Microsoft Bans up to One Million Xbox Live Accounts

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Microsoft Bans up to One Million Xbox Live Accounts

In an effort to combat piracy, Microsoft has banned up to a million Xbox Live users whose Xbox 360 consoles have been modified to allow them to play pirated games.

Ouch - as part of its annual November piracy sweep, the Redmond-based software giant announced that it had banned "a small percentage" of Xbox Live users worldwide from playing online. As with previous sweeps, the banhammer was targeted at Xbox 360 owners who had physically modified their consoles to be able to play illegally obtained copies of games - though as noted in the Guardian's report, modded consoles are also used to play homebrew applications and imported titles that would otherwise be unplayable.

The exact number of consoles affected by the sweep has been estimated at anywhere from 600,000 up to one million. While a million is still a pretty darn big number, considering that there are ~20 million Xbox Live users in the world, we're still dealing with less than 5% of the total - which would fit with Microsoft's claim that it had banned "a small percentage" of the total userbase.

According to Microsoft, the annual sweep detects consoles that have had the hardware modded to play pirated games, and adds them to a list which is then fed to Mr. Permaban. While the Xbox Live ban doesn't prevent the console from functioning normally offline, it does mean that if gamers want to play online multiplayer, they'll have to get a new Xbox Live account - and more importantly, a new Xbox 360.

It's unclear exactly how Microsoft detects whether a console has been modded or not (since it isn't like they're physically coming into your home to check), and the company is unlikely to reveal specific details anytime soon, lest clever modders figure out how to fool the system. That isn't to say that nobody thinks they can dodge the long arm of the not-quite-law - some modders claim to be able to turn off the chips in order to avoid detection, viewing a no-pirated-game-November as preferable to getting banned from the service for good.

While virtually all hardware modification of consoles is illegal in the United States and Europe, that hasn't stopped it from becoming a fairly large business. But remember - as this mass banning shows, mod at your own risk.

(Via Edge)

Yeah I read this on BBC news. Huge number, surprised me. I'm glad I own a PC.

Well that sucks for them.

I really thought that there would have been more than a million.

ae86gamer:
Well that sucks for them.

I really thought that there would have been more than a million.

Only a million have been detected, doubtless there are plently more.
I would hate for mircosoft to be able to control my hardware like that, I do what I please with my pc, try and stop me MS.

Good! Lock 'em out!
I can't stand piracy, so it's good to see something else being done besides ineffective DRM.

I heard this on the radio on the way home from work, along with the best/funniest comment regarding piracy ever: "When they banned me it felt like someone had told me my dog had died". Seriously, I'm losing more and more faith in humanity as the days go on...

If they're stupid enough to mod their consoles and break the clear rules of the licensing agreement, then they deserve to have their consoles banned. Good work MS.

Good thing I haven't gotten my 360 modded.

As someone who has always loved and legally bought their games I have no sympathy with pirates. But I do worry that it may catch out those who are modding their consoles for other reasons.

Baby Tea:
Good! Lock 'em out!
I can't stand piracy, so it's good to see something else being done besides ineffective DRM.

Agreed

I paid good money for countless AAA titles on my 360 and I don't want some wanker with an internet connection and a modchip to be get the same title for nothing, they are parasites like Paris Hilton and the Conservatives so I have no sympathy for them

They're only banned from Xbox Live which, in my experience, is the worst part of owning a 360 anyway.

well at least it working

Good for Microsoft.

Wanna know something funny? My store only buys systems with broken Microsoft Warentee Stickers for $7. Punks! HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!

Your expensive pirating doesn't pay.

pirates of any nature (somalian or gamer) seem to share the similar characteristic in that when they get caught or shot down (literally for the former haha) they never admit or acknowledge fault (not even an "oops") but instead it's a "how dare you America!" or "nooo Micro$oft banned me" lol

I mean, the risks are pretty clear...accept the consequences, seriously

I don't mess with my stuff (not even jail breaking the iTouch), tho I do have friends who mod their Wiis, PSPs...but one guy was like "yeah I'm not gonna risk getting banned on my 360/GT"

wow, i'm glad i play on PC where the pirates roam free.

I'd have to guess that this is done by banning people who end up with the games early. A buddy of mine has had his modded 360 since I can remember, and he has never been hit by the ban hammer. Plays all his torrented games online quite frequently, just never connects to xbox live unless the game has officially been released.

Fear the XBL overlords. I'm glad i own a PC.

Good. Pirates deserve it.

XBOX Live Pirates= Achievement Whores. enough said from me

CD repo man:
wow, i'm glad i play on PC where the pirates roam free.

<Foams at mouth at the idiocy and and evil that is this person>

It's almost enough to turn me to console gaming.

Wow, that a big number. I was almost scared for a second about myself. Then I read that it was about Piracy, and relaxed

LGC Pominator:

Baby Tea:
Good! Lock 'em out!

Agreed

I paid good money for countless AAA titles on my 360 and I don't want some wanker with an internet connection and a modchip to be get the same title for nothing, they are parasites like Paris Hilton and the Conservatives so I have no sympathy for them

Just what we need, another console owning bleeding heart!

By the way I agree with everything you said, minus the conservative bit.

Well they caught 1 million, but you have to wonder how many they didn't catch. I can say with total certainty they didn't catch all of them and I'd wager that of the ones they did catch the majority will find a way to get back sooner rather than later. Piracy will 99 times out of 100 adapt to these minor set backs and be back and stronger than ever until the next bump in the road comes along then it will be time to adapt and move forward yet again.

and here i thought piracy was reserved only for the PC [add sarcasm]

all of my pirate friends have 2 systems anyways. One for 'trying' a game and one for purchased games. So look on the bright side, Microsoft is selling more consoles by virtue of the fact their machine is so easily modded and bannable. XD

Curious, y are these modded machines even plugged onto the internet? its as if they havent heard about the previous bans.

Major lols at the fact they are only managing to ban people with modchips, welcome to 1999 MS. The major way to mod 360s now is with flashed firmware on the CD drive of the 360.

They aren't modifying your hardware or 'controlling' your hardware - they are preventing you from using an online service they provide as you violated the EULA.

And good for them. You have to know that Microsoft is doing well when they can voluntarily cut off ~ 1,000,000 people who were paying a monthly fee directly to them.

LGC Pominator:
... they are parasites like Paris Hilton and the Conservatives so I have no sympathy for them

You make no sense at all.

Nothing really new from Microsoft.

November ban wave + plus Christmas = major sales in Xbox 360s.

Oh Microsoft you crafty devils.

One thing that's for sure is that I'm not buying any more DLC or Arcade games from live. If there is even the slightest chance that my unmodded XBox can be messed with in this way, stopping me playing my games, then I have no confidence in their content.

"though as noted in the Guardian's report, modded consoles are also used to play homebrew applications and imported titles that would otherwise be unplayable."

I could use a tank to drive to work but that doesn't mean I, the common man, should be allowed to have one.

Even if there are potential uses that wouldn't fall under the moral catagory of being "wrong," the potential for that malevolent action to take place insurmountably outweighs any other, more decent, action because the consiquences of the former are far, far, more signficant than the consiquences of the latter.

Dare I say it, the Modocaust?

Sorry bad joke, anyways wii modding is where its at, anyways!

Bretty:

LGC Pominator:

Baby Tea:
Good! Lock 'em out!

Agreed

Just what we need, another console owning bleeding heart!

By the way I agree with everything you said, minus the conservative bit.

I was just kidding, I like the conservatives, they are damned hilarious, its the crazy ones that I just cannot stand, you know, like god warrior and bill o' rielly

also the entire population of townhall.com
I am not affiliated with either political party, i just find it easier to laugh at the conservatives because their particular brand of crazy is far more humorous than the liberal "crying about a problem until it goes away" model

soz if I inadvertently offended anyone :D

also @ cobrasun
I didn't intend to make sense, I just seen the opportunity to take a jab at an annoying celebutante and a crazy political party and I took it

Feed em' to the briny deep, the theiving scum.

Pirates deserve what they get. It's a pity that some legit modders may suffer, but they'll figure out a way around it, I suppose... just as the pirates will.

Why would anyone mod an Xbox 360,anyway? I don't think there are too much of an "no export" trouble on it,and you can get almost all of it's library on the PC if you that want to pirate it. It's kinda weird there's so much pirates - not like there could be 1 million of hardcore modders.

Wow, it turns out that Microsoft are a bunch of spastic childish cocks.

Also, since it is clear that you haven't been on this side of the earth's crust for the past millenium......IT WAS EARTH ALL ALONG!!!

xx

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or