Grab A Look at Canceled "The Flash" Superhero Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Grab A Look at Canceled "The Flash" Superhero Game

This game based on DC's superhero The Flash may never have seen the light of day, but at least you can see what the title looked like six months into development thanks to this rough early footage.

There's no denying that the above footage - posted on superannuation by a BottleRocket employee - is incredibly rough, but you know what? Let's be lenient for a moment: After all, the title was reportedly only a third into development (six months, with "about a year" remaining) when the publisher, Brash Entertainment, went under.

So for a game six months into development, there's potential here. Granted, I don't think any developer could ever illustrate the true capabilities of The Flash in a game (like running around the world in a fraction of a second to punch someone in the face) but the BottleRocket team apparently had a good grasp on how to give the player a good sense of speed, even in this early rough footage. The combat looks pretty cool, too - bullet time taken to its absurd extreme, anybody?

There are some solid ideas under the hood, and it's a shame we won't ever get to see them in action. Alas and alack.

(via Joystiq)

Looks like a laugh, but not my thing at all. Strangly it reminds me of GTA3, duno why.

Kinda looks like a 3D Sonic game, and we all know how those turned out. Which sucks, because The Flash is the best superhero out there.

I wonder if they would've incorporated Flash's ability to move every atom of himself so fast that he could phase through walls. That would be awesome.

it reminds me a little of sonic...

It's just a case of seeing how the fact that The Flash has super speed would be incorporated into the game without it being a game breaker:

CantFaketheFunk:
Granted, I don't think any developer could ever illustrate the true capabilities of The Flash in a game (like running around the world in a fraction of a second to punch someone in the face) but the BottleRocket team apparently had a good grasp on how to give the player a good sense of speed, even in this early rough footage. The combat looks pretty cool, too - bullet time taken to its absurd extreme, anybody?

Exactly this. But still it's pretty cool seeing the actual footage even if this game won't ever end up being made. Shame, I guess. Still, at least we have the likes of Arkham Asylum to tide us over until the next superhero movie/game tie-in...

It's a little bit like Spiderman Eeb of Shadows meets Mirror's Edge... With speed.

Well, it seems interesting, would of been murder getting used to the speed though.

I think Flash could have done what Sonic couldn't after all these years: Not suck.

Actually, the footage reminds me a lot of the Superman Returns game, which really isn't a good thing. Still, it's a shame it got canceled.

That is a shame, it looks like a laugh, spider man style game play on speed, would have been awesome if it had continued the way it was going.

It looked pretty good. But if it was under Brash, it was bound to suck.

Don't like the idea at all.

I want to leap 100's of feet into the air before landing and chasing someone across rooftops. Jumping and rolling onto each surface.

Not run around a city. Even if you can run up buildings.

The combat reminded me of the Spiderman games, which got pretty boring after a while. Their concept of open world would probably have been like Spiderman as well. Run around, find baddies to beat up, go to an icon to follow the story, or go do a racing/fighting/obstacle challenge.

Reuq:
Looks like a laugh, but not my thing at all. Strangly it reminds me of GTA3, duno why.

ever used the Raise Speed cheat?
You run pretty fast if you use it...

well, that's why it reminds me of GTA3. or San Andreas. but mostly 3.

Granting it that it is nothing but a rough draft of what it could have potentially been, I would hope that had they more time to develop it that they'd have done away with the grinding and assisted ramp jumps.

They look like they really break flow.

Sure, have ramps somewhere, but don't let them be "Press button in time to use" ramps, just have a ramp that you can run and then jump from.

And grinding? in a game about speed? Surely people have learned from the Sonic games, right?

I won't deny that despite that, the rest looks really, very impressive for something that's entirely unfinished.

I can only hope that some other company picks up the project, the Flash deserves a game in honesty.

It looks like it could have had some good potential. Looks like the Combat was based on single button presses and enemies always had a "A" "B" "X" "Y" above their head. That could make combat very repeatative. Although, knows where it could have gone.

It's too bad we won't get to see a finished product.

It's a real pity that this game will never see the light of day.

It seems like Spiderman 2 where nearly half the fun comes just from exploring your surroundings... and with the Flash your surroundings are only limited to space and the depths of the ocean.
Why'd you show us this? Now I'm bummed from not having a game like this.

RenegadeAngel:
It's a little bit like Spiderman Eeb of Shadows meets Mirror's Edge... With speed.

I saw a lot of overlap with Mirror's Edge as well...the art style and the emphasis on running. In fact, it almost looked like an expansion pack for Mirror's Edge.

FLASH AAAAAAAAAAA SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE Sorry had to be done

OT: Didn't actually look that bad I probably would have rented it and enjoyed it.

I dunno man. I'm thinking somebody took the Bungie concept of "30 seconds of fun" a little too literally. ;) While the game does look interesting, I was bored halfway through the video. He runs, he punches people ... etc. Honestly, I think The Flash is probably one of the dumbest superheroes anyway. This game could be the best game int he universe and I would probably still think it was dull.

All that running around seems very repetitive, now if they had shown the Flash using his powers in innovative ways (He has much more than just running fast) I might have been more bummed about this being killed off early

Reminds me a lot of Jet Set Radio mixed with Mirror's Edge. In fact, despite being only 6 months in development it doesn't look that much less detailed than ME.

the game look like a mash up between a quick time event and a racing game and in my books this is a no-no. if the fights are, like the video shown, «press X to smash guys face» they will be dull and a chore to execute after the third time you fight something.
is it me or running in a game really not something i would like to do? even if it's faster than a car.
sure looks like a good idea they call that one off.

Its a superhero game; we didnt miss much.

Krakyn:
I wonder if they would've incorporated Flash's ability to move every atom of himself so fast that he could phase through walls. That would be awesome.

You are a ninja, i was just about to post that thought myself.
Hopefully the Flash gets his dues soon.
There is a lot of potential here.

I wanna see this done mirrors edge style

1. EA do that
2. Hype
3.???
4.Profit

That was pretty dull to be honest. There's a damn good reason why Brash went under, and it's because they really didn't produce quality products.

So it's 6 months into development, that's pretty good for beeing "only" 6 months. The graphics though a little rough at times was pretty..umm, pretty. And that's without the 2 months of polishing that some games get. I'd probably play it ^^

But, I have to wonder. What becomes of all those game designers that design a game for months, some nearly finishes it, and then it's scraped. I think I would have been pretty upset if I worked on something for months and someone just said "heeeeeeey, what's up? Looking good there, some good ideas here. Sorry to say this though, but we ain't going to continue it anymore. Bigger projects which needs to be finished."

This seems to happen a lot lately with games in development.

The Flash has always been one of those heroes with the potential for absolute awesomeness and a lack of the will to do anything about... this guy could theoretically disintegrate enemies by taking them along for a ride at top speed or deconstruct them at a molecular level through means of vibration. But, alas, all he does is plucking kittens out of trees and occasionally punch crooks in the face.
This game looks like Sonic Unleashed meets Superman Returns meets any GTA title beyond the second one, and I could have done without any of these games. Maybe it's for the best this never got to see the light of day.

looks good!

One comment about speed tho JK2 did speed right, you slow down the environment and rise the characters speed some in that slowen down environment. For games like sonic that revolve around speed have this linked to a stamina bar so you can use it but not abuse it.

Damn...and the Flash is one of my favorite superheroes, too. Actually, he's my favorite.

Don't think its a game I'd ever have bought/played (because its not the kinda game I like) but it does look as if it could have been alright. What sent the production company under?

What, am I the only one who was reminded of Prototype when I watched this? It seriously looks just like Prototype with a speed boost and less moves to do. If it had ever came out it would probably be somewhat redundant.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here