Warhammer 40,000 To Become CGI Film

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

From that description of Sci-fi thriller i think it is fairly likely to possibly be a space hulk setting since i have tried racking my brains for several days as to what other possible setting that could mean and the only other one would be a small action against Chaos which i find rather unlikely i find the space hulk setting to be much more like since with thrillers it tends to be a fairly small cast of main characters and so a single squad abord a spce hulk fighting nids seems much more likly than orks

CantFaketheFunk:

Ranooth:

CantFaketheFunk:
Bah, 40k space marines are so boring.

Find me any over space marines that are more interesting and i'll give you a cookie.

This is either gunna be good or so bad thats its good.

StarCraft's.

WH40k Space Marines bore me to tears. They're so over-the-top with their eighteen livers and twelve hearts and yet the entire universe just presents itself RAWR SERIOUS GRIM DARK FOR THA EMBPREROAR. Everyone fights everywhere forever, and it's impossible to take them seriously. But it's more their ridiculous superhuman nature that makes it impossible to root for them as the underdogs, their blind fanatacism PURGE THE HERETIC FOR GLORY, and their utter stoicism. They're blatantly over-the-top in their attempts to be COOL and AWESOME and BADASS that it just becomes dull.

Meanwhile, the StarCraft space marines are rednecks and prisoners strapped into power armor. They're the underdogs; they're a lot easier to relate to, and they joke around. I can't ever imagine a 40k marine using a nuclear bomb cooler to store some beer (it'd probably be considered some form of heresy), can you? The SC marines are much more like 40k's Imperial Guard - who I like much more than 40k's Space Marines for the same reason. They're ordinary guys in way over their heads.

I think that's the point. Warhammer Fantasy/40K are almost definitely meant to be comedies. Very straight faced ultra-violent comedies, but still comedies. It's pretty subtle, but there's three almost undeniable bits of evidence for it :1)Codex:Space Marines has a quote from 1984 (War is Peace, Ignorance is Strength etc.) 2)The core WHFantasy races are based on British subcultures 3)A story from WhiteDwarf about a mage demolishing a castle with...gah can't remember, that annoying Lore of Heavens meteor spell, only to be chastised with "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"

You're also not meant to root for the Space Marines. The 40K universe is explicitly designed so that there are no good guys. So much so that when people started siding with the Tau, GW added in subtle slavery implications and focused on the "Blow you to crap" part of "Join us, or we'll blow you to crap" At least they ask.

This is of course nonsense, everyone knows the true good guys are the Eldar Harlequins.

Jaythulhu:

Starcraft Marines aren't space marines. They're Imperial Guard at the most. Probably related to Catachans.

In the context of StarCraft, yes, they're space marines. They're space marines just like the Aliens guys are space marines, the Halo UNSC forces are space marines, etc. They may not be 40k "Space Marines," but they're still space marines.

Space Marines in 40K aren't supposed to be likable, relatable human characters. They're brutal, zealous, brainwashed killing machines that exist to serve their god, their primarch, and their brothers, nothing else. A movie involving them is going to be brutal, dark, and highly entertaining, just the WH40K universe. Go check out some of the 40K books, then come back and call the Space Marines boring.

And that's precisely why they bore me to tears. There's nothing human there to relate to. There's very little ambiguity. They have a single-minded purpose, and kicking ass for the sake of kicking ass is wholly uninteresting to me.

This is not the first time they've tried to get a 40K movie off the ground. A quick google shows the last news I can find on the attempt to bring Blood Quest to the screen was 2006, but I remember reading about it and watching a few test vids back when I still had a 56k modem, which suggests work began back in 2001/2 or there abouts.

A link to the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpEY630UaMg

Abedeus:

oppp7:
No tyranids? Well, at least we get orks.

What do you mean, "at least we get orks"? I don't think I'd want a movie about W40k WITHOUT Da Boyz.

Still, it doesn't look like the movie will be any good.

But why can't it have both? Instead of having the movie based on the space marines, why not the orks of Octavious fighting the tyranids? Space marines are practically Marie Sues in WH40k. Every time they have a book or a video game the space marines have to be in it. The only exceptions are when it is a sequel. Then the first part of the series is the only one that needs a space marine.

CantFaketheFunk:

And that's precisely why they bore me to tears. There's nothing human there to relate to. There's very little ambiguity. They have a single-minded purpose, and kicking ass for the sake of kicking ass is wholly uninteresting to me.

They need to spice things up with:

While I'm pretty sure it'll be assed up, I hope it isn't, WAR lore and action is fucking epic.

So they're trying again eh?

Waaaaaay back GW started work on a CGI Space Maine movie based around the Blood Angels. It was going to be called "Bloodquest" which is the same as the comic they were basing it on. They released a handfull of still shots before it got 'put on hold', and the production company disbanded before it was resumed.

I didn't even realise they'd gotten as far as a trailer, I don't remember them mentioning it in White Dwarf (GW's magazine) even though it looks like this is where the shots they released came from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpEY630UaMg

"OMG WE ARE SOO AWETHOME!!! WE ARE TEH ULTRAMARINES!!!" God I hate the imperium.

OT: Needs more Necrons.

I have to admit, I do think this will kinda suck. Still, I'm enough of a Games Workshop fan to want to go see this, and I hope it'll be good fun to watch, even if it isn't exactly mentally stimulating. If truth be told, I'm quite interested to see who gets the voice acting jobs.

Hmm. Unless they do some genius here, we're going to get overhyped muscle-bound madmen. Basically think of every bad war movie you can, and then add LAZARS.

The Space Marines are an untouchable force, the classic "legion", trying to characterise a unit of them, hell, even trying to flesh out a commander would be a bad move unless his character has a certain self-hating evil about their person (think the Captain from Pan's Labyrinth). They could very easily make this movie espescially bad if the commander suddenly has a touch of conscience and thinks "GENOCIDE IS BADZ" in a desperate bid to make his character likeable and human.
What this movie needs is a point to show the cruelty, depravity and madness of the universe it is trying to represent. Bonus points if it is told from an alien perspective to make humanity seem like the evil invading force. What would be a good move is if it was told from the perspective of the Imperial Guard on having to work with the Space Marines, since the majority of them are abused, are cannon-fodder and have bleak futures.

Reuq:
I used to collect a long time ago, 5-6 years, OK not that long then. But what real story potential is there? Also, that picture is ridiculous, look at his hand/head ratio!

those are called powerfists dear, they're meant to be huge, cos you use them to break tanks, they aren't his actual hands...

and to anyone who's come here JUST to insult 40k, then eff you, why the hell would you search for something specifically just to bad mouth it, do you have no lives?!? and yes i'm aware of the hipocracy...

oh and yeah, why's it the smurfs? why couldn't they do a DOW and invent a chapter?

Volodanti:

Reuq:
I used to collect a long time ago, 5-6 years, OK not that long then. But what real story potential is there? Also, that picture is ridiculous, look at his hand/head ratio!

oh and yeah, why's it the smurfs? why couldn't they do a DOW and invent a chapter?

My vote goes for the Desu Marines.

Ehhhh... I said it once and I'll say it again: Will people please stop pissing and moaning about a movie any of us have yet to see? Be grateful GW finally decided to allow a movie to be made at all.
And yes, Ultrasmurfs are a basic/generic chapter, but considering that a movie about 40k is most likely intended to increase its publicity and/or fanbase, and hence to introduce people to 40k who've possibly never heard of it, it's probably a very GOOD thing to start things off with such a chapter.

Wait... isnt there also a Space Marines game coming out soon?

http://www.spacemarine.com/#/en/trailers/

On one hand, I love Warhammer 40k. Also, CGI movies can be nice.

On the other hand, everything so far tells me this is going to be crap. Ultramarines? Against Orks? Can it get ANY more generic? Can you try ANY harder to avoid any deep or moving aspects of the WH40k universe? Seriously, ANYONE with a passing familiarity with the setting can think up a far more compelling premise.

Essentially, this will be a Space Marine action wankoff aimed at the frat boy audience and small bloodthirsty children, it will flop because that audience has little interest in cartoons and will serve as justification to never do anything WH40k related because "Ultramarines" flopped.

All in all, I'm fairly depressed about this announcement...

Volodanti:

Reuq:

those are called powerfists dear, they're meant to be huge, cos you use them to break tanks, they aren't his actual hands...

and to anyone who's come here JUST to insult 40k, then eff you, why the hell would you search for something specifically just to bad mouth it, do you have no lives?!? and yes i'm aware of the hipocracy...

Im aware of what they are, but it dosen't stop them from being ridiculous.

Sonicron:
Ehhhh... I said it once and I'll say it again: Will people please stop pissing and moaning about a movie any of us have yet to see? Be grateful GW finally decided to allow a movie to be made at all.
And yes, Ultrasmurfs are a basic/generic chapter, but considering that a movie about 40k is most likely intended to increase its publicity and/or fanbase, and hence to introduce people to 40k who've possibly never heard of it, it's probably a very GOOD thing to start things off with such a chapter.

The only people who are going to see it are the fanboys.
Even then, why just have Space Marines vs. Orks? Why not have the good ol Imperial Guard fighting the enemies of mankind, with the vanilla marines in the background. That way, people can be more gradually introduced to the concept of 40K with some relatable characters, and leave all the ubersoldier space monk weirdness on the periphery to add flavour without alienating newcomers who don't know every aspect of the backstory.

Yet another jumps falls into the movie pit.

Heck, it may turn out well, but experience has it that it won't.

I am sill wondering. WHY has everyone jumped to the conclusion that it is going to be the smurfs versus orks? I have still to see anywhere in the official announcement that the Ultramarines are facing off against Orks. It could just as easily be Chaos, Tyranids, Necrons Dark Eldar or any other of the races in the 40k universe

I just want a longer, cooler reskin of 300 with gunz, that too much to ask?

Fur teh Empra!

Why is that man wearing all that armor in his chair. My understanding is that it uses 'power' quite an impractical waste, unless he feels threatened. In which case his marines can't be doing their job very well.

Might watch it when a friend rents it and I have nothing else to do.

People seem to be forgetting that The Ultramarines and Space Marines in general are GW's biggest cash cow ever and so it would be logical for them to make a film about it.

On the other hand, I would love to see a war against maybe the Tyranids from the pespective of the Imperial Gaurd, you could use so many things from other war movies, it would work like a charm

Foolish Mortal:

Sonicron:

The only people who are going to see it are the fanboys.
Even then, why just have Space Marines vs. Orks? Why not have the good ol Imperial Guard fighting the enemies of mankind, with the vanilla marines in the background. That way, people can be more gradually introduced to the concept of 40K with some relatable characters, and leave all the ubersoldier space monk weirdness on the periphery to add flavour without alienating newcomers who don't know every aspect of the backstory.

About only the fanboys watching it... I don't think so, but then again that may be my uncharacteristic optimism speaking.
Regarding the rest of what you said, I'd also like that. As I said, I'm not a big fan of the Ultramarines, but I'll take it nonetheless... however, I think your concept of a 40k movie would actually work better. My main point was that people shouldn't judge this movie before watching it.

I will watch, even though it's not gaunt's ghosts. I didn't like the ultramarines books, but maybe this'll be different? Not to say they weren't good. O.o

I love Dan Abnett's stuff, as I'm sure people familiar with me would know.

This will likely be a straight to DVD release.

if it was an epic 90 minute long version of the Dawn of War intro CGI... i would go watch it.. because, cmon... thats exactly what every one that likes WH40k wants to watch. gratuitious violence for absolutely no reason.

Cpt_Oblivious:

CantFaketheFunk:

Let's make an Inquisitor movie!

That may just bw the best idea in the history of today. Maybe an Eisenhorn movie, that would be awesome

Space Marines are not the most interesting force, nor are the orks.
Iperial Guard, the Tau and the Tyranids have much more character.

This is an "everything or nothing"- film. As said, it's going to be awesome or suck balls. Most likely the latter.

CantFaketheFunk:

You have an easier time relating to rednecks and prisoners?

What sort of obscure past did The Funk rise from?

I'd be excited if it weren't guaranteed to be rubbish... at least it's CGI.

hansari:

CantFaketheFunk:

...would I have an easier time relating to normal humans (albeit rednecks and prisoners) than I would genetically engineered supermen who live hundreds of years and are slavishly devoted to their emperor to the point where "fanaticism" is far too soft a word to describe it?

Yes. Yes I would.

CantFaketheFunk:

hansari:

CantFaketheFunk:

...would I have an easier time relating to normal humans (albeit rednecks and prisoners) than I would genetically engineered supermen who live hundreds of years and are slavishly devoted to their emperor to the point where "fanaticism" is far too soft a word to describe it?

Yes. Yes I would.

To be fair, they're not as fanatic as the Sisters of Battle, who take it further than the Space Marines.

Onmi:
Make a Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!) movie and i'll care.

Now, That I'd pay to see.
It must have something to do with the Greater Greed.

Why does everyone feel the need to misspell everything and put it in caps in order to make a point that something is stupid? I mean, I have no problem with people making the point that the 40k universe is over the top (that's part of its charm) but doing that is a similar mentality to a child repeating what someone says and doing it in a silly voice as if that's how they sound.

Anyway! I know this film will probably end up being a train wreck but there's a slim chance it'll work, and if it does it will be epic. Probably something along the lines of 300... Well here's hoping! You never know, 40k made the jump from tabletop to computer games gracefully enough (with a few minor exceptions), so it's not too implausible for it to make the jump to the big screen.
Still, I think that a film about a nobody lowlife in a hive city being drafted into the guard and then being made to fight and die in an endless warzone on a planet he's never heard of would have been a better introduction for general moviegoers to the tone of the 40k universe. With a cameo by everyone's favourite marines to please the fanboys of course.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.