Left 4 Dead 2 Refused Classification in Australia

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I get the sense that the OFLC is actually composed of the most hardcore gamers in Australia, and when they find a really good game, they just keep it to themselves. "Left 4 Dead 2 is so totally Bad Ass. As a result, no one will be allowed to play it. Now, if you'll excuse us, New Orleans won't save itself."

Goddamn the Australian Government

That's why I vote liberal

Is it just me or does the government hate technology....the internet filter, no 18+ rating

The ONE game i was looking forward to I can't get

They are undead motherfucking zombies not people as in manhunt

/endrant

fix-the-spade:
This is great news (provided you are not an Aussie)!

Actually, it isn't. Australia's government might give politicians in other countries similar ideas. Hell, Hillary Clinton was almost the President of the USA, and she was one of the most vocal critics of videogame violence.

All it takes is one gigantic, misinformed push on the part of politicians, and BAM: you have a system like Australia's.

Woem:

The Blue Mongoose:
Our classification system is rooted...

I'm curious: is the Fallour 3 Point Lookout DLC allowed? You know, the one with the axe. Or does this law not apply to downloadable content?

Probably not. The censorship is about as consistant as a schizophrenic monkey with ADD.

DRADIS C0ntact:
Someone enlighten me because I'm not sure exactly how this works...but all of Valve's games are tied directly into Steam. Which means, if you live in Australia, and you have access to Steam...could you not still buy it and download it through Steam?

Or has it been banned from Steam as well in Australia?

Valve will comply with the local laws in pretty much every case. Which means they supposedly will not allow the sale of banned games to Australia or any other country through Steam either. It's possible to fool the system into thinking that you are somewhere else, but I don't know the details about that.

Personally, I'm waiting for the publishing industry to decide that Australia and a few other countries are just too much trouble to build for. If they stopped selling games there altogether, I imagine that the backlash would change things a little faster. Worst comes to worst, let us remember that Atkinson can neither stay in office forever, nor live forever. He will be gone long before the games industry is.

If you are not in the Steam listing for purchase...

tough titties

It's games results like this that make piracy so rampant here in Oz.

And here we arrive at the single positive aspect of living under a crappy post-Soviet regime. No-one cares to censor something here or hunt down the pirates,because they're too busy with bitchslapping each other and collecting bribes.

might not be able to use steam to download it if your steam account shows you live in Australia. im sure valve is thinking of some way tog et it to you tho. probly going to be a changed version of the game tho :(

I really do feel sorry for australia when crap like this keeps coming up, and i really hope that micheal and stephen get the boot really quick for your sake

That sucks

Malygris:
Since the country has no gamers over the age of 18 anyway, the board decided that there was no point in allowing its sale.

What about Yahtzee?

oppp7:

Malygris:
Since the country has no gamers over the age of 18 anyway, the board decided that there was no point in allowing its sale.

What about Yahtzee?

He's actually a twelve year old using a voice modulator and pictures he stole off the internet to craft his persona.

Fact.*

*Not really a fact.

scotth266:

fix-the-spade:

Actually, it isn't. Australia's government might give politicians in other countries similar ideas. Hell, Hillary Clinton was almost the President of the USA, and she was one of the most vocal critics of videogame violence.

All it takes is one gigantic, misinformed push on the part of politicians, and BAM: you have a system like Australia's.

They have tried similar things numerous times here. The Supreme Court has made it clear that our Bill of Rights will not allow that.

Zenode:
Goddamn the Australian Government

That's why I vote liberal

Is it just me or does the government hate technology....the internet filter, no 18+ rating

The ONE game i was looking forward to I can't get

They are undead motherfucking zombies not people as in manhunt

/endrant

For those of you talking about conservatives, please note that with a few exceptions like Jack Thompson, most vocal game violence critics are LIBERALS, not conservatives. Liberals are just as dangerous to free speech as any conservative. Don't trust them either.

Why can't Australia just pull their thumb out of their ass and admit that there are people older than 15 years old that like to play video games.

It is one thing to deny certain games to children, but to deny them to responsible adults who finally have their own income and are talking control of their lives... that is such bullshit.

Also, age rating should be for sale only. I stand by parents' rights that it is their decision whether their child is mature and responsible enough to play a violent video game or see a violent movie. And parents should not be victimised for their decisions as busy-body social workers would be so quick to exploit.

kawligia:

scotth266:

fix-the-spade:

They have tried similar things numerous times here. The Supreme Court has made it clear that our Bill of Rights will not allow that.

Also, for those of you talking about conservatives, please note that with a few exceptions like Jack Thompson, most vocal game violence critics are LIBERALS, not conservatives.

The current Supreme Court does not allow it. But what about the future? What happens when the old justices need to be replaced, and there's a President in power that doesn't like videogames?

So yeah, if we're not careful, we could easily end up with a system like Australia's.

(It's not gonna happen under Obama though, considering he marketed himself in a game devoted to breaking driving laws.)

scotth266:

Except that it would involve alienating tens of millions of potential voters, whilst polititians frequently bring up the idea to win votes, they all know that it would be an exceptionally bad idea to follow it up. It's certainly one of the things that ruined Hillary's chances at the last election (some of the Democrat's most solid voters are young working-middle class people, there's something else young working-middle class people like a lot too, no not beer).
It's also worth remembering that there aren't any big Aussie publishers, I can't see Europe or the US passing these kinds of rules when it would mean damaging Codemasters, Ubisoft, Activision and EA's business, or worse, having them upsticks to somewhere without said rules.

Gaming's under represented in Australia, there isn't really anyone loud enough to defend their cause so the noisy reactionists gain sway. Serves 'em right for all the good weather they get...

scotth266:

The current Supreme Court does not allow it. But what about the future? What happens when the old justices need to be replaced, and there's a President in power that doesn't like videogames?

So yeah, if we're not careful, we could easily end up with a system like Australia's.

(It's not gonna happen under Obama though, considering he marketed himself in a game devoted to breaking driving laws.)

The Supreme Court operates under precedent. Unless there has been a drastic change in circumstances, they will uphold the prior rulings of prior courts. They are EXTREMELY hesitant to reverse their own past rulings because it makes them unreliable and untrustworthy. The court has no enforcement power of its own so the other branches have to do it for them. If they were not respected, reliable, and trustworthy, then nobody would obey them.

The freedom of speech is the most sacred part of the Bill of Rights and it has been STRICTLY upheld over the course of thousands of cases and hundreds of years. That's true even though there have been many justices who lean strongly to the left and others strongly to the right.

They aren't going to abandon that anytime in the foreseeable future. If they did, the backlash could be HUGE, possibly even leading to civil war once it spread to other areas than just video games (and it eventually would because once government gets power, it WILL use it). We take this stuff seriously here.

This kind of violence is apparently considered "high impact" in Australia and therefore completely unsuitable for gamers under the age of 18. Since the country has no gamers over the age of 18 anyway, the board decided that there was no point in allowing its sale.

I presume that once anyone turns 18, they get the shit out of that backward-ass country.

The Shade:
I'd like to extend my sincerest sympathies to our Australian friends, and I hope that they can get through this difficult time. I just want you to know, we're all rooting for you. playing the game not caring

That's better.

fix-the-spade:
Snip.

kawligia:
Snip.

Prohibition, though temporary, did exist at one point in time. Because our law code is reformable (precedents can, and have been overruled in favor of new interpretations of the law), we have to be careful about who is in the position of reforming it.

Granted, it's extremely difficult to see a videogame prohibition happening due to the factors you two have listed: but the scare-mongering on both sides of the political fence has led to a good portion of the population considering videogames to be a bad influence on people in general. Hopefully that will change with our generation, but I'm going to keep a wary eye out until the public perception of gaming changes.

scotth266:

fix-the-spade:
Snip.

kawligia:
Snip.

Prohibition, though temporary, did exist at one point in time. Because our law code is reformable (precedents can, and have been overruled in favor of new interpretations of the law), we have to be careful about who is in the position of reforming it.

Granted, it's extremely difficult to see a videogame prohibition happening due to the factors you two have listed: but the scare-mongering on both sides of the political fence has led to a good portion of the population considering videogames to be a bad influence on people in general. Hopefully that will change with our generation, but I'm going to keep a wary eye out until the public perception of gaming changes.

Well, drinking alcohol is not speech or expression and there was no precedent in place at the time that preserved a right to drink alcohol...unfortunately.

BUT, you are right. Anything is possible and we DO have to be very careful about who we put in power. It's possible that a lot of justices who don't care about precedent could be appointed and destroy everything. (Another reason I don't like Obama: his recent appointment to the court, but that's another thread.) And even if the court DID strike down a video game ban, it might take years to get it done. I don't want to wait 2 or 3 years to play L4D2. :P

Ah damn how will yahtzee review it?

I wonder if Aussies can register imported versions of L4D2 on steam.

Man, that sucks. I'd hate to have to wait EVEN LONGER for a game.

Someone at Shacknews said this:

"Damn, Valve is going to go bankrupt flying over the entire country of Australia to visit their offices."
-Kodt

Ok.... FUCK IT.. right here and right now i'm starting the bloodroad, inspired bu the underground railroad movement in the 19 century US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_Railroad!

Well risk our safety and csh to smuggle refused classification games into australia!Our aussie brothers deserve all the blood and guts we darn westerners get ! ARE YOU WITH ME?!

Just joking, though i wish i wouldn't..... really sorry for ya matees...

Way to suck at life AU!!! I am sorry to all Aussies... You guys are really getting the short end of the stick.... Maybe someone should start an online petition to prove how many 18 and older gamers there really are.

The Blue Mongoose:

Probably not. The censorship is about as consistant as a schizophrenic monkey with ADD.

Amazing word picture!!! And I totally agree...

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.....

why is australlia so overly strict on game classifications?

I feel for all Australian people. I also just learned that the Australian government runs brothels. What the hell is thát? L4D2? Nooooo, that's un-moral! But we wíll supply you with whores! That logic is just horrible. Is it thát hard to just make an 18+ label? Réally?

Well, look at at like this: if they keep going on like this, they'll just get voted out of power.

Malygris:

There is one bit of good news in all this, however: The Classification Board just wrote possibly the best review for L4D2 that Valve could ever hope for. Decapitations and limb dismemberment? Locational damage and spilling intestines? I am so there.

But I do second this, I want that game right now.

So why haven't Australian gamers booted Michael Atkinson yet? Can't they initiate a recall or some such thing?

They should just turn the infected into teletubbies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SoIp5x4hg and turn the blood into glitter and rainbows.

Malygris:

I said that yesterday in IRC. Apparently, when Australian gamer turn 18, we just wither away and die... Damn it, I've been dead for almost a year... Oh well, you can't use your melee weapons on me!

What gripes me about the whole situation is that they specifically say that the game isn't suitable for people under the age of 18. They don't take into account that the people 18+, actually... um, what's the word... oh yeah, VOTE. These small-minded backwards politicians, trying to make everything in the country PG forget that the people who want an appropriate rating for games that includes an R18+ rating can vote them out of office in favour of better people. If they just gave us the rating, they'd have a lot more job security.

Instead of banning what could be a huge retail opportunity and boost the economy (oh yeah, I've really thought this out), they saying to us, "Well, gamers are a bunch of immature idiots." It doesn't seem fair, does it?

In the famous words of my best friend: Fuck I hate this country...

Fuck censorship.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or