No Installation for Final Fantasy XIII PS3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No Installation for Final Fantasy XIII PS3

Worried that a game as big as Final Fantasy XIII will require a four-hour install on the PS3? Nope - in fact, it won't require an installation at all.

Though for most games it's hardly an issue, that pesky PS3 install time has been a little niggling thorn in the console's side since its launch in 2006. After all, the major advantage that console gaming has over PC gaming is its accessibility - you pop in the disc, you press start, you're on your way to gaming heaven! Having to wait 20 minutes for Dante to get his ass in gear, or having to watch Solid Snake contract cancer in between every act in MGS4 puts some people off.

Some developers have attempted to ameliorate the issue by using the install time for handy-dandy story information, while Sony has done its part to reduce the install times on the PS3 Slim. And then there's Square-Enix's Final Fantasy XIII which got around the problem of installation times in a very simple way: It doesn't have any, Square's Motomu Toriyama told IGN.

Toriyama also shared some technical details on the game. Save data will take up 500KB. Trophy data takes up 3,080KB (yes, it looks like the game supports Trophies!). In case you were stocking up munitions for a big system wars battle, there won't be a hard disk installation.

Worried about load times? Don't be. The only time you'll see load times is when you transition from town to field. Once you're out on the field, the game is seamless. Toriyama explained that the game's tech staff tackled loading early on in order to keep the experience as smooth as possible.

Other FF13 information from Toriyama and Tetsuya "Nananananananana, Beltman!" Nomura includes this: Sexy femme fatale villainess Oerba Yun Fang was originally planned as a male, but was changed to a female later down the line - and was given a "sexy quality" that had been removed from main protagonist Lightning. Because Evil is Sexy, don'tcha know. Token black guy Sazh was originally more ridiculous - yes, he has a funny afro which houses a baby Chocobo, but he was going to originally wear a hat over it - and naturally, there will be a Cid. He didn't say that outright, but "a familiar Final Fantasy character"? Who else could that be?

But then again, saying that a Final Fantasy game will have a character named Cid who works with airships is like saying that the main character will be extremely androgynous, use a sword, have ridiculous hair, and tackle some sort of final apocalyptic evil.

You know what I'm thinking? How about in the next generation of consoles we forget entirely about upgrading the graphics and just completely eliminate all load and install times. Maybe we could go back to cartridges? We could probably fit a PS3 game on a cart the size of a GBA game.

Hm.

Yet another reason to get 'dat ps triple' as they call it.

FFXIII has no PC version, but I'm glad they don't have to wait for install times.
Hell, sometimes -I- don't wanna wait for install times. :P

Valiance:

Do people actually say that...?

Would you think me odd if I thought this sounded a bit too good to be true? I mean, NO load times? Final Fantasy has always had pauses between in-game cinematics and cutscenes that always destroyed the momentum and bugged the crap out of me. They never really had any big, long loads... but they had hundreds of pesky little ones

CantFaketheFunk:
He didn't say that outright, but "a familiar Final Fantasy character"? Who else could that be?

Gilgamesh?

I don't see this catching on, since it obviously is an action with thought to the players. What are they thinking? That isn't the way to design a game!

Nimbus:

Valiance:

Do people actually say that...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo5rSIdfVOU&feature=related

I suppose you never saw that. First I raged, and then I lol'd, and now I sigh and just call the ps3 the PS triple...

Is it just me or does the quote seem suspicious?

They are talking about eliminating installation times but the quote is about load times during moving from the field to city and vice versa. Are they sure that they are talking about the same thing?

Nimbus:
Maybe we could go back to cartridges? We could probably fit a PS3 game on a cart the size of a GBA game.

hardly, the storage capacity of cartridges really sux.

anyways the PS3 is already capable of having a game without loading, both Uncharted and Uncharted 2 have no load times except for when you start the game

wonder how the load times with the 360 will be, i'm thinking it won't be pretty either that or it will need an install for the game cause i'm sure it will be multi-disc

So with the PS's slower read times iirc will this mean agonizing 20 sec loads when transitioning?

Stop linking me to tvtropes! :P I need my life!

cleverlymadeup:

Are you kidding me? I've seen 8GB carts the size of my pinky finger's nail.

FoolKiller:
Is it just me or does the quote seem suspicious?

They are talking about eliminating installation times but the quote is about load times during moving from the field to city and vice versa. Are they sure that they are talking about the same thing?

Updated the quote to better reflect the article.

YES! As the owner of a pathetic 40 gig PS3, this greatly pleases me and an install was going to make me not buy this game, however, I'm officially going to buy it now.

Random argument man:

CantFaketheFunk:
He didn't say that outright, but "a familiar Final Fantasy character"? Who else could that be?

Gilgamesh?

Cloud?

Nimbus:
You know what I'm thinking? How about in the next generation of consoles we forget entirely about upgrading the graphics and just completely eliminate all load and install times. Maybe we could go back to cartridges? We could probably fit a PS3 game on a cart the size of a GBA game.

YES!

Cartridges are MUCH more durable, too!

busterkeatonrules:

Random argument man:

CantFaketheFunk:

Gilgamesh?

Cloud?

You're both way off. It's obviously Wedge looking for Biggs! We haven't seen either of them for a while.

OT: Yet another reason to get a PS3, yet again nothing to get it with. Oh well. College takes priority.

I really hope Sazh turns out to be a good character. You hardly ever see black people represented well in Japanese media (or Americans for that matter).

While the removal of installation is a step in the right direction, I can guarantee that loading between one area and another will take at least 30 seconds. Still I can laugh at all the fools who buy FF XIII on the 360 with it's ten discs! Bwa ha ha ha! In all seriousness though, I hate that they are porting it, Square said the game could've had a worldwide release if not for the Xbox port. Anywho as long as the loading times are nothing like The Force Unleashed, I'll be happy.

Magnatek:

busterkeatonrules:

Random argument man:

CantFaketheFunk:

Gilgamesh?

Cloud?

You're both way off. It's obviously Wedge looking for Biggs! We haven't seen either of them for a while.

OT: Yet another reason to get a PS3, yet again nothing to get it with. Oh well. College takes priority.

Makes sense. Still would appreciate Gilgamesh, but you're right. We need a Biggs and Wedge.

Well, they finally did it. Clap clap, square.

My guess is they secretly hid all the loading times in the lengthy dialogue scenes.

Good to know, and hasn't there been quite a change recently with Killzone 2 requiring no large install though apparently the Hard-drive IS used, but only many small caches and only a couple hundred MB at a time. Did Uncharted: Drake's Fortune need an install? I know Uncharted 2 doesn't.

It's strange that third party games released on PS3 and 360 all to often require massive installs and still look inferior to the 360 version. The recent Ghostbusters game being the worst example. This is the case with so many third party developers.

But it looks like Square have really put the effort in here to get the most out of PS3. The HDD is a crutch that is easy to lean on, they have clearly put a lot of effort into optimising the code which means I'll probably be getting the PS3 version of FFXIII rather than 360 version, even though I normally get the 360 version of multiplat games.

I just hope this trend with third party developers continues.

Nimbus:

cleverlymadeup:

yeah and the 50+ gigs a blu-ray can hold will make the cartridge too expensive. also producing 8 gig carts isn't that cheap

not having to install this game is a great idea

I'm getting this game for the ps3

Valiance:
Hm.

FFXIII has no PC version, but I'm glad they don't have to wait for install times.
Hell, sometimes -I- don't wanna wait for install times. :P

Didn't know it wasn't a PC release, nevermind i'll emulate it in 5 years time :)

Blimey, how did Squarenix manage to pull that one off with all the pretty graphics? I shall never understand the techinicalities of gaming... oh wells, more for me to enjoy I guess!

SirBryghtside:

CantFaketheFunk:
Worried about load times? Don't be. The only time you'll see load times is when you transition from town to field.

I wonder how long those will be...

*Image pops into head of Cloud contracting cancer*

Well... Cloud WAS addicted to Mako...
That's a start.

OT: That's good to hear. Although I was never really off-put by install times to begin with, it's a great idea to exclude them.

CantFaketheFunk:

You may be right on the money betting it's Cid, Funk.
That, or it's more happless fan service of Cloud Strife & Pals.
Or perhaps it's Tidus. Let's pray it is not Tidus.

Well, it has been in developement for aaages. Hasn't it broke a record or something?

JenXXXJen:
Well, it has been in developement for aaages. Hasn't it broke a record or something?

no. Also thats dumb it's no where near as long as it's taken multiple games to come out, off the top of my head DNF

anyway this is nice, hope the same courtesy is extended to our 360 bretheren. if not.

>.>
<.<

Haaaaaaaaaaaa...

Onmi:

JenXXXJen:

no. Also thats dumb it's no where near as long as it's taken multiple games to come out, off the top of my head DNF

anyway this is nice, hope the same courtesy is extended to our 360 bretheren. if not.

>.>
<.<

Haaaaaaaaaaaa...

Toouuuchy

Although I was a little unsure about that, 7 years is still pretty long. And wasn't DNF cancelled? Oh whatever, who cares.

As long as the game is worth it I don't care how long it takes.

CantFaketheFunk:
Because Evil is Sexy, don'tcha know.

Sarah Palin joke?

I'm only curious because she said that a lot. By most accounts she was attractive and by most accounts she was pretty...well...

You get my point.

Magnatek:

busterkeatonrules:

Random argument man:

CantFaketheFunk:

Gilgamesh?

Cloud?

I thought there was someone named Biggs and Wedge in every single Final Fantasy Game?

Nimbus:

cleverlymadeup:

I stand corrected, they are up to 32 GB. The 64 and 128 will be something with a different name.

The 32 GB is called a Micro SDHC I believe.

Just not commercially available yet to my knowledge.

cleverlymadeup:

Nimbus:

cleverlymadeup:

yeah and the 50+ gigs a blu-ray can hold will make the cartridge too expensive. also producing 8 gig carts isn't that cheap

You are missing the fact that a blu-ray is fragile, the durability of SD cards is second to none in storable tiny media. I've put a few of mine through the wash on accident and they got the shit slapped and washed out of them. Came out working fine.

Whoo?

I still hate Enix for the bloody port.

DAMNED 360, DRAGGING US DOWN!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook