SCEA: PS3 Slim Boosts Hardware Sales 300%

SCEA: PS3 Slim Boosts Hardware Sales 300%

Looks like the redesigned, cheaper PS3 might be just what Sony needed for a second wind in the console war: Sony America has announced that the console has seen a 300% increase in hardware sales since the launch of the Slim.

Earlier this week, we reported that the Slim had been a success in both Japan and the UK, where week-to-week hardware sales had increased by 1500% and 1000%, respectively. Now, it looks like the third piece of the puzzle is falling into place, as Sony Computer Entertainment America has reported a 300% increase in hardware sales, coinciding with a 140% increase in revenue.

It's certainly good news for Sony, which certainly needed a bit of a jolt to get back into the console war, and is now in prime position to steal the show this holiday season despite rival Microsoft's matching price cut for its Xbox 360. While the new price point and shiny new console probably contribute the most to this boost in sales, one can't ignore the fact that Sony's new "It Only Does Everything" ad campaign is effective and actually makes sense - despite what Nigeria might have to say in response.

The numbers feel a bit weird, though. The massive increases in the UK and Japan - while certainly impressive - are a result of demand for the PS3 Fat all but dying out the week before the Slim's launch (not that it stopped the Slim from outperforming the original PS3's launch in Japan, though) and it's strange to imagine that North American consumers would be so out of line with the rest of the world here. Did demand for the original PS3 not fall as sharply? Was the PS3 Slim less of a hot item here? Or is SCEA just counting differently, and not using the uber-low numbers from the week before as the benchmark, but going with some sort of average?

I suppose we won't know - not for a while, anyway. While the NPD numbers for August will be released later today, the report won't include any data about the PS3 Slim, or the new price points for the PS3 and Xbox 360 - we'll have to wait another month before we get anything concrete as far as that's concerned.

Now, this news post has been entirely too positive toward Sony, don't you think? I mean, as a member of the gaming press it is my contractual obligation to bash Sony and the PS3 wherever possible, and I've really been failing at that this time around. So here goes: A 300% increase from 10 systems sold, maybe. Maybe those forty new PS3 owners can watch some LittleBigGearSolid after they play Lair and Ridge Racer, lol!

...okay, good. Contractual obligation fulfilled, now congrats, Sony.

(Via VG247)

Redesigned? Probably not so much. Cheaper? Definitely closer to home. I'm sure the redesign helped, but it's definitely the price drop that drove people to it.

It does everything? Like cure cancer, stops global warming...

Stupid advert aside, well done to Sony. But until Microsoft have had a go at rerleasing a new console, they can't claim second place yet.

Let's see how long these sales last. I predict that is sales will drop off in a month or so then surge again like a rocket in the holiday season. Sales for PS3 and PS3 games will be awesome this year for Christmas. Especially since HDTV prices have been dropping like a rock in water. I want to Best Buy the other day and freaked out. They had a special for a Samsung 42" 1080p with 3 HDMI ports for $699.99. I needs me some cash!!

great news for SCEA and Sony

Hooray

CantFaketheFunk:

Now, this news post has been entirely too positive toward Sony, don't you think? I mean, as a member of the gaming press it is my contractual obligation to bash Sony and the PS3 wherever possible, and I've really been failing at that this time around. So here goes: A 300% increase from 10 systems sold, maybe. Maybe those forty new PS3 owners can watch some LittleBigGearSolid after they play Lair and Ridge Racer, lol!

Is that a joke at how people have been claiming the news team is biased, a slight joke about how PS3 news hasn't been positive until recently, or both?

But yeah, like I said before: wait and see how they do over time.

It will drop eventually. Wait. You'll see. You'll all see.

scotth266:

CantFaketheFunk:

Is that a potshot at how people have been claiming the news team is biased, a slight joke about how PS3 news hasn't been positive until recently, or both?

Yes.

300%? I am beginning to think that people are just making up large percentages to make it look like everyone is getting one... except you.

CantFaketheFunk:

scotth266:

CantFaketheFunk:

Is that a potshot at how people have been claiming the news team is biased, a slight joke about how PS3 news hasn't been positive until recently, or both?

Yes.

Very cryptic. I like the philosophical connotations.

The meaning of life is yes.

EDIT: Potshot was a bad word to use: I just didn't feel like saying joke twice in the same sentence.

A bloke walked out of GAME past me with a brand new boxed PS3 slim under his arm and a smile on his face, and then he dropped it in street and heard me laugh.

That apart, its true I have definatley seen a lot more PS3 slims being sold in my local game stores, and they arent even sold with games!

The price cut alone is what interested two of my friends in purchasing it.

People are sheep. Shine a turd and people will "ooh and ahh" then buy it. Even though last week they didn't want it.

Advert says buy...

I bought one.
Only problem is, will I buy a game for 360 or for PS3? For the non-exclusives...

You guys need to stop pretending that the price cut is the key to all this. I bet you're all installing Devil May Cry 4 right now aren't you...

300%?

Considering it was 999% a few days ago...

These numbers don't seem true.

I'd like the slim just for the simple fact it has buttons, the current PS3 pisses me off, I'll hit the "metal off touch sensitive device" and it'll beep at me and not shut down, so I gotta wait, and wait, then I try again and it just crashes, brilliant.

Though I'll be keeping mine since this is when Sony supported backwards compatibility, so I can remote play PSone games from anywhere with wireless.

sturryz:
300%? I am beginning to think that people are just making up large percentages to make it look like everyone is getting one... except you.

True, but that's because I already have one heh

Joshimodo:
300%?

Considering it was 999% a few days ago...

These numbers don't seem true.

Reading the article helps. Japan was up 1500%, UK up 1000% (or 999% if you're being picky) whereas America is up 300% for hardware sales. Second paragraph. It's all there.

Snotnarok:
I'd like the slim just for the simple fact it has buttons, the current PS3 pisses me off, I'll hit the "metal off touch sensitive device" and it'll beep at me and not shut down, so I gotta wait, and wait, then I try again and it just crashes, brilliant.

Though I'll be keeping mine since this is when Sony supported backwards compatibility, so I can remote play PSone games from anywhere with wireless.

It beeps because it's trying to properly close whatever application, game, movie, OS stuff etc... you're currently in or is running. Just hit the button and let the machine shutdown.

bjj hero:
People are sheep. Shine a turd and people will "ooh and ahh" then buy it. Even though last week they didn't want it.

Advert says buy...

Yep, I said the same thing when the 360 came out.

Excellent news to see.

Though I can expect some whiners to comment here saying "lol it's just a fluke, sony stull sux!!111!!1eleven"

Mornelithe:

Snotnarok:

It beeps because it's trying to properly close whatever application, game, movie, OS stuff etc... you're currently in or is running. Just hit the button and let the machine shutdown

IT doesn't just shut down, it beeps and doesn't shut off, so it's just annoying, with a button it'd be safe!

Snotnarok:

Mornelithe:

Snotnarok:

It beeps because it's trying to properly close whatever application, game, movie, OS stuff etc... you're currently in or is running. Just hit the button and let the machine shutdown

IT doesn't just shut down, it beeps and doesn't shut off, so it's just annoying, with a button it'd be safe!

Strange, mine does that sometimes when I try to power my PS3 off in-game, or a movie etc... I'd post on the Sony forums to see if anyone else has had the same issue, and if anyone can offer any fixes. Personally, I like the touch sensitive button. But, I can understand the desire for tactile response.

Mornelithe:

Snotnarok:

Mornelithe:

Snotnarok:

Strange, mine does that sometimes when I try to power my PS3 off in-game, or a movie etc... I'd post on the Sony forums to see if anyone else has had the same issue, and if anyone can offer any fixes. Personally, I like the touch sensitive button. But, I can understand the desire for tactile response.

It's far from a big issue, but sometimes ya gotta go and you hit the button and the PS3 says "No" so you have to wait for it to figure out how to turn off haha.

The slim looks better designed by far but the lack of backwards compatibility keeps me away.

Hybridwolf:
It does everything? Like cure cancer,

Yes.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/15/ps3-folding-home-launches-this-month/

In all seriousness, a possible reason Linux compatibility was removed from the Slim was because these things were too good for building cheap arrays of computers to crunch numbers for scientist types in universities.

It's a sad choice, but it was hurting the bottom line as every PS3 networked together in an academic computer cluster is a PS3 that isn't having any licensed software/Blu-Ray discs purchased to play on it.

bjj hero:

Advert says buy...

Go back to bridge troll...

bjj hero:

Advert says buy...

Yeah, but now it's cheaper. People aren't sheep, people just like things when they cost less. PS3's are cool - they're even cooler when you cut the price. What more can I say, it's not rocket science.

axia777:

bjj hero:

Advert says buy...

My point is I don't get the whole "slim" thing. It doesn't add to gaming. I felt just as apathetic when the ps2 slim came out and people were trading there old ps2 for a slim one. Theres nothing wrong with the PS3. I just dont see how a change of case makes it more desirable.

I liked it so much, I bought it. Woo me!

300%? That's huge. Well done Sony. Personally, I'm loving the Slim. +1 Fan.

I'm considering to get the PS3 Slim now. 300% is quite a big increase however, well done Sony!

I like the new design and more so the new price....

bjj hero:

axia777:

bjj hero:

Advert says buy...

My point is I don't get the whole "slim" thing. It doesn't add to gaming. I felt just as apathetic when the ps2 slim came out and people were trading there old ps2 for a slim one. Theres nothing wrong with the PS3. I just dont see how a change of case makes it more desirable.

As stated in my previous post, it's less the new design and more the cut down prices that make slim machines more attractive.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.