Brian May Says Queen: Rock Band "May Happen"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Brian May Says Queen: Rock Band "May Happen"

Queen guitarist Brian May has expressed interest in doing a Queen-dedicated version of Rock Band and says discussions about making it happen are already underway.

With over 300 million albums sold worldwide, it's hard to argue that Queen isn't a hugely successful band. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Queen albums have spent a combined 1322 weeks - that's 27 years - on the U.K album charts. The band's Greatest Hits has actually outsold the Beatles' classic Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in the U.K. by well over a half-million copies.

In that light, then, a Queen-based Rock Band game doesn't seem so unlikely and May recently told the BBC it could happen. Discussions about bringing the game to life are "going on behind the scenes," he said, adding, "Yes, we're into it. I think it may happen."

May is already on the verge of being immortalized in the digital realm: He's appearing in Lego Rock Band, which comes out next month, and his enthusiasm for the genre is clear. "It's the ultimate accolade, to be portrayed in Lego," he said. "My dreams are all fulfilled now."

I like Queen but I have to admit that I'm not completely sold on this idea. May could probably speak more authoritatively on the matter than I (he's an astrophysicist with a Ph.D., after all, while I'm pretty much a high-school dropout) but is there really enough material, with enough wide-ranging appeal, to support a game similar to The Beatles: Rock Band? I could see something along the lines of Guitar Hero: Van Halen, maybe, but anything more than that seems like an awfully big reach.

On the one hand, following up The Beatles: Rock Band with Queen: Rock Band is just plain silly.

On the other hand, if the idea of you and three of your friends harmoniously singing Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't appeal to you, something's wrong with you.

YES YES YES! 3 part vocals on "Somebody to Love", my dream has come true!!!!!

Well as long as I get to finally play Bohemian Rhapsody (Gosh this guitar sounds an awful lot like a piano.) THen I will buy the game.

HardRockSamurai:

On the other hand, if the idea of you and three of your friends screeching Bohemian Rhapsody while moshing doesn't appeal to you, something's wrong with you.

Fixed that for you.

Still, suck Freddie Mercury's legend dry much?
(OOps...perhaps a little unfortunate terminology)

Isn't this going to be a bit dull for anyone but a singer?

Gah! I wish they wouldn't so this.

Just release the Queen songs as DLC for THE GAME THAT'S ALREADY OUT! I don't want to have the hassle of going out and getting a new disc and typing in loads of codes just to get the songs when I'm going to be playing the same game afterwards.

get me Fat Bottomed Girls and Bohemian Rhapsody and I'll be all over that :D

Who put this on?
It's on random.
Dianne, get Mum somewhere safe.
David, kill the Queen.

What?!
The jukebox!
How about pool?
*snap*
John, it's time at the bar.

I'm a shooting star, leaping through the sky like a tiger...

Whooooooooop, i will so buy this if it comes out. I'm a huge Queen fan.

Give me Fat Bottom Girls and Bicycle!! XD

YES!

Please....

The_root_of_all_evil:

Who put this on?
It's on random.
Dianne, get Mum somewhere safe.
David, kill the Queen.

What?!
The jukebox!
How about pool?
*snap*
John, it's time at the bar.

I'm a shooting star, leaping through the sky like a tiger...

Gotta love Shaun of the dead.

Not sure if I'd get the whole game but the ability to recreate Bohemian Rhapsody is awfully tempting. Migh actually have people wanting to sing this time around, since I normally find on Rock Band etc. the karoke spot isn't that sought after.

Malygris:

I like Queen but I have to admit that I'm not completely sold on this idea.

Not sure about international success but I can see this working very well in the UK

Awesome!!!!

I love Queen. In my opinion they're better than the Beatles. I cannot wait to see this game. I hope they put The Prophet Song, Princes of the Universe (with appropriate Highlander graphics), and the Flash Theme. Plus, they have to end the game with their version of God Save the Queen.

Davey Woo:

Just release the Queen songs as DLC for THE GAME THAT'S ALREADY OUT! I don't want to have the hassle of going out and getting a new disc and typing in loads of codes just to get the songs when I'm going to be playing the same game afterwards.

Actually, there's a pack of 10 Queen songs coming out for Rock Band as DLC next week.

time to dust off your flowery dress and hoover.

i want to break freeee...

I am my fathers daughter, and therefore am a huge Queen fan. I'd love Inuenndo (in my opinion more epic than Bohemian Rhapsody), Princes of the Universe, Show Must Go On, Hammer to Fall- fuck it- ALL OF THEM.
And the game to come bundled with the Freddie Mercury mic stand.

This could make me brake my oath to never buy any GH/RB game.

The Rockerfly:

As a guitarist, I've been a fan of Brian May's work for a long time. He's one of the ones I "borrow" from - there's plenty of guitars, bass, and drums in Queen's material as well as vocals. That said, the songs get more vocal heavy the more recent they are, as a rule. But even then, Brian May was great at fitting his guitar into the group for a song - he's doing more than you think, because he's playing more like a member of an orchestra than a member of a rock band. Actually, some of the songs would be great for a few "guitarists" to play together, as Brian May often feature harmonised, multi-tracked guitars.

I can't attest to the bass and drums directly, but the band did a few songs at a Queen tribute night once, and the bass player, drummer and I all agreed that there was more going on with the instrument parts than you think when you hear the songs on the radio.

That said, I'd buy DLC before I bought a stand-alone Rock Band/Queen game. The Beatles tracks were fun to play, but I'd rather have the songs in RB2 than the ability to have multiple vocalists. Especially as it's a guitar/drums duo in my house. Queen DLC, YES! Queen stand-alone game, "meh".

this would be so darn cool, Queen was a good band, wonder if they'll put in the Flash Gordon Soundtrack

Doggabone:

The Rockerfly:

As a guitarist, I've been a fan of Brian May's work for a long time. He's one of the ones I "borrow" from - there's plenty of guitars, bass, and drums in Queen's material as well as vocals. That said, the songs get more vocal heavy the more recent they are, as a rule. But even then, Brian May was great at fitting his guitar into the group for a song - he's doing more than you think, because he's playing more like a member of an orchestra than a member of a rock band. Actually, some of the songs would be great for a few "guitarists" to play together, as Brian May often feature harmonised, multi-tracked guitars.

I can't attest to the bass and drums directly, but the band did a few songs at a Queen tribute night once, and the bass player, drummer and I all agreed that there was more going on with the instrument parts than you think when you hear the songs on the radio.

That said, I'd buy DLC before I bought a stand-alone Rock Band/Queen game. The Beatles tracks were fun to play, but I'd rather have the songs in RB2 than the ability to have multiple vocalists. Especially as it's a guitar/drums duo in my house. Queen DLC, YES! Queen stand-alone game, "meh".

No I agree I love the parts they are in but it will result in massive blank sections for most parts of the band except the vocals

This sounds like a great idea for a DLC track pack ,as a standalone game i ain`t touching it with a barge pole

Singing Bohemian Rhapsody would be awesome. XD

I will love this game with my mouth if I can do Bohemian Rhapsody... And like every other song.

Good old fashioned lover booooyy

Davey Woo:

Already taken care of.

http://www.rbdlc.com/news/?p=2908

I sure hope that it wont happen.

I just want to see the YouTube video of a bunch of guys getting a bad score on "We Are the Champions." Delicious and hilarious irony.

The biggest problem I have with the Beatles RB was that you can only download Beatles songs through the online store. They wanted to keep the Beatles songs seperate from the rest, because it was an "iconic catalogue", so there's no cross-compatibility between the two. I can understand their desire to retain a sense of 'purity' to the catalogue, but that kinda alienates everyone who buys it from the rest of the downloadable content, and that... really sucks.

If they release a Queen RB, I'm totally down for that, just please make them cross compatible.

Ugh, this SUCKS!
Queen is way too amazing to be wasted on Rock Band and its bad gameplay.
A Guitar Hero Queen would be perfect, except for the vocals.
But there's Queen singstar already out, so it doesn't matter as much.

Madmanonfire:
Ugh, this SUCKS!

So... a game created by the original creators of Guitar Hero, and in exactly the same mould, has bad gameplay yet Guitar Hero has good gameplay?

Another victory for rational thinking!

There have been multiple ocasions where I saw "Queen" in a track list for a GH or RB game. I then ran out to the bank, robbed it so I could buy 50 copies of the game, then came home to find out it was...We are the Champions.
Ugh.
As Such, Queen:Rock Band would be instant wins, and I would buy 800 copies.
Being able to sing Bohemian Rhapsody is enough of a sell for me.

This is just brilliant, great news :D. Although the vocals would be difficult. It's pretty damn hard to match Freddie, especially on songs like Bohemian Rhapsody and Who Wants To Live Forever...

Madmanonfire:
Ugh, this SUCKS!

This made me lol.
Especially since, besides the note charts and presentation (which, I find to be tighter and more "rock-ish", respectivley, on Rock Band, but, what ever), they could basically be the same game...

Queen is one of my favorite groups. Now I want to play this!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here