No Aliens vs. Predator for Germany

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No Aliens vs. Predator for Germany

Sorry, Germany, but Sega has apparently decided to save itself some hassle by just not bothering to release Aliens vs. Predator in your country when it comes out next year.

Sega is apparently concerned that the high levels of violence in the game will keep it from being rated by the Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle (USK), the German videogame rating agency. The publisher doesn't want to disrupt the "coherence" with the Alien and Predator brands by modifying the content to fit USK restrictions, so rather than going to the expense of having the game translated and localized for Germany it has decided not to release it in the country at all.

German site PC Games Hardware says the move is "unexpected but not surprising" given the level of violence expected in the game and the fact that a USK rejection would almost certainly mean Sega would lose money on a German release. Sega will presumably still submit the game for consideration in Australia, another country notorious for refusing to classify violent videogames, because a translated version won't be necessary.

At this point, PC Games Hardware is the only site reporting on this announcement; we've dropped a line to Sega Europe for official confirmation and will update once we have it.

that stinks or Germans lol

One word: Scheisse!

Germany and Australia: the axis of gaming! XD

Sorry about the news my german compatriots! But seeing a good deal of you speak english and have the internet, just get yourself a US copy :P

Meh. I prefer playing the English versions anyway.
And all those little kiddies that are supposed to be protected by this'll get it from the internet regardless.

DTWolfwood:
But seeing a good deal of you speak english and have the internet, just get yourself a US copy :P

Exactly (though I usually get them from the UK, not the US, as that's nearer, cheaper and takes less time).

It'd be more of a hassle in Austrailia. Austrailia makes Germany look like to most easy going gaming country ever.

orangebandguy:
It'd be more of a hassle in Austrailia. Austrailia makes Germany look like to most easy going gaming country ever.

And Venezuela and China make Australia look like the worlds biggest LAN party.

Skeleon:
And all those little kiddies that are supposed to be protected by this'll get it from the internet regardless.

Very true.

Emulators are a wonderful thing.

think this is secretly payback for WWII? >> << lol

I get the impression that the German government tries to brush the existence of violence under the carpet. Australia seems more uppity about it but acknowledges it, Germany just gives me the impression it's going "Vat violence? Ve know no violence."

Malygris:
Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle

I do love the German's propensity for making the mildest of things sound like WMDs.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Malygris:

I do love the German's propensity for making the mildest of things sound like WMDs.

It means "Entertainment Software Self-Control".

TyrantGanado:
I get the impression that the German government tries to brush the existence of violence under the carpet. Australia seems more uppity about it but acknowledges it, Germany just gives me the impression it's going "Vat violence? Ve know no violence."

On the contrary. They're so very aware of violence that anything even tinged with it must immediately be controlled. Their paranoia is very sad.
Their small-mindedness ("videogames brutal, teenagers brutal, teenagers play videogames, so videogames reason") and laziness ("What social issues? Lack of perspectives for the future? Fear of underachievement? What are you talking about? There must be a simpler solution to adress these issues than actually doing something!") even more.

I smell a turd anyway. shit movie+shit previous games = future shit(s)

I guess that means there's probably no release for Australia either.
Poor australian and German gamers.

Not surprising really... but it sucks anyways. :/

JWAN:

I really liked Aliens versus Predator 2, I wouldn't call it a "shit previous game".
Or were there any other AvP games I'm not aware of that you are refering to as crappy?

It's sad for most German gamers, obviously some like Skeleon will try to get imports, but the majority of gamers will lose out. However, Sega's decision to try and get an Australian classification is a bit of a silver lining, since if it fails there then it'll most likely fail in Germany too which makes this decision a good one. However, if it does somehow, against the odds, get classified successfully in Australia, then it's a safe bet that Germany will accept it too, in which case everybody wins. Except for the likes of Thompson and Vaz and their German counterparts, and who really gives a flying fuck about them?

Can't be too bad. Considering that Germany seems to ban quite a lot of games, I'm guessing German gamers have become all too comfortable with the idea of importing.

Well, at least Europe won't have another probector incedent.

Here's an idea... My election to the position of El Presidente de Americana isn't proceeding very well, why don't you Germans elect me as High Chancellor of Germany. I promise to eliminate censorship, bolster the economy through increased exportation of Heineken to yuppie American bars, and invade Poland hand out free puppies.

Why am I NOT surprised...

I wouldn't have thought Germany would find the game that interesting considering it is yet another game centred around the 'worlds best 1337 US marine corps'.

Skeleon:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Malygris:

It means "Entertainment Software Self-Control".

Oh, I know enough German to decipher it, it's just that the German pronunciation uses so many hard sounds, long words and split imperatives that many words seem to obtain sinister connotations. Similarly with Russian and Gujarati.

Even the UK Governmental group DEFRA sounds a lot more sinister than it actually is. (the Farming Ministry basically)

French, however, does the reverse - when even strong slurs sound romantic.

Which Scout sounds scarier?

Skeleon:

Exactly (though I usually get them from the UK, not the US, as that's nearer, cheaper and takes less time).

Well at the moment the Dollar is rather weak, so even with Airmail you might get it cheaper then ordering it from the UK and yeah most of the time the German translations are horrible, most of the time because of sub par voice actors and wooden translations.

Kudos to Sega.

If the country is going to categorically deny any mature content game from receiving a rating and be released without jumping through an obscene number of hoops, just refuse to deal with them any more.
I wholeheartedly agree with their decision until their ratings board grow up.

Besides, I'm sure the more sensible people living there will find other ways to obtain said games with this new "internet" thing catching on.

aBlackKnight:
Well at the moment the Dollar is rather weak, so even with Airmail you might get it cheaper then ordering it from the UK...

Maybe. But it'd still take 3-4 weeks instead of 1.

I kind of saw that coming, I can't freakin wait to get my hands on AvP.

The_root_of_all_evil:

To me? The French guy.

Skeleon:

The_root_of_all_evil:

To me? The French guy.

Seriously? Ok...that's a twist. Have you heard the Spanish Scout? He sounds like he's already on "Bonk!".

What would you say are the "aggressive"/"passive" languages from a German PoV?
(Seriously interested as I love languages)

The_root_of_all_evil:

Finnish.

Skeleon:

Maybe. But it'd still take 3-4 weeks instead of 1.

Austrian web shops then :P

JWAN:

on the contrary, this looks set to be fantastic, and In my opinion the previous games were also good. I'll concur on the movies however.

I just want to state one thing. I fucking called it!
Next is australia. Developers are just gonna start telling them to go feth themselves. I am just concerned about the developers in the desert wasteland.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Have you heard the Spanish Scout?

No, I hadn't, but I just searched on it for YouTube.
Sounds very melodic.

I'm not sure.
Russian, maybe but just when spoken stereotypically (I went to Russia as part of a school exchange and the people there, too, speak very fluently and melodically).
Apart from French I can't really think of any (and that might have to do with my personal dislike of the language - not the people, mind).

Swedish, Dutch and the like sound similar to German to me. Would you consider them "aggressive" as well?

Bad sound quality, unfortunately.

I guess Sega is going to be suprised how often this game is going to be pirated.

The_root_of_all_evil:
[quote="Skeleon" post="7.154814.3760943"]What would you say are the "aggressive"/"passive" languages from a German PoV?

Turkish. It's a language you hear quite often here.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.