"Epic Mickey" to Be Unveiled Next Month?

"Epic Mickey" to Be Unveiled Next Month?

Warren Spector's long-rumored steampunk take on the Disney animated universe may be getting an official unveiling next month, reports gaming mag Game Informer.

Recap machine, go!: Last December, we reported that veteran game designer Warren Spector had been tapped to helm a project known only as "Epic Mickey," a steampunk-style adventure starring Disney's stable of classic animated characters. News dried up until late July, when concept art from the game was leaked onto the 'Net, and was completely awesome.

A few days later, rumors surfaced about the actual game itself, saying it would be a Wii title where players would "paint their way through a level" a la Okami (or the classic Looney Tunes short "Duck Amuck"). The plot of the game would center around older Disney characters angry at Mickey and the rest for stealing the spotlight that was once theirs.

Does that sound awesome to anybody else? No, it's not just me? Good, glad to hear it.

We may be seeing some of these rumors confirmed (or debunked) as early as next month - an image leaked onto GAF from this month's issue of Game Informer shows the phrase "Something EPIC is brewing" next to an inkblot that is almost unmistakably the iconic ears and nose of Disney's flagship mascot. The blurb continues: "Next month Game Informer unleashes a storm of epic proportions with its new design and website relaunch, and the star of the show is someone you just might know..."

True, there's nothing absolutely concrete there, but I would be very surprised if this turned out to not be an "Epic Mickey" reveal. Unless, of course, it's a Disney game made by Epic - Marcus and Dom team up with Mickey and Donald against the villainous Locusts under the command of Pete! I'd totally play that, too. It'd be like Kingdom Hearts, with chainsaws. Hey, wait a second...

Rumors about a cameo from Wolverine are as of yet unsubstantiated.

(via CVG)

So it's not a rumor? Oh sweet action! I liked Okami, as well as Duck Amuck. If it's anything like these two, I'm all for it.

I look forward to this

If they don't have The Sorcerer's Apprentice at least in the soundtrack I will be extremely disappointed. I like the concept of the game though.

Oh please, we know the only rumour that will certainly be confirmed is that The Sorcerer turns out to be Doctor Strange. It's a given.

Anyway, want please. It's a shame that concept art might be rejected, but it's not surprising.

CantFaketheFunk:
Unless, of course, it's a Disney game made by Epic - Marcus and Dom team up with Mickey and Donald against the villainous Locusts under the command of Pete! I'd totally play that, too.

You do the legal legwork, I'll do the concept art. Shall our first Yacht be made out of silver or gold?

I think this will go down in history as the biggest source of Nightmare Feul since Mickey created a tiny army of broom-men.

Of course, that's not a bad thing; it merely increases the level of awesome that this will be.

Am I the only one who looks upon this "project" with smug disdain and aloof suspicion? When I see the phrase "Epic Mickey", I can't say I'm filled with excitement. Maybe it's because I'm old and jaded. But I'd prefer to think it's because I don't see how Mickey Mouse and Steampunk can mix. I'm still kind of amazed they got away with "Anime Mickey", but I guess some people will buy anything that has a chance encounter with Sephiroth buried within.

This sounds awesome!
Can't wait to check it out.

I can't wait for this game. I'm a big Disney fan in general, but the steampunk art looks incredible and also a little frightening. I love the nightmarish look in the shots we've seen and hope the rest of the game will be that awesome.

This sounds like Kingdom Hearts with more grimdark. And Kingdom Hearts is already pretty grim, once you start reading into the story. Shadows that consume people's hearts, then seek out other people to kill and convert into shadows. Without incredible strength or a light-based weapon, you're fucked - it turns from heroic adventure into survival horror. If it wasn't for the boundless optimism of Sora, Donald and Goofy, the whole thing would be dark to the core. Even Mickey is a fairly serious and stern character throughout, not to mention a complete badass.

I wonder how this will turn out.

I love the concept art for it, I can only hope that the upcoming announcement will be very promising.

On a side note while Disney tries to cram new additions to its library of characters into every open space in their theme parks(its a small world is the worst for it) why have they not included some KH references or easter eggs into their rides? I think there's some real potential in it, I mean can anyone say a "Star Tours" style gummi ship ride wouldn't be awesome on a certain level?

Looks pretty cool, I kind of hope marvel characters don't make an appearance and yet I can't shake the feeling that Cyclops would be sweet in this.

that sounds kinda cool

not a big disney fan tho, always liked looney toons more

The only thing that could make this cooler is Donald Duck instead of Mickey Mouse. Because Donald Duck kicks Mickey Mouse's ass, any day of the week.

Well, I'll keep my eyes open for some announcements.

We'll see if anything good comes out of it but Warren Spector should increase the chances, right?

Cool picture. This actually looks really interesting. I'll keep an eye out for any more announcements.

Maybe it will have Marvel characters too. =P

A few days later, rumors surfaced about the actual game itself, saying it would be a Wii title where players would "paint their way through a level" a la Okami (or the classic Looney Tunes short "Duck Amuck"). The plot of the game would center around older Disney characters angry at Mickey and the rest for stealing the spotlight that was once theirs.

Does that sound awesome to anybody else? No, it's not just me? Good, glad to hear it.

You had my interest until that point, now I am just meh.

Meado:
I think this will go down in history as the biggest source of Nightmare Feul since Mickey created a tiny army of broom-men.

Of course, that's not a bad thing; it merely increases the level of awesome that this will be.

If it's Nightmare Fuel Mickey, then it's something I can get behind. If not, then the steampunk may be enough to make it cool.

I honestly want to try this game right now.

All I know is Im stoked that WS hasnt just given up making games. I mean Theif and Deus Ex mark the man as one of the best designers of all time. I was really hoping he hadnt stopped working. Id buy this even if it was a Disney title because I dont think Warren is capable of making a bad game.

Few Questions I have about it:

Is the End Boss Frozen Walt?
Do you get to Hunt Bambi's mother?
HOW DID THESE PEOPLE GET THE RIGHTS TO TURN DISNEY CARTOONS INTO PURE NIGHTMARE WIN?

This sounds like ten flavours of awesome, but we already have an epic Mickey... Anyone remember his role in the Kingdom Hearts stories?

CantFaketheFunk:

Warren Spector's long-rumored steampunk take on the Disney animated universe may be getting an official unveiling next month, reports gaming mag Games Informer.

Games Informer? Is that a new rag? ;)

Also, am I the only one starting to get sick of hearing the term "Steampunk"? Seems that with Bioshock having come out a couple years back (2 years being about the time it takes to make most games), now suddenly every-other game I read about has that word thrown in there because it's the "in" thing. I dunno, maybe it's been abused longer than that I just never noticed until just now.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Also, am I the only one starting to get sick of hearing the term "Steampunk"? Seems that with Bioshock having come out a couple years back (2 years being about the time it takes to make most games), now suddenly every-other game I read about has that word thrown in there because it's the "in" thing. I dunno, maybe it's been abused longer than that I just never noticed until just now.

Same When I picture a "Steampunk" I picture some guy who wears Pipes for Leg warmers and girls who wear metal in their hair

PUNK IS DEAD

Bioshock was Art Deco awesomeness not Steampunk

I'm very much looking forward to this, steampunk fits the Disney universe so well for some reason.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.