New PlanetSide in the Works

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New PlanetSide in the Works

A follow-up to the innovative MMOFPS PlanetSide is in the works, according to Sony Online Entertainment

Released back in 2003, PlanetSide continues to have a dedicated following even to this day, long after later rivals such as Hellgate: London or Tabula Rasa have shut down their servers. While there is still support for the game, fans have hoped for a sequel for some time now, and now it seems that they will get their wish following a notice sent by SOE to all the PlanetSide players asking them for suggestions.

"We plan to expand the PlanetSide universe with another game and we need your help with the design ... We want to hear your opinion and to do so we have put together a short survey. The information you provide will play a critical role into helping guide the development and direction of the next hit Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter."

There have been mixed reactions regarding this missive, ranging from the enevitable excitement about a PlanetSide sequel to concern over SOE's handling of other MMOs. Having never the game I can't really make any comment, but what do you folks think about this? Is it a good idea to ask the fans, or will that just lead to a skewed game?

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun

Make the original Planetside, with better graphics, and no stupid mecha's or caves, and SOE, you can have my money.

PlanetSide was good, though a little dated and dying these days.

More please. It's one of the few MMOs which would work well on consoles as well, which could be interesting.

nilcypher:
concern over SOE's handling of other MMOs.

There's my view right there. They've screwed up every MMO they've touched. If they'd listen to the userbase rather than the whiners then they'd already know how to do it. You won't/can't beat WoW, so make something different and better.

Ubisoft published an MMO? (Planetside)

Also...this makes 3 MMO's that SOE will handle under its belt...

Planetside 2, DC Universe Online, and The Agency.

Does Sony think all these games will be a success? Or is the mentality in the MMO development community that the more MMO's you dish out, the better chance you have that at least one will be a hit success...

The_root_of_all_evil:
There's my view right there. They've screwed up every MMO they've touched.

Wasn't Everquest a huge success?

Amnestic:

More please. It's one of the few MMOs which would work well on consoles as well, which could be interesting.

The gameplay makes it look interesting...I think it would be a hit...although the last Sci-fi MMO isn't doing too hot. (Section 8)

WOOOOO!!!!!! PLANETSIDE!!!!! (sorry, im a fanboy, but its awesome :P)

I'm glad they're listing to the fans. [quotezp/] As long as the one payment option is the same as the last one. It had better be or I won't even look at it. I'll glance, but I won't look!

I don't know much about this game. Is it a real MMOFPS or is it just WoW with guns, like Tabula Rasa?

More stability, dear god MORE STABILITY!

I tried it when it was new, then again during the WAR. Both times it was great except for the crippling number of fatal errors. I know MMO's have a lot of content to sort through but it was ridiculous, it's the only game I've played that crashed because the computer was operating too fast for it.

Gameplay wise I'd like it a little more run and gun, but that's just me.

Nimbus:
I don't know much about this game. Is it a real MMOFPS or is it just WoW with guns, like Tabula Rasa?

It was a proper fps, but you could increase levels to unlock guns and different skills. It was pretty cool how the whole game was a constant battle for all the islands.

hansari:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Yes, and Verant made a great MMO.

Then SOE came in, added the PoK Stones to reduce travel - thus making certain zones unusable and empty - tried to get the ships working for 2 years and then replaced them with teleport gnomes, ruined the Epic quests and tradeskills by providing far better drops for free, had level 1's able to farm platinum, brought in the Froglok's etc. etc.

Then they created EQ2, tore the playerbase in half, spent huge amounts of money on character modelling and music and then hid it behind a Simple Simon game for combos that worked on ping.

Just about that point, WoW came along.

Then there was SW:G (Deserted due to "upgrades"), Matrix Online (disbanded due to killer bugs), Vanguard (Going over to gold selling). Not really a great record.

To bring up a small point, the demo they built in 1999 was released in 2007 without updating itself on any of the ingame changes since 2001. In 2009 there is still no support for an in game change that happened 8 years ago.

You know I had high hopes for planetside, and then it actually came out.

So given that SOE is behind this as they were the first one, then no, I am not jumping for anything resembling joy. If, and that's if it comes out better than the first installments, I'll consider it.

With Global Agenda fast approaching a launch date they may want to take a look at what is liked and disliked with the title before starting to figure out what the fans want. You want to add to your userbase with a new title not not maintain what you already have. If you're only interested in placating fans you should make addon content.

Does this mean a second Planetside war?

dekkarax:
Does this mean a second Planetside war?

If this happens, I think The Escapist should be in on it in a big way.

I've been looking over the shoulder of my PS3 owning friend with envy as he browses for snippets of news about MAG. Now I might be able to sate my needs for something like it on PC! =D

I can be the BF2 blackhawk pilot again! I used to be a squad leader, I'd fly and issue orders and warnings from up above, while two members rained down death, and the other 3 achieved the objective. It was such epic, movie-like teamwork. I've only really seen situations like that recreated in the scripted events of COD4. I'm so looking forward to this!

A Planetside sequel is something I'd like to see. Even though, towards the end of the time I spent playing the game, the servers were most often completely empty and even hitting Instant Action would have landed you in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, I still think a new game could work. It was just a pity, last time around, the Core Combat content was so scarcely used. That, and they shouldn't have blown the planet up....

I absolutely loved the feel of Planetside (when it was a fight for bases on three islands, at least). Hundreds of people in a single battle, waiting for the drop ship so all Hell could break loose, it was awesome. Sure, it had issues (I quit when the pistol became more useful than the machine gun), but for the atmosphere and everything it was a pretty epic game.

Here's to hoping it sees a console release for gamers lacking a powerful enough PC.

This is a reaction to Dust 514, CCP's own MMOFPS. True CCP has a record of only one MMO so far, EVE Online, which is awesome in its own right(barely ever laggy, hardly ever crashed, the expansions are free...etc, etc) that alone speaks volumes for CCP. Sony trying to play catchup to that as they have tried to WoW, will only lead to bitter failure. Kudos to SOE getting input from the fans, but it aint gonna end well. Is too bad, Planetside looks like plenty of fun.

What with the release of Alpha Protocol looming, I've been playing way too many RPG games. I've been eying PlanetSide but don't know if its any good.

planetside 2?

oh god i'm so playing, even if SOE screw it up, its planetside, it should be great

Baron Khaine:
Make the original Planetside, with better graphics, and no stupid mecha's or caves, and SOE, you can have my money.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

Nothing has come close to what Planetside did 6 years ago.

Any Catch-22's in here?

The_root_of_all_evil:

hansari:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Yes, and Verant made a great MMO.

Then SOE came in, added the PoK Stones to reduce travel - thus making certain zones unusable and empty - tried to get the ships working for 2 years and then replaced them with teleport gnomes, ruined the Epic quests and tradeskills by providing far better drops for free, had level 1's able to farm platinum, brought in the Froglok's etc. etc.

Then they created EQ2, tore the playerbase in half, spent huge amounts of money on character modelling and music and then hid it behind a Simple Simon game for combos that worked on ping.

Just about that point, WoW came along.

Then there was SW:G (Deserted due to "upgrades"), Matrix Online (disbanded due to killer bugs), Vanguard (Going over to gold selling). Not really a great record.

To bring up a small point, the demo they built in 1999 was released in 2007 without updating itself on any of the ingame changes since 2001. In 2009 there is still no support for an in game change that happened 8 years ago.

Ya SOE tends to make a lot of questionable decisions, as this person points out.
Honestly, I would be excited about this new MMO if anyone but SOE was developing it

Saturate the market, YAY!~

Seriously, it probably won't be better than Huxley, Global Agenda, The Agency, Dust 514, etc, etc...

Amnestic:

its the only Console friendly MMO

Valiance:

Seriously, it probably won't be better than Huxley, Global Agenda, The Agency, Dust 514, etc, etc...

You've obviously never played the original.

The ones you listed don't even come close.

Baron Khaine:

Fuck that, they can have my firstborn son.

Delicious:

Valiance:

...I've never played the original?

Do you see my badge?

I've played it, I've enjoyed it; When I got to it, the game was pretty much dead/dying, and with the dated engine, I really think other games look very promising in the future, such as a few of the ones I listed. Obviously, since none of them have come out yet, I don't know, but to be, Planetside could have been what Tribes was supposed to be, but it instead removed all fast-paced combat in favor of battlefield 1942-esque class-based rock-paper-scissors.

Valiance:

Delicious:

Valiance:

...I've never played the original?

Do you see my badge?

I've played it, I've enjoyed it; When I got to it, the game was pretty much dead/dying, and with the dated engine, I really think other games look very promising in the future, such as a few of the ones I listed. Obviously, since none of them have come out yet, I don't know, but to be, Planetside could have been what Tribes was supposed to be, but it instead removed all fast-paced combat in favor of battlefield 1942-esque class-based rock-paper-scissors.

Playing it for the two weeks that the escapist played it doesn't count. There are people who have playing six years and still know little to nothing about how the game works.

The other games are going to be be traditional (ie 12 vs 12, 16 vs 16 etc) instanced combat. (Dust 514 may be the exception as it is still very early in development). Only Planetside and (to a lesser extent WW2Online) have ever managed to maintain a persistent world where hundreds of players can fight simultaneously and where a small battle on continent can affect the main battle on another.

We'd all best hope PS2 comes out, because so far none of these mini MMOFPS's will even scratch what Planetside has accomplished.

Delicious:

Playing it for the two weeks that the escapist played it doesn't count. There are people who have playing six years and still know little to nothing about how the game works.

The other games are going to be be traditional (ie 12 vs 12, 16 vs 16 etc) instanced combat. (Dust 514 may be the exception as it is still very early in development). Only Planetside and (to a lesser extent WW2Online) have ever managed to maintain a persistent world where hundreds of players can fight simultaneously and where a small battle on continent can affect the main battle on another.

We'd all best hope PS2 comes out, because so far none of these mini MMOFPS's will even scratch what Planetside has accomplished.

How do you know this? Huxley says it's going to have 64v64 world combat, and MAG is coming out with 256v256, (so they say).

And Planetside, at least when I played (I'm assuming it had a lot more at some point) was never more than 50v50, on like the best day.

As far as I know, Global Agenda will have a persistent world, affected by the results of combat like Planetside did.

I wish I got to experience Planetside in its heydey, like you did - it'd probably change my perspective on the game a lot.

I'm so pumped for Planetside 2. I think it would be the only game ever where all I want is the same game with better graphics. Except all the BFRs and caves... and original latice... and more MA weapons... and a CR5 selection process... and more armor looks

If the game can play like PS did around August 2003, then I will be very happy. But I can see the devs thinking with their dicks and saying "Hey, we know better, they will like [insert redundant/needless thing here]"

I'm more exicted for Global Agenda, a game being made by an indie developer and OMG YOU SHOULD TOTALLY GOOGLE IT

Valiance:

Delicious:

How do you know this? Huxley says it's going to have 64v64 world combat, and MAG is coming out with 256v256, (so they say).

And Planetside, at least when I played (I'm assuming it had a lot more at some point) was never more than 50v50, on like the best day.

As far as I know, Global Agenda will have a persistent world, affected by the results of combat like Planetside did.

I wish I got to experience Planetside in its heydey, like you did - it'd probably change my perspective on the game a lot.

I forgot about MAG, that too might be the exception. Some of my outfitmates got into the Global Agenda Beta, and they say the max is 10 vs 10 instanced combat. Huxley I heard was going under some radical reconstructing to the point where it's a F2P game so I doubt the servers can handle what they proposed. And 50 vs 50 sounds like off hours or during a low point in the game - I remember it was like that before the recent server merge, after which the population exploded to the point where we broke the server. It's a little smaller now, but today we had a full poplock in a 2 empire fight (a total of about 266 people).

FUCK. YES.

Planetside was innovative and addictive. If SOE can keep their grubby mitts off of the source (ha!) then they could make some series wonga here.

Valiance:

50 v 50? Yeah, you did miss the hay-day. Musta been one of the dark points in planetsides history when membership was down, I've noticed it seems to cycle around every year or so. Back when I originally played, you could hit practically any base on any island and expect resistance to show up quickly, and some gaming rigs couldn't handle the major hot-zones due to so many players/tanks/planes/explosions/orbital strikes.
the most recently that I played (About 2 years ago) it was more like nearly 100/side at the major fight, with a few dozen at several smaller engagements.

Hmm I need to play that game again...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or