1000 Cell Phones Play Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

1000 Cell Phones Play Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture"

1,000 mobile phones, 53 different ringtone alerts and over 2,000 text messages combine to reconstruct Tchaikovsky's famous "1812 Overture" in one of the coolest cell phone advertisements I've ever seen.

I lack the words to describe this advertisement from Vodafone New Zealand, called simply "Symphonia," other than this: "Holy crap." (Yes, you can quote me on that if you want) It starts out a bit slow, and you might feel skeptical initially - as I did - but once the song kicks in, it's what Californians would describe as "hella impressive."

To see the work that went into making this kickass commercial, Vodafone has posted a "Making Of" video, found in two parts here and here. I could say more about this impressive commercial, but really... I don't want to ruin the moment.

As much as I hate to agree with Youtube commenters, one of the ones on there has it right.

"What a horrible execution of a great idea."

Seriously. That was to Tchaikovsky what the Bush Administration was to intelligence. It's an excellent idea, but it came up wayyy short in my opinion.

That's some crazy production value/time for such a short commercial. Creative nonetheless.

Why didnt they just have the one phone with the actual song as it's ringtone?

Nice Idea, but its only a passing semblance to the tune itself, only recognisable in parts.
I need my cannons!

A big, huge, large, gigantic.... "meh". Talk about being easily impressed.

Pretty damn clever, I bow my hat to that

impressive in theory, 1000 different ringtones blending together to make a symphony, great idea, but this was just beebs and blobs which at a few seconds sounded kinda like 1812 overture.

i fail to see what impressed you so much mr. funk, maybe its the mmo mindset, seeing so many things almost working together must be beautiful when your used to see 25 guys failing at right clicking within the same 2 min period.

I liked it.

That was pretty impressive, though doesn't beat the car-cake for me.

There's only two words to describe that, Frigging Awesome! I mean damn that must have taken some serious planning to pull off. Hope it wasn't faked cause then that would make its awesome factor disappear.

Aww... I was hoping it would hit the section of music just after that. The rousing intro was okay, but the epic finish is why I have that piece on my MP3 player. But I am liking the creativity in some of the advertisements that are popping up on YouTube these days. They're a lot better than the drudgery of crap that plays on my television.

I give them credit, it was pretty cool.

CptPanda29:

or one thousands cell phones with the ringtone?

Too much time comes o mind. But none th eless, that was holy crap worthy!

Honestly, I was expecting more.
Creative? Yes, definitely. Amazing? Kinda. Stunning? I wouldn'g go that far.

It was alright but it was off, give me the original version over this any day

Theory: A+

Execution: D-

A for effort, C for execution

Slow newsday, eh?

Gushing over a cell-phone advert? Really?

Timelord91:
Theory: A+

Execution: D-

Very much agreed.

Very cool.

Creative, but it sounded horrible.

Maybe because I haven't ever heard of this song?

Disgusting.

Just disgusting.

CptPanda29:

Because making it out of lots of different ones was so much more impresive.

It seemed a little... Bad.

Now, I know its on Cell-Phones, but they could have made it sound, I dunno. Not retarded.

Shame, I was hoping to use the word 'braingasm' but it was such a let down.

Urgh....

Fantastic concept, but it sounds shit, to be fair....

"Hella" is a northern California thing. A lot of California finds it at lame as the rest of the country does. :P

I've never heard anyone use the word "hella" except perhaps jokingly and I've lived in California for about 8 years now.

Agree that the concept is cool but the execution really falls flat. I'd have never recognized that as 1812 if I hadn't been told.

And thus the criticisms come forth immediately.

Never mind that this is original, something that actually relates to the subject material (read: an advert for phones with phones in it instead of some other nonsense) and is incredibly ambitious.

No; the thread becomes full of comments such as "I wouldn't recognise it if I wasn't told". Expecting mobile phone messaging tones to bear a completely perfect interpretation to a fully orchestric piece.

More and more I lose faith in so much, and so many people wonder why industries are unwilling to take risks in any medium, why they cater to proven entities that came before.

Because YOU exist, the idiots of the world. The idiots of the world that immediately dog something without thinking of the layers behind it.

Mobile phones are a cancer and generally speaking, people who use them are idiots. When I go to a library, I am (oddly enough) not interested in hearing about someone telling their friend 'Fred' how their day went in a over-loud voice. The simple fact that they're carrying on a phone call in a library makes me wish it were legal to beat them unconscious.

A law was recently passed making cellphone use in a car illegal, because people were texting each other.

Texting.

In a moving car.

That they're driving.

Speaking of 'idiots of the world'...

Commander Breetai:
Mobile phones are a cancer and generally speaking, people who use them are idiots. When I go to a library, I am (oddly enough) not interested in hearing about someone telling their friend 'Fred' how their day went in a over-loud voice. The simple fact that they're carrying on a phone call in a library makes me wish it were legal to beat them unconscious.

A law was recently passed making cellphone use in a car illegal, because people were texting each other.

Texting.

In a moving car.

That they're driving.

Speaking of 'idoits of the world'...

You've spelt idiot wrong.

And I fixed it.

Two seconds later.

Stimpy.

Awww man, they butchered it. That's one of my favorite pieces of classical music, and they frakked it up so bad my ears feel bleedy.

And yes Bobcat above me is right, here comes the criticism, but he fails to realize that originality does not equal good. Originality plus talent, maybe, but what I heard from that clip truly does not sound like the 1812 Overture. It was cut short, off key, and basically a cacophony of irritating sounds.

If that makes me an idiot, so be it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.