Natal Confirmed for Fable 3, In-Game Shop Also Planned

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Natal Confirmed for Fable 3, In-Game Shop Also Planned

Peter Molyneux has broken down and officially confirmed that Fable 3 will make use of Project Natal.

Though the universe already knew that Project Natal was likely to be integrated into Fable 3 somehow, Peter Molyneux has officially confirmed this as fact. The news came out at a recent lecture of Molyneux's which took place at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA). Molyneux reportedly also showed off Milo, the AI experiment and future ruler of time and space.

Further, Molyneux made it known that he intends to integrate an in-game shop into Fable 3, which would allow for seamless DLC purchases. Examples given for what might be offered were special weaponry priced at around $1 and "journeys" that would unlock new expansion areas. This would be a good way to let the mainstream know that extra content can be purchased online, just as long as it doesn't get too deep into micro-transaction territory (i.e horse armor).

Project Natal was unveiled at E3 earlier this year, and is Microsoft's effort in the new initiative to emulate the sales of the Nintendo Wii by getting rid of the common videogame controller. And that's just what Natal does, completely gets rid of the controller. For example, Natal allows gamers to control a racing game by pretending as if they were holding a wheel, and by moving their feet back and forth to simulate pedals. It also is a scanner of sorts, supposedly able to precisely scan real objects such as people's faces to log into Xbox Live accounts, and skateboards for use in a game.

Just what Natal will be used for in Fable 3 is still a big unknown, but if the game ends up forcing people to make chopping motions to chop wood, or the like, that will be disappointing. There is a huge amount of potential for Natal to be used in an RPG series like Fable; hopefully it won't be forced and will only be programmed in because the designers actually want it there to improve gameplay.

(Via Joystiq)

A cash shop in a game that's not some Korean MMO... I'm scared for the future. Although I know it's really just a front for the Xbox Live DLC service, stuff like $1 for extra weapons is a bit disturbing.

Did you really have to include that massive pic of Molyneux's face? I wouldn't mind if it didn't make him look like he was some gigantc monster peering through my bedroom window. Now I know how a Sim feels.

There is a huge amount of potential for Natal to be used in an RPG series like Fable

Is there? Call me conservative, but I see no aspect of an action RPG that can be improved by motion sensing.
Guess NATAL and the MMO cash shop go onto my "List of reasons not to get Fable 3"

WELL! I'll just ride away on my horse with horse armor then, while your horse gets killed by a bandit or something. SO HA!

I really like the idea of doing this, it might even make the jobs stop sucking.

My computer's really slow at loading things, so I was just going about my business, reading the OP, when BAM! Molyneux's mug pops up.

thanks Tom, I'll not be sleeping tonight :(

Bah, if it's necessary to play the game then I guess I won't be getting fable 3.

That is one huge Molyneux face! People should make totem poles with it.

As for NATAL...We've seen a world of failed Wii games that used motion sensing controls just for...well...the sake of using them.

Let us hope the same does not happen to Fable 3.

(then again...would you want a game that would have you constantly switch between an Xbox controller and real life movements?)

Beatrix:

There is a huge amount of potential for Natal to be used in an RPG series like Fable

Is there? Call me conservative, but I see no aspect of an action RPG that can be improved by motion sensing.
Guess NATAL and the MMO cash shop go onto my "List of reasons not to get Fable 3"

seconded. i would really like a list of how exactly natal could be used to enrich an rpg experience like fable, where talking has never been paramount... in fact i have trouble even understanding how you would implement natal into any rpg, without sufficiently intelligent a.i.

As much as I don't like the concept of the whole thing, I can't wait for Yahtzee to sink his teeth into some Natal games. Seeing how pissy he gets about the current state of gaming I can already imagine his face contorting in unbridled wrath while flailing around in front of his TV like a drunken robot.

Natal doesn't seem like it could work in any action game, let alone an RPG. How to you move forward back left and right? How do you turn around? How do you open the goddamn MENU? Then add on the fact that you're playing an RPG, which means that you have to interact with people an objects...I can tell you right now that it's going to feel gimmicky and unintuitive.

Good luck I guess, I really hope that it uses it well and doesn't become a cheap gimmick like so many Wii games
f not I hope you don't sell well

I play games as a hobby because it requires little physical effort for awesome things such as sword fighting and saving the world. I really don't want to have to start leaping around the room to play a game. Keep controllers!

Spleenbag:
A cash shop in a game that's not some Korean MMO... I'm scared for the future. Although I know it's really just a front for the Xbox Live DLC service, stuff like $1 for extra weapons is a bit disturbing.

That is what you find disturbing? Wow I am frightened by the "journeys" thing. Just because it is easy for me to say "hey I don't need that sword for real money."

Although I am a bit confused by this. I don't know if it the way it is worded in the article or what. Are we talking like D&D here where you essentially get a demo until you start forking out the cash. Or is this like Fable 2 where you already have the full game and DLC is added in future updates? Need more info.

I don't think the photo in this article shows off enough of Peter Molyneux's face.

I've got no intention of ever buying Natal. Or Sony's motion sensing toy either, for that matter. So if Fable 3 will require it, they've lost my purchase.

I don't like the idea of Natal. It's changing gaming from good to worse.

So, it begins.

Hey cool! Is there a "Make Lofty Promises of Greatness and Deliver on Fuck all on Any of Them" part with Natal? Oh wait! I forgot! That'll be the whole game!

I'm puzzled as well on how a motion sensor control can improve an RPG--Or any game really. All this is doing is changing how a player interacts with a game, and I personally don't see this changing the core of a game in challenging the player. Maybe some gestures could do something like "draw sword" or "open menu", but this reminds me of one of Moviebob's latest videos on "Game Overthinker" where he discusses that making controls too complicated that it's a challenge for the player to remember what hand gesture to give to the game in order to do those commands (Though I think the gesture used in telling the game what the player thinks of it would be easy to remember).

The cash shop idea is alright with me and may expand the longevity of the game a bit. Still, my thoughts on this are the same thing as I think of with Modern Warfare 2's server problem response: Why not give both as an option?

Ha ha, sorry about the disturbing face, someone else actually uploaded it i just couldn't resist. As a kid i would i would pretend to shoot fire out of my hands (I was a lonely boy) and Natal could allow for that sort of experience in-game. To some extent i think the Wii's tacked on motion controls have made us prejudiced towards the possibilities that Natal could bring. And you know maybe even tree chopping could be fun along with drawing magic sigils in the air or swinging a sword but in a more realistic way than the Wii allows, especially because natal can scan the whole body. Its possibly like virtual reality in your home if done right, the potential is there and could be fun.

Voltano:
I'm puzzled as well on how a motion sensor control can improve an RPG--Or any game really. All this is doing is changing how a player interacts with a game, and I personally don't see this changing the core of a game in challenging the player. Maybe some gestures could do something like "draw sword" or "open menu", but this reminds me of one of Moviebob's latest videos on "Game Overthinker" where he discusses that making controls too complicated that it's a challenge for the player to remember what hand gesture to give to the game in order to do those commands (Though I think the gesture used in telling the game what the player thinks of it would be easy to remember).

Well, if they're smart, developers will eventually work out a basic standard format for their genre's of choice, or make the controls fairly intuitive (like say, making a key turning motion to start a vehicle). We already sort of see this for things like FPS. I mean, right trigger is the shoot command in every 360 FPS that I'm aware of. What I'm curious about is how their going to allow the player to move is avatar about. After all, it won't exactly be practical to have the player move forward and back to get their character to do the same.

I remain incredibly skeptical of the whole Natal thing in relation to mainstream games. The problem comes from the fact that I see no way to easily turn or walk around. Say, for example that you want to turn to the right: you turn your head that direction and the view emulates your movement... but then you realize that now you can't see the screen, so you turn back and the view again emulates you and you end up facing the same way you were before. This could possibly be solved by the camera only moving when you look off screen, but that's a good way to get a neck cramp if you have to move your head twice as much as you normally would.

And the walking: the only solution I can think of is forcing the player to walk/jog in place, but for some games, that a lot of walking.

PN sounds great, and it will be really cool if devs can pull it off, but I really don't see that happening. More likely we'll just end up with a mess of casual games like the Wii.

On a side note, I'm not sure that Fable 3 is the best poster child for the Natal after Fable 2's lackluster presentation. If there was a question I could ask Molyneux: "Why the hell do two people, playing on two Xbox's, hooked up to two TV's have to share a single camera???!"

I'll give it some time before I judge the way Natal is used. More likely than not, I think it's mainly going to be used for the Dynamic Touch feature that Molyneux mentioned. Plus there's the possibility of voice recognition, so that might be used as well.

EDIT: And for the people wondering how you'll turn, walk, etc. with Natal: you'd use the analog sticks on the controller. After all, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Both Fable and Fable 2 were huge disappointments. I'll probably rent Fable 3 just to see how it makes use of Natal.

Just make it into a MMO for goodness sake.

Well, Fable 2 was my favorite RPG of last year, so...Let's wait and see how this turns out.

Ahhh! I hate that cunt! I fell in love with Fable on the PC and guess what, he screws PC gamers by making it 360 exclusive!

i hope to god that it dosent MAKE us use natal to play the game, i (like many others) have NO plans to buy it. i like the controllers and, like Yahtzee said, "who the fuck wants to come home from a long days work and start flailing your arms around like an idiot?"

Krantos:
If there was a question I could ask Molyneux: "Why the hell do two people, playing on two Xbox's, hooked up to two TV's have to share a single camera???!"

Hear hear! That was one of the biggest disappointments of the game. I was so looking forward to RPG multiplayer, and instead we got henchmen and shared screens. Most saddening. :(

LordCraigus:
Did you really have to include that massive pic of Molyneux's face? I wouldn't mind if it didn't make him look like he was some gigantc monster peering through my bedroom window. Now I know how a Sim feels.

Your post has made my day man.

DrDeath3191:

EDIT: And for the people wondering how you'll turn, walk, etc. with Natal: you'd use the analog sticks on the controller. After all, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

So you're saying that while you're standing there enjoying the free 1:1 motion capture of the Natal you're also supposed to be holding the controller? And if you're playing a game like Fable, how are you supposed to "swing" your weapon if your hands are moving the analog sticks? You'd need at least three arms or you'd need to map attack to a face button, and then what's the point of the motion capture at all?

I would say, yes the two are mutually exclusive. What's the point of motion capture if you have to use the 360 controller anyway? Besides the big selling point that MS is trying to use to differentiate between Natal, Sony and the Wii is that it is "controller free."

Hopefully they find some good uses for it. Could be really cool, I imagine. Natal shouldn't be necessary though.

Krantos:
I remain incredibly skeptical of the whole Natal thing in relation to mainstream games. The problem comes from the fact that I see no way to easily turn or walk around. Say, for example that you want to turn to the right: you turn your head that direction and the view emulates your movement... but then you realize that now you can't see the screen, so you turn back and the view again emulates you and you end up facing the same way you were before. This could possibly be solved by the camera only moving when you look off screen, but that's a good way to get a neck cramp if you have to move your head twice as much as you normally would.

You need to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

Basically, it's the reverse of your suggestion. The computer amplifies your head movements, so you only need to turn your head a tiny bit for the view to change considerably. As such, you're still looking at the screen.

And the walking: the only solution I can think of is forcing the player to walk/jog in place, but for some games, that a lot of walking.

Yeah, walking around is more difficult, although one easy solution I can see is that for most of the game, you're mounted. After all, there's nothing to say that Fable 3 might not have you start as a fairly experienced knight or noble-man. You could do most of a game from a mounted position quite easily with jousting and swordfights on horseback for instance, or perhaps in combat you "get off your mount" and then Natal imitates your movements for the fight. Player skill perhaps translating to game skill. Molyneux's experience with Black & White I think points out how magic could work.. wave your hands in a certain gesture for certain spells. The more accurate the gesture, the more powerful the spell.

I think it could definitely work, you just need a little bit of creativity in your game design. It's going to demand that game developers get outside their normal boxes.

Personally, I'd prefer if Peter did the Bioware method of DLC.

"You bought our game brand-new/didn't pirate it?
Here's a bucketload of DLC for free, because you've given us enough money already."

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here