The Matrix Reborn in the Silent Film Era

The Matrix Reborn in the Silent Film Era

Here's something you don't see every day: A sort of "reverse remake" that turns the groundbreaking film The Matrix into a grainy, piano-driven flick straight out of the golden age of silent films.

Have you ever wondered what the Wachowski brothers' modern sci-fi classic would be like if it had been recorded in 1922? Neither have I, but thanks to the Russian comedy group Bolshaya Raznitsa (Big Difference), we don't have to!

The video features numerous hallmarks from that by-gone era, including thrown pies, grating piano music and even a Charlie Chaplin-esque hero. "I know kung-fu," meanwhile, has been replaced with a rousing bout of fisticuffs and of course the difficulties with selecting the red pill or the blue pill in a black-and-white film are also touched on. A lot of work has gone into this retro-remake and it shows.

Source: The Ridiculant, with thanks to The_root_of_all_evil for the tip.

I propose the name, "the adventures of Charlie Chaplin and eyebrows".

Now THIS cracked me up. That's comedy!

gotta love jump cuts, pure awesome i wonder why people don't do this kind of film more often

the one thing that could have improved the matrix: fisticuffs!

I didn't really expect it, but that was actually quite funny. They should make more. Maybe one for each film?

Good stuff.

Better stuff. Though that's probably because I've played L4D more recently than I've seen the Matrix.

I loled. That video was pure awesome.

Wonderful.

Love the red/blue pill bit.

MMmmm digital pies...

What about all the machines?? Still...damn funny though! :D

Heh. Mr Smith, such a scoundrel.

'Hi! We're Smithes! You're all finished!' Such a friendly greeting and ultimatum. :D

If only the Matrix trilogy was as good as that 6min video.

That was just amazing. I love both silent movies and The Matrix, though I had never thought a combination of the two could be this good.

scotth266:

Better stuff. Though that's probably because I've played L4D more recently than I've seen the Matrix.

Honestly while the L4D video is bloody hilarious, I wouldn't say it's better. There is something to be said for live-action video over machinima, and I think the Matrix one was executed better. Come on, look at Morpheus' eyebrows!

That was brilliant, "you're all scoundrels!"

That is either the best or the worst fan video I have ever seen. I can't decide which, but the pills cracked me up so I'm probably going to side with best.

But where in the hell was the oracle?

Spotted it this morning and thought you'd all appreciate it :)

meh

The_root_of_all_evil:
Spotted it this morning and thought you'd all appreciate it :)

I would've thought they'd put the Agents in there as the Keystone Cops.

This looks exactly like those old terrible Russian Sci-Fi movies I had to watch in class. How much research the did comedians do?.

Pure genius. Thanks for sharing!

That's it I'm done! I'm now sponging brains from the inside of my skull. I did not need this. Stick to articles about Tim Langdell, my head goes *BOOSH* less often. I'm done with the Escapist! (for tonight, nice try anyone who hates me)

Big Difference? On the Escapist? Just wow. Didn't think they make it that far. For your information,half of their videos is unfunny,the other half are completely hilarious.

Pseudonym2:
This looks exactly like those old terrible Russian Sci-Fi movies I had to watch in class. How much research the did comedians do?.

It looks like ALL old terrible Sci-Fi movies. It's a part of the "really really old movie" style,just like Charlie Chaplin.

That was actually pretty amazing, for a while I thought that it was just a Charley Chaplin movie recut.

I give this one a most solid rating of: Absolutely Fantastic!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here