Construction Loader Robot Takes Cues From Aliens

Construction Loader Robot Takes Cues From Aliens

Japanese engineers have developed a powered exoskeleton based on the "power loader" used by Sigourney Weaver in the climax of Aliens.

The machine, developed by Japanese engineering group Activelink, is officially called the "Dual-Arm Power Amplification Robot," but that's lame and boring - so this pair of robot arms is unofficially referred to as the "power loader" after its Hollywood inspiration used by Ellen Ripley to kick some Xenomorph ass in Aliens.

The power loader is being developed for use in disaster relief situations, and will allow the user to easily lift weights in excess of 100kg (220.46 lbs). Unfortunately, the exoskeleton itself weighs 230kg (507 lbs), making it difficult to use without proper support - and heavy enough to crush most average humans.

In speaking with news.com.au, Chief Engineer Go Shirogauchi said that safety for the operator was the primary concern - and that it wasn't just about the device's weight, either. "The most important challenge is not to injure the operator with the amplified power ... for that challenge, a delicate control and a mechanics design which does not put too much force onto a human in the worst situation is required."

Though the exoskeleton's primary use will be construction and disaster relief, Shirogauchi said that it was being designed with modularity in mind - as a "common platform" that could be specialized for any number of construction jobs, similarly to how a "truck can be converted to a dumper truck, a cement mixer car, a crane car, a fire engine, a bus or something else by replacing the carrier."

While the most obvious (and totally badass) modification would be to load that bad boy up with some serious f*ckin' firepower, Shirogauchi said Activelink had no plans for a combat model. Really, guys? You build a powerful robot exoskeleton and then don't let us kick ass with it?

That is so unfair.

The belt (harness) looks tight.

...Ouch

pimppeter2:

...Ouch

Codpiece, maybe? I don't think that they'd overlook such an obvious design flaw.

Anyway, since it still needs support, we're a ways off from fighting giant alien monsters with it...

For now.

One step closer...

Looks awesome, though I'm sure this isn't the first powered exoskeleton type thing I've seen to come out of Japan. It is the first that looks like a Power Loader thingy though.

That looks very uncomfortable.

Its cool and all, but until they actually use it to fight aliens I could care less.

CantFaketheFunk:
-snip-
You build a powerful robot exoskeleton and then don't let us kick ass with it?

That is so unfair.

Not like they'd trust any of us with proto-power armour anyway. we'd cause too much havoc.
hehehe, I can't wait... cybernetic limbs... power armour prototypes... power loaders...
IwantIwantIwant.

Meh. Just replace one arm with a minigun and the other with a flamethrower and you'll have a killing machine.

Now all he needs to do is paint it yellow and add a blowtorch.

Amnestic:
Snip.

Ah, Escaflowne. That was a good series.

Didn't the suit transform into a dragon though? Or am I thinking of another series?

That thing looks painful to wear esp for the next generation, if you get my drift.

That harness makes me wince. But then, I'm sure they designed it for Ripply aye?

scotth266:

Amnestic:
Snip.

Didn't the suit transform into a dragon though? Or am I thinking of another series?

That is the very same series, yes. And it was awesome.

Amnestic:

scotth266:

Amnestic:
Snip.

That is the very same series, yes. And it was awesome.

My view of the series has faded somewhat, it being several years later and my standards being higher... but since it is one of the few bishonen series that was serious business (as opposed to the stuff that tends to pass for bishonen these days), I still hold it in high esteem.

Also, the suit is just fucking awesome. RAWR!

It doesn't have to be designed for combat to be used in combat...

I don't get why so many people here want that awesome machine to be used to kill... :/

Laura.:
I don't get why so many people here want that awesome machine to be used to kill... :/

Because of this, this and this.

Boys and their mass murder machines toys. There's nothing not cool about combat mecha.

Unless we're talking about Sandrock. Let's face it, that thing was shite.

until it looks like this...
I'll pass until then.

Amnestic:

Boys and their mass murder machines toys. There's nothing not cool about combat mecha.

In fiction, sure. But I'd hate to see modern armies with mecha...

"Get away from her you BITCH!"

all it needs is a safety cage and a yellow paint job and they're so there.

I might actually get a job that entails the use of this machine just so I can say casually in conversation,

"I've got a level 4 license to operate that 'loader there."

pimppeter2:

...Ouch

that might explain his expresion...

Laura.:

Amnestic:

In fition, sure. But I'd hate to see modern armies with mecha...

Even if they reduce casualty rates? Fielding a squad of ten hewge mecha to control a town poses less risk to your armed forces than fielding two battallions of foot soldiers with variable vehicle support.

Heck, if we just get a few of those Matrix APU's, they could stand in for ten foot soldiers a piece.

I work with a powered jack at a warehouse, and something like this would kick awesome. So much easier than a walkie skid.

And I really anticipate the days when legéd machinery overtakes treaded ones. image

Battle application of these things is nearly impossible and totally impractical. They would need to enhance the speed and armor to a point not yet possible by our technology. If it moves too slow, it'd have to be built tougher than a tank and not be knocked off it's feet. If it's not that tough, it'd have to be fast enough to evade any directed missle weapon. It's best use would have to be urban pascification and that's a stretch. You're better going with an ED-209 that isn't manned and is disposable.

Now... space exploration, on the other hand... this has plenty of potential. And in space, there's always some critter that you can stomp. No, wait... that's fantasy. No life in our corner of the universe. Just us balding monkeys and our pets.

We are now one step closer to robotic warfare

I agree that a real combat application is a ways off. Besides, Japan isn't really known for developing weapons (given that they have a minimal army). Most of the applications for this will be civilian.

That said, the Pentagon is working on similar stuff. Their current goal is to produce a combat exoskeleton that would allow a soldier to carry more equipment. I do agree that there would be a benefit if we could actually get some sort of power armor into the field (I'm thinking closer to Space Marines than any sort of mecha). It would be great for urban warfare - and could definitely result in fewer casualties.

Consider if Israel had had this sort of thing in the Gaza war last winter. They wouldn't have had to use airstrikes and missiles to disarm Hamas. A single soldier in power armor, effectively immune to bullets, could assault a Qassam site or arsenal, destroy the weapons, kill the terrorists, all without any collateral damage. Even if a terrorist has a civilian standing right in front of him, making it too dangerous to shoot, the power armored soldier could just walk over and either pull them apart so the terrorist can be taken prisoner, or simply bitch-slap the guy halfway to Sderot.

SirBryghtside:
Combat model would be awesome, probably a bit like those robots from the Matrix Revolution.

Yes, a giant metal monstrosity spouting lead at high velocity, with a completely exposed operator, fighting in a war in which the most used ammunition would be the same pieces of lead traveling at high velocity and with high accuracy. I don't see any problems at all! And even if they were evil robots instead, surely half an inch of steel would have at least make the robots work for it? "it" being the whole business of tearing the operator up.

The Matrix Revolution design for those robots was borderline retarded.
And in any case, bombs and really, really long range weaponry are the gods of war. And chances are, they still will be. Ye olde knight-in-armor thing is pretty damn obsolete in a war... and if it was some kind of urban warfare, it'd probably be too big and slow to get through - and have too much useless firepower. If a guy with a gun can move fast, get through small entrances and kill people, why would you need a guy with a giant metal phallic armor armed with guns?

On topic...

Awesome, exoskeletons are cool. I can imagine all the possible applications in constructions.
Although, I bet the user would need pretty good coordination to use that. Sooo... maybe gaming is going to be a standard course for using these things?

Meshakhad:
I agree that a real combat application is a ways off. Besides, Japan isn't really known for developing weapons (given that they have a minimal army). Most of the applications for this will be civilian.

That said, the Pentagon is working on similar stuff. Their current goal is to produce a combat exoskeleton that would allow a soldier to carry more equipment. I do agree that there would be a benefit if we could actually get some sort of power armor into the field (I'm thinking closer to Space Marines than any sort of mecha). It would be great for urban warfare - and could definitely result in fewer casualties.

Consider if Israel had had this sort of thing in the Gaza war last winter. They wouldn't have had to use airstrikes and missiles to disarm Hamas. A single soldier in power armor, effectively immune to bullets, could assault a Qassam site or arsenal, destroy the weapons, kill the terrorists, all without any collateral damage. Even if a terrorist has a civilian standing right in front of him, making it too dangerous to shoot, the power armored soldier could just walk over and either pull them apart so the terrorist can be taken prisoner, or simply bitch-slap the guy halfway to Sderot.

I'll have to disagree with that.

First of all, I can't see this- or any type of modern armor - surviving an explosion. Even a pretty small one. Even if it's completely closed up, the temperature combined with sheer force from the blast would probably kill off the pilot. And guess what's easy to make and is rather available? Explosives.

Second of all, I doubt that any of these exo-skeletons provide somehow improved movement speed. Rather, you'd be pretty damn slow in it - I've seen a demonstration of a similar exo-skeleton, a light one at that - something that could potentially let crippled/paralyzed people move around on two feet... And it was rather clumsy. And if it was made for combat, it'd have to provide some kind of armor - and the weapons are heavy enough as it is... So it'd be just like the exo skeleton in this article, too heavy for a person. And wheels, while fairly good at what they are doing, might not be the best for, say, stairs and bad terrain.

Oh, and the cost would be huge, too.

Also, this isn't Iron Man. The guy would just shoot the prisoner.

Gormourn:

Meshakhad:

I'll have to disagree with that.

First of all, I can't see this- or any type of modern armor - surviving an explosion. Even a pretty small one. Even if it's completely closed up, the temperature combined with sheer force from the blast would probably kill off the pilot. And guess what's easy to make and is rather available? Explosives.

Second of all, I doubt that any of these exo-skeletons provide somehow improved movement speed. Rather, you'd be pretty damn slow in it - I've seen a demonstration of a similar exo-skeleton, a light one at that - something that could potentially let crippled/paralyzed people move around on two feet... And it was rather clumsy. And if it was made for combat, it'd have to provide some kind of armor - and the weapons are heavy enough as it is... So it'd be just like the exo skeleton in this article, too heavy for a person. And wheels, while fairly good at what they are doing, might not be the best for, say, stairs and bad terrain.

Oh, and the cost would be huge, too.

Also, this isn't Iron Man. The guy would just shoot the prisoner.

All good points, it's clearly not ready for combat yet, and might not be in the near future.

But it should be clear to people that technology is advancing at an alarming rate and it's going to be the future soon. While in its current incarnation it's no where near combat worthy, it may be sooner than we think. DARPA has been known to perform miracles, when their experiments actually succeed.

This is all very well but where can I get my gundam or at least a wanzer

also to any one who says it to heavy for a person its called an exo-skeleton for a reason it would carry its own weight so to the guy in side it would be weightless

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here