New PlanetSide in the Works

Pages PREV 1 2

When I first played PlanetSide, I had a total blast. My only complaints were the balance issues behind some of the weapons and factions. Seriously, the Terran Republic had those damn miniguns that just ripped through everything with very little accuracy loss. Add to that a huge ammo clip, and ease of use, and it was the only weapon they needed besides vehicles and the heavy suits.

So...fix the balance issues, and I'll buy it. Heck, I'll even get some friends to buy it too so we can go air-raid stuff like I used to back during my days in the New Conglomerate. ^^ Dropship Jockey FTW. <3

Hmmm, well I'm not sure how I feel about it. Truthfully Planetside strikes me as being a wate of resources that could be spent on developing other games. Not saying that it's bad per se, but it's basically retreading the same ground as a lot of other online FPS type games. Sure, it was probably there before a lot of them, but really I can't see this being a worthwhile remake except to some Planetside diehards. I can't see it for example getting the Team Fortress 2 crowd or whatever to stop their favorite online shooter to come play Planetside presumably for a monthy fee to Sony.

I'd also point out that one of the problems with MMOs is that the genere is currently a shark tank. Right now the big problem I see with the industry is that tons of people want to develop them, and make tons of cash, but few people want to invest the money to do it "right" and then accept that it's probably going to be a couple of years before that money rolls in.

World Of Warcraft (the industry standard right now) had a ridiculous, and unprecedented budget for the time it was developed. In general you don't see "OMG" type annoucements when it comes to new MMOs as to how much money is being spent on development. As a result you see a lot of awesome promises that SHOULD be possible under current technology (like say Age Of Conan) but nobody able to live up to them because money seems to run short, and the development timer the greed-crazyed producers set runs out. WoW was the result of basically what amounted to a carte blanche approach to development. Something Sony isn't generally willing to allow with it's products, as a result things wind up being fairly mediocre.

What's more games like WoW have expanded greatly, and gone into some pretty wild areas. A new MMO is not competing with WoW when it started out, but WoW as it is now. So of course you need to probably tack a good hundred million onto the development cost to create greater amounts of content than any MMO has launched with to date. Looking at something like Champions Online the game basically has like *5* maps and *40* levels of progression. I'm sticking with that game (lifetime subscriber) due to the super hero premise, but in general it's a pethetic development effort when you look at it fairly. Sure that's not bad viewed as "what most MMORPGs launch with" but in the end the successful ones your actually competing with are not games that have that kind of bare bones content. Did people jump ship from WoW to come play Champions Online in vast numbers? Nope, those that did anything close to that play CO casually and WoW seriously (sort of like me).

The same basic logic applies to Planetside, except that it's basically competing against stuff like Team Foretress 2 and the like rather than other MMORPGs. Online fragfests that in many cases have no real fees attached.

Planetside was an excellent game shot in the foot by monthly subscription that was rather high, pointless land grabbing & hardcoded glitches (the NC MAX shotty was really annoying).

If they balanced it properly & changed the model, Id happily play again.

50 v 50 ? Hell I remember counting a bridge fight one time using two dozen screen shots taken via a fly over. I think there was 132+ excluding the guys respawning on our team (Go team Vanu) & easily more of them on the other side of the bridge.

Was a beutiful sight until the lag kicked at at 1 fps :D.

I liked the look of the original PlanetSide. I think the best thing that they could do is give more of the same, perhaps with a few tweaks and no crappy mechas or cave fighting, and market it well.

Add what others have said, and some form of accomplishment. It was great fun and all, but when every time the team I was on captured a continent, I'd go to bed and wake up, and it was all gone. It just got to the point to where it was "Why should I bother?".

I don't know what could be done to alleviate that, but it just gets to boring quickly otherwise.

hansari:

The_root_of_all_evil:
There's my view right there. They've screwed up every MMO they've touched.

Wasn't Everquest a huge success?

Amnestic:
PlanetSide was good, though a little dated and dying these days.

More please. It's one of the few MMOs which would work well on consoles as well, which could be interesting.

The gameplay makes it look interesting...I think it would be a hit...although the last Sci-fi MMO isn't doing too hot. (Section 8)

Section 8 isn't a MMO, you don't gain new gear, you just rank up, and its only 32 players on Xbox, I'd hardly call that massive.

KoreyGM:
Section 8 isn't a MMO, you don't gain new gear, you just rank up, and its only 32 players on Xbox, I'd hardly call that massive.

The premise is more or less similar. Its a sci-fi game, based on shooting, you do gain new things in the form of perks, you can also deploy vehicles...

And yeah, 32 isn't that much, but then again thats the limit put on the console and it is a multiplayer game centered around shooting.

So yeah...right now the only sci-fi game I can think of that really dominates the console is Halo 3. I'm not familiar with what Planetside has to offer, but my point is just that if the game is going to come to consoles, its gonna have to be really appealing...

hansari:

KoreyGM:

The premise is more or less similar. Its a sci-fi game, based on shooting, you do gain new things in the form of perks, you can also deploy vehicles...

And yeah, 32 isn't that much, but then again thats the limit put on the console and it is a multiplayer game centered around shooting.

So yeah...right now the only sci-fi game I can think of that really dominates the console is Halo 3. I'm not familiar with what Planetside has to offer, but my point is just that if the game is going to come to consoles, its gonna have to be really appealing...

Uh no you earn nothing for ranking up its in no way a MMO, its just a shooter that everything from the beginning is unlocked and you just rank up, an MMO like Planetside is way different where you gain skill points to learn new things, like medical skills, how to use certian vehicles and such. Also Planetside is a persistent world where 100vs100vs100 can go against each other for control of different worlds

*sings* And I jizzed in my pants!

*ahem*

Anyway, good, very good, I love MMOFPS' and it appears that the genre will awake again: MAG, Dust 514, a new PlanetSide. I am a happy little panda.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here