that is an awesome costume

i've seen a couple really good ones for the Big Daddy, i saw one guy do it with his 5 year old kid dressed up as a Little Sister which was pretty neat

50 to 60 pounds? Hmm, he could probably keep it in relative ease if he constructed a mechanical exoskeleton, although those are a bit complex to program... retractable braces with wheels on the bottom could help if it's the arms making it so heavy. Or a straight up more physically fit wearer (no offense to Mr. Krix).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here