Survey: "Tweens" Want Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Survey: "Tweens" Want Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas

A new survey has found that Guitar Hero 5 and the M-rated Modern Warfare 2 are among the games most wanted by "tweens" this holiday season.

Conducted by Weekly Reader Research and published by Game Crazy, the survey of 1000 "tweens" found that Guitar Hero 5, Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games were the games most wanted over the holidays by kids aged 8-17. But among boys aged 11-13, the M-rated shooter Modern Warfare 2 makes an appearance, tied for second place with Wii Sports Resort, while in the 14-17 year old bracket it leaps out to the front of the pack. The survey also found that half of boys "often" play a game with an ESRB rating that's above their age bracket.

The full survey results break down as follows:

Girls 8-10 Years Old
- Wii Sports Resort (Rated E) - 56 percent
- New Super Mario Brothers (Rated E) - 49 percent
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Rated E) - 44 percent

Girls 11-13 Years Old
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 53 percent
- Wii Sports Resort (Rated E) - 52 percent
- New Super Mario Brothers (Rated E) - 42 percent

Girls 14-17 Years Old
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 57 percent
- Wii Sports Resort (Rated E) - 48 percent
- New Super Mario Brothers (Rated E) - 48 percent

Boys 8-10 Years Old
- Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Rated E) - 48 percent
- New Super Mario Brothers (Rated E) - 47 percent
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 47 percent

Boys 11-13 Years Old
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 42 percent
- Modern Warfare 2 (Rated M) - 41 percent
- Wii Sports Resort (Rated E) - 41 percent

Boys 14-17 Years-Old
- Modern Warfare 2 (Rated M) - 46 percent
- Guitar Hero 5 (Rated T) - 45 percent
- Halo 3 ODST (Rated M) - 39 percent

It'd be easy to glance at the survey and come away with the impression that an awful lot of kids will soon be playing videogames they shouldn't be anywhere near, but there's a big difference between wanting something and actually getting it, or even expecting it. I wanted things when I was that age that I knew I had virtually no chance of getting (mostly the attention of girls); it's a natural part of being young.

"As Game Crazy's survey indicates, it's not unusual for younger kids to want to play what the older kids are playing," ESRB president Patricia Vance said. "Parents need to understand that not all video games are intended for younger players. The ESRB ratings provide guidance about content and age-appropriateness so parents can make sure the games their kids play are suitable for their age."

The survey also found that two-thirds of kids plan to ask for a new videogame system over the holidays: 24 percent say they want a Nintendo DSi, while 21 percent want either a Wii or PlayStation 3. A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.

Source: Gamasutra

Good the rate system is terrible anyway let em play what them want

It seems all girls like Mario?

Also you didn't bold one of the headlines

EDIT:

Malygris:
Girls 14-17 Years Old <----This one wasn't in bold

Fixed it for you

The rating system is only a guideline anyway, let them play what they want.

As long as they stay the fuck away from my vent, I'll be perfectly fine.

And Guitar hero V so popular? SHUUUUUUN!!!

A survey of 1000 people isn't really proportionate to the whole various age-group's, especially when you consider that there's really only a few hundred in each category.

kingcat1:

You want more 14 year olds screaming / singing down their microphones on CoD?

Praise be to party chat.

uhhh, 11-13 years olds want MW2...
seems to be a trend appearing. I have a sense of dread now. time to mute my headset in preparation.

Kids shouldn't be kept away from things anyway

Why is Guitar Hero rated for Teens?

D_987:
A survey of 1000 people isn't really proportionate to the whole various age-group's, especially when you consider that there's really only a few hundred in each category.

kingcat1:

You want more 14 year olds screaming / singing down their microphones on CoD?

Praise be to party chat.

Praise be to the Mute button, more like.

^^suggestive lyrics, the odd 'shit' or 'fuck'

I would be more angry if I actually used game chat. Now I'm almost always in a party one with friends in the game.

Malygris:
A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.

I thank you.

Didn't know the ladies where into Mario that much. Somebody should really get them a PS3 or a Xbox 360

O yes the fresh stack of noobs at Christmas I completely forgot about those, you gotta love fresh meat.

And to be honest I'm not all that surprised by that list...

what the heck is a tween? sound like a little bird or an infectious disease that will cause purple ninja zombie nazi bots, or it will when my funding comes through.
MAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Amnestic:

Praise be to the Mute button, more like.

Not so, I don't want to have to listen to any of the *word deleted* that plague high profile first person shooters - I do however want to communicate with friends in the same game - hence my praise is directed at party chat.

hearing how so many people want guitar hero makes me ashamed of liking it DAMN IT now i cant get it or ill be equivalent to an over-cursing immature 8 year old but i cant wait to pwn some new live noobs in CoD

its a bad thing.....if little kids get 360s, and get live, microsoft will spend more time marketing to kids, and eventually they will get a year or two older and get halo, then theyll be annoying kids screaming and crying into their mics...hope to god they get the xbox arcade

I really hope that the 11-13 demographic doesn't get Modern Warfare 2...

Malygris:
A separate, much smaller survey, meanwhile, found that people who use the word "tween" in regular conversation should be punched until they are no longer capable of making noise.

I'm guilty of using it in a conversation but it was regarding flash/flex not the age group.

When using it to refer to the age group it is one of those words that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, along with nails on a chalkboard, and when people use words like synergy synonymously with teamwork just because they think it sounds cooler.

Yes, I do in fact hate the word tween.

Why am I not surprised by this?

Can't wait to hear brats shouting "NOOB!" every 2 seconds in MW2.

Also whoever spawned this "tweens" word should get his balls cut off with a piano string.

Great, all that while Infinity Ward is going to completely destroy any positive reputation that gamers have left thanks to thier "Go into an airport and shoot every unarmed terrified civilist you can see for some terrorists"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoSXuCDzlXc
(Probably down within the next few minutes)

i say dont let them play it, because you know the parents are going to go bat shit over whats in the game even though it says 17 and up on the box. plus, there will be less squeaky 12 year old voices on Live

That's a bullshit rating system. God damn i hate FPS', why isn't Dragon Age Origins up there? ARGH!

Interesting that despite the gender difference most young girls and boys want the same game (especially at an earlier ages)) I mean besides Halo 3 and Modern warfare 2 only being on the boy's side, those lists are almost identical between gender groups.

Greyfox105:
uhhh, 11-13 years olds want MW2...
seems to be a trend appearing. I have a sense of dread now. time to mute my headset in preparation.

Have a Terran engineer look at it.

So that would explain why Infinity Ward has embraced dual-wielding and crippled the PC's server system! Those evil bastards! They're trying to make the game more attractive to children!

"The Return of Joe Camel", anyone?

i hate that parents blame the gaming industry for making violent games when they the ones buying the games and seeing the huge RATED M FOR MATURE on the front

Is it just me or do the adults who play COD:MW act like the children who pretend to be their age?

Shows you who's going to be playing online...

Honestly one of the things that turns me off about games like Modern Warfare 2 is all the kids online.

Malygris:
I wanted things when I was that age that I knew I had virtually no chance of getting (mostly the attention of girls); it's a natural part of being young.

Aww Maly! Made me chuckle!

But it seems to me as though this survey is biased. It's the same games on both sides. It makes me feel as though those were the only choices given and they had to rank them in order of which they wanted.

New Super Mario Bros? The girls have better taste in games than the boys do.

Watch, the kids will get MW2, and the parents that bought it for them will be blaming the game for showing their children mature things.

Kids will get the game, parents these days seem to just want to give their kids what they want to shut them up.
God help the poor souls who go into MW2 not in party chat...

Damn microsoft for giving everyone on xbox live a headset!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here