CryEngine 3 Demo Video Will Blow Your Mind

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Let me put it this way: When CryTek says that its CryEngine 3 is "next-gen ready," it isn't kidding.

I'll admit that at least half of the above video is meant to showcase what CryEngine 3 can do to potential clients who are interested in licensing it for their games, because there's a lot of mumbo-jumbo about "Deferred Lighting" and "Integrated Voxel Objects," but let's not focus on that for the moment. Right now, we are here to look at the pretties. And it is very, very pretty.

We see examples of the engine running on the Xbox 360 and PS3 just fine - and yes, it looks stunning - but the real visual treats come when the engine shows scenes on what one can only assume is a top-of-the-line gaming PC. Yes, CryTek has been focusing intently on making CryEngine 3 scalable to run on lesser-end machines and consoles, but when you put this baby on a tiny gaming god and turn her loose? Sweet baby Moses. There's one bit of a girl running through a forest that almost approaches photorealism - though not quite there.

Some of the development tech might be interesting even to non-gamers, though - for example, the engine's ability to have edits made on the PC affect both the Xbox 360 and PS3 build of a game in real-time, which should make creating multiplatform games a bit simpler.

If you're really into the tech of it, there's a fairly in-depth analysis over at Eurogamer. Me? I'm just gonna stare at the visuals for a little while longer.

An in-game colour shader? YAY for me! Time to make everything purple!

My god...that was beautiful, we are getting closer and closer to photo-realism, it was near impossible to tell that the nature scenes were animation

That is awesome.

To bad it would absolutely murder my computer.

Oh yeah, this video is sweet and delicious.
Pardon me while I go get a towel to mop up the drool from my keyboard.

Internet Kraken:
That is awesome.

To bad it would absolutely murder my computer.

Why? If your PC can run most of the multi-platform games (Prototype or Fallout 3 come to mind), you should have no problems with CryEngine 3.

Sure, it will look the best on a high-end monster PC, but we regular schmoes will also get to see some nice stuff.

Its..... so..... pretty O_O

Mind = BLOWN

I...

Pretties...

Wow; I bet a game like Timesplitters 4 would run well on that.

hint, hint; Crytek

Meh, who needs graphics.
If you ask me they're the least important factor of a game

If this was a woman, I'd do it. Hell, its so beautiful, I'll find a way and do it anyway.

somebody pass the kleenex

The pretties, indeed. Jesus.

Duuuuuuhhhhhhh.........

Forgive me while I drown in my own drool.

One of my friends spent over 3000 pounds on his computer. It should look amazing on that monster.

I agree the part when the girl runs through the forest looks so real, and the graphics are great, developers are really reaching near-reality.

So, Crysis 2 is coming out for the console's next year. Firstly, it's going to use this engine right? Secondly, HOLY SHIT THAT'S AMAZING AND WILL BREAK MY XBOX.

...my brain just exploded

CantFaketheFunk:

Let me put it this way: When CryTek says that its CryEngine 3 is "next-gen ready," it isn't kidding.

I'll admit that at least half of the above video is meant to showcase what CryEngine 3 can do to potential clients who are interested in licensing it for their games, because there's a lot of mumbo-jumbo about "Deferred Lighting" and "Integrated Voxel Objects," but let's not focus on that for the moment. Right now, we are here to look at the pretties. And it is very, very pretty.

We see examples of the engine running on the Xbox 360 and PS3 just fine - and yes, it looks stunning - but the real visual treats come when the engine shows scenes on what one can only assume is a top-of-the-line gaming PC. Yes, CryTek has been focusing intently on making CryEngine 3 scalable to run on lesser-end machines and consoles, but when you put this baby on a tiny gaming god and turn her loose? Sweet baby Moses. There's one bit of a girl running through a forest that almost approaches photorealism - though not quite there.

Some of the development tech might be interesting even to non-gamers, though - for example, the engine's ability to have edits made on the PC affect both the Xbox 360 and PS3 build of a game in real-time, which should make creating multiplatform games a bit simpler.

If you're really into the tech of it, there's a fairly in-depth analysis over at Eurogamer. Me? I'm just gonna stare at the visuals for a little while longer.

Damn that's amazing.

One thing worries me.

What if team ninja gets ahold of it?

Tales of Golden Sun:
Meh, who needs graphics.

Gotta agree with you on this, graphics are so overra... OMG THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL.

Tales of Golden Sun:
Meh, who needs graphics.

Agreed. Unless the games are as fun to play as they are too watch then what have you really gained?

Though, I swear I thought that portrait of the guy blinking was a real person.

CantFaketheFunk:

There's one bit of a girl running through a forest that almost approaches photorealism - though not quite there.

Good. Once photorealism has been achieved, we'll finally have everyone focused on good coding and story elements instead of shiny new graphics engines, drastically improving the quality of our games.

(Not that they aren't already pretty good: it's just that I'd like to see a fundamental shift in game design to better accompany story and emotional impact: aka, the Bioware/Team ICO route.)

Holy Lords of Kobol and the Cylon God that's amazing! That just blew me away and I'm not one to usally drool over the graphics too much. Too bad you might need to use the TARDIS to run it on full, I tried to run it with a basestar and the bloody thing died on me.

All jokes aside, anyone know how well it'll run on the consoles?

I can jizz in my pants right? I really want to see an RPG made with this engine.

Most of the shots were just Crysis maps rendered in the new engine, so it didn't really blow me away like Cry Engine 2 did. Still, that water... *drools*

Can't wait to see some actual gameplay, especially with that procedural destruction.

the urban console bits were disappointing to me in that i think inFAMOUS looks BETTER in such instances.
stil owns in outdoor and on high-end PC, though

Not sure if I'd want to get a custom-built PC (since I simply REFUSE to give Microsoft money), but if I get a PS3 and an HDTV, I might have to try a game that uses this engine.

Oh..my..God..Thats so damn beautiful. But I bet no console could handle it.

If I tried this on my PC it would literally implode. LITERALLY.

This is retarded. Most people can't even use the CryEngine that's already out, let alone this. Who the hell will be able to play games made with this? Freaking NASA? My computer is fairly new and high-quality, and I can't even play Fable on it. How will Yahtzee be able to review games made with this new engine?

Only a very small minority of people will be able to play games made with this engine, let alone make some themselves.

EDIT: I didn't even consider consoles. Not even what's coming after the PS3 will be able to use this. The makers of this engine will have to make their own damn system if they want people to use it.

Meh, I prefer games with an art style other than photo-realism. Realistic games just aren't my favourite genre. While I agree that the engine is absolutely amazing, I can't help but feel there's something lacking, it has no expression, it doesn't really have any "life". If I look at a portrait done in the 16th Century it will probably look quite realistic, but not quite there. When I look at a Cubist piece of art, or a Surrealist piece it is much more interesting because it stands out - it takes you out of reality and replaces it with something far more interesting. The same applies for games. This engine takes you out of reality, then puts you back in it...the only thing that would make it more interesting is what happens in the game, but the overall look of the game still feels boring.

I would take Lostwinds over this just for its [Lostwinds'] beautiful art style, no kidding.

Obviously people will disagree with me, and someone will probably reply to this saying I'm an idiot.

Akai Shizuku:
This is retarded. Most people can't even use the CryEngine that's already out, let alone this. Who the hell will be able to play games made with this? Freaking NASA? My computer is fairly new and high-quality, and I can't even play Fable on it. How will Yahtzee be able to review games made with this new engine?

Only a very small minority of people will be able to play games made with this engine, let alone make some themselves.

Minorities generally are small, that's why they're called minorities...

I havent been this excited for gaming since the seventh grade. I'm literally in tears.

Thank you crytek, for restoring my love for video games.

I posted this yesterday, but yes it is frigging beatiful

The jungle scenes are stunning, but the CryEngine 3 does not excel in urban environments. At best, it's on the level of Killzone 2 there. (Still, that's pretty damn good.)

Mother of god, that was beautiful

*falls to knees in amazement*

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook