Californian Still Suing Microsoft Because His Halo 3 Won't Work

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Californian Still Suing Microsoft Because His Halo 3 Won't Work

Microsoft and Bungie are being served up a class action lawsuit courtesy of one Randy Nunez of California, who is alleging that the two companies deceived him into thinking Halo 3 works on the 360. Which it actually does?

When a game doesn't work on your console, most people would maybe write an angry forum post and then take the game back to the retailer from which they purchased said game, but, well, others like to do things bigger than that. Randy Nunez's copy of Halo 3 apparently does not work, so the Californian is filing a class action suit, presumably with a whole lot of other people, against Microsoft and Bungie.

"Defendants knew or had reason to know that Halo 3 was being purchased by consumers for use on an Xbox 360 and that the buyers of Halo 3 were relying on Defendants' skill and judgment to furnish goods suitable for that purpose," the filing reads. "However, Halo 3 does not function with the Xbox 360, and to the contrary, attempted use of Halo 3 consistently causes the Xbox 360 to 'crash,' 'freeze' or 'lock up' while the game is being played."

I played Halo 3 last night. It actually does work on the 360, to my knowledge, and works on literally millions of other 360s out there. It sounds like someone's console is on the fritz or their copy of Halo 3 is just borked, in which case said someone should just get another copy and not waste said someone's time on filing class action lawsuits.

But I don't know. If it's a class action, shouldn't that mean there are a whole lot of other people aside from Nunez who have this problem and are taking action about it? Any lawyers in the audience able to prove that this is more than just one guy being completely ridiculous?

UPDATE: It's come to my attention that this isn't the first time this has happened. Apparently Mr. Nunez already tried this some two years ago with the same claims and what looks like a different filing. Gotta give the guy credit for persistence.

[Via TGDaily]

This has to be a joke. Some dude making a statement about bugs.

welcome to california!
where if you get your feelings hurt your entitled to vast ammounts of money!
where did these lawsuit happy retards come from.
i understand for medical malpractice, vandalism, vehicle accidents, but my game doesnt work? thats bullshit.

Oh god, he needs to get out of my state. Thats ridiculous. I hope he loses, and then his court fees force him and his family to go broke.

I hope this guy gets counter sued for wasting the courts time, it's a game idiot get over it, drive to your store, return it and buy another one.

Microsoft doesn't make the discs it's a disc manufacturing company, so you're suing the wrong people to begin with.

What next? New Yorker sues Ubisoft because he can't do a 4th install?

California, your so dumb
Sue when Halo 3 doesn't run
CALIFORNIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

yes i was just talking to people about frivolous lawsuits like this and how ridiculous it has gotten, i think some steps must be taken to stop this kind of crap, it is a waste of time and money

Here's hoping their legal department curb stomps him.

i just moved to lolifornia myself.

The land of fruits and nuts-- where insanity meets the sea.

Aren't they putting the cd in like, a fridge or something instead? And can't they call the microsoft/bungie service first? Before suing?

thiosk:

Hey, hey, hey. Watch it. We Californians are an insane but proud race.

If this guy wins he's a genius

You know, I've heard a lot of pokes at the intelligence of Californians but this really takes the cake.

This is the type of person whom I would like to strangle to death in their sleep. Big, whiny baby that contributes nothing to life other than causing problems. Fuck him. I hope his 360 doesn't play ANY games after wasting the court's time like this.

Keane Ng:

thiosk:

Can you explain to me why using turn signals is (apparently) a sign of weakness, and why honking at old ladies crossing the street is acceptable?

:)

LA is a strange, foreign land.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... oh geez, some people make me laugh.

But seriously, if this even gets looked at he'll lose in a second and be up to his neck in legal and court fees.

thiosk:

Keane Ng:

thiosk:

Can you explain to me why using turn signals is (apparently) a sign of weakness, and why honking at old ladies crossing the street is acceptable?

:)

LA is a strange, foreign land.

Oh, you live in LA? Oh okay, that's understandable then. Screw LA.

i got a question: how about "unfinished" games? you know, those that need patches or fixes to say, work properly. do you guys think one could sue for that? what if patches were never released?

I'd be outraged at this compulsive suing if it a multinational corporation being sued.
Now it's just funny.

Can we just detonate some TNT on the fault line and turn it into a real life "Escape From LA"? I honestly don't think life would be altered much, if at all.

This man is a sign of three things

1) The court's inability to chuck out a case because it's stupid.
2) The human race's inability to chuck out a case because it's stupid.
3) What allows the "Nanny State" to proliferate, infect and destroy anything it touches.

And people called me mad when I suggested trepanning.

The plaintiff is hereby ordered to pay the courts $1M USD for being a waste of time and space.

the world gets dumber and dumber every generation the prophecy is true (if you dont understand this go out and watch the movie "idoicracy")

Thanks for the update at the end there. I swear I was suffering from some really messed Deja Vu there for a minute. Ya gotta give him credit for being persistent.

Eoin Livingston:
If this guy wins he's a genius

That would be setting a dangerous precedent though...

They should make all people suing another party to sign some sort of "I am not a moron" policy, saying that if they are being a moron, their bank account gets drained. Or something.

Still suing? Still suing!? My god, you think he would have learned the first time...

keros:
i got a question: how about "unfinished" games? you know, those that need patches or fixes to say, work properly. do you guys think one could sue for that? what if patches were never released?

Yes, if you were sold a game that didn't ACTUALLY LOAD on your console/PC as in didn't work at all, you could sue the crap out of the Dev. Even if it was something that needs to get patched to fix it's still defective goods

... Remind me why people can do this, get rejected and then do it again. I thought there was some guidelines that stop it. (or least i think there somethings here that do stop it, like lawyer fees.)

What did happen 2 years ago with the original suit? Did it make it to court? Is this still the same case?

People like this make me sick.

Someone give this dude a spliff, he needs to chill the fuck out, like most of these sue-happy Americans with problems.

It seems my keyboard is about to lose a few of it's keys and my head a few of it's brain cells.
Well, just goes to show. When you can't logically solve your problems, get a lawyer and $100,000 to do it for you.

Phyroxis:
The plaintiff is hereby ordered to pay the courts $1M USD for being a waste of time and space.

Judge: Are there any objections?
Nunez: *Me!* I object!
Judge: Anyone who matters?
Nunez: Me me me me me!
Judge: Anyone at all? No? Okay then. Case dismissed.
Nunez: You asshole!

Am I the only one who hopes this happens?

Part of me is hoping that he lands up on Judge Judy and she yells at him `get another game, just like everyone else`

Hurrah to Judge Judy for not listening to claims of `psycological/emotional` damage and only demanding the facts.

She is a beacon of hope and reason in a petty absurd sue-happy nanny state world of madness.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here