US Champ Talks Super Street Fighter IV

Pages 1 2 NEXT

US Champ Talks Super Street Fighter IV

America's top Street Fighter IV player has shards his thoughts about the new additions coming in the imminent update.

Justin Wong, the best Street Fighter IV player in the US, spoke with IGN about his thoughts on the new additions to the SFIV roster. Talking at the 'Fight Club' organized by Capcom in New York yesterday, he weighed in on returning fighter Dee Jay, as well as the brand new Juri, and answered a few questions about Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and Super Smash Brothers.

"She's very unique," he said about new Korean fighter Juri, "she's not like any other Street Fighter character that Capcom has ever made ... She has a lot more tricks. She has a purple aura with her moves. She's a fast character but with low life because she's so fast. But other than that I feel like she's a character with a lot of tricks and has one of the prettiest ultras in the game."

Justin also got a chance to play as Dee Jay, and felt that he was a better fit in Street Fighter IV than he had been in Street Fighter II: "When he was first released in Super Street Fighter, I didn't like him. But when Street Fighter IV came out, I thought if Dee Jay was in the game he would be a good Street Fighter IV character because the style he had in the other game was as a Street Fighter IV character."

Justin also played Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, but while he likes the game, he was unsure that it would ever be a hit on the tournament circuit: "Wii systems are not very tournament-worthy unless it's for Super Smash Bros ...I don't like Super Smash Bros. at all ... Smash Bros. is more like a family game."

Smash bros as a family game eh?......I always thought of it of a party-fighting game.

I like Smash Bros., but it'd be even better if they didn't let Sakurai anywhere near the series if they decide to continue it.

everything he said is voided because he said SSB is a family game.

vampirekid.13:

Everything YOU say is voided because you go against the TOP SF4 player IN THE WORLD. If anything you should be bowing down and kissing Justin Wong's feet, because in all actuality you will NEVER be as awesome as he is.

(I also agree with what he said about SSB, even though i am a fan.)

SSBB is a party game. Sakurai himself even said that when developing it, he thought of it as a party game, not a fighting game.

If you put the fighting games in the world into "schools" Brawl is kindergarten level. Dead or Alive is elementary school, Street Fighter is high school, Tekken is university.

nilcypher:
America's top Street Fighter IV player has shares his thoughts about the new additions coming in the imminent update.

'Has shares his...'?

I'm not much for Street Fighter, but new games and updates are always interesting.

ToonLink:

vampirekid.13:

Everything YOU say is voided because you go against the TOP SF4 player IN THE WORLD. If anything you should be bowing down and kissing Justin Wong's feet, because in all actuality you will NEVER be as awesome as he is.

And we're supposed to be impressed? As far as I know, his opinion isn't better than ours, champ or not. By the way, he's the US champion, not world champion.

ToonLink:

vampirekid.13:

Idolizing a guy who is good at one game... wtf? He's better than other people because of that? ...really now?

Champ? At what, having no life?

Alright, that was a low blow. Still, if I was the "champ" at any kind of video game, I don't think I'd let everyone know my name. I'd go under a superhero name like, "Nintendo Boy!".

ToonLink:

vampirekid.13:

I'm pretty bitchin' at Flicky, but I don't expect you to make a statue of me do I?

I'll expect that when I rule over the world though, preferably made of diamond.

Also, I don't think he's best in the world. Just the US. Otherwise I'm fairly certain Nil would have said "World Champ".

I saw his match against Daigo.. Man, Daigo got his ass whooped.

Sparrow:

Alright, that was a low blow. Still, if I was the "champ" at any kind of video game, I don't think I'd let everyone know my name. I'd go under a superhero name like, "Nintendo Boy!".

I'd do the exact same thing. :/

Never really liked SSB since they nerf'd Ness after the first game.

I'd call SSB more of a party game than a family game, but I guess those can be equivalent in some people's books. The fact of the matter is that the game has horrible character balance at high level play. Plus, it's filled with random elements that are only fun for people who enjoy it for novelty or spectacle instead of depth or challenge.

Nincompoop:

nilcypher:
America's top Street Fighter IV player has shares his thoughts about the new additions coming in the imminent update.

'Has shares his...'?

I'm not much for Street Fighter, but new games and updates are always interesting.

Fortunately, they've since corrected it to say "has shards his."

OT: That's nice. I can see myself punching this guy in the face if I ever met him.

ohgodalex:

Nincompoop:

nilcypher:

'Has shares his...'?

Utter and complete failure, if I do say so myself.

Sparrow:

The guy earns a fair bit money doing something he enjoys, where's the shame in that? Tournament play is really popular in Japan and quite popular throughout the rest of the world.

You should see the Koreans with their Starcraft.

Dudeakoff:

Sparrow:

The guy earns a fair bit money doing something he enjoys, where's the shame in that? Tournament play is really popular in Japan and quite popular throughout the rest of the world.

You should see the Koreans with their Starcraft.

Because people like me make fun of him, becuase he most likely has near to no life.

And plus, what if his girlfriend google'd him or something? That's not exactly going to be a turn on is it?

Quadtrix:
I like Smash Bros., but it'd be even better if they didn't let Sakurai anywhere near the series if they decide to continue it.

Why would you not let the creator of the series continue to work on it.

On topic.
What he said about SSB series in false and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom in tournament worthy (even though I hate tournaments)

ToonLink:

vampirekid.13:

Pretty sure that Daigo's at the top, or maybe Iyo. Anyways I saw her Ultra and I think it looks cool, but it would get incredibly annoying if you're trying to finish her hard trials.

ae86gamer:
I saw his match against Daigo.. Man, Daigo got his ass whooped.

Sparrow:

I'd do the exact same thing. :/

Umm...is that a typo? Because I watched the evo tourny finals and Daigo won the match. and calling it a match seems pretty generous, because frankly...it was a slaughter.

dudeman0001:

ToonLink:

vampirekid.13:

Pretty sure that Daigo's at the top, or maybe Iyo. Anyways I saw her Ultra and I think it looks cool, but it would get incredibly annoying if you're trying to finish her hard trials.

Because he stopped being good at making them, obviously. He can't make a balanced roster of characters, he can't do online play worth shit, and he lost the ability to make a game that can be played both casually and professionally (Random tripping pretty much meant you had to play a casual match every time).

Random argument man:
Smash bros as a family game eh?......I always thought of it of a party-fighting game.

Same here.(im the only one in my family who likes it sniff sniff.)
Street fighter to me is a good technical fighting game but i like Crazy, wild fighters like Marvel VS Capcom.

Eh....SFIV is nice, and SSFIV looks like Capcom is going to continue Capcom's "umptine bazillion prefixes" release scheme for the series, but I still don't care really. DoA has always been my fighter of choice.

And if Team Ninja don't get on with making DOA5, someone is going to die.

vampirekid.13:

Except that it is. Or at the very least it's a party game. It really isn't a fighter in the traditional sense and the constant efforts to change SSBB at the high levels of play to almost a carbon copy of SF or any traditional fighter are laughable. Changes to the tournament format made by the community are made by top level players bullying the community into what they want. And they go so far as to ban characters, stages and game play features making the game unlike Smash.

Smash Bros. Tournament level players are not really respected in the fighting game community from what I understand. Partially because the games really don't play like actual fighting games, but mostly because tournament "smash" players are unbelievably whiny and complain about so many things.

As far as SFIV goes. It's a good game, but I've pretty much abandoned fighting games as anything but a diversion. I don't have the time or inclination to play to that skill level. But at least SSFIV looks pretty cool, I might pick it up.

nilcypher:
Smash Bros. is more like a family game."

Credibility = Gone. I swear man he should know far better than to say something like that. When was the last time you saw aunt Linda perform a wavedash?

Quadtrix:

dudeman0001:

ToonLink:

vampirekid.13:

Because he stopped being good at making them, obviously. He can't make a balanced roster of characters, he can't do online play worth shit, and he lost the ability to make a game that can be played both casually and professionally (Random tripping pretty much meant you had to play a casual match every time).

Who? Sakurai? And that thing needed dedicated servers, they should have known better. I mean Soul Calibur IV's online (and others such as Tekken 5 DR) is horrendous and that's just between 2 people.

ChromeAlchemist:

nilcypher:

Credibility = Gone. I swear man he should know far better than to say something like that

i couldn't agree more myself. didn't Yahtzee say something like all fighting games have the same flaw of a person being able to know all the moves and still be beat by a button masher? I've actually done that! Not the first thing but beat a pro by button mashing. Afterwards he called me a cheat. This "champ" im sorry, "chump" reminds of me the douche from the transformer movies who said "fuck the wii".

Credibility was gone with how unintelligent his comments sounded.

For those that acctauly have meet Jwong, you'll know that hes a fucking monster of a player. He can counter your counter before you thought of pressing the buttons. He is super safe and if you leave yourself open for a second, you will loose. Right then and there. Although Umehara and Santhrax beat him at evo, he is still a champion. Hes a nice guy too, but rather simple. But i dont think his comments about Juri are that deep because he hasn't seen much from her, and most of the stuff that matters would just go over the heads of most people (frame advantage, zoning, etc)

shadowstriker86:

ChromeAlchemist:

nilcypher:

Credibility = Gone. I swear man he should know far better than to say something like that

i couldn't agree more myself. didn't Yahtzee say something like all fighting games have the same flaw of a person being able to know all the moves and still be beat by a button masher? I've actually done that! Not the first thing but beat a pro by button mashing. Afterwards he called me a cheat. This "champ" im sorry, "chump" reminds of me the douche from the transformer movies who said "fuck the wii".

Also, anyone how thinks button mashing will work is a fucking moron who knows nothing about fighting games. And even the people who claim to know how to play dont know shit about the importaint things. They dont know anyting about mind games, mix-ups, resets, character match ups, footsies, spacing, yomi, or half of the shit that makes you a good player. There is much more to the game then the game itself.
Also, when it comes to SSBB, he does play a bit, he just doesn't like the game that much. Not that big a deal.

dudeman0001:

Umm...is that a typo? Because I watched the evo tourny finals and Daigo won the match. and calling it a match seems pretty generous, because frankly...it was a slaughter.

Yeah, I read it after I wrote it and realized it was a typo. I was just too lazy to fix it. :/

Kurt Horsting:
For those that acctauly have meet Jwong, you'll know that hes a fucking monster of a player. He can counter your counter before you thought of pressing the buttons. He is super safe and if you leave yourself open for a second, you will loose. Right then and there. Although Umehara and Santhrax beat him at evo, he is still a champion. Hes a nice guy too, but rather simple. But i dont think his comments about Juri are that deep because he hasn't seen much from her, and most of the stuff that matters would just go over the heads of most people (frame advantage, zoning, etc)

shadowstriker86:

ChromeAlchemist:

nilcypher:

Also, anyone how thinks button mashing will work is a fucking moron who knows nothing about fighting games. And even the people who claim to know how to play dont know shit about the importaint things. They dont know anyting about mind games, mix-ups, resets, character match ups, footsies, spacing, yomi, or half of the shit that makes you a good player. There is much more to the game then the game itself.
Also, when it comes to SSBB, he does play a bit, he just doesn't like the game that much. Not that big a deal.

footsies? really? thats just sad if you have to defend something called footsies. the only thing that makes a person good at fighting games is timing. whether or not they'll be able to time the correct move to the other persons attack. thats it, theres nothing special about it. and yes button mashing does work, not 100% of the time but its fun to watch people go berserk cause they dont know whats comin, and if you played or even knew what mugen was, you'd know that

If your someone who thinks mugen is a legit fighting game, then your a fucking retard. Period. And Footies is where your opponent is at a range in which you attempt counter attack their pokes, or bait their attacks and poke them during recovery.
The only thing button mashers have to there advantage is that they are unpredictable, but in a way that usually hurts the person doing the mashing. Since predicting becomes pointless (since any attack my arbitrarily come out at any time for any reason) the best counter is either spamming high priority attacks (uppercuts, supers, etc), spam throws (since they are mashing, they wont tech or reversal your throws) or just zone and they will kill themselves off the spam.
The best example of this are the trap teams in MVC2 (Clockw0rk, Duc, Blackheart teams, etc...) They are basically a team that is designed around making an overwhelming amount of projectiles that force the to block in order to chip,to control the space on the screen, build super meter, and mix-up while they are locked down. Because the team is designed around doing a lot of chipping, if your opponent just blocks and waits for you to stop, you'll win since you dont need to stop. You can just keep doing the attack pattern till they are chipped to death.
Once you know the basics of a trap team, and you will just outright curbstomp a button masher since they dont know what is happening, they will not know how to correctly defend against it, and if they start hitting buttons (which is what they will do anyway), they will kill themselves trying by being hit by the overwhelming amount of projectiles. And if they react by blocking until the opponent stops, they will get chipped to death. A real player can get around the trap by looking for the right openings, counter calling assists, push blocking, and other things that a new player would have not even thought about.
Arguing that someone ignorant of how to play will beat someone who has proven to be one of the best in the world just by sheer luck simply based off of your ignorance the genre, and a real player will take a masher to school every fucking time.
To be fair, most people who "know what they are doing" are just mashing with moves that require execution to pull off. There is still no rhyme or reason for them doing the moves that they do, they have no plan aside from doing specials, they are basically a glorified masher that can do specials and maybe do shitty combos.
The point is that your arguement is that Jwong isn't good cause you beat a random shithead in Mugen while mashing, doesn't make any fucking sense what-so-ever. But i do have to admit, with all my hating mashers and basics on why mashing doesn't work; watching someone getting scrubbed out by a masher is very funny to me. But in a sad way. Its like watching your friend getting kicked in the nuts. Its Hilarious to watch, but you feel sad that he had to endure that pain.
Anyway, if your still reading here is a link that can show you what I mean when I talk about the depth of fighting games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMyv1OwLVvA
Its a REALLY deep look at how blackheart works in MVC2 and about the execution, mechanics, and mind games of the character.

Nincompoop:

ohgodalex:

Nincompoop:

nilcypher:

'Has shares his...'?

Utter and complete failure, if I do say so myself.

In complete agreement there.

Honestly, thats pretty cool; if he doesent say they throw it outta balance then they sure as shit don't.

xscoot:
SSBB is a party game. Sakurai himself even said that when developing it, he thought of it as a party game, not a fighting game.

If you put the fighting games in the world into "schools" Brawl is kindergarten level. Dead or Alive is elementary school, Street Fighter is high school, Tekken is university.

So does that make Rival Schools 8th grade or Freshman HS year? Wish we could get a sequel for that. A Capcom fighting game designed for a 4 button face controller.

The Chaos powers of a button mashing 10 year old child is real.

ToonLink:

vampirekid.13:

in the US, not the world.
Daigo kicks his ass.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook