Andrew W.K. Rocks Out With Gundam

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Andrew W.K. Rocks Out With Gundam

Party Hard rocker Andrew W.K. has taken it upon himself to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the genre-defining Mobile Suit Gundam with an album of rock-music covers of classic Gundam music.

It's always kind of fun to find out that people who have achieved actual public success (of a sort) are closet nerds. For example, Vin Diesel loves Dungeons & Dragons. While not as famous as The Diesel, Andrew W.K. is a decent success in his own right - best known for Party Hard - and has recently revealed himself as not only a big fan of Japanese music, but of the Gundam mecha franchise.

This year is the 30th anniversary of the first Mobile Suit Gundam, and the Japanese have celebrated by building giant statues of the titular mech in a bizarre and awesome form of idol worship. But it isn't just the land of the rising sun that's getting in on the fun here: Andrew W.K. is releasing an album of English-language covers of Gundam theme songs.

Now, bear in mind that this is (as far as I can tell) all classic Gundam music, which means it has all the delightful cheese-factor of old-school anime music (come on, we're talking late 70s/early 80s here). So, it does sound a bit dated, and fans of the newer series won't find any Andrew W.K. covers of, say, Daybreak's Bell or Invoke (a shame, too - Daybreak's Bell is my favorite Gundam opening in a long time).

The English-language Fly! Gundam (in the video below) sounds a bit awkward, so we suggest listening to his version of Soldiers of Sorrow instead. Even so, I have to give the guy credit where credit is due, since this is just such a delightfully nerdy thing to do. Plus, he's shown holding a model of the Nu Gundam, which everybody knows is awesome. Except for Keane.

Update: Holy crap, guys. Andrew W.K. also did Gihren Zabi's famous "Sieg Zeon" speech on the CD. And it is epic as hell.

(JapanProbe)

I never figured this guy for a fan of Gundam. Even so, my opinion of him only grows more positive because of this. Godspeed, Mr. W.K.

It's always nice to see a fellow nerd come out into the light.
I actually own his first album too:P

While Gundam is so unbelievably awesome, why do so many people pass it off for childish rubbish? Trust me, watching Gundam at this age, I realise that it's nowhere near child suitable, like the Dragonball series', which I also want to watch again to see in it a new perspective.

This only cements even further the awesomeness of Andrew WK.

Absolutely awesome. I hope I can pick this album up to support him. Gundam rocks and Andrew rocks.

I love the album cover.

His song "Ready to Die" is featured on my mobile music player (phone) for a long time.
Anyway, it's always nice when "cross media" events like this generate some (sorta) mainstream news is a good thing.

At least it's not another "omg, games corrupt young souls!" news event :)

Two of my top ten songs are by him, Ready to Die and Party Hard.
This is fairly cool and I can't wait for his new album.

Wow...........

His translated lyrics are really awkward, kinda disappointing. It would have been funny if he had sung the parts of the songs that are in English in the original in Japanese... ok ok, that's asking too much.

Andrew WK is even more godlike for doing this. I GET WET WITHOUT EVEN TRYIN!!

This is amazing.

Well the original song was one of the major reasons I couldn't get into the original MSG, if this version was in place, I could probably get into it.

CantFaketheFunk:
(a shame, too - Daybreak's Bell is my favorite Gundam opening in a long time).

I'd have to disagree, I find Ash like snowto be a much superior opening.

CantFaketheFunk:

This is amazing.

Oh hell yeah!

SIEG ZEON!

vivaldiscool:

CantFaketheFunk:

CantFaketheFunk:

This is amazing.

Oh hell yeah!

SIEG ZEON!

Let's be fair. The first three 00 OPs were all fantastic.

Listen to the first twenty seconds of "She is Beautiful": it sounds like something out of a Nintendo game.

In fact, there used to be an online beat-em-up side scroller someome made based around Andrew W.K.--it was awesome.

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=70833

CantFaketheFunk:

vivaldiscool:

CantFaketheFunk:

CantFaketheFunk:

This is amazing.

Oh hell yeah!

SIEG ZEON!

Let's be fair. The first three 00 OPs were all fantastic.

You think his Soldiers of Sorrow was Fantastic?Try some Here Comes Char

and The Cross of Sand

... And nobody's uploaded it yet, Give me a second I'm going to do just that.

A famous person loves gundam?awesome!now maybe actual gundam creation shall have a large extra source of funding.

Also if this is intresting to people

Onmi:
Also if this is intresting to people...

I dunno...seems almost fanciful...I would rather see DiCaprio come out openly and say he likes Gundams...

Oh, and I'd prefer Keanu Reeves never come out and say he like Cowboy bebop...

I'm actually more surprised to See Haley Williams mentioned in that list than anything else.
Also, I now cannot get the image of Hulk Hogan intensely watching Pokemon out of my head.

I'm greatly interested in this CD.

hansari:

Onmi:
Also if this is intresting to people...

I dunno...seems almost fanciful...I would rather see DiCaprio come out openly and say he likes Gundams...

Oh, and I'd prefer Keanu Reeves never come out and say he like Cowboy bebop...

Reeves is being considered as the Roll for Spike in the live action Movie.

Rage was had.

SIEG ZEON!

Cool. Good to hear more famous people are rocking out with Gundam.

Now let's hope he doesn't admit his love for it like Reeves admitted his for Cowboy Bebop. (if you get my drift. DX)

Onmi:
[pic]

WOW Will Smith... Never would have guessed that, same with Robin Williams.

SICK0_ZER0:

Onmi:
[pic]

WOW Will Smith... Never would have guessed that, same with Robin Williams.

Will I'll give you but Robin is as open a nerd as you will find. Hell they had an Eva figure in One Hour Photo he got from his own collection, He's said that if the Eva Live Action Movie goes ahead he wants to be behind it in some way.

Trust me the man has made no effort to hide how giant a nerd he is.

Onmi:

I call bullshit. No way Christian Bale and Robin Williams like anime. Proof, or it's all a lie.

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

I call bullshit. No way Christian Bale and Robin Williams like anime. Proof, or it's all a lie.

Robin Williams supplied the Eva unit 05 figurine in One Hour Photograph from his own personal collection, Bale has gone on record in interviews.

Face it.

Onmi:

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

Robin Williams supplied the Eva unit 05 figurine in One Hour Photograph from his own personal collection, Bale has gone on record in interviews.

Face it.

Keanu and Leo don't! -goes off into corner to cry-

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

Face it.

SUCK IT UP! Look Anime is a popular Genre and you all just have to accept that, just because a portion of people become stuck up about where something comes from or are racist Xenophobic enough to not like it because of where it comes from does not mean everyone else is.

And Keanu wants to be SPIKE from Cowboy Bebop in the live action movie and is considered for the roll.

Onmi:

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

Face it.

SUCK IT UP! Look Anime is a popular Genre and you all just have to accept that, just because a portion of people become stuck up about where something comes from or are racist Xenophobic enough to not like it because of where it comes from does not mean everyone else is.

And Keanu wants to be SPIKE from Cowboy Bebop in the live action movie and is considered for the roll.

How am I racist because I think anime is stupid and needs to fuck off back to where it came from?
Also, all credibility was lost when I noticed Hulk Hogan on that. Thank you, and goodnight!

I always liked Andrew W.K. Not necessarily his music, but his personality. This doesn't hurt.

His Website lets you listen to the whole/most of the album with the little player on the bottom.

http://andrewwk.com/

Hit the little right arrow on the bottom, your on the Gundam Rock album. Click the double arrows to the left to cycle from song to song.

Star Children is a personal favorite.

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

Face it.

How am I racist because I think anime is stupid and needs to fuck off back to where it came from?
Also, all credibility was lost when I noticed Hulk Hogan on that. Thank you, and goodnight!

because all your statement is MISSING is Fucking Japs to be full blown racist. you can't HATE an entire medium thats retarded it's like hating all music or hating all television. Inevitably something must be good of it.

And proclaiming that it should 'Go back where it came from' Well that certainly doesn't help you.

I believe this is what we call 'denial' you desperatly want to hold onto something in your fragile mind that says none of these people can like Anime, when in truth more of them like anime than are on the list. These are only the confirmed ones.

Maybe JUST maybe it's not that Anime is stupid, but that you've been blinding yourself.

Onmi:

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

JimmyBassatti:

Onmi:

Face it.

because all your statement is MISSING is Fucking Japs to be full blown racist. you can't HATE an entire medium thats retarded it's like hating all music or hating all television. Inevitably something must be good of it.

And proclaiming that it should 'Go back where it came from' Well that certainly doesn't help you.

I believe this is what we call 'denial' you desperatly want to hold onto something in your fragile mind that says none of these people can like Anime, when in truth more of them like anime than are on the list. These are only the confirmed ones.

Maybe JUST maybe it's not that Anime is stupid, but that you've been blinding yourself.

No, I don't like anime...
I've watched it a few times, and the only one I really got into was One Piece, and even then, that was sub par. I've watched Bleach. I've watched Inyuasha. I've watched Naruto. I hated all of them. From what I saw with those ones, I'll never be able to watch anime. But, I said the same about Apocalypse Lane, and now I love that. Who knows, maybe over a period of time I'll like it. But right now, I just don't like anime.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here