Sony's PSPgo UMD Conversion Plans Come to a Halt

Sony's PSPgo UMD Conversion Plans Come to a Halt

Sony's official plans to allow PSPgo purchasers to convert their UMDs to digital copies are... nothing.

Ever since the announcement that the PSPgo, Sony's second major iteration of its PSP handheld gaming system, would do away with its predecessor's UMD drive and only be able to play digitally-downloaded games, consumers have been wondering if they would be able to convert their UMD libraries into digital copies somehow. Sony has been teasing a super secret plan to allow consumers to do just that for some time now, causing much speculation as to what that solution just might be. And here we are, on the cusp of the PSPgo's North American October 1 release date; a perfect time for Sony to reveal this super secret solution. Unfortunately, there isn't one.

Speaking to Kotaku, a Sony Computer Entertainment of America spokesperson said, "We were evaluating a UMD conversion program, but due to legal and technical reasons we will not be offering the program at this time." The "were" in this statement makes me worry that the company has given up on the idea of UMD conversion. That could explain why Sony is now offering three free games to those who upgrade to the PSPgo, almost as an apology of sorts. However, saying they "will not be offering it at this time," could mean that Sony is still considering something. Without a very sound conversion method, Sony could open up the doors to piracy, so the company definitely has to come up with something good. However, the lack of any method at all will no doubt turn off many consumers, especially in light of earlier promises.

The "gotta-have-anything-new" impulse in me still wants to purchase a PSPgo, but I can't justify paying $249 for a system that offers what I see as less functionality than the $169 PSP-3000, but with an added 16 GB hard drive. Sony itself sells 16 GB MP3 players for $130, so the addition of a hard drive doesn't justify an $80 price hike. Sony believing that it should sell the PSPgo at $249 due to a "premium" has already gotten some retailers miffed, and with the lack of a UMD conversion method as of yet the system is sure to be received by consumers a bit differently now.

Source: Kotaku

Oh, well. That sucks I suppose. I'm sure that'll piss some people off.

I don't see why people are obsessed with being able to play old games on a new system. No one is forcing you to get rid of your existing PSP when you buy the Go, just like no one forced anyone to get rid of their PS2 or Xbox when they bought a PS3 or a 360.

So...whats the point of the PSPgo anymore? If I were to say, trade in my original PSP to upgrade, I'd have to trade in all my games too. What a joke. Try again Sony, harder this time though!

harhol:
I don't see why people are obsessed with being able to play old games on a new system. No one is forcing you to get rid of your existing PSP when you buy the Go, just like no one forced anyone to get rid of their PS2 or Xbox when they bought a PS3 or a 360.

Its the same system though, just getting the games differently.

Is Sony doing this stuff just to piss people off and not sell the system? I would say they are shooting themselves in the foot, but by now all they have are stumps for feet.

harhol:

Then why would you get a Go if the PSP works just fine? That's the entire problem here. They're offering absolutely zero good reasons as to why you should spend more than the PSP costs now to buy the PSPGo.

AceDiamond:

harhol:

Then why would you get a Go if the PSP works just fine? That's the entire problem here. They're offering absolutely zero good reasons as to why you should spend more than the PSP costs now to buy the PSPGo.

It's been said a billion times before, the PSPGo isn't aimed at existing PSP owners.

Personally, I do plan to buy it, maybe when it drops down in price a dozen dollars or so. I've never owned a PSP but I've been meaning to get one for a while. If you already have a PSP, then sure, there's not much reason to get a Go. For everyone else, there's plenty reason to buy one.

Mr.Pandah:

Debatable. Newer PSP games are unplayable on UMD on 1000s for example. I agree that the change isn't as substantial as, say, PS2 to PS3, but it's definitely more than a minor upgrade. Comparable to Gameboy to Gameboy Colour imo.

But this still doesn't address my original point: why do people want to play old games on their new system? It's not like your existing PSP disappears the moment you buy the Go. You'll still have your old PSP and all your existing games.

Jumplion:

AceDiamond:

harhol:

It's been said a billion times before, the PSPGo isn't aimed at existing PSP owners.

Personally, I do plan to buy it, maybe when it drops down in price a dozen dollars or so. I've never owned a PSP but I've been meaning to get one for a while. If you already have a PSP, then sure, there's not much reason to get a Go. For everyone else, there's plenty reason to buy one.

Yeah but if the 3000 is still on shelves, which it most likely will be, then it's hard to take a look at the two side by side and say "oh I want the one that costs more"

Though I guess this explains why they have a pretty paltry upgrade incentive

AceDiamond:

Jumplion:

AceDiamond:

harhol:

Yeah but if the 3000 is still on shelves, which it most likely will be, then it's hard to take a look at the two side by side and say "oh I want the one that costs more"

Though I guess this explains why they have a pretty paltry upgrade incentive

It's a pretty damn good incentive for me, I can steal my friend's PSP for a bit and get 3 free games :D

Jumplion:

It's a pretty damn good incentive for me, I can steal my friend's PSP for a bit and get 3 free games :D

I was hoping I could find some way that would backfire on you but then again it probably wouldn't.

harhol:

But this still doesn't address my original point: why do people want to play old games on their new system? It's not like your existing PSP disappears the moment you buy the Go. You'll still have your old PSP and all your existing games.

Cause nobody who owns a previous PSP will buy a Go, it's not geared towards previous owners, apparently (honestly I had no idea)

And as for my serious answer: it's because of convenience. I didn't keep my old Gameboys lying about when I had a Gameboy Advance that could play older games just fine. I didn't have to power up a different console depending on what half of a generation a game came out in.

harhol:

Mr.Pandah:

Debatable. Newer PSP games are unplayable on UMD on 1000s for example. I agree that the change isn't as substantial as, say, PS2 to PS3, but it's definitely more than a minor upgrade. Comparable to Gameboy to Gameboy Colour imo.

Most people trade in older systems for the newer one that comes out, especially if the change which is arguably as minor as this. You don't see the DS saying "Hey, we added a camera in our new system, all those old ones that don't use the camera? Yeah, screw those. You can't play them anymore." The DSi plays games that are only playable on it if they use a camera, everything else is relatively the same. I still have the first DS because I don't see a point to the newer ones, just like how I have the original PSP still.

The PSPGo is for a different audience now. It really alienates whatever crowd it had before. And lets be honest...there still aren't two sticks on the damn thing? ;D

I don't have an original PSP or any UMD's so it doesn't matter to me.

Heh.

Sony: Current PS3 units will not be able to play PS2 games "at this time"

Sounds familiar?

Just face it, sony is not going to brink back the ability to play old PSP games.

Hardcore_gamer:
Heh.

Sony: Current PS3 units will not be able to play PS2 games "at this time"

Sounds familiar?

Just face it, sony is not going to brink back the ability to play old PSP games.

Hey, that's what they said about Rumble feature, Motion control, UMDless PSP, and many many MANY times against price drops.

They could be, ya know, lying ;)

So I guess they're Just trying to snag new psp users.
This PSPgo deal keeps getting worse and worse, especially for anyone who already owns a psp.

I was planning on getting one at first but every update they have on it keeps turning me off.

Is this horrible handheld console going to be the crack in Sony's foundation that causes its bloated ass to crumble? One could only hope...

hmmmmm... not good news at all... fortunately for me I only have a handful of PSP games that I never play on UMD, so that shoulnd't deter me too much (if I bother getting a Go), but I know that isn't the case for everyone...

I'm gona be honest, the Go is, unlike the Slim, shaping up (oh god, the pun) to become a complete flop.

WHAT THE FUCK SONY?! I THOUGHT YOU LEARNED FROM YOUR MISTAKES! The 3 games system isn't enough. You piss me off sometimes Sony, you really do.

I was sort of expecting this. Fortunately this hasn't deterred me from a purchase decision, I never had one to begin with :]

For the record on all of this. It doesn't effect me in the slightest. The only reason I care is because I hate greedy corporations.

randomrob:
I don't have an original PSP or any UMD's so it doesn't matter to me.

I shall meditate deeply on this. Thank you for sharing your opinion. Shouldn't he get banned or something? His reply didn't further the topic conversation in the slightest. Would be as useful as saying "Fourteenth!!1!one!11!"

Simalacrum:
hmmmmm... not good news at all... fortunately for me I only have a handful of PSP games that I never play on UMD, so that shoulnd't deter me too much (if I bother getting a Go), but I know that isn't the case for everyone...

I'm gona be honest, the Go is, unlike the Slim, shaping up (oh god, the pun) to become a complete flop.

And if you save your money for (at most) 10 hours of work ($50), you can afford a PS3. Why buy the PSPGo again? Unless you're a super dedicated Sony fan, which as is said above, not who this is targeting or you'd have a PSP already, I can't see why you would buy this over the PS3 right now.

harhol:

Mr.Pandah:

I don't know for sure if UMDs are going out of production or not, but I'm sure I heard they are.

Imagine if the (insert console of choice) stopped making games on discs and released a new version that didn't take discs for your old games and the only way to get new games is to buy the updated version of a console you already own. Would that not piss you off? Oh and don't forget, the new version of the console is about $100 more than the old one currently on the market simply because they think you owe them a premium.

I am still at a loss who would want something with that control scheme? My fingers and wrists hurt just looking at it.

i see a lot of comments that your original psp doesn't disappear however, without the umd conversion your old games for the system do disappear. what they don't realize is that people don't want to keep two portable systems that are almost identical (save for the fact that one is pure digital). they also overlook that many people can't justify owning two of the same system to have a system that's compatible with the games they play.

additionally, even if you are a new psp owner this makes nearly all of the games in its limited library unavailable unless they become noteworthy enough to get posted on their market place (as a note not even a majority of the sony produced psp games are posted).

there is clearly little incentive for anyone new or seasoned to the psp to buy this new system that does significantly less than it's predecessor. unless you absolutely have to have a new iteration of every system it appears to be a system that really isn't worth purchasing. i believe there needs to be something that stands out about a system to warrant a purchase rather than a new body style or color.

i knew that eventually sony would give up on the idea of the free conversion of umds it's just one more reason to buy an earlier psp and get a larger memory stick if you need it.

The Go is definitely sounding rather unimpressive, but hopefully once it reaches store shelves it'll drive down the price of the 3000 model.

I think this officially pushes the Go over the line that the Virtual Boy drew. Hate on the VB all you want, it still wasn't full of this much fail. At least with the VB, you had an unique piece of hardware that had an unique feature (3d vision) that games still don't use today.

This doesn't seem like a very sound business plan to me. If the Go is aimed at current PSP owners, it needs to cost a lot less, and not leave them in the cold as far as their old games go. If the Go is aimed at new purchasers, I'm not seeing any compelling reason why a person who hasn't bought a PSP would buy this one. If they wanted a PSP, they would have one already, I'd think. The advertising is all wrong for attracting new users.

Tom Goldman:
Without a very sound conversion method, Sony could open up the doors to piracy, so the company definitely has to come up with something good. However, the lack of any method at all will no doubt turn off many consumers, especially in light of earlier promises.

Pirates probably have it figured out already...

And that's the nail in the coffin for the Go, at least for the moment.

I mean, there's literally no reason to get one now. The lack of conversion means that those with plenty of UMDs have no incentive to buy it, and people who don't have a PSP don't need to buy this when there's a cheaper alternative available (especially considering how lousy the whole thing with digital distribution is anyway.)

The only thing that could make this situation worse would be if Sony were to make several games Go exclusive in order to try and force people onto the new platform.

Oh, Sony, you were riding high with the PS1 and PS2 and now look where you are, going the way of Sega. Will the PS4 be your Dreamcast.

This is a huge step backwards for Sony. If they don't convert UMD files into digital files, they won't convince PSP users to upgrade to a PSP GO. With the bad press it's been getting (EB boycotting it, pricing issues), Sony are just going to lose money. It kind of reminds me of the PS2/PS3 backwards compatibility issue they had. Come on, Sony. Pick up your game. (er, no pun intended)

1) I never heard Sony say they were working on a UMD conversion plan, just fanboy speculation that was the case.

2) Old UMD's (called UMD Legacy's) are being made available on the PSN store just like the old PS1 classics. I don't think the UMD Legavy's are playable on the PS3 though.

3) PSP Mini's are like the apps in Apple's app store and you'll see a lot of minis available for the Go (and PSP).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here