Zombies Invade Mushroom Kingdom in Left 4 Dead Mod

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Zombies Invade Mushroom Kingdom in Left 4 Dead Mod

If there was one thing missing from Super Mario 64, it was zombies. Thanks to one Left 4 Dead modder, that's no longer an issue.

Creatively dubbed "Mushroom Massacre," the custom campaign for the PC version of Valve's hit zombie shooter Left 4 Dead features meticulously rendered recreations of the castle from Super Mario 64, only in place of helpful Toadstools, the campaign features shambling hordes of bloodthirsty undead.

Mashups like this have existed since people first started hacking together levels for Doom, but few have the appeal of Mushroom Massacre. Maybe it's my penchant for the sociopsychological ramifications of zombie hordes, or the hilariously dark juxtaposition of Nintendo's cheery world with decomposing, reanimated corpses, but this campaign strikes me as pure genius.

Personally I hope that creator "DoritoClock" uses the success of this work to continue a series of "zombies in inapppropriate games"-themed levels. I'd pay good money to see a swarm of zombies dropped into the whimsical world of Katamari Damacy, or forced to fight for their lives against Virtua Fighter's pugilists.

Honestly, I think Akira could take 'em.

(Via Joystiq)

No thanks, maybe I enjoy serious levels too much but this is just a bit dumb.

Going on your continued mash up idea I would love to see one of Zombies + Pokemon Arena.

God I love mods. This thing looks awesome, want.

Earnest Cavalli:

Honestly, I think Akira could take 'em.

My money says he could get through about thirty or so of them empty handed. Put them in Street Fighter however, and Ken'll have them immolated soon enough.

Agent Larkin:
Going on your continued mash up idea I would love to see one of Zombies + Pokemon Arena.

Madden/Fifa and L4D? Instead of supporters, you've just got waves and waves of rabid horde running at you with murder in their eyes that can only see a potential mudhole on you that needs stomping.

Oh wait...

That's rather neat! I also definitely like the zombies vs. Virtua Fighter concept. There's a whole area of the market there just waiting to be exploited, I think!.

He should do more video game themed levels.

Now if only someone could make custom models to turn all the infected into Dry Bones

I wanna see someone mix L4D and PLants Vs. Zombies. Now that would be a work of genius... or madness.

Heh, this is awesome, especially for retro gamers like me.

Too bad I don't own L4D

Holy shit this is awesome. If only I owned the real copy of the game instead of this terrible 360 version.

Not a mod. Maps can only be mods if the game has no map creation tool.

Now, if this was on the 360, sure. On PC? No, it's just a map/campaign.

Credge:
Not a mod. Maps can only be mods if the game has no map creation tool.

Now, if this was on the 360, sure. On PC? No, it's just a map/campaign.

It's both because he's added his own textures, albeit it's still more on the "map" side of things

Oooooh. I've been trying to hold off buying Left 4 Dead since L4D2 is on the horizon but this...this is tempting me back.

dude thats so cool
i want to play in the death star with some undead

Best...thing...ever.

I'm suprised it's taken this long, but awesome.

Earnest Cavalli:
...only in place of helpful Toadstools...

Only the Princess is Toadstool, and that's her name.

The other guys are just Toads.

OT: That looks pretty cool, but can you jump in paintings?

Amnestic:
Oooooh. I've been trying to hold off buying Left 4 Dead since L4D2 is on the horizon but this...this is tempting me back.

I'm pretty sure all maps/mods made for L4D are compatible with L4D2, so you may as well wait that little bit longer now.

Of course as a 360 gamer this doesn't affect me, just makes me sad that none of my friends have anything resembling a gaming PC - I don't like online gaming alone =(. This looks so awesome too!

This is now my masturbation picture...

If it's the whole entire castle, basement and second floor and all, then I'm sold. :D

This may be the best abuse of Super Mario 64 since I saw someone in one of my classes mod an emulator of the game to make it look like the castle was a log cabin and Mario was Abraham Lincoln.

lol, I was expecting evil goombas and mushrooms too, not the usual zombies with half rotted bodies. Looks lovely.
If there were only some random appearance of Mario jumping around...

I think someone has to much time on their hands, but I'd play it.

I have the 360 version.

*sigh*

This is what modders do when they don't have any original ideas.

SharPhoe:
I wanna see someone mix L4D and PLants Vs. Zombies. Now that would be a work of genius... or madness.

...or a 300 reference.

Is it the entire castle? If so, that's pretty cool. I wonder where the end is.

Arassar:

Originality is over rated, and almost entirely impossible these days.

SMB3 Airships anyone?

Oh man. If I had this game I'd be all over this mod. Here's hoping that DoritoClock (wonder if he's one of the clocks from Newgrounds) has a long and bright future in level designing.

L4D map of Team Fortress 2's Dustbowl and 2Fort

The End

LtFerret:
SMB3 Airships anyone?

"Thank you for saving us! But your health is in another painting!"

Airships would be dope. I'm just trying to picture one of them jumping up, and breaking a brick box open, and out comes a zombie

Ridonculous_Ninja:

Earnest Cavalli:
...only in place of helpful Toadstools...

Only the Princess is Toadstool, and that's her name.

The other guys are just Toads.

OT: That looks pretty cool, but can you jump in paintings?

She hasn't been princess toadstool for something like 10+ years. She is Princess Peach, which I personally think is an innuendo to certain parts of...anyways back to forum scanning.

Amnestic:

Arassar:

Originality is over rated, and almost entirely impossible these days.

Seven Billion People in Constant rotation each having easily a million thoughts over the course of their lives (albeit many of the thoughts just being previous thoughts rethought but I digress). So you have millions of billions of thoughts with each complete generation of people.

I'd figure you are right about it being highly unlikely or impossible.

Francis: Nice of Zoey to invite us over for a picnic, eh, Louis?

Louis: I hope she brought lotsa pills!

F: Louis, look! It's from the AI Director. 'Dear Pesky Survivors, the zombies and I have taken over the Mushroom Kingdom. Zoey is now a permanent guest at one of my seven mods. I dare you to find her if you can.' We gotta find Zoey!

L: And you gotta help us!

F: If you need instructions on how to get through the mods, check out the enclosed link to Gamefaqs.com.

somekindarobot:

F: Louis, look! It's from the AI Director. 'Dear Pesky Survivors, the zombies and I have taken over the Mushroom Kingdom. Zoey is now a permanent guest at one of my seven mods. I dare you to find her if you can.' We gotta find Zoey!

F: If you need instructions on how to get through the mods, check out the enclosed link to Gamefaqs.com.

I LOL'd. Very nice.

Did anyone else get a "file not found" when trying to download this mod?

somekindarobot:

Ha! That's a good one Robot. Do a whole mod based on each stage in that game.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.