Project Natal Support "Likely" for Guitar Hero

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Project Natal Support "Likely" for Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero publisher RedOctane says it is evaluating Microsoft's Project Natal and that it's "likely" the motion-sensing system will be eventually incorporated into the game.

"We've definitely been evaluating Microsoft's Natal technology along with a lot of other different technologies that could enhance the Guitar Hero playing experience," RedOctane President Kai Huang said. "Natal is very interesting because there's so many different things you can do with it, whether it's the motion detecting, maybe sensing how you're playing, or the ability to use it for interactivity purposes and taking advantage of it for party purposes."

It seems like a natural fit. Project Natal could, for instance, allow the inclusion of a whole new layer of hard-rockin' moves: Instead of just pushing colored buttons on a guitar shaped controller, players could score points for pulling off moves like a windmill, a kick or a leap, with double-bonus points awarded for smashing your guitar over the couch at the end of the song.

"I think the technology is very exciting," Kai said. "We're evaluating it, and I think it's likely that sometime in the future we'll have those technologies integrated into our games."

He's not the first one to see the rock 'n' roll potential in Project Natal, however: In August, MTV Games said Harmonix was "looking at" Project Natal, along with other new technologies, for Rock Band 3.

Source: Digital Spy

Wow, playing with plastic guitars just got even more embarrassing than it already was.

wasnt the Guitar Hero and Rock Band series made to eliminate the 'air guitar', and now there brining it back, how interesting...

If your taking this post seriosly then you need to get your humor sence checked.

Wow now you can do real air guitar, instead of being able to vaguely kid yourself that your in a real Rock Band. Well done Microsoft![slow mocking applause]

AboveUp:
Wow, playing with plastic guitars just got even more embarrassing than it already was.

This, plus a lot of laughing. This really is getting a bit silly.

Supreme Unleaded:
wasnt the Guitar Hero and Rock Band series made to eliminate the 'air guitar', and now there brining it back, how interesting...

randomrob:
Wow now you can do real air guitar, instead of being able to vaguely kid yourself that your in a real Rock Band. Well done Microsoft![slow mocking applause]

Why are you all talking about air guitar? They never even mentioned it. There's no indication that they're dropping the controller: they're likely just going to incorporate it into pulling off stunts like Malygris described, as well as using Star Power.

wait... hold on a second though, surely Natal has the potential of making peripherals like Guitar Hero's plastic ukalele's (oh cmon, this is The Escapist, the odd Yahtzee reference should be allowed) obsolete, ala Tony Hawk: Ride? Considering Red Octane makes its money pretty much soley from its peripherals, I would've thought they'd be extremely worried about Natal.

Supreme Unleaded:

They will probably still have the guitar so the Natal can pick it up but you can probably do things with the guitar for bonus points or something.

scotth266:

Supreme Unleaded:

randomrob:

Why are you all talking about air guitar? They never even mentioned it. There's no indication that they're dropping the controller: they're likely just going to incorporate it into pulling off stunts like Malygris described, as well as using Star Power.

Jeez get a sence of humor, i wasnt being serios.

What's with all the Guitar Hero/Rock Band mockery? I mean, honestly, you guys, so what if the guitar is fake and simplified? Just let people have their fun.

Supreme Unleaded:

Jeez get a sence of humor, i wasnt being serios.

Sarcasm is hard to detect through text, and since the guy after you sounded serious, I assumed you were being serious as well.

poncho14:

Supreme Unleaded:

They will probably still have the guitar so the Natal can pick it up but you can probably do things with the guitar for bonus points or something.

great now instead of having a friend wham the whammy bar to complete that challenge ill have to smash the guitar light it on fire.
but on a serious note why not just add another button to the controller would that idea ever work for them or what?

Finally all those times I set my guitar on fire will be worth something!

I do not foresee this going over well.

Gamegodtre:

poncho14:

Supreme Unleaded:

great now instead of having a friend wham the whammy bar to complete that challenge ill have to smash the guitar light it on fire.
but on a serious note why not just add another button to the controller would that idea ever work for them or what?

If your talking about the whammy, I guess they want it to be realistic.

And? These ideas aside from the wii are just cut and paste. Game developers need to come up with NEW ideas. and good ones. I may not be a Xbox fan but i do own one same with ps3 and just like the ps3s motion tech coming out they should just scrap it.

Way to make me never want to play Guitar Hero ever again. This just got a little too silly for me. I really am not looking forward to Natal. I don't play the Wii because I don't want a gimmick with casual games and that's what Natal is looking like. Even hardcore games will have stupid gimmicks.

but it already does incorporate motion-sensing...you know when you tilt the guitar to activate star power...

Hmm, really? Interesting. I wonder how they'd incorporate something like that.

Malygris:

It seems like a natural fit. Project Natal could, for instance, allow the inclusion of a whole new layer of hard-rockin' moves: Instead of just pushing colored buttons on a guitar shaped controller, players could score points for pulling off moves like a windmill, a kick or a leap, with double-bonus points awarded for smashing your guitar over the couch at the end of the song.

This somehow seems appropriate at this juncture

scotth266:

Supreme Unleaded:

randomrob:

The whole point of air guitar is basically to jump around, throw in the odd high kick here and there, and just generally to make a fool of oneself. I think they're referring to the fact that these aspects would (probably) become an integral part of Guitar Hero experience *scoff*.

That or they really do have the wrong end of the stick.

Actually, come to think of it, imagine having motion sensors on your fingers as you press on the fret keys and on your other hand as you play. You could effectively cut out the need to have a plastic guitar, thereby completing the ultimate air guitar experience. I know it would never work, but still...

I won't be using this, but I'm positive if marketed right, this could easily get the next GH off the shelves.

Without it, I don't think the next (numbered) GH will have any legs at all. There are only so many games even the most avid fan can handle.

AWESOME GUYS I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.

;/

Seriously, I bet most players will have trouble when they actually need to move their arm for the non-existent orange button.

Unless by Rock Band 3 he means the Beatles game, where did RB3 come from?

The whole idea seems to just make the whole idea sillier. Natal won't really make a difference to me; I don't think that I'm a rock band when I play the games, I think I'm playing a game, having a good time with a couple of friends. Smashing the guitar on the couch seems a little extreme, and the other ideas just seem to detract from gameplay (explain to me how you can do a windmill without screwing something up).

Go for it, Activision; I won't play your games and Harmonix will probably do it better.

AboveUp:

Now that is true

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other points: How come Avatars are recognized in GH5 but not Home characters?

this will be pretty interesting to see how they deal with it. i think it will be rather hard to do a lot of the motions and such

dragonburner:

Because the idea is stupid. Sony already had their own fill of that when they decided that Home was a good idea.

That "gaining points by doing tricks" better be a joke. I'm not too happy becuase that will throw the leaderboards totally out of whack. I really don't understand how Natal good be applied to Guitar Hero...

With the video I saw of the kid scanning his skateboard with Natal, maybe they'll do the right thing and allow the scanning of a REAL guitar so you can actually use that to play. Now wouldn't that be sweet?!

Fucking ridiculous. Nobody actually plays the game for the 'ultimate air guitar experience'; we know we're holding a plastic guitar, and we know it's a game. And even the plastic guitar is closer to the real band experience than nothing! This is a fucking stupid idea, Microsoft. Fucking stupid.

And that's all I have to say about that. ^_^

Well, anything for Bobby Kotick to jerk himself off with a handful of 100 dollar bills, I guess. I still don't think it's a good idea at all.

AboveUp:

HEY!!! I play plastic drums, get it right. hmph

Edit: I'm confused why are people calling Microsoft stupid (trolling)? This Activision trying to do this, Microsoft is just making the system, not forcing people to use it. As far as I know Act. is not owned by MS, but I could be wrong.

popdafoo:
Way to make me never want to play Guitar Hero ever again. This just got a little too silly for me. I really am not looking forward to Natal. I don't play the Wii because I don't want a gimmick with casual games and that's what Natal is looking like. Even hardcore games will have stupid gimmicks.

Because if you just stood their and played the normal way, you would die.
I play Guitar Hero with a standard controller most of the time. Dont HAVE to do every little thing that put on.

If they do still release it with plastic guitars, I can see 4 guys in a small room swinging them round looking "cool" and racking up one huge medical bill

Aardvark:

dragonburner:

Because the idea is stupid. Sony already had their own fill of that when they decided that Home was a good idea.

Avatars is stupider. And anyway whats the point of not including it

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or