Now Introducing: The Escapist's Top Games!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Now Introducing: The Escapist's Top Games!

Do you ever wrack your brain at night trying to figure out what games the Escapist community is enjoying on Steam, PSN, and Xbox Live?? Well, wrack no longer - just peek at the Escapist's Top Games list!

The Top Games list can be found here, and pulls data automatically from the Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Steam profiles linked in your own user profile - so if you haven't updated your information already, what's taking you so long?

The top ten Xbox 360 games is really nothing surprising, being essentially all the system's top games:

1 Halo 3
2 Call of Duty 4
3 Call of Duty: WaW
4 Batman: Arkham Asylum
5 Gears of War 2
6 Left 4 Dead
7 Fallout 3
8 Rock Band 2
9 GTA IV
10 Mass Effect

Whereas we get some more diversity on Steam (looks like all our Valve fanboys take a break every now and then to play Killing Floor or Audiosurf):

1 Team Fortress 2
2 Left 4 Dead
3 Counter-Strike: Source
4 Garry's Mod
5 Audiosurf
6 Half-Life 2
7 Killing Floor
8 Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
9 Portal
10 Source SDK

But it's the PS3 list that just astounds me. Yeah, you have big titles like LittleBigPlanet and Call of Duty 5, but... Noby Noby Boy? Really? Huh. I guess you guys have some strange tastes, PS3 fans:

1 Call of Duty®: World at War
2 Linger In Shadows™
3 SUPER STARDUST™ HD
4 LittleBigPlanet™
5 GTA IV
6 inFamous
7 NOBY NOBY BOY™
8 Battlefield 1943™
9 PAIN
10 echochrome™

There you have it. Some surprising, some not-so surprising. But it's hard to get accurate data without a sufficiently large sample size, so add your profile data. Right now. I can wait.

Fuck. Steam users need more diversity. That's embarrassing.

a list for the wii would be nice, then again... there isnt that many great things out for it

Wheres Fat Princess and Batman on the Playstation list? Thats really suprising.

And whats Linger in Shadows?

Well, that decides it; I'm definitely getting Dawn of War II for my new computer now... this list reminds me that it's also in Games for Windows Live and can rack up Gamerscore on my Live account.

Thanks for the nifty list! Out of curiosity, how often does it refresh?

-- Steve

So at least half of the PS3 games that are played the most are downloadable. I feel... disappointed at that. Yet at the same time I can't talk since I play a lot of downloadable games on the 360, but I dunno.

Whatever makes it worth it for you though. Now lets all see if we can make Rock Band higher!

Hell yeah Audiosurf.

Is Killing Floor really all that awesome? I have to admit it looked a bit so-so average when I took a peak at it. It being that high though...

Mass Effect is 10th?
Stay where you are, Mr. Funk, I'm coming for you.

I kid though, the Escapist seems to have good taste in games by my reckoning, I just wish my computer was better so I could actually bother getting DoW2.

I sense flames in the distance. This will not end well.

On a side note, do that many people still play Halo 3?

Go gmod! Go gmod! Go gmod!

Surprised its even on there!

Sparrow:
I sense flames in the distance. This will not end well.

Didn't Bungie/Microsoft 'recently' release a statement saying that they get on average 1 million unique users playing Halo 3 every day? Something along those lines as memory serves. Wouldn't surprise me

Anton P. Nym:
Out of curiosity, how often does it refresh?

Should refresh at least once a day.

Pebsy:
a list for the wii would be nice, then again... there isnt that many great things out for it

When Nintendo figures out this new-fangled internet thingie that all the kids are talking about these days, I'd love to add them in :P

Torque669:

The PS3 list is less accurate than the others in terms of finding out *when* games were played, since they don't directly provide any time-related info. I'm still trying to make that more accurate.

Anton P. Nym:
Thanks for the nifty list! Out of curiosity, how often does it refresh?

The lists refresh every few hours, but the bulk of the game profile data only refreshes once a day.

Sparrow:

Yep. Indeed, six months ago the billionth game of Halo 3 online multiplayer got matched up, and the pace hasn't seemed to slacken over time.

-- Steve

LINGER IN SHADOWS!!!??? Wow that's unexpected. I mean it's not really a proper game, more of a strange mind trip that defies explanation.

Not bad. No Wii list is a bit disappointing.

Bah, it only confirms that Steam users loves Valve's games, Xbox players loves popular mainstream stuff, PS3 players varies a bit.

Edit: There! Edited so I wouldn't have any other emails about the PC/steam argument.

Virgil:

Torque669:

The PS3 list is less accurate than the others in terms of finding out *when* games were played, since they don't directly provide any time-related info. I'm still trying to make that more accurate.

Well It is a bit silly for that. But it must have taken some work. And if it refreshes itself. That will be very good. Great idea though. Thumbs up to you *Thumbs up*

Hardly shocked by the XBox360 games but I hadn't even heard of most of the PS3 games. I couldn't believe that Resistance 2 didn't make that list, that game was awesome

Random argument man:
Bah, it only confirms that PC users loves Valve's games

Um, not even that. It just confirms that people using Valve's STEAM service like Valve's games, which makes it even less useful as a guide to PC gaming preferences as an overall platform. However, it is interesting to see which Valve games they're playing so I wouldn't write it off entirely.

-- Steve

Marq:

Too bad that you can't add some non-Steam games to Steam. Aion's GameGuard detects Steam as a rootkit if you try running it through the launcher instead of the NCSoft Launcher.

I wonder if you guys could use this to get better ad rates--you know, to present this kind of info to the people at game companies in charge of buying ad space.

Not that anyone would need to know that BioShock is still in the top 25 for both PC and PS3 to figure out that ad space bought on The Escapist is reaching the audience for gorgeous story-based FPSes exploring a philosophical school of thought...but it sure might help!

Marq:

The Steam list is more diverse than the 360 one.

Wow, with all the Halo bashers on the Escapist, I'm surprised that Halo 3 was the top game. 360 top 10 list is like Generic Mainstream Game Land.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a horrible fanboy ranting center.

I'm surprised that World at War is on the PS3 list, while Modern Warfare isn't.

Cajt:
I'm surprised that World at War is on the PS3 list, while Modern Warfare isn't.

Unfortunately, Sony's site only lists games that the user has unlocked trophies for, so those are the only ones that we can total up in the list. Now that all new games are required to have trophy support, that should stop being an issue.

Random argument man:
Bah, it only confirms that PC users loves Valve's games

To be more accurate, it only confirms that Steam users love valve's games. And as steam is non-optional to play most of the games on the list, that is not suprising.
A more accurate result could be achieved by using X-fire and other in-game networking programs to record what the whole range of PCdom is up to.

Edit: Also, do the steam results Include games not activated through steam? My COD 4 is store bought and I play that enough to put it in the top ten by myself.

When the hell did you implement this?

Achievement Helpers Society is probably responsible for getting Mass Effect there, they've been talking about, and playing, that game non-stop recently.

Can I just ask WTF is falout 3 (pc) doing on the xbox 360 list lol and it's on there twice :S
The PS3 list is a little strange though as well

That's funny. I didn't realize that Dawn of War II was released on XBox Live...it's #18 on your XBox list.

sirdanrhodes:

Today :P

happysock:
Can I just ask WTF is falout 3 (pc) doing on the xbox 360 list lol and it's on there twice

Xbox Live profiles include all Xbox 360 games as well as all Live-enabled Games for Windows games. For some reason they track Fallout 3 as completely different games on Xbox 360 and PC.

Virgil:

sirdanrhodes:

Today :P

happysock:
Can I just ask WTF is falout 3 (pc) doing on the xbox 360 list lol and it's on there twice

Xbox Live profiles include all Xbox 360 games as well as all Live-enabled Games for Windows games. For some reason they track Fallout 3 as completely different games on Xbox 360 and PC.

Thanks for clearing it up, I prefer to think of the reason is people trying to put their PC copies into the xbox

Pebsy:

isn't the wii practically bane here on the escapsit?

I get the feeling that things like crap and such would make at least 3 spots from lack of other answers.don't get me wrong,I own a wii,I just don't see much love for it here,or anywhere for that matter.

Wow, I did not expect to see Linger In Shadows up there, it's brilliant for what it is but it doesn't really seem to have any replay value.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.