Silent Hill Writer Headed To Jail For Drunken Crash

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Silent Hill Writer Headed To Jail For Drunken Crash

Following a drunk driving incident that left a man dead and a woman injured, Silent Hill screenwriter Roger Avary has been sentenced to a year in jail.

The 44-year-old, whose credits also include scripting Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction and the upcoming Return to Castle Wolfenstein film adaptation, plead guilty to manslaughter following an incident in the city of Ojai, California.

According to official reports, Avary was at the wheel of his Mercedes while intoxicated and hit a telephone pole at "more than 100 miles per hour," killing Italian friend Andreas Zini instantly and sending Avary's wife flying from the wreckage. Miraculously, given the speed and catastrophic impact, both Avary and his wife survived the collision.

Zini's family also filed a civil suit against Avary for $4.1 million, but Reuters' report indicates that the suit has already been resolved.

"It has profoundly altered me to the very core of my being," Avary said of the event.

(Image)

ouch, bad news... feel sorry for the person who died :S

Did he crash in silent hill that would be oh so ironic.

I'm sure there's a joke here where I can mutate the words "Silent Hill" into something related to this, but even I'm not that heartless. Anyways, he is an arse for drinking and driving.

He only got one year? He should have gotten way more; he was both excessively speeding and driving drunk.

One year? What the hell is that for taking a life? The bastard killed someone.

Shadow Law:
Did he crash in silent hill that would be oh so ironic.

^LOL

Ah man....Poor guy. I don't know why they let him drive while he was drunk...

Well, I guess it's to be expected - nobody who makes games that deal with psychological horror can really be described as anything but "a bit fucked up."

MaxTheReaper:
Well, I guess it's to be expected - nobody who makes games that deal with psychological horror can really be described as anything but "a bit fucked up."

??? Now of all the people who I expected to say things like that, none of them were you Max.

Writers imagine, they don't just live their ideas. ><

Oh God. That's horrible news. My heart goes out to the guy, as well as the woman that was hurt.

Now there's even less chance of a Silent Hill game that isn't lobotomized coming along...

MaxTheReaper:

The_root_of_all_evil:

MaxTheReaper:

??? Now of all the people who I expected to say things like that, none of them were you Max.

The_Oracle:
Oh God. That's horrible news. My heart goes out to the guy, as well as the woman that was hurt.

Now there's even less chance of a Silent Hill game that isn't lobotomized coming along...

Actually guys I think he worked on the film.

The_root_of_all_evil:

I didn't even know you knew me.

True, but I'm of the opinion that creativity is very close friends with madness.

Onmi:

There was a film?

MaxTheReaper:

The_root_of_all_evil:

True, but I'm of the opinion that creativity is very close friends with madness.

Onmi:

There was a film?

You blocked it out didn't you?

Well, Ive lost a loved one to a car accident they could have avoided (driving while tired), and as much as I love and miss him, I have to own up and aknowledge that it was his own damn fault for not pulling over and sleeping.

With that in mind, I hope its clear why I say this guy got what was coming to him, and I have no sympathy whatsoever for him.

Oh, and the Silent Hill film was shit as well.

MaxTheReaper:

The_root_of_all_evil:

I know most people :)

...surely you've just accused all game writers, book writers, journalists etc. of being mad?

If creativity is madness that means sanity is monotony, which would you choose?

Actually, I'm being unsympathetic. Drink breaks two more families. Condolences to both.

Xaositect:

Oh, and the Silent Hill film was shit as well.

Hey, Silent Hill the movie wasn't that bad. You just absolutely have to have played one of the games before watching, preferably Silent Hill 2. Even if you haven't, some horror fans can still appreciate it.

Destal:
He only got one year? He should have gotten way more; he was both excessively speeding and driving drunk.

Umm I'm sorry but he's famous, and therefore in the eyes of the law.... better than us.

OH WOW only 1 year for killing someone and ruining someone else's life... And he does deserve far more, he was way over the speed limit and drove while drunk, he is a first class idiot.

Well, that is...unfortunate.

Life goes on...except for Andreas Zini,but life goes on for the rest of us nonetheless.

Only a year? he killed someone due to drucken stupidity and he only gets a year?

My sympathy goes out to the man's family who died and the video game industry for losing a great writer
Seriously though, 1 year? 1 Fucking year for killing a man and injuring another while drunk
I bet the family are upset about that, I know I would be

The_Oracle:

Hey, Silent Hill the movie wasn't that bad. You just absolutely have to have played one of the games before watching, preferably Silent Hill 2. Even if you haven't, some horror fans can still appreciate it.

The reason why I hate it is because I have played Silent Hill 1 & 2, fucking loved them, and saw the film shit on them.

I absolutely loved how for once I found a story that had the balls to portray the leading male, above everything else, as a loving and caring character. What did this film do? Turn him into a fucking woman! At that moment I vowed to never give a shit about women bitching about representation in games or films ever again.

Another peeve? One that sadly cannot be blamed solely on this film I should add. Fanservice Pyramid Head. Instead of being a profound representation of the protagonists fucked up psyche, its a cliche film fucking stalker monster.

no, it should be far longer then just a year. that is way too lenient.

i don't care how good his games or films or whatever were, drunk driving is an act of true stupidity and recklessness, and requires further punishment.

He should've gotten more than a year

Was the dude in his car?

Then no he doesn't deserve more than what he got for taking his friends life, he wasn't forced into the car...

*edited from she to dude*

as far as i know this is old news

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22643980/ - jan 14, 2008

He should have longer but think of silent hill!

He only got a year? Someones dead, another person is injured, and he only got a year?

Thats not right.

ae86gamer:
He only got a year? Someones dead, another person is injured, and he only got a year?

Thats not right.

Welcome to America. Enjoy your stay.

ae86gamer:

Thats not right.

It wasn't intentional. It was a crime of idiocy which it is very likely he will learn from. cutting him off from society in the company of criminals for a substantially longer period may make his rehabilitation a more difficult process than it should be. I don't know how long I think he should get, but if he genuinely learns from the experience and is remorseful then I personally won't call for any additional jail-time. It's a tragedy for the relatives of the deceased, but in these situations I think punishment is impossible to prescribe. He's got to live with the fact that he's responsible for the death of a friend, which is punishment enough imo.

maybe the girl just traveled to another realm where she will pay for her sins, or maybe hell get a letter from the girl three years from now.

The Rockerfly:
My sympathy goes out to the man's family who died and the video game industry for losing a great writer
Seriously though, 1 year? 1 Fucking year for killing a man and injuring another while drunk
I bet the family are upset about that, I know I would be

My thoughts exactly. He is an adult who is well aware of the risk of driving around under the influence of alcohol, and his irresponsibility cost the live of one man, he ought to pay a just price for this. Not saying he should be on the death row, for 1 year, what the hell?

The_root_of_all_evil:

I know most people :)

...surely you've just accused all game writers, book writers, journalists etc. of being mad?

If creativity is madness that means sanity is monotony, which would you choose?

Actually, I'm being unsympathetic. Drink breaks two more families. Condolences to both.

The smiley only makes that statement more terrifying.

Not quite!
I have accused them, at most, of being slightly more unstable than the next person.
I did say "close friends," not "inseparable."

And I think my choice is clear on that one.
BRING ON THE CTHULHU

Onmi:

You blocked it out didn't you?

Like, I assume, most people, I tend to block out horrific, traumatizing events.
But I've actually just never seen it.
Or played the games, for that matter.
But I've read about them.

JWAN:
One year? What the hell is that for taking a life? The bastard killed someone.

But it was manslaughter,and that has a lighter sentence.

RAND00M:

But it was manslaughter,and that has a lighter sentence.

You know what?
That's such bullshit.

You should get more jail time for killing someone through idiocy than for premeditated murder.

Hell, being stupid should be a crime.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.