Check Out the Dragon Age Hotties in Maxim: UPDATED

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Check Out the Dragon Age Hotties in Maxim: UPDATED

Maxim.com is offering an eyeful of the real-life ladies behind Leliana and Morrigan, two of the in-game hotties in the upcoming RPG Dragon Age: Origins.

What's a BioWare RPG without an awkward, multiple-choice romance subplot? Making it even better, this time around your potential in-game lovelies are based on the flesh-and-blood sort, specifically Victoria Johnson and "Alleykatze," otherwise known as Alexandra Stein, who portray "sneaky seductress Leliana and shapeshifting mage Morrigan." I have no idea who either of these women are; Alleykatze has an amusingly vacuous Twitter blog, but Googling Victoria Johnson is a complete non-starter.

But we're not here to know about them, or care about them, or even think about them; our only interest is in looking at them and they're adequately suited to that purpose. Hair color aside, however, I don't think either woman looks much like her Dragon Age counterpart, but if I was to pursue that line of thought I might end up suggesting that basing videogame characters on bland-looking "models" and then plastering them all over Maxim in various states of undress is little more than a cheap publicity ploy seeking to attract the horny, undersexed teenage boy demographic that's graduated from Mad Magazine but isn't quite old enough to buy Penthouse. And we wouldn't want that.

UPDATE: It turns out that while Maxim has no problem throwing up photos of anyone willing to flash a sideboob, the folks who work there want to make sure they maintain their standing with the meathead crowd. The text that originally accompanied the photos, it turns out, was a bit on the condescending side. To wit:

"Unless doing it kinky-style with your significant other, role-playing is the second nerdiest thing you could possibly do. Playing role-playing video games is No. 1, which puts Bioware's upcoming RPG Dragon Age: Origins at a severe disadvantage in the 'make us interested' category. Fortunately for them, they've got a couple of aces in the hole: sneaky seductress Leliana and shapeshifting mage Morrigan. Both are possible romantic companions in the game, but you don't have to wait until the release date to fall in love with them. We've got exclusive photos of real-life hotties Alleykatze and Victoria Johnson who lent their sexy curves to their video game counterparts."

Compare that with updated entry:

"Cut from the same cloth as their previous Baldur's Gate series, Bioware's upcoming RPG Dragon Age: Origins thrusts players into a world of magic, nobility, and bloody battles. Lots and lots of bloody battles. But, killing off seven-story tall dragons and no play makes one's game character a dull boy (or girl). Fortunately, the developers included a couple of ways allowing one's avatar let off some virtual steam: sneaky seductress Leliana and shapeshifting mage Morrigan. Both are possible romantic companions in the game-the second best kind of sex, next to the real thing!-but you don't have to wait until the release date to fall in love with them. We've got exclusive photos of real-life hotties Alleykatze and Victoria Johnson who lent their sexy curves to their video game counterparts. That's some levelling up we can all get behind!"

As GameBane's Bryan Sharp pointed out, it's hard to say whether EA "asked" Maxim to tone it down or the site just realized that alienating a potentially large portion of its audience was, you know, really stupid. Whatever the case, it's reassuring to know that no matter what the subject matter may be, a little bit of skin on a generically attractive woman is enough to make the great minds at Maxim "interested."

Maxim has done loads of these stunts though. Weren't they the ones that did the search for the RL Bayonetta; the hottest game babes of 2008 and turned up as a replacement for EGM?

Classy guys here.

I agree; the models look like their Dragon Age counterparts to the extent that they're female with similar hair colours. It reminds me of when the first Lara Croft model came into the public eye but of course you're right, it cant possibly be a marketing ploy aimed to excite young men (and, lets be fair, women) across the globe.

Am I the only one who really can't take female characters in fantasy games seriously?

The characters are always too slender and delicate to use a weapon in real life, it's just laughable.

OT: I always thought the women in Dragon Age looked pretty plain anyway...

The girl on the right is fit as fuck. The CGI one on the left looks moody and constipated.

So...I'm supposed to be attracted to the one on the left?...Why exactly?

Wow. Ok its pretty obvious that the Edmonton branch of BioWare isn't handling the model/character conversion, mostly because there aren't any women that hot in this city. (Thats right, I said it.)

I kind of hope I'm wrong, but those two look a little too "LA" for the Canadian prairies...

And I STILL wanna work for BioWare (Keeps fingers crossed)

Actually Victoria Johnson and her CGI counterpart in the recent trailer look strikingly similar. Oddly none of the comparison shots used are from the recent trailer and instead favor the gameplay renders, all of which look inhuman at best.

It may have worked better if theyd started out cosplaying their characters and then starting to get undressed (not really needed with Morrigan) but they dont look that similar....maybe if you used the CGI videos to compare

who cares anywat they are hot girls associated to a videogame. gotta love those marketing ploys!

this is a big issue why? we get to stare at boobies, there should never be a big and great reason for the greatest thing since the invention of .... well ..... anything

Thank you BioWare.

Thank you.

You know what? For some reason, I almost wish that the character in that picture had bigger breasts.

Probably because she'd look almost exactly like the black mage from FFX.

The character models in Dragon Age look kinda ugly and stiff.

*has just looked at the lasses twitter*

Here's a brief flavour

# played croquet and was not too bad.. thinkin about smashing geese at the park with a mallet made it a lil more enjoyable. they are soo mean9:53 PM Aug 16th from web

# watching dumb movies cuz i got too stressed bout being social1:59 AM May 25th from mobile web

Surprisingly none about her latest attempt at sudoku.

The Infamous Scamola:
The character models in Dragon Age look kinda ugly and stiff.

Dunno what you're on about. My dwarf warrior with a huge white beard is the epitome of sex.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Here's a brief flavour

# played croquet and was not too bad.. thinkin about smashing geese at the park with a mallet made it a lil more enjoyable. they are soo mean9:53 PM Aug 16th from web

# watching dumb movies cuz i got too stressed bout being social1:59 AM May 25th from mobile web

To be fair to her, Sudoku is the stupid man's maths puzzle generally. Oh sure, the super high level ones are hard but the kind you get in the newspaper on the bus to work isn't challenging so much as a way to pass the time.

Not cool about her hitting geese with a mallet though ;< What did they ever do to her? Bitch.

Wow, CGI has a huge fricken manjaw. Looks more like it was modeled after Hillary Swank.

DannyBoy451:
Am I the only one who really can't take female characters in fantasy games seriously?

The characters are always too slender and delicate to use a weapon in real life, it's just laughable.

OT: I always thought the women in Dragon Age looked pretty plain anyway...

I'd play females in video games far more if they looked like that.

Nice to see Bioware ignoring females and gay men in their advertising. Men of Dragon Age, anyone? Then again, I played around with the character creator for Dragon Age and I wasn't really impressed with the character models. Something seems off about them, I can't really figure out what though.

What the hell is wrong with Bioware and their stupid advertising? They seem to try to market the game to the wrong people.

HK_01:
What the hell is wrong with Bioware and their stupid advertising? They seem to try to market the game to the wrong people.

That's because the "right" people probably already know what the game is and will buy it regardless of the ad campaigns.

Rule 32 in action.

thenumberthirteen:
Rule 32 in action.

What?

Don't you mean rule 34? Rule 32 is about using pictures instead of words.

vivaldiscool:

HK_01:

That's because the "right" people probably already know what the game is and will buy it regardless of the ad campaigns.

Yes, but the other people will expect a completely different game when they see the trailers and such. Plus, I'm not so sure what I should think of this game, they're really confusing me.

thenumberthirteen:
Rule 32 in action.

For someone with a Guido Fawkes mask as an avatar, getting that wrong must be quite embarassing for you.

I'm still going to buy it.

I'm not attracted to virtual women, the one on the right however..........

...I love how people are blaming BioWare for Maxim doing a cover on the "hotties" in their game.

Also, a small note, in the case of a rogue or a mage of either gender, they're more likely to be slender then bulky. Lean muscle tends to form more when you're being built for speed rather then power, and mages just aren't the physical type.

I wish RPGs had romance on the same level as The Legend of Zelda series. Which is to say almost none whatsoever, but you still get to save the princess. Or even Half-Life 2, implied and everything, but still meaningfully to the game.

Ammadessi:
Nice to see Bioware ignoring females and gay men in their advertising. Men of Dragon Age, anyone? Then again, I played around with the character creator for Dragon Age and I wasn't really impressed with the character models. Something seems off about them, I can't really figure out what though.

HK_01:

Bioware advertising? You mean EA right? I'm not sure to what extent Bioware has control over the marketing of their games.

But I do agree. Whoever is doing the marketing for this game is doing a terrible job. (Marilyn Manson? Really? I guess it's not too bad if you cut out the parts where he sings.) I'm still looking forward to the game, however.

Amnestic:

Not cool about her hitting geese with a mallet though ;< What did they ever do to her? Bitch.

Perhaps she just can't juggle.

The way the gaming industry is evolving is almost enough to make me cry. That is; however, if it hadn't already killed the part that cared long ago.

Whether BioWare/EA initiated or merely sanctioned this article, they will have had a hand in it. My faith, therefore, takes a hit that a company that I believed to able to market itself as one of the last bastions of unique (although this verb may need to be removed soon) story telling is now happy for this to occur.

Call me a prude (of which I certainly am not), but you have to accept my point: A market is on the decline when it's entire marketing structure is leaning towards only catering to our most primal of thought patterns.

A market, that instead of trying to apply to the more sophisticated of its installed base, seeks to demean them. A market that is perpuating it's own suicide.

I may be jumping the gun, and turning into an apocolypse predicter here, but looking how things have turned I can't see it as sustainable. I refuse to believe the human race is becoming more stupid as a whole, but I can certainly see why one would.

Don't judge this game on its substance, judge it on its appearance. Judge the girl not on her credentials but on her fuckability. We all know the attitude of the girl who knows she is lusted after by all; so, so shallow.

Our games will soon become this way. But maybe the world will be happy after all; it's come to rise because there's a demand, hasn't it?

so what now? Boycott BioWare for their objectification of women?

Amnestic:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Here's a brief flavour

To be fair to her, Sudoku is the stupid man's maths puzzle generally. Oh sure, the super high level ones are hard but the kind you get in the newspaper on the bus to work isn't challenging so much as a way to pass the time.

honestly i think less of people who do sudoku. Sudoku is like the reality TV of abstract logic puzzles. Give me a Nurikabe or a Heyawake any day.

Amnestic:

now now, her new kitten is apparently very sick and she seems awfully broken up over that.

pneuma08:

Ammadessi:

HK_01:

Bioware advertising? You mean EA right? I'm not sure to what extent Bioware has control over the marketing of their games.

But I do agree. Whoever is doing the marketing for this game is doing a terrible job. (Marilyn Manson? Really? I guess it's not too bad if you cut out the parts where he sings.) I'm still looking forward to the game, however.

EA then, either way as you said, the marketing sucks.

cainx10a:
so what now? Boycott BioWare for their objectification of women?

If we boycotted every single game that objectified women there'd be nothing left to play other than Tetris.

Amnestic:

thenumberthirteen:
Rule 32 in action.

For someone with a Guido Fawkes mask as an avatar, getting that wrong must be quite embarassing for you.

Epic Fail Guy strikes again.

Only 3 more years to go before I can buy one.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here