Warhammer 40,000 To Become CGI Film

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Do you love weaponized chainsaws, nearly fanatical militarism and vaguely Roman class hierarchies? Then you're no doubt giddy that tabletop gaming mainstay Warhammer 40,000 is finally getting the movie treatment in the upcoming Ultramarines.

While I'm hoping for an extremely high-concept film about the trials and tribulations of tiny pewter figurines, the feature-length CGI film probably hews closer to typical action movie ideals, especially since the movie's official site describes it as a "70 minute sci-fi thriller."

Unfortunately, that's the most descriptive the site gets, but anyone who has played Warhammer 40,000 (or, for that matter, StarCraft) can probably guess that Ultramarines will include, in no particular order, tons of violence, latern-jawed, hypermasculine soldiers in oversized body armor, and legions of (most likely) unfriendly Orks.

No release info has yet been offered for the film. Actually, all we really know for sure is the title and that it is being produced as a joint project by Games Workshop and British film studio Codex Pictures (the same people behind the Lego Bionicle DVD movies). You can fill in all the other details with your own imagination, though I understand how hard that might be without the aid of a few hundred tiny metal figurines.

Make a Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!) movie and i'll care.

The stench of death is on this one. I just don't trust GW's business sense. Still, I will heartily watch the mess when it arrives!

All I want to know is this: Is it going to star Eisenhorn or at least Ravenor as the main character?

No tyranids? Well, at least we get orks.

Bah, 40k space marines are so boring.

I have already said it,and will say it again.

Woo yay,a movie! All hail Wankhammer!

/sarcasm

Earnest Cavalli:

Do you love weaponized chainsaws, nearly fanatical militarism and vaguely Roman class hierarchies?

Yes i do,but i dislike WH in particular.

CGI Spess mahrenes? FOR THE GLOORY OF THA EMPRAH!!! So on and so forth, im actually looking forward to this, fingers crossed it's gonna be good.

this is going to be awful yet awesome

Say no to Orks! Tyranids all the way!

CantFaketheFunk:

Let's make an Inquisitor movie!

On Topic (ish): This could be good, but as I suspect will happen to the Warcraft movie, it'll suck horrendous amounts of suck.

No Tyranids or Tau as enemies? I'll pass. Orks are awful.

The 40k universe needs as much care and attention to detail as Lord of the Rings, if not more.

yaaaaaaaaaayyy! Lets just hope the people making it don't give it a royal f**k over.

I wander if the rule "good films make bad games and good games make bad films" applies to Warhammer 40k? Cause... technically, it is a game... but not a videogame so...

CantFaketheFunk:

Find me any over space marines that are more interesting and i'll give you a cookie.

This is either gunna be good or so bad thats its good.

Why cant the movie and games industry just leave each other alone already? They keep trying to get together but it only ends in dysfunction and rage... Like the stereotypical relationship of two highschool rednecks in a speck on the map town with very few other available people in it.

Ranooth:

CantFaketheFunk:

Find me any over space marines that are more interesting and i'll give you a cookie.

StarCraft's.

WH40k Space Marines bore me to tears. They're so over-the-top with their eighteen livers and twelve hearts and yet the entire universe just presents itself RAWR SERIOUS GRIM DARK FOR THA EMBPREROAR. Everyone fights everywhere forever, and it's impossible to take them seriously. But it's more their ridiculous superhuman nature that makes it impossible to root for them as the underdogs, their blind fanatacism PURGE THE HERETIC FOR GLORY, and their utter stoicism. They're blatantly over-the-top in their attempts to be COOL and AWESOME and BADASS that it just becomes dull.

Meanwhile, the StarCraft space marines are rednecks and prisoners strapped into power armor. They're the underdogs; they're a lot easier to relate to, and they joke around. I can't ever imagine a 40k marine using a nuclear bomb cooler to store some beer (it'd probably be considered some form of heresy), can you? The SC marines are much more like 40k's Imperial Guard - who I like much more than 40k's Space Marines for the same reason. They're ordinary guys in way over their heads.

Ranooth:

CantFaketheFunk:

Imperial Guard (I will shoot you in the goddamn face if you don't go out there and get shot in the goddamn face!)
Tyranids (Turning entire planets into organic goo then stripping all of that to nothing but a stone core)
Orks (I mean come on now, shit works because they think it does?)
Eldar (Hey guys...I was thinking...what bad could come from ages and ages or orgies and other debauchery?)
Dark Eldar (Ohhh...that's what could happen)
Tau (I find them oddly satisfying, since according to the codex I read they give convert or die instead of convert and die regardless)

The above are in no particular order. Besides the fact that I love Imperial Guard :P.

Edit: I realize now what your question was, but as my personal opinion they are the least interesting of all the warhammer races.

Now once I've finished reading the warhammer novels I have I might change my mind on that but for now that's the case.

CantFaketheFunk:

Meanwhile, the StarCraft space marines are rednecks and prisoners strapped into power armor. They're the underdogs; they're a lot easier to relate to, and they joke around. I can't ever imagine a 40k marine using a nuclear bomb cooler to store some beer (it'd probably be considered some form of heresy), can you? The SC marines are much more like 40k's Imperial Guard - who I like much more than 40k's Space Marines for the same reason. They're ordinary guys in way over their heads.

Oh hellz yeah. That's what I like to hear.

Earnest Cavalli:

YAAAAAAY!

No release info has yet been offered for the film. Actually, all we really know for sure is the title and that it is being produced as a joint project by Games Workshop and British film studio Codex Pictures (the same people behind the Lego Bionicle DVD movies).

...Never mind. Anyone who was a fan of Bionicle, and saw the movies, will tell you that they are one of the worst canon-fuck-ups in the history of mankind. They literally ignored everything Bionicle had storyline-wise, and tried to make a cute children's movie.

It was awful.

Wilbot666:
All I want to know is this: Is it going to star Eisenhorn or at least Ravenor as the main character?

It's Ultramarines, not Inquisitor.

Cpt_Oblivious:

CantFaketheFunk:

Let's make an Inquisitor movie!

On Topic (ish): This could be good, but as I suspect will happen to the Warcraft movie, it'll suck horrendous amounts of suck.

Seconded. Unless they actually focus on one of the more interestingly ambiguous marine chapters (or even the Horus Heresy), I get the feeling that there will be nothing interesting about this film at all.

I agree with you in thinking that the Inquisition would make a great basis for a 40k film (and, incidentally, if the planets ever align and cause Bioware to get the license to make an Inquisitor RPG I will not be responsible for my actions), as would the Imperial Guard: dealing with the side of the Imperium that's more easily relatable to, less over the top, and less stupidly grimdark (so base it off anything Dan Abnett's written and it should be fine, from what I've heard of his Black Library books)

scotth266:

No release info has yet been offered for the film. Actually, all we really know for sure is the title and that it is being produced as a joint project by Games Workshop and British film studio Codex Pictures (the same people behind the Lego Bionicle DVD movies).

...Never mind. Anyone who was a fan of Bionicle, and saw the movies, will tell you that they are one of the worst canon-fuck-ups in the history of mankind. They literally ignored everything Bionicle had storyline-wise, and tried to make a cute children's movie.

It was awful.

All of which wouldn't be so bad if the movies were actually good, which they weren't.

I used to collect a long time ago, 5-6 years, OK not that long then. But what real story potential is there? Also, that picture is ridiculous, look at his hand/head ratio!

Eldritch Warlord:

scotth266:

It was awful.

All of which wouldn't be so bad if the movies were actually good, which they weren't.

I take it you've also seen what they pass off as high production values, eh?

40k fans, you should be CRYING right now for mercy. Seriously, go sacrifice a goat in the middle of the street and pray that this somehow is ended before it can even leak concept art. If anyone questions what the hell you're sacrificing a goat for, show them the Bionicle movies. They'll understand.

Honestly, if they get proper background writers to write the story and script, good actors to do the voices, have sharp animation, and don't just try and make a rendition of the Halo movie, it could be decent.

But they won't because that sort of person is expensive and most Animation departments would much rather pay some twelve-year-old to write for them, get no-mark foreign actors and wank off Gears of War.

I am a fan of Warhammer 40k, this will either be the best movie in years or absolutely fucking terrible.

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Yeah... I love 40k.

And this is gonna suck.

CantFaketheFunk:

About the only way I would be interested in a SM movie, is if they set the movie during the Horus Heresy. Other than that, I would prefer a movie about Chaos/Eldar/Necrons, but more than likely, I will still watch it bc I am a total 40k geek.

im sick of ultramatines, why not make a movie about a chapter with some quirks, some character, some reason to have a plot other than "WE ARE THE ULTRAMARINES WE WILL FIGHT TO DEFEND WHAT IS RIGHT!"

whats wrong with a dark angels movie? maybe we can get into the shady dark past they have and the more secretive character?
or the crimson fists? right now the fluff is that they are stuck in a desperate battle to survive after their home world is almost destroyed, their numbers are lucky to be in the triple digets. Waybe we would like to see a hit and run guerilla warfare as the crimson fists led by pedro cantor try and make it off of rynns world and off to freedom?

id watch those, not a generic chapter of do gooders that will probably be over americanised to fit with the mass market GW aims for with the ultramarines

CantFaketheFunk:

Ranooth:

CantFaketheFunk:

StarCraft's.

*Snip*

Starcraft Marines aren't space marines. They're Imperial Guard at the most. Probably related to Catachans.

To answer your question regarding the nuke beer cooler: The Space Wolves would. However, it wouldn't be beer. It would be some noxious concoction (it takes a lot to get a space viking drunk) that would dissolve ferrocrete, and it would be kept in an exterminatus bomb, not a piddly little nuke.

Now then, Space Marines have never, and will never be underdogs in the 40K universe. The poor little impy guard, and the even poorer people who live on the imperium's worlds? They're the underdogs. The entire galaxy is filled with things that, at best, want them dead, and that's without even going into the insane fanaticism of the regular human faithful of the emperor. Their idea of a good time is getting into gangs, rolling into town, and torching everything if they see so much as a hint of something they see that's "heretical", which is very, very, very vaguely defined. Or if they don't, because that just means you've hidden it well.

Space Marines in 40K aren't supposed to be likable, relatable human characters. They're brutal, zealous, brainwashed killing machines that exist to serve their god, their primarch, and their brothers, nothing else. A movie involving them is going to be brutal, dark, and highly entertaining, just the WH40K universe. Go check out some of the 40K books, then come back and call the Space Marines boring.

It's just a shame they chose the Ultramarines, as even though they were the first chapter, for the most part they're a bit lacking in character ('cept for the Tyrannic War Veterans. They're awesome). Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, or the Horus Heresy would have been better choices in my not-even-remotely-humble opinion.

oppp7:
No tyranids? Well, at least we get orks.

What do you mean, "at least we get orks"? I don't think I'd want a movie about W40k WITHOUT Da Boyz.

Still, it doesn't look like the movie will be any good.

ViktorValentine:
CGI Spess mahrenes? FOR THE GLOORY OF THA EMPRAH!!! So on and so forth, im actually looking forward to this, fingers crossed it's gonna be good.

Did you say SPESS MEHRINES!?

WE HAVE FEHLED...THE EMPRAH!

ORKS WAAAARGH!

Oh wait, a movie in which the orks just pull out all the stops and go Gargant style on their asses would be very short.

looks like once again the space mairnes will win this one. (how unexpected)

Spudgun Man:
ORKS WAAAARGH!

Oh wait, a movie in which the orks just pull out all the stops and go Gargant style on their asses would be very short.

looks like once again the space mairnes will win this one. (how unexpected)

What do you expect? They're the ultimate in Gary Stu.

/give me a battalion of Eldar any day.

Wow, sounds awesome! I just hope they bring in other races then just the hew-mans. I'd like to see the Tau and maybe the Necrons get their fair share of the spotlight. Or even the Dark Eldar!

I keep seeing news about this and the automatic response is either something good(Cain, Inquisitor), or something of equal shit value(Space Puppies, Blood Angels, Dark Angels).

If they're going to make a Space Marine movie, much to my dismay, then make it about the Salamanders. They get no love, and you could get Spike Lee to direct it and tell the story of how the other Chapters are racist towards the Salamanders. It would be fantastic!

As for my Space Puppies comment, let me make my intentions clear: They are everything I hate about the Space Marines. I hate them more than I hate the Ultramarines. The Ultramarines are bland and boring and stale and remind me of my last girlfriend. The Space Puppies, however, are the embodiment of all the stupid extremes that are the Space Marines, and they're made out to be the most hardcore bunch of bad-asses in the history of hardcore bad-asses. They get all this crazy shit(Random mutations? I do believe that's considered heresy and would, therefore, be cause to exterminate them), act outside the rules and get away with it all? They're generic action movie heroes! And really, there's nothing cool about a bunch of furrys running around.

All in all, the only good Space Marines are those that have fallen to Chaos....because we kick ass without being whiny little twats.

Joshimodo:
No Tyranids or Tau as enemies? I'll pass. Orks are awful.

Agreed. They're a one dimensional, kinda generic enemy, even more so than the incarnation of every boring aspect of SPESS MEHREENS, the UltraMEHREENS.

And there are about a billion more interesting little chapters out there. Relictors, Soul drinkers, Rainbow marines...

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here