BioWare Would "Love to Revisit" Jade Empire

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioWare Would "Love to Revisit" Jade Empire

Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2 are getting all the attention but BioWare's Mike Laidlaw says the studio would also "love" the opportunity to take another crack at Jade Empire.

It's been more than four years since Jade Empire first turned up on the Xbox and while it may not have had the same impact as games like Neverwinter Nights or Mass Effect, fans continue to hold out hope for more. Apparently that hope isn't entirely empty; the game is still popular with BioWare staffers and Laidlaw, the lead designer on the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins, recently said the company is interested in picking it up again at some point in the future.

"We haven't announced anything on Jade Empire 2 yet," he said when asked by Strategy Informer about the possibility of a sequel. "It's pretty much no comment. But, you know, we will certainly announce it if it's going to be coming out."

"At this point, Jade Empire is a staff favorite and a lot of us love it, so we'd love to revisit it at some point," he added. "But right now, we are very focused on Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2."

More Jade Empire? Personally I'd rather see more Baldur's Gate but that's at least in part thanks to my bitterness over the fact that it took two years for the game to come to the PC. (Which is also my excuse for having not yet bought it.) What do you think? Is Jade Empire 2 a winner or just a pleasant nerd fantasy that will never come to pass?

I don't care if it's a fantasy or a possible thing, I WANT IT NOU!!!

Then again, they could just as well make Neverwinter Nights 3. Or Neverwinter Nights Online with Obsidian, but not let them screw up again.

I'd really like Bioware to come back to Jade Empire: the first one was good, but it was made a while back in Bioware's development history, and it pales in comparison to later fare they've produced such as Mass Effect. I'd like to see what the team can do with what they've learned over the years to one of their older franchises.

I still herald Jade Empire as one of my favorite games, it was one of the earliest RPG's I remember playing. I loved it then, and I love it now.

Yay! I like Mass Effect but Jade Empire had a better setting, and I prefer Kung-Fu fighting to shooting as a cmbat system anyway (although it could have been done better in the game).

Screw Jade Empire, more Baldur's Gate!

Ahh... We are all heroes; you and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

I loved Jade Empire and would love to see a sequel!
Of course, I love every RPG Bioware has ever made. They really can't do wrong.
Heck, I still play Baldur's Gate. So much. All the time.
And I'm salivating for Dragon Age.

But I would very much be interested in a Jade Empire sequel!

Baby Tea:
They really can't do wrong.

So many times "This." I too still rock out in Baldur's Gate and Athkatla with some degree of frequency and if they gave Jade Empire another spin I'd be cheering them on every step of the way.

If it has the Black Whirlwind and another huge body count, sure. Why not?

EDIT: Oh and more Heaven sections. I love fighting the gods.

Jade Empire was... Brilliant. I preferred it even over Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect. More of it would be a very good thing (tm)

I have completed Jade Empire with every character/morality...Twice.

I would love to see a sequel considering how much more they could accomplish with todays consoles.

Malygris:
Personally I'd rather see more Baldur's Gate

Steve Dark:

Why? Don't get me wrong, I love the Baldur's Gate series to death; they're among my favourite games of all time. I love the characters and the story, and they're games which deserve to be remembered as classics.

And this is exactly why I don't want it revisited. It's perfect as it is; there's no reason to try and continue it. It was one of the best stories ever told in gaming, and it should stay that way. They shouldn't try to extend the story for no good reason, and if they're going to tell an entirely different story, then they shouldn't call it Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate is fantastic. I think it should be left that way.

NB: If BioWare themselves decided to make BG3, I would have no problem with it. Hell, I'd be delighted. It's their story, and they know what they're doing with it; they wouldn't make another one unless they were going to make it really, really good.

Random argument man:
If it has the Black Whirlwind and another huge body count, sure. Why not?

Hell yeah.
Although even he can't top the one... the onlyyy... HK-47!

I would love to have a sequel to jade empire soon

I actually enjoyed Jade Empire more than Mass Effect and KotOR. Bioware's best attempt at action RPG gameplay in my opinion and it had more whimsy than some of their other games which is also a plus for me.

A sequel would be much appreciated by me and many others, it was even better in terms of KotOR in that some of the time you can actually justify being Evil... Sometimes. Explaining why I needed to break the dam to the Trader actually gave me a great feeling of satisfaction that most moral choices don't, and that's part of the reason why Mass Effect was so good.

Jade empire was badass and the opening theme still sends shivers down my spine. If they just overhalled the combat in Jade 2 then it would be damn good right there. That's the only problem I had with Jade 1. The combat was either meh or spammable to the max. Jade empire 2 after Mass and Dragon Age? You bet your ass we would love to 'revisit' that

Jade Empire 2?... Can't wait... (maybe)

Malygris:
What do you think? Is Jade Empire 2 a winner or just a pleasant nerd fantasy that will never come to pass?

Every single BioWare game ever is a pleasant nerd fantasy. That's why they're winners.

Jade Empire was really fun to play. I hope they do revisit it. I was contemplating buying it off Steam and getting a 360 controller for the PC (I sold my old Xbox a few years ago). Yeah, I liked it that much.

There is a lot of room for improvement with that game and it's great to know BioWare realizes the potential they have sitting there with that franchise. I would love to see a more rewarding fight mechanic as it did get a little silly just running and mashing the buttons.

Arbitrary Cidin:

Malygris:
What do you think? Is Jade Empire 2 a winner or just a pleasant nerd fantasy that will never come to pass?

Every single BioWare game ever is a pleasant nerd fantasy. That's why they're winners.

Was there ever a BioWare game that wasn't a commercial and critical success?

Anachronism:

Malygris:
Personally I'd rather see more Baldur's Gate

Steve Dark:

*snip

Baldur's Gate is fantastic. I think it should be left that way.

Agreed, sort of. 2 full releases and 2 expansions have pretty much told all that needs to be told about *you* the spawn of Bhaal. However, there is certainly plenty of room in the Forgotten Realms universe for other stories though. Although at this point Bioware can almost do no wrong and is one of a few companies that I could buy a game based on company name alone and expect something good.

Dragon Age is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. And since the saga has been completed on Throne of Baal, it's a bit of an overkill to create a third Baldur's Gate. And from what I know, Atari owns the license to Baldur's Gate (I could be wrong) and other D&D video games and since Bioware is currently owned by EA, I don't think that Atari would find this idea very attractive.

If a third Baldur's Gate is created it will more than probably NOT be created by Bioware but by Obsidian. Translation=full of bloody bugs and ludicrous requirements if the company's previous games' is anything to look at (Kotor 2 and NWN 2).

As for Jade Empire, I think it is a much more possible bet than Baldur's Gate, but not a very lucrative one. Compared to Mass Effect's sales of 2+ millions, Jade Empire sold about 700k copies. Not bad, but about 1/3 of Mass Effect. I don't know whether a sequel would sell more. Personally however, I'm all for it! :D

Revisit? I'd like to visit it for the first time...

Jade Empire is one of those games I bought, but never installed. I love RPGs, but between the MMO plague and the atrocities that have since marred the genre, I'm afraid to be disappointed yet again. And so it sits there on my shelf, beside KOTOR2 and Star Force: Rogue Universe, neglected and unloved.

Steve Dark:

Ahh... We are all heroes; you and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

I think that Bioware already said they won't be returning to Baldur's gate for plenty of reasons. One of them being some silly trademark owner complication and the other being "They moved on...".

Maybe Dragon Age will be the next Baldur's Gate? At least this time theres no Diablo to leech all the spotlight.

They should make a sequel. It would give me an excuse to play the first one. :D

oliveira8:

Steve Dark:

I think that Bioware already said they won't be returning to Baldur's gate for plenty of reasons. One of them being some silly trademark owner complication and the other being "They moved on...".

Maybe Dragon Age will be the next Baldur's Gate? At least this time theres no Diablo to leech all the spotlight.

See, I don't want a Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale III. I just want MORE D&D games made using that engine. Neverwinter had its perks with the Aurora toolset and customizable everything, but at its core it wasn't so great. NWN2 sucking like Ryan Seacrest in the bathroom of a truck stop... No, Neverwinter was more MMORPG grind than RPG fun. But give me the Baldur's engine, a campaign based in Shou Lung or Chult, or maybe deep under the Moonsea during the return of Sekolah. Or of course there's the whole Thayan plot. The Realms (and by extension, the planes) offer limitless opportunity. They have the engine, they have the talent, if they can re-secure some rights to the source material, they could crank out a Baldur-style RPG every year and it would sell.

Right Boo?

I would love to forget Jade Empire. It was actually the only Bioware game I have to say I didn't like. Combat was clunky, and the story was a walk in the park compared to the multitude of side missions, all of which were not bad enough to detract from the game, but after a while of attending to every NPC's needs like a busy nanny without much advancement in the story I started to feel like the game was stagnating itself in order to keep from doing the real plot.

Jade Empire is probably one of (if not the) best RPG's I'ver ever played. I'd love to see BioWare try a similar type of gameplay style, but I don't want a Jade Empire 2. I thought the story and the world that Jade Empire was set in was wonderful, and I trust BioWare enough that, if they do decide on a sequel, I won't lament it.

Bioware is an EDMONTON developer, remember that next time you are asked which city is better, Edmonton or Calgary.(Edmonton is, btw)

I never played Jade Empire, it didn't appeal to me. Mass Effect was terrible in my opinion, the vehicular combat was impossibly bad.

Resistance205:
I still herald Jade Empire as one of my favorite games, it was one of the earliest RPG's I remember playing. I loved it then, and I love it now.

I'd like to know why you think it pales in comparison to Mass Effect?
I've played both, and enjoyed them both, but Jade Empire was alot more fun than Mass Effect when I played it.
It had so much more dirversity in the characters, the story and the battle system.
To say it pales in comparison to mass effect IMO, is wrong.

-edit- this was aimed at the guy above you, sorry for the inconvenience. I was aiming this comment at scotth266.

I liked Jade Empire. Story line was mostly figured out (hated the love plot. In there for no reason), the controls were easy to use and it had so much replay value. What could they do in the sequel?

Glefistus:
Bioware is an EDMONTON developer, remember that next time you are asked which city is better, Edmonton or Calgary.(Edmonton is, btw)

I never played Jade Empire, it didn't appeal to me. Mass Effect was terrible in my opinion, the vehicular combat was impossibly bad.

You don't need Bioware to prove Edmonton kicks Calgary's ass. It's Calgary for frak's sake. It's the Canadian equivalent of the New York vs New Jersey argument.

The only thing wrong with jade empire was that sometimes some baldur's gate type sidequests came through (do you really want to play oprah when your master is kidnapped?) and that it started an interesting morality of closed fist vs. open palm, but then ended up being just plain evil vs. good.

While I really enjoyed Jade Empire and would mind them revisiting it, could they please just focus on getting Mass Effect 2 out! I'm really hanging out for this game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here