Ex-Halo Director Calls Master Chief a Victim

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ex-Halo Director Calls Master Chief a Victim

Neill Blomkamp, director of the acclaimed District 9, may no longer be involved with the scrapped Halo movie, but he still loves the Master Chief - to Blomkamp, he's "a victim of this military-industrial complex."

Back in July, we learned that Peter Jackson's Halo movie project had fallen through, and the Lord of the Rings filmmaker - along with director Neill Blomkamp - had moved on to focus on District 9. Halo fanboys worldwide bemoaned the loss, though others wondered if perhaps we hadn't lucked out after all.

Speaking with Rotten Tomatoes about District 9 and whether or not he'd go back to a Halo project in the future (such as the one allegedly being worked on by Steven Spielberg), Blomkamp said that it was unlikely, but he was still fascinated by the game's setting and its characters - particularly the Master Chief.

But the flip side is that the reason I wanted to do Halo in the first place, and the reason I was so energised to do Halo, is that creatively I love it. I totally love the universe of Halo on every level. Not only is it this epic space saga but Master Chief is such an awesome character. This guy - whether he knows it or not - is a victim of this military-industrial complex. It's a totally compelling world to be involved in. So on a creative level I'd love to go back there, but I probably would say no.

The difference between the humans-and-aliens dynamic in District 9 and that in Halo, said Blomkamp, is that one is just our modern-day society, while one is our society hundreds of years in the future. "Most of the work we were doing on Halo - I mean we were designing the Covenant and all of the aliens but predominantly the thing that interested me was the human side of it, which District 9 has none of. The humans are just humans here," he elaborated. "In Halo, it's many hundreds of years in the future with a totally different society - that's really what I was getting into. And the technology and the Pillar Of Autumn and Reach - all that stuff."

A victim of the military-industrial complex, eh? Well... yeah, okay, reading the backstory and the books, I guess one could make that argument. And here I thought he was just some guy in power armor who shot aliens in the face.

(Via MTV Multiplayer)

Oh, poor superhuman masterchief, who picks bullets out of his teeth with a crowbar.
and he never gets a second chance, what with all those respawns.
Of course he's a victim. it's always bad to be the equivalent of a [diety] on the battlefield.

I would love to see a halo movie

I really need to read the books because they seem really interesting

BTW the Arbiter is so sexy

Greyfox105:
Oh, poor superhuman masterchief, who picks bullets out of his teeth with a crowbar.
Of course he's a victim.

In the film I seriously doubt re-spawns are likely... If you look at the story of Halo he is indeed a victim.

When discussing a games story it's best to forget game-play mechanics.

Greyfox105:
Of course he's a victim. it's always bad to be the equivalent of a [diety] on the battlefield.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the manual of the first Halo game already tells us part of the reason he's a victim.
As a child the government kidnaps him, replaces him with a clone so his family won't know he's gone and then train him to be a super soldier. Most other people died of the training and he's pretty much the only one in decent enough shape to go put in a piece of armor and fight so they push him into the battlefield.
He never really gets a choice in the matter.

I'm not a big Halo fan, but I liked the idea that Master Chief isn't the legendary destined one who gets every good thing thrown at him like a lot of other gaming characters are.

It disappoints me that I won't see Blomkamp get his hands on that film, it sounded like he could have made something great.

...But I'll be damned if the trade off wasn't worth it.

Machines Are Us:

Greyfox105:
Of course he's a victim.

In the film I seriously doubt re-spawns are likely... If you look at the story of Halo he is indeed a victim.

wait, this is about the movie only? I thought it was about him being a victim, while on the side being about the movie. with him as a victim. I've confused myself.

damn, this isn't my day.
I shouldn't of made that deal last night...

Greyfox105:

In the story, there are no respawns. You're thinking of the multiplayer based on the story.

I can definitely see Blomkamp's view. This is a guy who was kidnapped as a young child to be raised as a super-soldier, who will never know his family, and who has been forced into a life of constant combat. It's hard to not see him as a victim, really.

Greyfox105:

Machines Are Us:

Greyfox105:
Of course he's a victim.

wait, this is about the movie only? I thought it was about him being a victim, while on the side being about the movie. with him as a victim. I've confused myself.

damn, this isn't my day.
I shouldn't of made that deal last night...

He is a victim in Halo's story in general.

What I was saying is that you can't use game-play mechanics when judging a character in relation to the story.

I thought the reason most people like Master Chief was because he had no depth or emotion.

"It's an awesome robot dude with a huge gun! YEEEAAH!"

AboveUp:

Greyfox105:

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the manual of the first Halo game already tells us part of the reason he's a victim.
As a child the government kidnaps him, replaces him with a clone so his family won't know he's gone and then train him to be a super soldier. Most other people died of the training and he's pretty much the only one in decent enough shape to go put in a piece of armor and fight so they push him into the battlefield.
He never really gets a choice in the matter.

I'm not a big Halo fan, but I liked the idea that Master Chief isn't the legendary destined one who gets every good thing thrown at him like a lot of other gaming characters are.

OOOH!!! but you forgot that cortana chose him because he is "LUCKY"

and that sends all the rational arguments out of the window, a big "F**K U COMON SENSE"

and a stupid reason to point out why he is one of the last (if not the last) spartans, he "surpassed the odds" of his missions because of "luck".

but i liked the character nonetheless, it seems just that they could have said something different than "he survived because he is lucky" in my oppinion... character development would have being so much cooler than that.

also, does anyone can geniunely say they would like to see a "Halo" movie??, i mean, looking at the atrocities they had made based on video games i think it would be the last thing the "Halo" universe need... and another thing, focusing in the "human" society for 1000 years in the future seems soo... normal, i would definetly focus on the "alien" aspect seing that a bunch of races so technologicaly advanced as to create life ends up as a bunch of religious fanatics and nutcases looks more interesting than "look!!, he is from the future!!"

Casual Shinji:
I thought the reason most people like Master Chief was because he had no depth or emotion.

That is a symptom of Bungie's inability to motherfucking write, not the actual character itself.

I've always looked on Master Chief as "Oh look, yet ANOTHER space marine..."
And yeah, he absorbs damage like a sponge (if given the time to hide between a waist-high cover so his shields can regenerate), which is kinda cool I suppose. But still, he's a little bland.

It's such a shame he's been vitcimised as well, because his character is oh so unique...

ChromeAlchemist:
It disappoints me that I won't see Blomkamp get his hands on that film, it sounded like he could have made something great.

...But I'll be damned if the trade off wasn't worth it.

The notion of a Halo movie will never leave until it actually get made. Bungie seriously wants a Halo movie...badly, and they will most likely do whatever they can to make it a success. I just hope it doesn't become a bloated fan wank shit fest like Transformers ended up being.

TsunamiWombat:

Casual Shinji:

That is a symptom of Bungie's inability to motherfucking write, not the actual character itself.

That makes no sense to me.

If a character is purely fictional and the people who created and write about him don't give him any depth, then how can he have depth?

Woodsey:

TsunamiWombat:

Casual Shinji:

That makes no sense to me.

If a character is purely fictional and the people who created and write about him don't give him any depth, then how can he have depth?

He has depth, it wasn't translated well into the games.

The same way Gears of War has quite a deep story but it was poorly written into the game-play itself.

ForgottenPr0digy:

If they made a Halo movie

(this isn't a flame for once)

Unless they ignored Master Chief it would either Involve him killing loads of creatures...
Which would be predictable

Or he would look like he dies
Still predictable

Or he would really die
At which point they would all be shot by Master Cheif fanatics

It's a lose, lose, Megalose situation

Casual Shinji:

He's both a floor wax and a dessert topping.

One of the reasons I grew to be such a fan of Bungie in general is that their games often work on multiple levels. Want a slam-bam actioner? Go ahead and skip the cutscenes; the game's still playable. Want a game with a deep backstory? Take a good, close look at the hidden clues in game and read the supporting media.

The Chief can be an empty vessel, if you want, or a heroic victim of sinister forces, if you want. (A look at the backing fiction shows that maybe us Humans aren't the "good guys" we appear at first glance...) And that's what I love about the series.

-- Steve

wolfy098:

ForgottenPr0digy:

Unless they ignored Master Chief it would either Involve him killing loads of creatures...

Still predictable

Or he would really die

You do know you just destroyed your own argument in your first line? The Blomkamp stated before that MC wouldn't be the central character as he would be too predictable. Instead he'd be "the most important secondary character" which I think could be quite cool. Do it as an ensemble piece, show how the marines react to hordes of aliens and this genetically engineered cyborg death machine.

He's abducted at the age of six and is forced to spend the rest of his life killing things. It's worth noting this is before the Covenant war, so he was trained to kill humans. If that's not a victim of the military-industrial complex, I don't know what is.

It's worth noting all the Spartans are socially retarded; anyone who's in the army from the age of six would be. Hence why Master Chief kills a guy just because a superior officer says they should fight.

No!I want a halo movie! <Round the world fanboys weep>

He's a victim, all right. A victim of poor character development.

All video game characters are poorly developed. Halo and other games just sidestep the issue by avoiding trying to shoehorn character development in to a game that's about shooting aliens.

As far as gripes about him being chosen because he's "lucky" - like others have said, I find that a far more compelling reason than BS about the fulfillment of prophecies, like you see in other games. At least luck (as a post-facto measurement) is something that exists in the real world. I think the luck thing is coming from Larry Niven's stories, anyway. A lot in Halo is inspired by Niven, and one of the characters in his Ringworld series was a woman named Teela Brown, who was the result of aliens either covertly breeding humans over centuries, or just selected statistically (I forget which) to attempt to get a human that was essentially a "lucky rabbits foot" to be included on a dangerous mission. The irony of that choice was that events that happened to be fortunate for Teela were not necessarily those that were fortunate for other crew members.

He's got an interesting backstory, so before people say, "durr, he's a robot W/ a gun."
Why don't you at least look at some of the backstory... He is a victim of military going mad with power

Oh he's a victim alright.

A victim of over-hyped mediocrity.

And an interesting backstory does NOT suffice for a HUGE LACK of DEPTH this character has.
You can write a 500 page epic of what a highschool jock did in his past, but he will still be a jock.

What saddens me about this story is that it's living proof that Blomkamp, had the project not fallen through, actually would have made a good movie. From reading this, it sounds like Blomkamp was ready to take the Halo franchise and turn it into something of his own creation, rather than just cop-out a plain, soulless sci-fi action movie like every other director on the planet.

Yeah, I know it's Halo, and I know it's about a space marine killing aliens, but after seeing what Zack Synder did with the Dawn of the Dead franchise, I can't help but feel that a good video game movie is possible. Blomkamp just showed us that he was ready to take a franchise and make it his own, and after seeing District 9, I really hope he does.

I know it's highly unlikely. Forget Blomkamp and forget Halo; I just want to see a director show the world the correct way to make a video game film adaptation.

Right! He's a victim alright. A victim who can jump two times his own fucking height, fall from space and be perfectly fine, and of course, PUNCH TANKS.

A game is a game.... I guess.
Calling MC a victim is a bit overboard I think.

Machines Are Us:

Greyfox105:
Of course he's a victim.

I think it may just be semi possible he was joking...

No need to take it so seriously.

Anyway, I think this guy is possibly reading too much into a game series but it's possible with the whole masses of backstory shit they did with the books.

Good to see that Blomkamp actually has read the books. Way to many people know nothing of how must story there is in Halo. Too bad he won't be making the movie then :/

StevieWonderMk2:

wolfy098:

ForgottenPr0digy:

Still predictable

Or he would really die

You do know you just destroyed your own argument in your first line? The Blomkamp stated before that MC wouldn't be the central character as he would be too predictable. Instead he'd be "the most important secondary character" which I think could be quite cool. Do it as an ensemble piece, show how the marines react to hordes of aliens and this genetically engineered cyborg death machine.

You know... from the 2nd line onwards I only got MC as Secondary character...
Secondary characters generally back someone else up...
MC does it all himself, so MC 2nd doesn't make sense

hey if they can make films of the quality of the ODST live action short, let them make the damn movie

Umm...I think this guy is giving Halo too much credit. It simply isn't that clever.

I'd certainly like to see his attempt at it though. District 9 was a brilliant film.

In the books he was certainly a victim at first, but since he kept humans from getting annihilated by a Theocratic Covenant of aliens I would say he's less of a victim and more of a savior.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here